First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 49cent View Post

Outside of RJ Young, it’s getting pretty barren for OU coverage around Oklahoma. I honestly don’t understand that.
    Most journalists in Oklahoma are egomaniacs who finally "made it" when the Thunder came to town. College is "beneath" them now.

Comment

I would say that while they will still take million of dollars of state tax money for its athletics the reduction of welfare subsides and living much closer to what they actually make will be good for fosu.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
        They are on KREF this morning saying OU wouldn't want to play osu but once every 5 to 10 years...

Fewer trips to Stillwater is a big perk but playing osu only in Norman would be an even bigger perk.
        Ironically: Oklahoma gets the spot Texas A&M wanted: the sole flagship school of it's state..!

Comment

Originally posted by Val on the Getner View Post

Most journalists in Oklahoma are egomaniacs who finally "made it" when the Thunder came to town. College is "beneath" them now.
          Well, they can enjoy talking about one of the worst teams in the NBA now for all I care.

Comment

I would say that while they will still take million of dollars of state tax money for its athletics the reduction of welfare subsides and living much closer to what they actually make will be good for fosu.
            Some are so blinded by the orange koolaid they are arguing that they’re going to make out better in this deal. Most are flipping shit because they realize their glass ceiling will be lowered quite a bit without OU and Texas money to support their wasteful habits. No more Sugar Daddy Boone and losing big brother(s) welfare check doesn’t look good for the agroids.

There will be surely an adjustment if they fell to G5. It wouldn’t kill them having a shot at a good basketball or baseball team and it doesn’t appear anybody cares to challenge them in wrasslin. Not the end of the world for them to go play with the Boise States and SMUs of the world. I just wonder without that extra coin if they’d do much better in the win column. Gundy won’t stay forever and some of their better players were fringe G5/P5 players coming out of high school. Do they continue to find the guys like Justin Blackmon if they’re playing a lower level of sport? Do those guys start taking more chances with the P5’s oversigning practices?

It surely would be amusing to see how it plays out. Like, hypothetically speaking— OU and Texas ship out to the SEC. watch the agroid evolution from there. Five more years in the BIG12 and five years separated. What happens from there?

Comment

Better road trips for fans every season. Ames, Manhattan, Stoolwater and Lubbock just dont do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post
                Better road trips for fans every season. Ames, Manhattan, Stoolwater and Lubbock just dont do anything for me.
                A trip to the swamp or the grove could be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post
                  Even the underwhelming trips like Arkansas are better than Stoolwater, Lubbock and either of the Kansas towns. Just my experience speaking here.

The SEC has always been full of blowhard fans who can’t take a loss or any criticism of their beloved conference very well. That being said, they have the best slate of gameday experiences for the traveling fans.

Comment

Even the underwhelming trips like Arkansas are better than Stoolwater, Lubbock and either of the Kansas towns. Just my experience speaking here.

The SEC has always been full of blowhard fans who can’t take a loss or any criticism of their beloved conference very well. That being said, they have the best slate of gameday experiences for the traveling fans.
                    Can't argue about Lubbock. That's the shittiest place ever. The rest are just meh. Of course, you'll also get to go to Columbia, MO (meh) and multiple shitholes in Mississippi and Alabama now.

And the SEC schools are now going "fuck, we will have to go to that shithole Norman?"

Comment

Originally posted by keef View Post

Can't argue about Lubbock. That's the shittiest place ever. The rest are just meh. Of course, you'll also get to go to Columbia, MO (meh) and multiple shitholes in Mississippi and Alabama now.

And the SEC schools are now going "fuck, we will have to go to that shithole Norman?"
                      I’m only one guy, of course… but the Alabama and Tennessee fans were awesome when they came to Norman and seemed to really enjoy it. It’s the agroids and the Misery tiggers who I’m sure will have the most to say.

Comment

Outside of RJ Young, it’s getting pretty barren for OU coverage around Oklahoma. I honestly don’t understand that. The again, I don’t care to listen to most of what Oklahoma sportscasters like to go on and on about. The SECN is gold if you like one of the teams there. You get SoonerSports TV if you pay for it here or you get crap like the Sports Urinal.
                        I seen another guy on YT that does lots of Oklahoma stuff, don't recall his name. But sometimes he seems to post some click bait

Comment

I’m only one guy, of course… but the Alabama and Tennessee fans were awesome when they came to Norman and seemed to really enjoy it. It’s the agroids and the Misery tiggers who I’m sure will have the most to say.
                          Well that's a pivot from what we were talking about. I thought we were talking about locations, not the fans? Norman still sucks compared to other locations. As do the Mississippi and Alabama locations. As does Lubbock and Columbia and College Station and Stillwater and Manhattan KS......Some of those fans are alright though. And it definitely is different if you are Tenn fan going to Norman vs an fOSU going to Norman (and other examples)

Comment

Most of all…ESPN will be riding our nuts after all these years. Suddenly it will be front page news when a player is injured and the media will be all over OU staff for REAL updates.
                            No more 11 am games every week
                            Finally will get credit for a good defense and offense not constantly lumped in with other weak ass big 12 teams like Tech.
                            The positives are many.

Comment

Some are so blinded by the orange koolaid they are arguing that they’re going to make out better in this deal. Most are flipping shit because they realize their glass ceiling will be lowered quite a bit without OU and Texas money to support their wasteful habits. No more Sugar Daddy Boone and losing big brother(s) welfare check doesn’t look good for the agroids.

There will be surely an adjustment if they fell to G5. It wouldn’t kill them having a shot at a good basketball or baseball team and it doesn’t appear anybody cares to challenge them in wrasslin. Not the end of the world for them to go play with the Boise States and SMUs of the world. I just wonder without that extra coin if they’d do much better in the win column. Gundy won’t stay forever and some of their better players were fringe G5/P5 players coming out of high school. Do they continue to find the guys like Justin Blackmon if they’re playing a lower level of sport? Do those guys start taking more chances with the P5’s oversigning practices?

It surely would be amusing to see how it plays out. Like, hypothetically speaking— OU and Texas ship out to the SEC. watch the agroid evolution from there. Five more years in the BIG12 and five years separated. What happens from there?

Comment

Boren coming out sounds about right.

Comment

One perk is OU needs to fire the compliance department. No need since the SEC does not focus on cheating.

Comment

I would be ok with giving OSU the 2-1 deal that we give Tulsa, Tulane, Utep etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Petro-Sooner View Post

A trip to the swamp or the grove could be fun.
                                      Imagine a road trip to a night game in Athens between the hedges! But yes, tailgating in The Grove would be outstanding!

Comment

I really hope we get into the SEC because this fan base is starting to sound like a thirsty teenage girl. Almost as bad as West Virginia when they wanted in the Big XII.

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                                          We won’t end up in a playoff we have no chance of winning. We can go to a winnable bowl game and be happy going 10-3.

And still win an NC every year with a 10-3 record!

Comment

Originally posted by RIP CLAYBOURNE View Post
                                            I really hope we get into the SEC because this fan base is starting to sound like a thirsty teenage girl. Almost as bad as West Virginia when they wanted in the Big XII.

Well, she looked like she was 18.

Comment

Originally posted by WTinOK View Post
                                              One perk is OU needs to fire the compliance department. No need since the SEC does not focus on cheating.
                                              Funnily enough - I just talked to an OU staff compliance peep about 10 mins ago - they just hired a whole dept for NIL issues.

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post

So being an outsider in a conference run by ‘Bama and others won’t lead to getting hosed?
                                                I don't think so because in the Bix XII half the fucking refs lived in Texas. Christol, Bible, Castleberry, dude with the massive biceps. All Texans. And that's just off the top of my head.

SEC will have refs from 12 different states. If some ref from Kentucky blows a call against Bama he doesn't have to fear for his life from his neighbors...Unless Harvey Updike has moved to Kentucky.

Granted, you are going to have some refs from Alabama or Texas but it's not going to be every frickin' game like in the Big XII.

Comment

Maybe now Riley can make a decent salary.

Seriously, we have a superb coaching staff. And while I'd wish they would stay a long time, that's just not reality. This move should enhance our ability to continue to hire top-notch assistants. Maybe it will have an effect on keeping them on longer too.

Comment

Norman and Fayetteville are my two very favorite places to tailgate. I can’t wait to see the Sooners roll into Fayetteville and the Razorbacks roll into Norman!!!!! It will be electric. I’m calling it the Switzer Cup!

Comment

Originally posted by Red n Deadly View Post
                                                      Norman and Fayetteville are my two very favorite places to tailgate. I can’t wait to see the Sooners roll into Fayetteville and the Razorbacks roll into Norman!!!!! It will be electric. I’m calling it the Switzer Cup!
                                                      As a sooner fan in Little Rock, I agree with this.

Comment

Another dozen teams realizing they hate Texas mixed with the fact that Texas finally wont be able to push around an entire conference to bend to their will.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thWave View Post
                                                          Maybe now Riley can make a decent salary.

Seriously, we have a superb coaching staff. And while I'd wish they would stay a long time, that's just not reality. This move should enhance our ability to continue to hire top-notch assistants. Maybe it will have an effect on keeping them on longer too.
                                                          It hasn't been reality, but .... We are a program that could hold on to a top HC as long as just about any other program - and now we will (looks like) be a member of the top conference as well. Assistants will still want that Head Coach job somewhere, unless it's Cale Gundy; but to be a decently paid assistant at a top program in the top conference might get someone to stay an extra year or two, waiting on the optimal opportunity.

Comment

ESPN backing: Oklahoma is now powered with a conglomerate that can place OU content on Disney/ ABC/ ESPN/ Hulu/ ESPN2/ ESPNU/ ESPN+ & SECN...

Comment

Very very excited for the Arkansas Texas rivalry to be renewed. Texas still felt like our biggest rival while I was there even after being in the SEC a long while. When Arky beat them in the bowl in 2014, there were decorations showing the score up around Fayetteville for the next 4 years.

Comment

don't know if anyone brought this up but at least OU will get to play in some good bowl games in Florida and not have to have the majority of our bowls in texas.

Comment

- increase in self-loathing.

- greater support from neanderthals.

- scientologists don't feel so weird when cult aggie is in town.

- no need to sit through another baseball game.

- can now yell, "sec! sec!"

Comment

Another perk of moving to SEC: minor league teams can't taunt what is supposed to be a power conference...

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post
                                                                      - increase in self-loathing.

- greater support from neanderthals.

- scientologists don't feel so weird when cult aggie is in town.

- no need to sit through another baseball game.

- can now yell, "sec! sec!"
                                                                      You forgot pom poms

Comment

The perks have already started.

Several OU football commitment's just got faster today and received their 5th star.

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                                                          Serious querstion: If OU joins the SEC, does DirtBurglaars morph into a message board with a firewall screening posts from Socali and Soonergrad?
                                                                          Add WT to that list and I'm on board.

Comment

The perks have already started.

Several OU football commitment's just got faster today and received their 5th star.
                                                                            OK, that's funny.

Comment

#88
                                                                              Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

Ironically: Oklahoma gets the spot Texas A&M wanted: the sole flagship school of it's state..!
                                                                              ^So much this.

Comment

#89
                                                                                Originally posted by Trip View Post

Add WT to that list and I'm on board.
                                                                                Goes without saying, but thanks for saying. Yes.

Comment

#90
                                                                                  Originally posted by Arkansooner View Post
                                                                                  Very very excited for the Arkansas Texas rivalry to be renewed. Texas still felt like our biggest rival while I was there even after being in the SEC a long while. When Arky beat them in the bowl in 2014, there were decorations showing the score up around Fayetteville for the next 4 years.
                                                                                  I'm sure you already know this, but Arkansas hosts Texas on September 11th this year.
                                                                                  Live Free or Die!

Comment

#91
                                                                                    It may be a few years but there will eventually be enough money to get out of Lloyd Noble for basketball.

Comment

#92
                                                                                      Talyn Shettron five seconds before he breaks the bad news to little brother he's re-committing back to OU:

Comment

#93
                                                                                        Originally posted by soonergrad View Post
                                                                                        Other than the obvious benefits of money, status and NIL, here are some things I am looking forward to with OU being in the SEC:
                                                                                        Don't forget this one: Road trips to Jortsville.

Comment

#94
                                                                                          Oh, and there's this one, too: More frequent opportunities to make Bama children cry.

Comment

#95
                                                                                            Another Perk - LESS 11 AM OU-Texas games. The SEC Game of the Week is always at 2:30. While OU-Texas will not be the Game of the Week EVERY year, it will be many years, which means those years the game will be at 230.

Comment

#96
                                                                                              Any thoughts about the increased amount of TV time for the cheerleaders? SEC >>> BigXII quantity of quality

Comment

#97
                                                                                                Oklahoma:
                                                                                                1. Retains the RRS to “rival” other SEC rivalry games.
                                                                                                2. More TV money.
                                                                                                3. Better fanbase engagement due to better competition.
                                                                                                4. Eliminates “because SEC” excuse for recruits to decline scholly offers. This is the big one, IMO.
                                                                                                5. No more hour-long pregame shows in the postseason taking cheap shots at OU for “not being SEC.”
                                                                                                6. Can have a better barometer for where they’re at with the “big boys” than just looking at bowl games where they had some bad luck.
                                                                                                7. Likelihood of less rooster kicks if OU can continue to hold down its top 5 status whilst competing against more ranked opponents.
                                                                                                8. Won’t hear about who is “practically playing their scout team” or “didn’t want to be there” when OU wins.
                                                                                                9. Has the youngest of all hotshot head coaches in the game against a few guys in their 60s and 70s.
                                                                                                10. We get to see Lincoln Riley versus Josh Heupel.

I’ll keep counting up the pros. So far, not many cons other than a few lawsuits and more of the same local media types talking shit at every opportunity.

Comment

#98
                                                                                                  Beating Alabama’s ass on a regular basis will be a great perk especially for recruiting

Comment

#99
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Lonetreebill View Post
                                                                                                    Better looking Coeds. And alumni women are hot looking trailer trash. Like that hot trailer trash blonde that went to the White House with the LSU team. She could suck start my Harley.
                                                                                                    On a road trip through Oxford Miss we stopped to look at the campus. Major heat all over campus. I know nothing of their football traditions, but I'm willing to listen based soley on my co-ed recon.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMFSooner View Post

On a road trip through Oxford Miss we stopped to look at the campus. Major heat all over campus. I know nothing of their football traditions, but I'm willing to listen based soley on my co-ed recon.
                                                                                                      Old man looking at coeds. Ok, we get ya

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1