First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USFL 2.0 is apparently gonna be a bubble league

All the games will be played in Birmingham.
    https://www.wvtm13.com/article/birmi...-city/37928711
    They still haven't announced draft, team names, coaches any rules or anything like that. I haven't seen any merch sales or anything. This entire thing feels half assed and will be a failure.

Draft info for the USFL2

Basically the teams will draft rounds by positions. Draft is on facebook stream for fox usfl. They announced the draft the weekend before it happens lol.

Comment

Don't know a single thing about it but I feel confident in predicting failure. None of these things will work.

Comment

Next bargain brand league idea up for a head first dive into an empty pool?

Comment

I kinda wish one of these would take hold, get 'some traction'. I'd enjoy some competitive ball in the off-season...

Comment

I hope for the best but not sure how you are supposed to get that hometown passion when you can’t attend home games.

Comment

The American appetite for football is just not as unsatiable as these people want to believe.

What's the angle? CFB is already the NFL's minor league, the players already come polished enough that they don't need a developmental league and the NFL doesn't miss on enough guys to need a second chance league.

All you're left with is a chance to say, "Oh, I remember that guy" a couple times a game and that's not enough to continue my interest through one season, let alone multiple, in an expensive sport to start up

Comment

Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post
                All the games will be played in Birmingham.
                https://www.wvtm13.com/article/birmi...-city/37928711
                They still haven't announced draft, team names, coaches any rules or anything like that. I haven't seen any merch sales or anything. This entire thing feels half assed and will be a failure.
                Due to Covid or is this just a horrible idea on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
                  The American appetite for football is just not as unsatiable as these people want to believe.

What's the angle? CFB is already the NFL's minor league, the players already come polished enough that they don't need a developmental league and the NFL doesn't miss on enough guys to need a second chance league.

All you're left with is a chance to say, "Oh, I remember that guy" a couple times a game and that's not enough to continue my interest through one season, let alone multiple, in an expensive sport to start up
                  The XFL had an angle potentially with some of the rule changes and the potential of getting high school players which they never got to obviously. Not sure if they'll retain any of that in the new version coming up next year. But this one seems like a disaster from the get go. They just yesterday announced a draft and aren't saying who the pool of players are. The XFL was getting enough TV to where they were probably gonna be around for a while if we didn't get all the panic with covid at that time. But there was also a lot of planning with that league. They announced the coaches like almost a year before the league kicked off. They were selling tickets, merch and stuff way before it kicked off. They announced rule changes like the kickoff rules, PAT rules. The double pass rule, OT rules several months before the season kicked off. This one it's pretty much only led by networks it seems to me and seems poorly planned. I'm not sure it'll work out at all. Games are supposed to begin in like April. Rosters won't even be filled up till like mid March.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

This seems like a covid idea but we just had a Super Bowl in LA where most of the crowd didn't even wear masks in a place where it's mandated. At this point covid is over and it's been that way for probably half of the cities in this league for at least half a year. Playing all these games in one city makes no sense at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

I’d say this is simply a cost issue. TV production just has to go to one place. The stadiums can be fully utilized with multiple games per day at a lower cost than home stadiums. Plus, I’m guessing Birmingham is kicking in some money.

Attendance is going to be crap anyway, and with so few teams the ratings boost of a “home” market doesn’t impact the national ratings all that much. Like bowl games, this league is 100% TV driven.

Comment

Draft info for the USFL2

Basically the teams will draft rounds by positions. Draft is on facebook stream for fox usfl. They announced the draft the weekend before it happens lol.
                        Necro bump post reported.

Comment

How many more failures does there have to be before it’s finally realized people don’t want inferior football?

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                            How many more failures does there have to be before it’s finally realized people don’t want inferior football?
                            College football is inferrior football and this has actually succeeded at times with USFL in the 80s or XFL 2.0 recently but the TV deal way like this is won't succeed. I think Ftw is right this is way too driven by TV and less by actual football or anything like that. It'll fail like the AAFL or whatever that league was like 4 years ago will. I don't see this getting any real fan support at all.

Comment

i don't agree with the idea of not playing in home cities. but then again i don't really care for where they placed the teams either. teams should have gone to cities without an NFL team to start with and then to NFL cities with one team or less. San Antonio, San Diego, Birmingham, Saint Louis, maybe Charleston (SC), Richmond, Memphis, Little Rock, Louisville All cities with stadiums to some degree that would be capable of hosting a team minus maybe Richmond and Charleston. They should also have found a way to have a merger of some sort with the CFL so as to maybe not play each other, but advertise for each other, swap talent. and maybe eventually a full merger where the Canadian teams adopt American rules. They should allow high school grads to sign with them instead of going to college so that this whole paying college players thing would go away since they would have a place to play and make money. if the league was to survive 2 yrs then I think there would be hope for it to at least be an alternative to the NFL even though it will never see those types of revenue. I will probably still watch since it is a least some form of football. still have the XFL coming back (again) next year so maybe one of the two can pull a rabbit out.

Comment

The original USFL actually gained some traction, until Trump ("good business man!") took over and promptly tanked the league trying to get it to compete with the NFL rather than compliment it.

The only reason it had a chance was because that league actually had some money and was able to use it to attract big time prospects out of college.

This USFL, (and every other attempt since the 80s), doesn't have that, and can offer little more than a bunch of games played by athletes aren't even good enough to fill out the last few roster spots on the Jets and Jaguars. The football is unwatchable, and the leagues promptly fold pretty quickly.

Unless there are some backroom tax write off deals these "entrepreneurs" (aka, trust fund kids born into generational wealth) are getting, I can't for the life of me understand why someone would think a knockoff NFL would ever pretty a profitable venture.

Comment

College football is inferrior football and this has actually succeeded at times with USFL in the 80s or XFL 2.0 recently but the TV deal way like this is won't succeed. I think Ftw is right this is way too driven by TV and less by actual football or anything like that. It'll fail like the AAFL or whatever that league was like 4 years ago will. I don't see this getting any real fan support at all.
                                  Apples and oranges, college football has the advantage of cult like loyalty to universities (to the point where a school like penn state will make excuses for coaches who protect pedophiles), and the 80s USFL had a bunch of money to woo top draft prospects.

Without either of those elements, I can't possibly understand how anyone thinks this could work.

Comment

Please. Enough with comparing it to college. They are different. College is widely popular. These other pro leagues suck. No one is going to watch garbage. People aren’t that starved.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

Necro bump post reported.
                                      bump.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

bump.
                                        Post reported

Comment

Post reported
                                          bump.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

bump.
                                            Bump reported

Comment

Bump reported
                                              bump.

Comment

Bring back the Oklahoma Outlaws, Barcelona Dragons, and women's nude wrestling.

Comment

There's probably a market for late winter or spring league. I caught a couple XFL games before the lockdown, just idling my non kid weekend away in a bar. Plenty of people would put that on as background, and I'm sure a regional fan base could develop in mid sized cities where football is popular. It's not a horrible idea

Until you do it like the USFL.

Comment

The XFL and NFL may be partnering together.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...nkId=153178888

Comment

Here are the USFL rule changes. Some of the highlights
                                                      • In addition to the normal PAT and 2-point conversion, a 3-point conversion from the 10 yard line is an option
                                                      • Kickoffs from the 25 yard line
                                                      • In addition to the traditional onside kick, the kicking team can choose to run 1 play from the 33, as a 4th and 12 play. If they get the first down, they keep the ball, otherwise it turns over on downs to the receiving team at the dead ball spot.
                                                      • Overtime will be "shoot out style", with a set of 3 alternating two point conversions. If tied after those 3 attempts, then its a single alternating try.
                                                      • Defensive PI will be 15 yards unless its blatant, then it a spot foul

On Wednesday, the USFL officially unveiled a few changes to the traditional football rules, designed to bolster offense and big-play potential, improve game flow, give trailing teams more scoring opportunities as time winds down, enhance player safety, and get officiating calls right in a way that’s fair for both teams.

"Fans are the USFL’s top priority, so our rules are designed to give fans the traditional physical play they know and love while adding some modern fast-paced elements," said Mike Pereira, USFL Head of Officiating. "The overwhelming majority of rules that govern gameplay in the USFL are standard at the professional or collegiate level. But we are incorporating a few unconventional ideas that we're convinced will add offense, alter some coaching decisions and strategy for the better, and make it easier to get major penalty calls correct. Collectively, these changes will be good for the game of football and keep fans more engaged and entertained."

The biggest rule changes pertain to extra-point conversions after touchdowns, onside kicks, overtime and passing plays, but they're not the only modifications. Here's what you need to know about the USFL's rules.

Extra points

When teams score a touchdown in the USFL, they'll have the option to attempt a one-, two- or even three-point conversion. Teams will receive:

- One point for a kick made with the ball snapped from the 15-yard line
                                                      - Two points for a scrimmage play from the two-yard line that successfully crosses the goal line
                                                      - Three points for a scrimmage play from the 10-yard line that successfully crosses the goal line

As a result, a team trailing by nine points can still tie the game with a touchdown (and a three-point conversion), while an 18-point lead is still a two-possession game.

Onside kicks

Teams will have two options to retain possession after scoring. The first option will be a traditional onside kick attempt from the 25-yard line.

The second will be running a 4th-and-12 play from their own 33-yard line. If the team makes a first down, fantastic — it retains possession from that spot. If the team attempting the "onside" fails, however, the defense gets the ball wherever the offense is downed.

Overtime

Overtime will be a shootout in which each team's offense will alternate plays against the opposing defense from the two-yard line. Each team will run a total of three plays, and each successful scoring attempt will receive two points. The team with the most points after each team has run its three plays wins.

If the score is tied after each team runs three plays, the subsequent attempts become sudden death until a winner is declared.

Two forward passes

Offenses will be allowed to throw two forward passes behind the line of scrimmage, expanding teams' playbooks while adding even more excitement and trick-play potential to games.

Defensive pass interference: The penalty for defensive pass interference will mirror the NCAA rule, with exceptions. Defensive pass interference will be a spot foul if it occurs less than 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, but it is a 15-yard penalty if the spot of the foul is beyond 15 yards. The goal is to decrease the punitive nature of defensive pass interference penalties.

However, a defender intentionally tackling a receiver beyond 15 yards past the line of scrimmage would be a spot foul.

Offensive pass interference: If a pass does not cross the line of scrimmage, there can be no penalty for either offensive pass interference or ineligible player downfield. This rule change opens up the offense without undermining defense and forgoes punishment for infractions unrelated to the play

Kickoffs: All kickoffs will be from the 25-yard line. No kicking team member may line up any further back than one yard, while the receiving team must have a minimum of eight players in the set-up zone between their 35- and 45-yard lines. After a kickoff travels 20 yards, the first touch must be by the receiving team. If an untouched kick becomes dead, the ball belongs to the receiving team at that spot.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/us...-and-much-more

Comment

I think I would always go for 3 if I have a good QB. Even if you are 30% on PATs at worst the one makes up for the others.

Comment

Don’t understand why the folks in charge of this can’t understand that by the time NCAAF and NFL is done, folks want a break from football and think this USFL will fly. Won’t happen but hammer down.

Comment

Perhaps I'm not "folks," but I never want a break from football.

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                                              Perhaps

Comment

USFL to be a bubble league
                                                                I know a boy who will absolutely love this...

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post
                                                                  Don’t understand why the folks in charge of this can’t understand that by the time NCAAF and NFL is done, folks want a break from football and think this USFL will fly. Won’t happen but hammer down.
                                                                  You either play in their off season or go head to head. Pick your poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                                                    I can’t watch inferior football. I don’t watch that much outside of my teams. I get by alright.

Comment

Kickoff starts tonight, yay.

Comment

This seems like a covid idea but we just had a Super Bowl in LA where most of the crowd didn't even wear masks in a place where it's mandated. At this point covid is over and it's been that way for probably half of the cities in this league for at least half a year. Playing all these games in one city makes no sense at this point.
                                                                        If they are going to stick with that 1 city only venue then I'd think Kansas City would be the more logical site being it's halfway between all directions. but it sucks with them playing all the games in 1 spot.

Comment

USFL RULES: THROW TWO FORWARD PASSES BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE

USFL RULES: THREE OPTIONS AFTER SCORING A TOUCHDOWN

meaning 9-point TD's are a possibility.

Comment

The bubble reduces the costs quite a bit, with likely some kickbacks from the host city. That is what is important for these leagues. Attendance is going to be crap wherever the games are played

Comment

#39
                                                                              USFL Introduces Technology to Automate First-Down Decisions

The United States Football League is about to begin its 2022 season, and the league is going to experiment with some new ideas. During a preseason game, the league debuted how it will decide first downs using new technology.

The USFL will have chips implanted in their footballs that can determine if the ball has reached the first-down marker.

The technology is cool, but it isn’t as new as it seems. According to Pro Football Talk, the NFL already has chips in its footballs that are used for Next Gen Stats and tracking data. However, the league doesn’t think the chip would be accurate enough to determine first downs in a game.

Still, this could lead to perfecting the technology that eventually automates first downs instead of having referees make the decision manually.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/10/us...logy-automated

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Shitbird View Post
                                                                                USFL RULES: THROW TWO FORWARD PASSES BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE

USFL RULES: THREE OPTIONS AFTER SCORING A TOUCHDOWN

meaning 9-point TD's are a possibility.
                                                                                This is the XFL rule. If I have a good offense that can make it from 10 yards better than half the time I go for 3 just about every time.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Looks like it's about 2/3rds full in lower deck. That's with areas tarped out

Comment

#42
                                                                                    First TD in USFL 2.0 and the receiver is hurt.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      That was a great catch.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        USFL Introduces Technology to Automate First-Down Decisions

The United States Football League is about to begin its 2022 season, and the league is going to experiment with some new ideas. During a preseason game, the league debuted how it will decide first downs using new technology.

The USFL will have chips implanted in their footballs that can determine if the ball has reached the first-down marker.

The technology is cool, but it isn’t as new as it seems. According to Pro Football Talk, the NFL already has chips in its footballs that are used for Next Gen Stats and tracking data. However, the league doesn’t think the chip would be accurate enough to determine first downs in a game.

Still, this could lead to perfecting the technology that eventually automates first downs instead of having referees make the decision manually.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/10/us...logy-automated
                                                                                        We can launch missles from hundreds/thousands of miles away and put them into a chimney pipe but the chip technology isn't good enough to get a measurement within inches from 100ft away? Bull shit.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          The background noise of the coaches, field mics was HORRIBLE. Quickly became movie night for me.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            After the first 5 minutes it's sucked.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
                                                                                              The bubble reduces the costs quite a bit, with likely some kickbacks from the host city. That is what is important for these leagues. Attendance is going to be crap wherever the games are played
                                                                                              ​​​​​​
                                                                                              They only need 2 sets of cheerleaders for the entire league.Just switch uniforms depending on the team.

For players, one set of uniforms for each team since every game is a home game and away game. Or just two sets of uniforms shared by the entire league. Velcro on the team name and player name and swap those out each week.

Cleats could be shared across the league as well, sort of like at a bowling alley.

Heck, maybe they could even just have only 2 teams of players who just represent whatever team is scheduled to play at that moment. Today you are Dallas and next week you are Fargo. Same coaches, same everything, just put the different city's name on. All 17 fans could vote for which team they want to be each week. Sort of like picking which player you are in a video game.

The ideas for cost savings are endless.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by echo101 View Post

If they are going to stick with that 1 city only venue then I'd think Kansas City would be the more logical site being it's halfway between all directions. but it sucks with them playing all the games in 1 spot.
                                                                                                I think they said they were using 75 different cameras in this game. You see the drone cameras all over the field. You have mics on all the players. Now they are taking a break from commentators.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I guess they are experimenting with the announcer less approach. The NFL tried this once in 1980 for an entire game.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Birmingham is about to win late.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1