First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not as bad as it could be after a loss

I guess most of knew it was coming sooner or later this year. Could this be one of LR better coaching job he done ? When you step back and take a look at the talent, not talking about number of stars coming out of HS but the real talent on the field. This OU is not loaded with truly high level talent..true they have some but not loaded with it for sure...If the talent is there then some coaches should be out looking for another job...imo

The biggest issue isn't talent. Baylor has some really talented defenders, but we're probably still more talented overall. The issue is physicality and toughness. We are super soft as a program and that is LGL's fault.

Comment

My take..doesn't mean jack...
      I'm frustrated sometimes with the type of plays we run vs other teams. Not sure if that's talent/creativeness..or what. Everyone says riley is this offensive guru but I don't see passes in the flat/slants/use of the TE etc as much as other teams. Taking what the def is giving ya.

How many times did CW or SR for that matter have HUGE amounts of time in the pocket to end up in a shit play?
      Def - we nailed the RB or QB for a no gain or loss then the next play they break off a 15 yrder...Again, talent (which I include size/strength etc) or scheme/play calling? I dunno

Frustrating sometimes because I see the other team seems bigger stronger faster more creative on the offensive in. The one example was the designed qb run in the second half by bu...the lane was HUGE..and the kid ran for 40 yards...why can't CW do that? Then the TD to go get the score 24.

Just my rant..

Comment

Originally posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
        I'm frustrated sometimes with the type of plays we run vs other teams. Not sure if that's talent/creativeness..or what. Everyone says riley is this offensive guru but I don't see passes in the flat/slants/use of the TE etc as much as other teams. Taking what the def is giving ya.

How many times did CW or SR for that matter have HUGE amounts of time in the pocket to end up in a shit play?
        Def - we nailed the RB or QB for a no gain or loss then the next play they break off a 15 yrder...Again, talent (which I include size/strength etc) or scheme/play calling? I dunno

Frustrating sometimes because I see the other team seems bigger stronger faster more creative on the offensive in. The one example was the designed qb run in the second half by bu...the lane was HUGE..and the kid ran for 40 yards...why can't CW do that? Then the TD to go get the score 24.

Just my rant..
        It's called the OL and execution. Both were horrific Saturday, among others.

Comment

If Riley doesn't replace BB and Grinch at the end of the season it's only time before Riley is looking for new landing spot.
          When you can only have 7 yards rushing against KU in the first half then turn around and play Baylor and leave ( Pietre) the best player on the field unaccounted for 85% of time unblocked that's a coaching issue, especially after a bye week

Comment

Originally posted by Stella Link View Post

lol..true...#52 or 54? Seems to whiff on a lot of blocks when he pulls...so again..talent (speed/size/strength) or coaching?

Comment

lol..true...#52 or 54? Seems to whiff on a lot of blocks when he pulls...so again..talent (speed/size/strength) or coaching?
              #52 and or #54 are good for about 3-5 flags a game

Comment

This team could be 10-0, but what should be on everyone’s mind is that it could be just as easily 3-7 had the kicker not shown up earlier this year.

Let that sink in.

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

#52 and or #54 are good for about 3-5 flags a game
                  And looking around for people to block when our guys are being tackled at or behind the LOS

Comment

Originally posted by smusooner View Post

And looking around for people to block when our guys are being tackled at or behind the LOS
                    Yeah I seen that too, but wasn't sure if they were looking for someone to block or trying to avoid someone to block

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post
                      The biggest issue isn't talent. Baylor has some really talented defenders, but we're probably still more talented overall. The issue is physicality and toughness. We are super soft as a program and that is LGL's fault.
                      Exactly where on the field are we more 'talented' than Baylor? It would seem to me that you could throw OU, ISU, Baylor and OSU in the same pot as far as "talent" goes. And sadly the rest of the Big XII isn't far behind. The concerning part is that OSU is the one team that is clicking out of that lead group.

After being in a dogfight for 9 out of 10 games this season I think evidence is mounting that we just don't have the horses to be dominant right now.

And to LTs post. I think if we were really "soft" in the truest sense of the word we would have found a way to lose a lot more of these other games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Exactly where on the field are we more 'talented' than Baylor? It would seem to me that you could throw OU, ISU, Baylor and OSU in the same pot as far as "talent" goes. And sadly the rest of the Big XII isn't far behind. The concerning part is that OSU is the one team that is clicking out of that lead group.

After being in a dogfight for 9 out of 10 games this season I think evidence is mounting that we just don't have the horses to be dominant right now.

And to LTs post. I think if we were really "soft" in the truest sense of the word we would have found a way to lose a lot more of these other games.
                        The following off our two deep could be drafted this spring:

Mike Woods
                        Kennedy Brooks
                        Marquis Hayes
                        Jeremiah Hall
                        maybe Tyrese Robinson
                        IT
                        Bonitto
                        Winfrey
                        DTY

We have plenty of talent. We’re just soft and that comes from the top.

Comment

Who recruited those guys?

It is always on the coaches making the millions, that is why they are making the millions. If there is failure anywhere it is on them.

I've grown tired of the talent argument, funny that no other team in the B12 seems to be making that argument.

Comment

Mike Woods
                            Kennedy Brooks
                            Marquis Hayes
                            Jeremiah Hall
                            maybe Tyrese Robinson
                            IT
                            Bonitto
                            Winfrey
                            DTY

Truer words.

Comment

The flip side of that coin, is if we weren't really soft in the truest sense of the word we would have stomped a mudhole in these weak teams as we should have.

Winning close games against inferior competition isn't a barometer of a team's fortitude.

Comment

I’m sure some of it is the players but I believe different coaching and schemes could get more out of these players than what we’re seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by eightisgreat View Post

It is always on the coaches making the millions, that is why they are making the millions. If there is failure anywhere it is on them.

I've grown tired of the talent argument, funny that no other team in the B12 seems to be making that argument.
                                  Agreed. It’s on the coaches period.

Comment

I guess you haven't been reading Surly Horns, then...

Comment

Truer words.
                                      Add haselwood, and wease(if he played) to that list

these idiots think A&M and LSU recruit better. OU has tons of talent right now just poor coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by flatsix View Post

I guess you haven't been reading Surly Horns, then...
                                        Texas being a dumpster fire does not make what OU put on the field yesterday or in previous games this year any better.

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

Yeah I seen that too, but wasn't sure if they were looking for someone to block or trying to avoid someone to block
                                          What is sad is someone on youtube early in the season posted a video of 2 of our oline guys blocking each other similar to that Florida gif that was going around few years ago. Think it was either the Nebraska or Tulane game because it was a home game. You have to be pretty confused to make that happen

Comment

Originally posted by LT-OU View Post
                                            This team could be 10-0, but what should be on everyone’s mind is that it could be just as easily 3-7 had the kicker not shown up earlier this year.

Let that sink in.
                                            Is 3 - 7 what it is going to take to get this team and coaches to make some changes? I feel like we are a lot closer to 3 - 7 this year than winning a NC.

Comment

That wasn't necessarily their o-line dominating our dl. Our front 7 kept flowing towards the running back, and we were outnumbered. It was frustrating Grinch didn't adjust to that play.

Comment

Originally posted by M40 View Post

Texas being a dumpster fire does not make what OU put on the field yesterday or in previous games this year any better.
                                                That's not even close to relevant to what I posted. The original poster wrote, "I've grown tired of the talent argument, funny that no other team in the B12 seems to be making that argument."

The Surly Horns have been bitching about their talent deficit ever since we beat them this year.

BTW. I've been unhappy with OU's poor play since the beginning of the season. It was only a matter of time until we were going to lose to a BigXii team. We may still drop one or two more.

And I'm definitely not happy about our state of play.

Comment

OU always sends the most players to NFL in the Big 12, and it's not even close. I'm tired of the talent argument.

Comment

The problem LR potentially is going to have, is that if teams do catch up with his offenses, then what is he going to bring to the table as a HC. One of the main arguments for having LR was the idea that he is an offensive guru and he can recruit QBs. He certainly has not shown that he can put together great defense, as a HC.

So, if he starts slipping in the offensive area and/or is unable to keep getting a top QB, then his value begins to collapse. I have already seen an adjustment in how Big 12 teams are playing LR's offense. And if we don't have a dominant O line for the run game, then we can be shut down.

Think about it, we have been close to getting shut out for entire halves of games several times this season. Let that sink in. The guru has been unable to figure out a way to get us double digit points in more than one game in a half.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

OU always sends the most players to NFL in the Big 12, and it's not even close. I'm tired of the talent argument.
                                                      Yeah, it is not talent. It is development and lack of toughness. You can watch games and see which team is bringing the wood and making big hits. It almost always is not OU. Watch us against K State. They play with excitement and energy and hit us hard.

Our defenders, hold up a runner and allow the offense to push him for another 5 yards. I have to question our S&C program at this point.

Comment

Mike Woods
                                                        Kennedy Brooks
                                                        Marquis Hayes
                                                        Jeremiah Hall
                                                        maybe Tyrese Robinson
                                                        IT
                                                        Bonitto
                                                        Winfrey
                                                        DTY

You left Asamoah off your list. He's the type of guy who will go the NFL and become an instant starter.

Comment

I was always hesitant to apply the "soft" label to Riley for various reasons--mainly because I don't know the guy and sometimes people are very different in private than they are in public. But his whining about the field goal sealed it for me: quit displacing your inability to fire up a team with everything to play for coming off a bye week against an opponent that it's supposed to detest (for, among other things, cheap shots and rape) after having been brutally disrespected by the playoff committee as some moral failure of the opposing coach.

The "talent" argument doesn't fly. Is anyone trying to say that Bohanon is more talented than Caleb (or Rattler, for that matter)? OU has a huge advantage at the most important position and the coach single-handedly neutralized that advantage with ridiculous play-calling.

Hell, the team should have been out for blood after seeing some punk-ass Baylor player jump on their QB's hand with both feet.

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post
                                                            I was always hesitant to apply the "soft" label to Riley for various reasons--mainly because I don't know the guy and sometimes people are very different in private than they are in public. But his whining about the field goal sealed it for me: quit displacing your inability to fire up a team with everything to play for coming off a bye week against an opponent that it's supposed to detest (for, among other things, cheap shots and rape) after having been brutally disrespected by the playoff committee as some moral failure of the opposing coach.

The "talent" argument doesn't fly. Is anyone trying to say that Bohanon is more talented than Caleb (or Rattler, for that matter)? OU has a huge advantage at the most important position and the coach single-handedly neutralized that advantage with ridiculous play-calling.

Hell, the team should have been out for blood after seeing some punk-ass Baylor player jump on their QB's hand with both feet.

The fact that we didn’t clear the benches after that blatant cheap shot on Caleb tells me how soft this team and coach is.

Comment

Stop...stop....stop with the talent argument. No team other than texas is close to us in terms of talent.

Look at the NFL rosters:

OU -31
                                                              UT - 26
                                                              OSU - 15
                                                              TCU - 14
                                                              BU - 13
                                                              TTU - 12
                                                              WVU - 11
                                                              KSU - 9
                                                              KU - 4
                                                              ISU - 3

Now take a look at the 247 talent composite rankings:

OU - 6
                                                              UT - 11
                                                              TCU - 29
                                                              BU - 41
                                                              OSU - 47
                                                              ISU - 57
                                                              WVU - 58
                                                              TTU - 62
                                                              KSU - 69
                                                              KU - 73

FULR just got his shit pushed in by the 41st ranked roster.....and he had a bye week to prepare.

This shit gets old. He is an underachieving coach that gets to be on cruise control cause he can talent his way to a 12-2 record.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Shoes View Post
                                                                [/B]

The fact that we didn’t clear the benches after that blatant cheap shot on Caleb tells me how soft this team and coach is.
                                                                It wasn't but a week ago that OU had tremendous momentum. We just had a complete (by OU standards) win, we were hot on the recruiting trail, and, despite some handwringing from a few uninformed fans, controlled our destiny to get the two seed in the playoff. Now we got pushed around by fucking BAYLOR, we're out of it for the top recruits on our board, and the uninformed fans are strutting around in delight about how right they were all along. This is honestly the most dispirited I've felt as a fan in a really long time. Lincoln's ceiling is now crystal clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner5030 View Post
                                                                  Stop...stop....stop with the talent argument. No team other than texas is close to us in terms of talent.

Look at the NFL rosters:

OU -31
                                                                  UT - 26
                                                                  OSU - 15
                                                                  TCU - 14
                                                                  BU - 13
                                                                  TTU - 12
                                                                  WVU - 11
                                                                  KSU - 9
                                                                  KU - 4
                                                                  ISU - 3

Now take a look at the 247 talent composite rankings:

OU - 6
                                                                  UT - 11-
                                                                  OSU - 47
                                                                  ISU - 57
                                                                  WVU - 58
                                                                  TTU - 62
                                                                  KSU - 69
                                                                  KU - 73

FULR just got his shit pushed in by the 41st ranked roster.....and he had a bye week to prepare.

This shit gets old. He is an underachieving coach that gets to be on cruise control cause he can talent his way to a 12-2 record.
                                                                  Agree. I think there are numerous coaches, some in the Big 12, that could get 12-2 at OU nearly every season. It isn't like we have played a loaded schedule or had to beat historically great Texas Teams under Riley.

I had great hope for this season. I thought he would build off the momentum of the Bowl game and defense would progress. I thought the O would be as good. Something is not right with the program. It is the culture.

You can see the ceiling, sort of like with Harbaugh at Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post
                                                                    You can see the ceiling, sort of like with Harbaugh at Michigan.
                                                                    Exactly this. In years past, it was easy to be optimistic based on potential. But now we've seen enough to know in terms of recruiting and on-field performance. OU isn't getting into the elite tier (tOSU, Bama, and, yes, Clemson still) under Riley.

And I know we don't like to say it, because we hate everything about those weirdo cult bastards, but A&M is gonna be a serious problem for OU in the SEC the way they're recruiting.

Comment

the talent argument doesn’t work. OU is tied with LSU for the 3rd most talented roster in the SEC this year. After the top 5 2022 class it will be clearly above LSU.

Comment

I think the problem is on our coaches. I'm beginning to think Riley is way overrated as an offensive coach. His scheme as gotten stale and everyone has figured out how to shut it down. Where are the innovative plays that we ran with baker and kyler? Remember when he found ways to get players involved? Now he seems to do shit in spite of common sense. How many bubble screens did we throw to our slowest WR to start the year? Starting Eric gray at RB? Not having any fucking screens or crosses in the playbook? In reality, he has reverted to Mike Leach. Yesterday, multiple times we needed 5 or 6 yards to get a first and all of our WRs were running 15 yard and beyond routes.

Grinch is just as overrated. His speed D shit is a gimmick. Why can't we have a normal size dline and still get turnovers? One big ass dude at DT, like Baylor had would do wonders to stop us from getting pushed around. How about scheming to take away the fucking QB run? Why is it that a QB has a career day against us every game? Whether it be passing or running.

Comment

This is honestly the most dispirited I've felt as a fan in a really long time. Lincoln's ceiling is now crystal clear.
                                                                          Same here. Two weeks to prepare and having guys back from IR and we look like that, it was really unbelievable, even though we played that way pretty much all season. I don't understand giving players two-three days off during the off week when we are down to the final games of the season.

Comment

Just my rant..
                                                                            Kansas called a better offensive game than Lincoln Riley last night, with a back-up QB they were thinking about redshirting. I realize Texas is bad but the Kansas offensive line looked better than OU's.

Riley is a great offensive mind, without a doubt, but his ability to motivate and mentally prepare players is to me my biggest question about him as coach. The physicality is dialed up by the player's desire. Players that play more physical want it more. They push themselves to the limit of their athleticism.

We don't see maximum effort from these players but on rare occasions during a game. And it's usually a couple of guys, not the whole team.

For OU, both the Kansas game and the Baylor game were examples of a team that looked like OU had just rolled out of bed like 10 minutes before the game. The defense looked more prepared than they did at Kansas and started strong, but the offensive problems to me are inexplicable and mostly lie at the feet of the head coach.

I do not know enough about strength and conditioning to cogently analyze our system, but it seems we are rarely capable of "imposing our will" on teams. We struggle to tackle players even when we use good tackling form. This team just doesn't seem as powerful as many previous OU teams.

I agree that Lincoln should hire an offensive coordinator / QB coach. Whomever that person is would hopefully bring some new ideas but also be willing to allow Lincoln heavy input at times. I can't imagine why someone would be opposed to learning from Lincoln.

Maybe the problem is Riley's not a good teacher, or delegator. He's so smart that he sees everything in his mind but can't communicate it to others. I've wondered the same about Grinch at times.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Well, I said it a few weeks back that OU would lose "at least" one game, and that one would be BU, I just couldn't see the Sooners winning in Waco with the lack of intestinal fortitude they'd shown earlier. That being said, I'm hoping for a "rebound next week against ISU, as they seem to have gone the way of Texass(lmmfao), but as has been proven yesterday, anything is possible. On the other hand, the game against the pukes... to say the least is gonna be interesting. For OU to go undefeated the rest of the way is going to take a lot of soul searching from the HBC on down to the donut darlings.
                                                                              My prediction for next year and this team from what I can see now, taking into account everyone that will either be drafted, graduated, transferred, lost to natural causes, and if they don't pick up a RB along the lines of Stevenson....is no better than 8-4. OU's run game just has not been what it was 2-3 years ago when they were rushing for 200-250 a game. If OU becomes a one-dimensional offense this team won't be any better than ISU, IMO. That's it for me, I'm off to Surly to gather some much needed comedy.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by soonerguru View Post

Kansas called a better offensive game than Lincoln Riley last night, with a back-up QB they were thinking about redshirting. I realize Texas is bad but the Kansas offensive line looked better than OU's.

Riley is a great offensive mind, without a doubt, but his ability to motivate and mentally prepare players is to me my biggest question about him as coach. The physicality is dialed up by the player's desire. Players that play more physical want it more. They push themselves to the limit of their athleticism.

We don't see maximum effort from these players but on rare occasions during a game. And it's usually a couple of guys, not the whole team.

For OU, both the Kansas game and the Baylor game were examples of a team that looked like OU had just rolled out of bed like 10 minutes before the game. The defense looked more prepared than they did at Kansas and started strong, but the offensive problems to me are inexplicable and mostly lie at the feet of the head coach.

I do not know enough about strength and conditioning to cogently analyze our system, but it seems we are rarely capable of "imposing our will" on teams. We struggle to tackle players even when we use good tackling form. This team just doesn't seem as powerful as many previous OU teams.

I agree that Lincoln should hire an offensive coordinator / QB coach. Whomever that person is would hopefully bring some new ideas but also be willing to allow Lincoln heavy input at times. I can't imagine why someone would be opposed to learning from Lincoln.

Maybe the problem is Riley's not a good teacher, or delegator. He's so smart that he sees everything in his mind but can't communicate it to others. I've wondered the same about Grinch at times.
                                                                                Great points that I fully agree with. My biggest concern with LR is his inability to elevate a team emotionally. He doesn't seem to get them to rise up to a challenge.

I will say this again. 1) I have seen less talented teams, rise up and slay OU in an upset. They play with passion and zeal 2) I have wanted to see this rise up, from OU against a Goliath, in the CFP games. In other words, if these teams can do it to OU, why can't we do it to Bama or LSU or Clemson when we might be outmanned. 3) I have yet to see anything close to a passionate, upset minded response from an LR team in one of these games. Not even close.

That concerns me because if that is the case, then he won't be the coach for OU long term. Because we must have a guy who can motivate players to bring it week in and week out, but also embrace those occasions when you are outmanned and need to pull an upset.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Getting out of this piece of shit conference where every nobody team plays OU like their in the super bowl will help.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Boomer00 View Post
                                                                                    Getting out of this piece of shit conference where every nobody team plays OU like their in the super bowl will help.
                                                                                    Yeah, fuck Baylor. Watch them go lose another game or play like ass in their bowl game. Imagine how pissed we would be at Aranda if he were our coach and managed to lose to TCU the week they fired their fucking head coach.

But don't be confused, OU will be Arkansas's Super Bowl, A&M's Super Bowl, Mississippi State's Super Bowl. OU is one of about five helmet teams that every team wants to beat. It will be no different in the SEC.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by BoomerAnon View Post
                                                                                      If Riley doesn't replace BB and Grinch at the end of the season it's only time before Riley is looking for new landing spot.
                                                                                      When you can only have 7 yards rushing against KU in the first half then turn around and play Baylor and leave ( Pietre) the best player on the field unaccounted for 85% of time unblocked that's a coaching issue, especially after a bye week
                                                                                      Grinch, I don’t think, not yet. Offense was begging to get blown out from the first snap and his guys didn’t let it happen, same as in several of Rattler’s games. Eventually eligibility alone will force him to take #10 off the field…

Bedenbaugh, yeah, I’ve seen enough. Made a name on 1-2 classes of vastly underrated, underrecruited NFL guys and hasn’t done a thing since. I will say the pass protection was excellent for Caleb yesterday, and predictably fell apart as soon as we put in the QB who’s no threat to run and only maneuvers himself into trouble.

Comment

#44

Yup. Soft teams would have given up in 3 or more of our previous games.

Our fans are screaming that we're soft because we barely beat those teams.

We're not soft. We continue to execute poorly.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

Grinch, I don’t think, not yet. Offense was begging to get blown out from the first snap and his guys didn’t let it happen, same as in several of Rattler’s games. Eventually eligibility alone will force him to take #10 off the field…

Bedenbaugh, yeah,
                                                                                          Defense was WAY more than sufficient to win that game yesterday.

Comment

#46

It wasn't but a week ago that OU had tremendous momentum. We just had a complete (by OU standards) win, we were hot on the recruiting trail, and, despite some handwringing from a few uninformed fans, controlled our destiny to get the two seed in the playoff. Now we got pushed around by fucking BAYLOR, we're out of it for the top recruits on our board, and the uninformed fans are strutting around in delight about how right they were all along. This is honestly the most dispirited I've felt as a fan in a really long time. Lincoln's ceiling is now crystal clear.
                                                                                            I agree but the problem is that LR is like semi retired Bob. He wins enough games not to be under any pressure and from what I’ve heard Riley is like a son to Joe C. Best case scenario is probably Riley leaving for the NFL if they still want him.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by soonerguru View Post

Yeah, fuck Baylor. Watch them go lose another game or play like ass in their bowl game. Imagine how pissed we would be at Aranda if he were our coach and managed to lose to TCU the week they fired their fucking head coach.

But don't be confused, OU will be Arkansas's Super Bowl, A&M's Super Bowl, Mississippi State's Super Bowl. OU is one of about five helmet teams that every team wants to beat. It will be no different in the SEC.
                                                                                              OU may be that in first year but after that...naw

Comment

#48
                                                                                                [/closeThread]

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

You left Asamoah off your list. He's the type of guy who will go the NFL and become an instant starter.
                                                                                                  I don’t think he’ll jump early.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by smusooner View Post

no shit...sad but that made me laugh

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1