First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OU Head Football Coach Candidate List

It looks like there's a good chance we get to amicably divorce ourselves from HCLR.

Brainstorming on who Joe C would be looking at.

The usual suspects:

Venables - still has two sons at Clemson

Rhule - would want to bring in his own staff; no continuity

Aranda - would likely want to bring in his own staff.

Im fine with hiring a OC/DC also.

Rhule would be the best option.

Comment

Luke FIckell. No brainer, IMO.

Comment

Im also assuming that with LR's and Joe C's relationship he let him know in advance. So hopefully we've had two weeks or so to plan for this.

Comment

Welp, so much for the DNA bullshit

Comment

Fickell, Crystobal, Aranda. I'd be fine with anyone who can recruit and run a disciplined program.

Comment

Watch OU rehire Bob lol.

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
                Luke FIckell. No brainer, IMO.
                The Cincinnati guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post
                  Watch OU rehire Bob lol.
                  Im thinking Bob would coach the bowl game. But not a permanent hire or anything.

Comment

Luke Fickell
                    Mario Cristobal
                    Lane Kiffin
                    Hugh Freeze
                    Urban Meyer
                    Matt Rhule

Comment

I would like to see a Venables type hire....and then pay Kendall Briles to get him to be our OC

Comment

Mark Stoops? Josh Heupel?

Or go internal again and pick between Grinch/Gundy/Bedenbaugh?

Or bring Bob back please

Comment

I'm not sold on Aranda. He, like Gundy, benefited a lot from the extra Covid year.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                            Luke Fickell
                            Mario Cristobal
                            Lane Kiffin
                            Hugh Freeze
                            Urban Meyer
                            Matt Rhule
                            Luke Fickell - yes
                            Mario Cristobal - maybe
                            Lane Kiffin - fuck no
                            Hugh Freeze - fuck no
                            Urban Meyer - yes
                            Matt Rhule - maybe

Comment

Urban Meyer would be the best hire overall. I know he's getting destroyed in the NFL but he's a college coach that never should have gone to the NFL. He'll probably be let go from Jacksonville by years end. I'm not sure OU goes and gets him though. Also he seems like a guy that after a few years would just quit out of nowhere because of pressure.

Comment

Urban Meyer would be the best hire overall. I know he's getting destroyed in the NFL but he's a college coach that never should have gone to the NFL. He'll probably be let go from Jacksonville by years end. I'm not sure OU goes and gets him though. Also he seems like a guy that after a few years would just quit out of nowhere because of pressure.
                                I'm not sure Urb and OU's compliance dept would be sympatico.

Comment

Im not a fan of retreads....even the successful ones.

new/young coaches are cheaper and easier to breakup with.

Comment

247 saying Jeff Lebby is a candidate. Fuck that noise!

Comment

Lane kiffin would be good with arkansas DC

Comment

Originally posted by SoopaSooner View Post
                                        He’ll definitely be on a long list.

Comment

I wouldn't mind him as an OC hire if we got a defensive head coach. It would be a nice story for a guy that went here and couldn't play because of an injury to come back and be the HC though. Hopefully we get a culture change to have an aggressive team up front on both sides of the ball. Lincoln was never about that.

Comment

Younger assistant coach with SEC ties...If it's not him then then someone like that is who it might be

Comment

Call Aranda, and ask him what he wants. He won a title in the SEC. I think they might have to wait a little. You would have the same with Fickel. Cristobal would also be good since he is a South Florida guy who has SEC ties.

Comment

I guess we need to wait on news about the staff....who follows LR and who stays behind hoping to get retained by the new guy.

Comment

We could rent him for a few years and that's fine with me. The problem is that we need to not collapse in recruiting and also need to instill some toughness in our players.

Comment

Kiffin would at least be fun.

Comment

Lebby can't be a serious consideration. He does do all the legwork for Kiffin, but c'mon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner5030 View Post
                                                        I would like to see a Venables type hire....and then pay Kendall Briles to get him to be our OC
                                                        Give me Lebby or Tennessee's OC.

Comment

Has Luke Fickell ever stepped foot outside the state of Ohio? Not sure I like the idea of him.

Comment

It’s easier to go out and hire good OC’s than DC’s. I want to see a good defensive coach that goes out and hires a good OC. Basically what Stoops did. Aranda knows $EC football, he coaches a physical brand. He’s the guy I’d go hard after.

Comment

Couple weeks till early signing day. Smh
                                                              Joe C better move like warp speed fast.
                                                              I'm totally fine with him leaving but fuck the timing of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner5030 View Post

Im thinking Bob would coach the bowl game. But not a permanent hire or anything.
                                                                Not even. Let Grinch coach the bowl game. Or maybe Gundy. Throw him a bone before he has to look elsewhere.

Comment

Coach O is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Thanksforyourcoach View Post
                                                                    Coach O is available.
                                                                    You must be down today. We got rid of our coach but you didnt get him lol

of course youre probably not even an LSU fan...just some sock

Comment

Urban Fucking Meyer. The guy wins. Plus, it'd be a nice fuck you to Texas after they failed to get him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by TStove View Post
                                                                        Mark Stoops? Josh Heupel?

Or go internal again and pick between Grinch/Gundy/Bedenbaugh?

Or bring Bob back please
                                                                        I don't know about BB or Gundy but I'm very curious about Grinch. Grinch has improved OU D more than Riley did with our O. Grinch has been a part of OU and Ohio State system (when Meyer was HC). In addition, he was part of NC teams in college. His mindset is also solid. I hope he get's a realistic shot at the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post

Luke Fickell - yes
                                                                          Mario Cristobal - maybe
                                                                          Lane Kiffin - fuck no
                                                                          Hugh Freeze - fuck no
                                                                          Urban Meyer - yes
                                                                          Matt Rhule - maybe
                                                                          Im flabbergasted, (but not surprised) that of all the moral grandstanding you do on here, you have no problems with OU hiring Urban Fucking Meyer.

Comment

Isn't Lebby the lying little jerk that took a scholarship at OU knowing that he was hurt and unable to play, and if memory serves me right he showed up at Owens Field as the supposed guest of an opposing coach to scout us before we played Baylor.....correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right I would be floored if we even remotely considered hiring him.

Comment

#39
                                                                              CALE GUNDY time to start giving opportunities to loyal coaches BOOMER!

Comment

#40
                                                                                Urban Meyer
                                                                                Aranda
                                                                                Kiffin

Grinch? (Not sure if he is a great recruiter)

Comment

#41
                                                                                  He left Ohio State in a great spot when he left & with the NCAA getting out of the punishment game,(going to a more conference will be over that), the compliance department should be better.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Huepel wouldn’t be bad. He went and got HC experience and would be a guy that would be at OU for as long as he is wanted. He has done some pretty good things at Tennessee

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Urban Meyer

end of list

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Can his father in law run the compliance department?

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by TonySoprano View Post
                                                                                          Urban Meyer

end of list
                                                                                          Castiglione is Italian. He should know all about that "made him an offer he couldn't refuse" stuff.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            No chance in hell Joe C considers UM. He should but we all know how that goes.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by IKE93 View Post
                                                                                              CALE GUNDY time to start giving opportunities to loyal coaches BOOMER!
                                                                                              Why not? They guy can recruit like no one else.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Anyone posting on this board knows more than the guys at 247. Anyone.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I don't see Urban for the simple fact of him not being a long term fit. And if you want a guy to do that you already have one in your back pocket with Bob Stoops. I bet Bob now regrets letting Lincoln take the reigns seeing how he ended up being.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    #1 choice is Urban Meyer hands down

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1