Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumors flying about Brent Venables being the next OU coach.

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumors flying about Brent Venables being the next OU coach.

It’s been speculated on SoonerScoop.com, and OU 247. Supposed to be a press conference at 3 today.

Originally posted by Empire View Post
    It’s been speculated on SoonerScoop.com, and OU 247. Supposed to be a press conference at 3 today.
    This will be good. very good.

Comment

I approve of this message.

Comment

That would be wild

Comment

Like Riley is gutting this program by taking players with him, BV can pull those amazing Clemson defensive players with him also.

Comment

There's been a 3pm press conference scheduled all day with Joe C, Bob and Harroz to discuss the situation. I would be more than shocked if it was to introduce a new coach.

Comment

I don't see it, personally. The ceiling for this type of hire is Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

Comment

I saw a pic on another forum of his son doing the horns down.

Comment

There is a picture with the Clemson QB and Brent’s kid giving the horns down on twitter in the last hour

Comment

I've always liked BV even when others wanted him out as DC. And he has been a big time success at Clemson. And I was always bitter that Bob brought back Mike and pretty much forced BV to leave or take a demotion to co-DC. BV was never going to stay under those terms. I would love to see BV come back as HC.

Comment

Originally posted by MJSooner View Post
                      There's been a 3pm press conference scheduled all day with Joe C, Bob and Harroz to discuss the situation. I would be more than shocked if it was to introduce a new coach.

Where is the stream?

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerJames View Post
                        There is a picture with the Clemson QB and Brent’s kid giving the horns down on twitter in the last hour
                        smoke.

Comment

Not that I think it's a bad hire, but it sure feels like it's a rush job to stop the bleeding. IF TRUE.

Comment

I am starting to get on board with Brent V. Listened to Gabe and Teddy's podcast and Teddy swayed me.

Brent V is more aware of what we need to do to win a title than Lincoln Riley. He knows what it takes. He was part of our initial rebuild, which is one of the greatest ever. They took a few decent players, got a few more, changed the culture, developed players to their fullest, and won it all in two years. I realize it was a different era, but what an amazing accomplishment. He would have more cache than Kirby Smart.

Is he still considered "young?" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by auto View Post

Where is the stream?
                              soonersports.com I believe.

Also going to be broadcast on the Sports Animal.

Comment

I'll believe when I see it, but I'd be totally cool with this.

Comment

Not sure this is the right choice. Feels a bit like getting the band back together/safe hire. Was the Clemson success his doing or the fact that Clemson is smack dab in some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in America and a crazy good DL for a few years?

Comment

Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post
                                    I've always liked BV even when others wanted him out as DC. And he has been a big time success at Clemson. And I was always bitter that Bob brought back Mike and pretty much forced BV to leave or take a demotion to co-DC. BV was never going to stay under those terms. I would love to see BV come back as HC.
                                    As close as Bob is to the OU program, I wonder how that would affect Brent's decision to return. Kind of like how I would not expect Heupel to return if Bob was still in any way involved.

Comment

Please, football gods, make this happen!

Brent would be the perfect coach to lead OU into the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
                                        Not that I think it's a bad hire, but it sure feels like it's a rush job to stop the bleeding. IF TRUE.
                                        Bro, we aren’t just bleeding at the moment…we are hemorrhaging

Comment

Originally posted by soonerguru View Post
                                          I am starting to get on board with Brent V. Listened to Gabe and Teddy's podcast and Teddy swayed me.

Brent V is more aware of what we need to do to win a title than Lincoln Riley. He knows what it takes. He was part of our initial rebuild, which is one of the greatest ever. They took a few decent players, got a few more, changed the culture, developed players to their fullest, and won it all in two years. I realize it was a different era, but what an amazing accomplishment. He would have more cache than Kirby Smart.

Is he still considered "young?" LOL
                                          10 years from now he will be 60. If he still has the fire by then great. If not, we will be able to find someone else by then.

Comment

Who was the poster sleeping with Venerables' mom? keef? He's gotta be getting nervous if Brent comes back to Norman...

SPOILER

Comment

I love Brent but he really sucked the last few years he was here.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
                                                Not sure this is the right choice. Feels a bit like getting the band back together/safe hire. Was the Clemson success his doing or the fact that Clemson is smack dab in some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in America and a crazy good DL for a few years?
                                                The whole "band back together" description is how I labeled the Riley hiring (with the whole Leach air-raid stuff). That turned out way better than I expected (until now anyway). So I get where you're coming from. And I also asked yesterday in another thread if Venables' success at Clemson was because he became a better coach or he had better players playing for him. Until he shows up here and coaches, there's not a good answer.

Comment

I have seen some Tweets from former D players that were under Brent at OU that are pulling for him.

Comment

Maybe this will test the theory that moving to the SEC will allow OU to recruit crazy good DLs. Brent has been the right hand man of 2 different HC that have rebuilt their programs all the way to win the NC. And he has reportedly turned down many lesser jobs - maybe he was waiting for this one. I'm in.

Comment

BV is the one guy I don’t think I could handle rumors about. It’s either gotta be Brent or we move on down the line. That’s because I think he is THE dude for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

The whole "band back together" description is how I labeled the Riley hiring (with the whole Leach air-raid stuff). That turned out way better than I expected (until now anyway). So I get where you're coming from. And I also asked yesterday in another thread if Venables' success at Clemson was because he became a better coach or he had better players playing for him. Until he shows up here and coaches, there's not a good answer.

It can be both, but need the players. Would need to bring that level of recruiting and "The recruiting tactics" that are used to get those players. Everyone needs to get ready to be okay with that. Venables as just a coach (or even Urban Meyer) would not be enough. Need the Jimmies and the Joes.

Comment

Originally posted by mexican/ninja View Post
                                                          Who was the poster sleeping with Venerables' mom? keef? He's gotta be getting nervous if Brent comes back to Norman...

SPOILER
                                                          you've got me confused with someone else.

i sex up bert ventertables's mom

Comment

Just a couple.

Comment

Rumors flying about a lot of potential coaches.

Comment

Hearing a lot about this but not going to believe until the official announcement from the university

Comment

Originally posted by LT-OU View Post
                                                                  BV is the one guy I don’t think I could handle rumors about. It’s either gotta be Brent or we move on down the line. That’s because I think he is THE dude for the job.
                                                                  Yeah, I almost hate to get my hopes up. He's a great recruiter and probably more suited for the SEC than Riley. I just assumed by now that he'd never take a head coaching job. However I just read that his son, Jake announced last week that he is forgoing his last two years of eligibility there so the timing may be perfect.

Comment

I hope not. Seems like a stale type candidate with a low ceiling. Great coaches don’t sit in comfy Coordinator positions year after year until they find the “perfect” opportunity. Great head coaches are alpha types that gamble on themselves. I could be wrong, but I see Venable as a coach that loses 4 - 5 games each year. That’s the worst kind of coach. I would rather find a coach that succeeds wildly or fails so horribly that he’s easy to replace. Venables is the kind of coach that might lead OU into mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

As close as Bob is to the OU program, I wonder how that would affect Brent's decision to return. Kind of like how I would not expect Heupel to return if Bob was still in any way involved.
                                                                      That could be, but BV never acted bitter as Heupel has. And Bob really did try to keep BV if the reports were true, but co-DC was just not acceptable. Interesting times.

Comment

Depending on the staff he could put together I would have no issue with this hire. He's an amazing recruiter and has deep connections in the south now. Oklahoma is always gonna be able to recruit our state and texas but if we can get a head coach that can pull georgia players we take him. Georgia players that we are getting are players that Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. aren't getting. If he's ready to be a CEO after watching Bob and Dabo do it then bring him (and some recruits) on.

Comment

1. I want it to be Venables.
                                                                          b. If you are gonna be on Twitter please learn to identify fake accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Foster10 View Post
                                                                            I love Brent but he really sucked the last few years he was here.
                                                                            Yes, but the offenses run in the Big XII now and most of the SEC are not the same as they were when he left. Also, Brent would be HC and not DC. Finally, I think Teddy Lehman made a good point when he said he has worked under 3 HOF coaches, all a bit different, Dabo being the most different of all. It's fair to say he has picked up things from all of them.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

That could be, but BV never acted bitter as Heupel has. And Bob really did try to keep BV if the reports were true, but co-DC was just not acceptable. Interesting times.
                                                                              Venables was supposed to be the DC with Mike as the secondary coach. Venables and Swinney themselves have both said as much. BV was just offered stupid money to run his own show at Clemson. He literally stated that in a few interviews. He said “Oklahoma wanted to keep me here and they saddled up to the negotiating table very impressively. This is just my best path to possibly become a head coach one day.”

Comment

#40
                                                                                Brent has been in the room -- and in the weight room -- with two recent national championship teams. He is more au Courant than Riley when it comes to winning on the highest level. He has been in the room. He knows what it takes. Riley can only guess or ask others. He is on the outside looking in.

This would be a baller move for OU in my opinion.

Brent will have to hire a dynamite set of coordinators and one hell of a QB coach to keep Caleb on board.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  There was a photo of Venables son doing the horns down on Barstool Sooners, but was taken down. evidently they were asked to take it down. a friend of mine texted it to me before it was removed. still not sure if it means anything.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Home Run if true

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by soonerguru View Post
                                                                                      Brent has been in the room -- and in the weight room -- with two recent national championship teams. He is more au Courant than Riley when it comes to winning on the highest level. He has been in the room. He knows what it takes. Riley can only guess or ask others. He is on the outside looking in.

This would be a baller move for OU in my opinion.

Brent will have to hire a dynamite set of coordinators and one hell of a QB coach to keep Caleb on board.
                                                                                      I can’t see any way Gundy doesn’t get the OC gig if Venables is the guy. Those two were very tight and our best recruiters of the Stoops era before Riley came along.

BV getting much needed time away to grow as a coach and Gundy has served under Leach, Mangino (NC), Long (NCG twice), Kevin Wilson (NCG), Heupel, Norvell and Riley. I’d wager he can be a very good OC simply based on his expertise and experience around exceptional offenses through the years.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post
                                                                                        There was a photo of Venables son doing the horns down on Barstool Sooners, but was taken down. evidently they were asked to take it down. a friend of mine texted it to me before it was removed. still not sure if it means anything.
                                                                                        DJ Ugialfsdlj, or however you spell his name is also in the photo, fwiw. The QB. lol

Comment

#45
                                                                                          g

Comment

#46
                                                                                            The guy that the fan base could have had a parade for the day it was announced he was leaving? The one that was blamed for the 55-19 Orange Bowl, meltdown to Boise State in OT, the thumping by West Virginia in the Fiesta, and the loss to Texas in 2008? That one?

I take it everybody had a change of heart or just forgot how they acted?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              When Clemson won their first title they had average recruiting like below OU when stoops was here. BV has made tons of 3 stars NFL starters both at OU and Clemson.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Bitchfighter View Post
                                                                                                I don't see it, personally. The ceiling for this type of hire is Bo Pelini at Nebraska.
                                                                                                Lol what?? Pelini and Venables are drastically different dudes.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by LongarLongar View Post
                                                                                                  1. I want it to be Venables.
                                                                                                  b. If you are gonna be on Twitter please learn to identify fake accounts.
                                                                                                  Like this one

.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    took me a minute to get it off my phone. lol. still don't know if it means anything..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1