Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumors flying about Brent Venables being the next OU coach.

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another plus about Venables is that it could happen immediately. With Lanning, he’s competing for a NC.

Kirby and Lanning would have to decide to either publicly announce he’s going to OU but finish the playoffs with UGA, or leave UGA high and dry right before their most important 2-3 games in decades. On par with their run with Frohm. Tough Call for them.

Venables can stabilize us immediately. And at this rate, we may not have enough warm bodies for a meaningless bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

Joe should be fired if he gives an unproven head coach an 8yr/$85mil deal...
      I think he's going to have to be at least in the $6 mil range to get either BV or Lanning.

Comment

Clemson’s season is over except for a bowl game. Venebles should have been announced already if he was the guy. Your admin got caught standing still and is scrambling to find someone. Even LSU with it’s looming issues was able to make a decent hire and don’t let anyone fool you, Riley played them like a fiddle also.
        OU is on the precipice. I predict Big Game Bob will be back for another year if the admin can talk him into it.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post
          A friend sent me this.. I'm totally cool with Lanning or Venables. The thing I like about Venables is that OU seems like the one job he's been waiting on. But not lost in this is Caleb Williams name being amongst those following Lanning.

Are they following the OC or Smart.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post

I wasn’t throwing shade at him. We need to get things corrected in a hurry and I’d be cool with the hire. I was just saying, look at most peoples’ wish lists. It’s all OU ties, Texas Tech ties, Stoops ties or people still jerking off to Aranda.

As of right now, I’d be very careful about going all in on Aranda. He looks like he’s going to be a good one… but it’s not like his great win against Oklahoma appears to be anything other than him and Gundy catching Riley with a foot out the door by now.
            I’d be most nervous with Aranda because he’s still unproven. Could be another Tom Herman. If we’re going to do an unproven commodity I’d rather it be a coordinator who’d be less expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by XXL TideFan View Post
              Clemson’s season is over except for a bowl game. Venebles should have been announced already if he was the guy. Your admin got caught standing still and is scrambling to find someone. Even LSU with it’s looming issues was able to make a decent hire and don’t let anyone fool you, Riley played them like a fiddle also.
              OU is on the precipice. I predict Big Game Bob will be back for another year if the admin can talk him into it.
              It's almost like LSU had months to work on this and time to get boosters to pony up a mountain of cash and OU has been looking for 2 days

Comment

Bring Bob back for 1yr won’t happen.
                #1 would just prolong the uncertainty and kill recruiting not knowing who the permanent HC will be
                #2 Bob said so himself that it won’t happen

Comment

Originally posted by SportyJames View Post

Are they following the OC or Smart.
                  Don't know. I don't know how to check Twitter followers but if anyone does it'd be nice to know.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaXIV View Post

It's almost like LSU had months to work on this and time to get boosters to pony up a mountain of cash and OU has been looking for 2 days
                    but ..... USC got their guy in 12 hours

Comment

Originally posted by M40 View Post

Bring Bob back for 1yr won’t happen.
                      #1 would just prolong the uncertainty and kill recruiting not knowing who the permanent HC will be
                      #2 Bob said so himself that it won’t happen
                      I think it was something to the effect of "Joe won't wait that long" to hire somebody. Don't know if it was in reference to the 12/15 recruiting date or the bowl game date.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerBAS View Post

but ..... USC got their guy in 12 hours
                        Yep, and convinced multiple families to uproot their lives in under 12 hrs. Totally normal and believable

Comment

Originally posted by Bigpoppa85 View Post
                          Another plus about Venables is that it could happen immediately. With Lanning, he’s competing for a NC.

Kirby and Lanning would have to decide to either publicly announce he’s going to OU but finish the playoffs with UGA, or leave UGA high and dry right before their most important 2-3 games in decades. On par with their run with Frohm. Tough Call for them.

Venables can stabilize us immediately. And at this rate, we may not have enough warm bodies for a meaningless bowl game.
                          I want the best guy for the job long term regardless of near term benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaXIV View Post

My thoughts exactly. OU is on the precipice because they haven't hired a new coach in 2 days? Getting the right coach is more important than getting the first coach. This is a multi-year decision. And like you pointed out, LSU has been hunting for a lot longer than 2 days.

Comment

I'm sure there are other mentions somewhere in this thread sadly lacking in Spiderman memes, but I saw Shane Beamer mentioned as well. I'd be intrigued by that one, though perceptually it's not the splash hire that they'll probably make. I'd be okay with BV or Lanning.

Comment

A one year deal for Bob would be terrible for the overall health of the program.

Comment

So, and I know Joe probably doesn't think like this, hiring Lanning would accomplish many things. First, it would take a stellar coach/recruiter away from a future conference opponent, meet the historical HC requirements, toughen up the team, etc. Prolly more. I'd never considered it from that angle before...

Comment

You have no idea what you're talking about here.

There is zero chance Harroz, Joe C and Bob weren't ready for Lincoln's departure...even if they say they were "surprised".

Their comment about being "surprised" had a ton of nuance and innuendo.

Comment

No one has any idea what is going on...

lol

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status...101952/photo/1

Comment

Half truth. I don't think anyone thought Riley was capable of being such a snake after bringing him in from a g5 program and making him a multi millionaire at age 30 and hand over a top 10 roster to start his legacy just 2 years after he arrived

Comment

Originally posted by smusooner View Post

You have no idea what you're talking about here.

There is zero chance Harroz, Joe C and Bob weren't ready for Lincoln's departure...even if they say they were "surprised".

Their comment about being "surprised" had a ton of nuance and innuendo.
                                          Exactly how long do you think they've know LR was leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post

Don't know. I don't know how to check Twitter followers but if anyone does it'd be nice to know.
                                            None of the OU players follow Todd Monken (yes, THAT Todd Monken) as far as I know. But I don’t follow that many OU players. Caleb and Mario both follow Kirby though.

But they also follow Ed Orgeron and Dan Mullen and Mario Cristabol and a few others. So that might be just from their recruiting days.

Comment

Originally posted by WISooner View Post

lol

I got it all figured out but I’m sworn to secrecy. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post

I got it all figured out but I’m sworn to secrecy. Sorry
                                                Your new avatar is solid!!!

Comment

I think BV is still the guy. I think rumors of him suggesting Jeff Lebby as OC are meeting resistance due to his affiliation with Briles and the Tulsa Incident. Graham Harrell may be in the mix as an alternative.

I think Beamer is choice 1A if BV doesn't work out. But I think it's is still BV until advised otherwise

And don't be surprised if OU announces a bunch of enhancements to the program in connection with the new coach hiring. Joe C wants the world to know what LR turned down.

Don't think for a minute that OU's going to let what Riley did go unnoticed behind the scenes. They were ready to give him *almost* everything he wanted - except firing of the Compliance head and direct input over Joe C's successor, and that's when some BMDs told him to get lost. They'd had enough of his ego and paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by Butt Stink View Post

Listening to Ikard and Lehman, there were clear signs for a while. I think TFB conveyed something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerDave View Post

Don't think for a minute that OU's going to let what Riley did go unnoticed behind the scenes. They were ready to give him *almost* everything he wanted - except firing of the Compliance head and direct input over Joe C's successor, and that's when some BMDs told him to get lost. They'd had enough of his ego and paranoia.
                                                      If this is true then good riddance. I think it's the UGA DC or Brent though.

Comment

Dusty just tweeted eyeballs

Comment

lol

I really hope Rhule does not come, I have never been impressed with him

Comment

Originally posted by dstrait2 View Post
                                                            Did he sign with the Bears?

Comment

BV is a home run, Rhule would be a grand slam. He can scheme and game plan like no other. Brings toughness and culture. He won big at Temple. Let that sink in.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonersFan View Post

He looks like the neighborhood kid who sucked at sports but would call you out on all the Rhules. Plus he has a punchable face.

Comment

Dusty spinning up the hype

Comment

I will say this, had the tweet about Bob not come out, he would not be on the Fox show this weekend.

Comment

I can say the players are still saying it’s BV with Lebby as OC. That’s why there haven’t been many portal takers like everybody thought. Apparently tho somebody inside the program heard either Lanning or Lebby as HC which is what’s pushing the announcement back.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

I will say this, had the tweet about Bob not come out, he would not be on the Fox show this weekend.
                                                                        That tweet had no significance.

Comment

If its Lanning we probably don't receive an official announcement until after his game....Maybe Sunday or Monday

Comment

Originally posted by SoonersFan View Post

he may be the best coach in the sport....but gotdamn, his "game face" is f'ing hard to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer00 View Post
                                                                              I can say the players are still saying it’s BV with Lebby as OC. That’s why there haven’t been many portal takers like everybody though. Apparently tho somebody inside the program heard either Lanning or Lebby as HC which is what’s pushing the announcement back.
                                                                              That would be a scenario I'd actually be okay with. I've always trusted Brent Venables judgement. I think he's probably the best Linebacker Coach I have seen in 20+ years. I think he made the most out of a terrible situation at OU. I hope Joe and Bob can reel him this way if this is the OC he would bring. If it's Lebby as Head Coach I'd prefer to know who he brings as OC and DC.

Comment

Originally posted by dstrait2 View Post
                                                                                he just woke up and saw the Roy Manning ordeal

Comment

Originally posted by RedOnTheHead View Post

Yeah it sure seemed like something was amiss after the way they looked against Kansas and taking the Monday off, the missing press conference. Honestly, I thought maybe there was a serious illness w/his wife or one of his kids.

It's a gut punch and all the decommits and transfers suck but after the way they squeaked by most of the games this season it sure seemed like there wasn't a lot of coaching/teaching/preparing going on. And you know who might've gotten royally screwed in this whole deal? Spencer Rattler. If Lincoln coached up a high octane offense with an O-Line that could protect, he may have had the season we all thought he would've.

Towards the end of the season it felt like something really needed to change. You don't fire a Lincoln Riley but there was damn sure something really wrong with the team. As long as OU makes the correct hire, this might all be a blessing in disguise.
                                                                                  The biggest thing wrong with the team is that Riley never figured out how to attack the zone defenses he was facing.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerDave View Post
                                                                                    I think BV is still the guy. I think rumors of him suggesting Jeff Lebby as OC are meeting resistance due to his affiliation with Briles and the Tulsa Incident. Graham Harrell may be in the mix as an alternative.

I think Beamer is choice 1A if BV doesn't work out. But I think it's is still BV until advised otherwise

And don't be surprised if OU announces a bunch of enhancements to the program in connection with the new coach hiring. Joe C wants the world to know what LR turned down.

Very doubtful Graham Harrell is on the list since he is one of USC and Riley's go betweens for communicating

Comment

Originally posted by gratefulRed View Post

he may be the best coach in the sport....but gotdamn, his "game face" is f'ing hard to look at.

Comment

I want the best guy for the job long term regardless of near term benefits.
                                                                                        I agree. I think Venables can be both though

Comment

Originally posted by OUspark View Post

That would be a scenario I'd actually be okay with. I've always trusted Brent Venables judgement. I think he's probably the best Linebacker Coach I have seen in 20+ years. I think he made the most out of a terrible situation at OU. I hope Joe and Bob can reel him this way if this is the OC he would bring. If it's Lebby as Head Coach I'd prefer to know who he brings as OC and DC.
                                                                                          there is no f'ing WAY OU is hiring Jeff Lebby as a HC here. An OC? sure...but as a HC?? Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

Does anyone really believe Dean on anything?

Comment

If there's even a "backup idea" at this point, that'd be HIGHLY disappointing, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by gratefulRed View Post

there is no f'ing WAY OU is hiring Jeff Lebby as a HC here. An OC? sure...but as a HC?? Not a chance.
                                                                                                why in the heck would he leave Ole MS for OU for the same job title?

Comment

Well, there is that...

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Your new avatar is solid!!!
                                                                                                    I’m in incognito mode. This is the closest thing I get to porn anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post

this "backup option" that Dean is not high on.....has to be Lane Kiffen. If I remember correctly, Dean is not fond of that guy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1