First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players Transferring.... Mindset?

So it get with the portal, it will happen, but it is seemingly very active for OU at this point, especially the starters. Let's just assume they are not heading to SUC (maybe they are), and with entering the portal doesn't mean they are leaving. Are they leaving because of the state of the program? Leaving because Lincoln is gone? Leaving because they are pissed that the program didn't fix the culture? Greener pastures? Worries about Caleb leaving? I 100% get the de-commits, the transfer portal minus Rattler is somewhat puzzling. Why not wait to see who the head coach is?

I think they are looking for stability. Currently there isn't much in Norman - we need to name a HBC ASAP

Comment

It's a tiny bit comforting to remember that declaring entry into the transfer portal is not the same thing as transferring.
      A kid can enter the portal, look around at other opportunities, then elect to stay at OU if the grass is not greener elsewhere.
      That process takes time, and we'll have a HBC soon enough for that to be a factor in their decision.

Boomer.

Comment

Originally posted by ab5sr View Post
        I think they are looking for stability. Currently there isn't much in Norman - we need to name a HBC ASAP
        Yes.... I am hoping that is done by End of Week.

Comment

Originally posted by bakerjrb View Post
          It's a tiny bit comforting to remember that declaring entry into the transfer portal is not the same thing as transferring.
          A kid can enter the portal, look around at other opportunities...
          Entering the portal gives other teams (coaches) the legal right to to call the players to discuss coming to their schools.

I fully expect to see South Carolina pick up some of our guys; Shane Beamer was LOVED by the players. He was consistently referred to as one of the best coaches on staff by players, OU coaches and past teams (VaTech, Georgia, uSC).

I believe one of the biggest reasons the team performed poorly this year was that Shane had left the program. He was the glue holding the players together, much more than Riley. Had Shane stayed at OU, I suspect he would have taken over as interim HC and the turmoil we are seeing now would not have been as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by auto View Post

Yes.... I am hoping that is done by End of Week.
            Me too, need to get this thing rolling again.

Comment

Have there been any more since Stognar announced? I'm not the least bit surprised at the ones that entered so far if it's the same list with Stognar being the 5th.

Comment

Can't blame the players, they got to do what is best for them

Comment

Why have none of them been picked up by Riley ?
                  What does a player think when Mr. family / USC-DNA doesn't give them a call?

Comment

Originally posted by Thulsa Doom View Post
                    Why have none of them been picked up by Riley ?
                    What does a player think when Mr. family / USC-DNA doesn't give them a call?
                    Not to be cruel or bad mouthing anyone but maybe LR thinks he can get better?

Comment

To the op, Isaiah Thomas said in that zoom with Murdock that players are there for the coach. He even said outright, players don't go to Alabama because it's Alabama, they go because of the coach. So I'm sure to the ones with that mindset, not having a coach is like not having a team.

The ones that hang in there -- for what must feel like an eternity at that age -- may well like the new coach enough to stay if he can sell them that he can get them to the pros (or just win big), too.

Comment

A kid can enter the portal, look around at other opportunities, then elect to stay at OU if the grass is not greener elsewhere.
                        That process takes time, and we'll have a HBC soon enough for that to be a factor in their decision.

Boomer.
                        Then why do it all? I think the only reason any of those guys would come back to OU is if they didn't get picked up by a better school. If I were the next HC that would make me question how "in" they were to the program. If they have any intention of staying at OU, I think they could damage themselves by entering the portal.

In the end the portal isn't a one-way street for any University including OU. And could greatly benefit any coach that learned how to use it and even relied on it for part of their class.

Having said that, I think we've got some pretty loyal players from the top to the bottom. I expected worse but we'll see I guess.

Comment

This has to be nerve racking for the players. Most of them were blindsided too. They have to look out for themselves because clearly, some of the adults are not.

I just hope they exercise some patience while keeping their options open.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoLab View Post
                            To the op, Isaiah Thomas said in that zoom with Murdock that players are there for the coach. He even said outright, players don't go to Alabama because it's Alabama, they go because of the coach. So I'm sure to the ones with that mindset, not having a coach is like not having a team.

The ones that hang in there -- for what must feel like an eternity at that age -- may well like the new coach enough to stay if he can sell them that he can get them to the pros (or just win big), too.
                            If they have even an ounce of respect for Riley, much less still wanting to play for him, after he deliberately and purposefully gutted OU, then they can go ahead and line up at the portal door. We don't need any Benedict Arnold's inside the locker room.

Comment

On a related note, Nebraska qb Adrian Martinez entered the portal. Started 38 games for the Huskers. Three time captain...

Comment

Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                On a related note, Nebraska qb Adrian Martinez entered the portal. Started 38 games for the Huskers. Three time captain...
                                that's great news for Nebraska because Martinez really sucked at qb but apparently the nebish "just couldn't quit him"

Comment

I don't know why players would want to skip the bowl game with their current team. It gives them a chance to meet and evaluate their new coaches AND since a lot of them only have a set number of games that they get to play before the real world will kick in. I would give most anything to go back and play again.

Comment

Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                    On a related note, Nebraska qb Adrian Martinez entered the portal. Started 138 games for the Huskers. Three time captain...
                                    FIFY

Comment

Originally posted by Buccaneer View Post
                                      I don't know why players would want to skip the bowl game with their current team. It gives them a chance to meet and evaluate their new coaches AND since a lot of them only have a set number of games that they get to play before the real world will kick in. I would give most anything to go back and play again.
                                      Also a big chance of getting smoked badly with half a team...We saw how that worked for FL last year

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

Also a big chance of getting smoked badly with half a team...We saw how that worked for FL last year
                                        We're not going to need to relitigate that again, are we?
                                        What part of the Gator D was affected by their Tight End and WR opting out?

Comment

I think this is the new version of "re-opening my recruitment". There is uncertainty, and the guys that have portaled so far have underacheived. I'm not surprised by Rattler at all... he had lost the fan base, and he knows it. He needs a fresh start. Let's just be thrilled we haven't seen names like Caleb Williams or Marvin Mims or Mario Williams. Easy to focus on the guys trying to bail on us, but I'm trying to focus on the guys that are going to gut it out. Some of these 5*s we all think we want on our team, a lot of time, never live up to their billing.

Comment

We're not going to need to relitigate that again, are we?
                                            What part of the Gator D was affected by their Tight End and WR opting out?
                                            So you saying FL only missing two starters?

Comment

Rattler was gone either way...

wease, hazelwood were all tight with him...Wease didn't play this year and hazelwood saw mims and mario. Stog got hurt and tried to come back...the other was Mccutchin?...well, we know about his dad.

Don't see a big loss there by any of them. Maybe Rattler just because if CW leaves...but I appreciate CW not jumping the gun and waiting it out.

Comment

Addition by subtraction BOOMER!

Comment

On 247 predictions/results:
                                                  Rattler to UCLA
                                                  Haselwood to Arkansas
                                                  Wease to unknown
                                                  Stogner to SC
                                                  Noah Nelson and Justin Harrington are homeless

Comment

Originally posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
                                                    Rattler was gone either way...

wease, hazelwood were all tight with him...Wease didn't play this year and hazelwood saw mims and mario. Stog got hurt and tried to come back...the other was Mccutchin?...well, we know about his dad.

Don't see a big loss there by any of them. Maybe Rattler just because if CW leaves...but I appreciate CW not jumping the gun and waiting it out.
                                                    Not McCutchin. He’s still around and based on his Twitter it looks like he’s staying. I don’t think any defensive players are leaving so far. I know they all seem to love Cain on that side of the ball.

From his comments and likes on Twitter, Stogner seemed unhappy with both Lincoln and Finley this year. If he doesn’t go to a DFW area school he’ll probably go to SC to play for Beamer again.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerPower View Post

Not McCutchin. He’s still around and based on his Twitter it looks like he’s staying. I don’t think any defensive players are leaving so far. I know they all seem to love Cain on that side of the ball.

From his comments and likes on Twitter, Stogner seemed unhappy with both Lincoln and Finley this year. If he doesn’t go to a DFW area school he’ll probably go to SC to play for Beamer again.
                                                      Ya I saw his Twitter but I also swear I saw something about him entering portal.. guess not.

lol

Comment

Originally posted by eightisgreat View Post

If they have even an ounce of respect for Riley, much less still wanting to play for him, after he deliberately and purposefully gutted OU, then they can go ahead and line up at the portal door. We don't need any Benedict Arnold's inside the locker room.
                                                        I'd give those guys a "jet pack" when they line up at the portal!

I'm also sure that many "commit" to a university because of the coach, but I also believe there are some that were Sooners from the day they were old enuff to know better.

Comment

Originally posted by AllSooner View Post

I'd give those guys a "jet pack" when they line up at the portal!

I'm also sure that many "commit" to a university because of the coach, but I also believe there are some that were Sooners from the day they were old enuff to know better.
                                                          You commit to your coach and system but you are on the front lines with the players beside you and should become bound to them like family more than any coach. I totally get the uncertainty and anxiety that comes with the unknown. But if you hit the portal there's a lot of unknown there too. Yes you get a little bit of control about who your new coach and school but is it enough to jump to an entirely new school and set of players.

Comment

Look.. if the mthrfkrs came here for the fraud liar and want to go and some want to follow his trash ass.. so be it.

They are fkkg morons

Comment

Show some love

Comment

A lot of commits are showing resolve and Bob Stoops is really calming the waters with a lot of people. We are lucky to have him back for this transition.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                X
                                                                UA-124223861-1