First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI on Lanning

247 Georgia staff that has major connections at UGA said he has heard nothing that leads him to believe it will be Lanning. Drumm is a fanboy. Stop listening to him. He might finally get one right but the guy said it was 100% Venables just a couple days ago.

either way, OU needs a coach now. Lanning isn’t leaving the CFP before January.

Originally posted by GeorgiaSooner View Post
    247 Georgia staff that has major connections at UGA said he has heard nothing that leads him to believe it will be Lanning. Drumm is a fanboy. Stop listening to him. He might finally get one right but the guy said it was 100% Venables just a couple days ago.

It could still be lanning and could be announced Sunday BUT I don't think it'll be lanning.. at least not for HC but I really know nothing. With all the Venables talk I'd almost have to believe it's him. Again.. due to conference championship games if it isn't announced tomorrow then you'd have to think the guy's current team will be playing Saturday. Knowing that helps to narrow down the possibllities. I'm hoping OU will open up the check book and hire a strong defensive mind as HC and he in turn hire a strong like minded defensive guy as DC and hires a well known strong offensive minded OC. Keep DeMarco Murray, Cale Gundy, and maybe Cain, dump the others and start anew.

Comment

Georgia fans just don't want to lose him. :)

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post

It could still be lanning and could be announced Sunday BUT I don't think it'll be lanning.. at least not for HC but I really know nothing. With all the Venables talk I'd almost have to believe it's him. Again.. due to conference championship games if it isn't announced tomorrow then you'd have to think the guy's current team will be playing Saturday. Knowing that helps to narrow down the possibllities. I'm hoping OU will open up the check book and hire a strong defensive mind as HC and he in turn hire a strong like minded defensive guy as DC and hires a well known strong offensive minded OC. Keep DeMarco Murray, Cale Gundy, and maybe Cain, dump the others and start anew.
        Maybe keep Thibs for DE coach?

Comment

I fear that Bedenbaugh will remain, which means the Texas Tech connection will not be 100% severed. Really need a fresh start at the OL coaching position.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
            I fear that Bedenbaugh will remain, which means the Texas Tech connection will not be 100% severed. Really need a fresh start at the OL coaching position.
            Bedenbaugh was a Stoops hire. He was the architect of the GT counter.

Comment

I don't think Bedenbaugh is the root of that problem. It was Wiley.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Eclipse View Post

We'll know soon enough if he stays or goes I guess. Bedenbaugh arrived two years before Riley came in as OC and then Schmitty departed after Riley's first year as HC. So not a lot of data to go off of because of the close spacing of events. Wylie definitely sucked though. I hated the hire as soon as it was announced.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post

Bedenbaugh was a Stoops hire. He was the architect of the GT counter.
                  Yes, came from WVU and arrived two years before Riley did to be the OC. And was at Tech before WVU.

Comment

Didn't Kirby Smart stay on with Bama and accept the HC job at UGA? He did both...Lanning can too.

Comment

Bendenbaugh can recruit like a mofo and is 3 years from putting 3 guys (was it 4?) in the NFL. Let him work with a new S&C coach and OC...if he still sucks, move on.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasSucks View Post

Bendenbaugh can recruit like a mofo and is 3 years from putting 3 guys (was it 4?) in the NFL. Let him work with a new S&C coach and OC...if he still sucks, move on.

Fair enough. I care about good OU offensive line units though, not how many individuals go to the NFL. I guess we can say that the last time OU put up legitimate points in a playoff game, Schmitty was still the S&C coach.

Comment

Didn't Kirby Smart stay on with Bama and accept the HC job at UGA? He did both...Lanning can too.
                          Different set of circumstances. That was before early signing day, before the portal, and the coach he was replacing didn’t nuke the program.

Comment

Nobody in Norman has any real information. I sure wouldn't expect anything to be known in Athens one way or the other.

Comment

Fair enough. I care about good OU offensive line units though, not how many individuals go to the NFL. I guess we can say that the last time OU put up legitimate points in a playoff game, Schmitty was still the S&C coach.
                              Maybe now that LR is gone, Smitty comes back to OU? We could use someone to blame injuries on....plus..he's probably tired of all the jizz jars in the locker room, bathrooms, shower areas, weight room, trainers room, coaches' offices, concession stands......

Comment

34 vs Bama in the playoff 4 years ago was pretty solid considering we had zero total yards in the first quarter. They were completely overwhelmed early (William's was a stud and they had another dude with a weird name..bugg?)...but after they adjusted, they handled a really good Bama DLine for 3 quarters.

I get what you're saying but other than the DLine play this year, it's pretty apparent Wiley sucks. I'm on the fence too...if he leaves, fine. If he stays...fine too. Gonna be tough to replace his recruiting?

Comment

Totally.. no BB.

Comment

34 vs Bama in the playoff 4 years ago was pretty solid considering we had zero total yards in the first quarter. They were completely overwhelmed early (William's was a stud and they had another dude with a weird name..bugg?)...but after they adjusted, they handled a really good Bama DLine for 3 quarters.

I get what you're saying but other than the DLine play this year, it's pretty apparent Wiley sucks. I'm on the fence too...if he leaves, fine. If he stays...fine too. Gonna be tough to replace his recruiting?
                                    I'm for getting a younger OL coach who is fierce and out to make a name for himself. BB was good for awhile but it's time to let him go..

Comment

Originally posted by gratefulRed View Post

Maybe now that LR is gone, Smitty comes back to OU? We could use someone to blame injuries on....plus..he's probably tired of all the jizz jars in the locker room, bathrooms, shower areas, weight room, trainers room, coaches' offices, concession stands......
                                      Fuck Schmitty. JFC no retreads. We can get someone who is way better than Wiley without going backwards. Schmitty's approach is totally outmoded at this point.

Comment

Obviously I think Lanning would be a good choice, but I’ve seen no credible reports of OU reaching out to him or any other coach. It almost seems like OU knows they have to wait until CFP playoffs or maybe even some NFL candidates. There’s be no news anywhere. We’re all guessing. In the end, we’ll know who OU reached out to because they will get huge raises.

Comment

My biggest concern is not just that the OL has sucked (which it has, but maybe that's S&C problem) - it's that Bedenbaugh seemingly takes half a season to figure out who the best OL group is. That's inexcusable.

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post

Totally.. no BB.
                                            BB will not stay on here

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

BB will not stay on here
                                              I would go after John Cooper

Comment

I don't think there much chance of Lanning getting the OU job..

Comment

Bob Stoops mentioned that he thought it would be Monday at the latest. I agree that Lanning will not be the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerguru View Post

Fuck Schmitty. JFC no retreads. We can get someone who is way better than Wiley without going backwards. Schmitty's approach is totally outmoded at this point.
                                                    easy, Cowboy.....it was clearly a joke.

Comment

Don't you think the longer this goes on the more likely the next HC is someone potentially heading for the playoff? If it's BV then he could be announced now and skip Clemson's meaningless bowl game.

Surely Joe C was working on a contingency plan back when he thought he was outbidding LSU.

Comment

I don’t think any Georgia “insiders” would admit, before the biggest game in program history, that anyone was leaving. They will deny, deny, deny, until the truth is known. One way or another.

I think Lanning and BV are the serious candidates. I think. Truth is, nobody but JoeC knows for sure.

Comment

If it is Lanning, he can accept on Sunday and still coach the Georgia defense in the playoffs. Many coaches have done that before.

I know OU isn’t waiting until January to hire a coach.

Comment

When you are out recruiting I think having a list of players you helped obtain an NFL career comes in pretty handy.

Comment

The program is in Bob’s hands for the foreseeable future regardless. You could name either guy tomorrow but if it’s Lanning, he can’t be all in until the CFP is over. Bob has to take whatever bits of information he can get from Joe C about the new staff to salvage the roster and recruiting. That’s a very tough job for a guy who should rightfully be on a golf course right about now.

Comment

Meh… I just question how good he is anymore. I don’t think Tech has anything to do with it. Bedenbaugh hasn’t run the wide splits and pass pro stuff Tech does here at all. Mike Leach actually told Bedenbaugh and Riley to shut that shit down when they suggested adding a run game element to the Air Raid offense. Leach believed his system isn’t broken and not worth fixing. THAT is the kind of guy we DO NOT need. Oklahoma needs a strong presence in the run game.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                                                                  If it is Lanning, he can accept on Sunday and still coach the Georgia defense in the playoffs. Many coaches have done that before.

I know OU isn’t waiting until January to hire a coach.
                                                                  And if it IS Lanning, I would imagine Smart will release him. Lanning runs Smart’s defense. Jawja had the same defense before Lanning. Just not as loaded of a roster.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post

Meh… I just question how good he is anymore. I don’t think Tech has anything to do with it. Bedenbaugh hasn’t run the wide splits and pass pro stuff Tech does here at all. Mike Leach actually told Bedenbaugh and Riley to shut that shit down when they suggested adding a run game element to the Air Raid offense. Leach believed his system isn’t broken and not worth fixing. THAT is the kind of guy we DO NOT need. Oklahoma needs a strong presence in the run game.
                                                                    Correct Holgorsen wanted more of the running back element and I'm pretty sure it was BB that convinced Holg on that

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerAnon View Post

Maybe keep Thibs for DE coach?
                                                                      They better keep Thibs. He’s becoming a National force recruiting.

Comment

And if it IS Lanning, I would imagine Smart will release him. Lanning runs Smart’s defense. Jawja had the same defense before Lanning. Just not as loaded of a roster.
                                                                        I know, it's Blevins and all that. But when he was quoting the HOF coach (Switzer?) first praising Lanning, he said "Kirby will let him go." Meaning let him go before the playoff.

Comment

Correct Holgorsen wanted more of the running back element and I'm pretty sure it was BB that convinced Holg on that
                                                                          The skullet and Briles were the first of the Leach disciples to throw in a run game. Riley did it here but couldn’t realistically expect that with his ECU-level “talent.”

Comment

The skullet and Briles were the first of the Leach disciples to throw in a run game. Riley did it here but couldn’t realistically expect that with his ECU-level “talent.”
                                                                            I'm not so sure that putting in the "running game" portion at OU was all Riley's idea......I'm betting, if truth be known, that Bob had a big say in that department.

Comment

#39

Makes you kinda wonder how Leach and Mangino ever got along

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Sooner Eclipse View Post

Ima go with both

Comment

#41
                                                                                  This is just plain goofy talk, but he gone.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    My only concern is that we have seen some Alabama coordinators who were there for just a couple years go off and flop. I'm worried this could happen here, where it's more the head coach than the coordinators who are responsible for success. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Valid points on Lanning. He’s much more of an unknown than BV. Is it Kirby smart or Lanning really running the defense?

I lean towards BV as my first choice. Personally, we should also hire Lanning as our DC. Give him a big raise and let him run the defense. That would allow him to prove himself outside of Smarts shadow and make him more marketable as a HC candidate.

Make it happen!

Comment

#44

That kind of goes hand in hand.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Sooneralum2012 View Post
                                                                                          My only concern is that we have seen some Alabama coordinators who were there for just a couple years go off and flop. I'm worried this could happen here, where it's more the head coach than the coordinators who are responsible for success. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.
                                                                                          If you're scared of that then you're probably scared of any coach regardless of their experiences. Any new coach could be a flop.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

If you're scared of that then you're probably scared of any coach regardless of their experiences. Any new coach could be a flop.
                                                                                            Not at all.

Comment

#47

Makes you kinda wonder how Leach and Mangino ever got along
                                                                                              Neither ever played the game, IIRC. If Leach wanted somebody to be a royal asshole to the OL guys, then that was a perfect fit for a year. Remember, ANY success Oklahoma had offensively in that first and only year with Mike Leach was going to be celebrated. Boo Blake would’ve killed a man to have the clusterfuck of an offense like we had last year.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by AllSooner View Post

I'm not so sure that putting in the "running game" portion at OU was all Riley's idea......I'm betting, if truth be known, that Bob had a big say in that department.
                                                                                                It’s hard not to when you have a four deep of Perine, Mixon, Anderson and Flowers along with mobile quarterbacks. LR calmed the fires immediately about the Air Raid concerns. He basically said personnel and his old boss overrode whatever he wanted to accomplish in the run game at TT and ECU.

Comment

#49

Neither ever played the game, IIRC. If Leach wanted somebody to be a royal asshole to the OL guys, then that was a perfect fit for a year. Remember, ANY success Oklahoma had offensively in that first and only year with Mike Leach was going to be celebrated. Boo Blake would’ve killed a man to have the clusterfuck of an offense like we had last year.
                                                                                                  Yeah it would have been nice to see what Demond Parker could have done behind a Mangino Oline

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    How about Zach Hanson? His wife is director of recruiting at OU. He's just up the road here in Tulsa at TU.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1