Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone who’s paid attention should’ve seen that our program was headed in the same direction as A&M under Sumlin. I welcome the change and rebuild.

Comment

If you don’t wish to call it a rebuild fine.

The situation Riley left this University led to us bringing in a Retired Head Coach for our Bowl Game and hiring an untested Head Coach. The New HC should have been Venables with Riley as OC. Brent could have “Grown” here.

Brent is cleaning up Fukushima.

Comment

Easy to have faith in program guys and 3*s with heart when no games are being played. The interim coach and savior of the program with flowers being left on his statue made the CFP out of the Big 12 once in his final 3 years just like Riley, mostly because his roster talent had slipped to a level that should never happen at OU. It still matters a whole lot. We learned in the last four months that the old staff was never winning a title here regardless of talent but that doesn’t mean the new staff can contend without it.

Comment

With everyone in the Big 12 rebuilding next season and Texas still sucking, when you factor in OU's current talent level, what will be guaranteed improved strength and conditioning, greatly improved tackling and probably an OC that can make half-time adjustments and score in the 2nd half, OU has a high probability of winning the Big 12.

The 2022 class is toast depth wise. The big key is finding a way to repair the 2023 class and there is plenty of time to do that.
          Last edited by zcaa0g; 12-07-2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I agree that a rebuild was inevitable to be SEC competitive. But I would much rather have Venables rebuild than Riley (who probably wouldn't bother even if he decided to stay).

There was a point in this season that I remember thinking "is this Riley's ceiling?" and if it is, we have a real problem. Joe C really couldn't fire a guy who hits 10 wins/year. So we would be perpetually in this "good but not great" mode which is not good enough for this program IMO.

Comment

I guess I missed where all our players were leaving. There's enough players staying to build a solid foundation for next year. Plus, who's coming in? Nobody knows shit yet, and we don't even know who our position coaches are gonna be. A simple change in mindset/scheme/ATTITUDE with the current players will automatically make them better than they were last year. It's not like BV has to field a team for the SEC by Christmas. If Caleb stays, we get a couple decent receivers (or have the ones we have start playing better) our offense will be able to score some points. I have tons of faith in Venables to get the defense amped up. We'll be competitive next year. How competitive remains to be seen. In the meantime? I ain't whining or crying or bitching about the sky falling. Quite the opposite in fact. I expect great things next year. I expect our team to challenge this conference for the title. After that? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
                I agree that a rebuild was inevitable to be SEC competitive. But I would much rather have Venables rebuild than Riley (who probably wouldn't bother even if he decided to stay).
                Exactly. Hate it when ut fans are right but I can remember them warning us about the Wiley hire. They weren't wrong. We've got to overcome the soft, no accountability, CrossFit culture that Riley built. Wasn't gonna happen with him here. Before 2 weeks ago we were gonna be spending a lot of time in the future showing the nice police officer where on the doll the bad SEC hurt us.

Comment

I never said I was against the rebuild,retool, redo, redone, I just was calling what I believe it to be

Comment

The title of the thread should be changed to:

Bedwetters of Sooner Nation Unite!

Comment

Originally posted by MuleshoeSooner View Post
                      The title of the thread should be changed to:

Bedwetters of Sooner Nation Unite!
                      why

Comment

"...the wind comes right behind the rain." That's where we're at, and I'm pumped for the next season in OU lore. Benny, Bud, Barry, Bob, and BRENT! Time for the wind to blow out the chaff.

Comment

My god. This thread is embarrassing. I think LR has made some of the fans as weak as some of the players.

I love Stoops as much as the next fan and am grateful for his continued influence and support. However he coached a few really bad losses and a few subpar seasons. I remember heading into Stoops first year wondering if this unknown first time HC was capable of turning this disaster around. We actually played some great games and for the first time in years put away the bad teams fought the good teams in close games. A lot to be hopeful for. The 2000 season though was magical. We improved throughout the year and went into game after game against ranked opponents as underdogs only to beat them. The FSU game every talking head in the sport assured us of that outcome and it was only a question of how many TDs FSU was going to beat us by. They had all the talent of an NFL team and we had overachieved with subpar players. That game was probably the greatest OU game I can recall watching. The guys went into that with fire inside, played 4 qtrs of lights out football and shocked everyone.

We have had flashes of that since then but not anything sustained. The biggest knock on Stoops his inability to get the players ready for big games. Especially games after a few weeks off. We lost some games we should have won if the players hadn't played like they were going through the motions. Including a couple NCs that we more or less beat ourselves.

We are no where near that 99 season. That was a rebuild. I think with the portal it is going to be easier than ever bring in good players and fill holes.

In the end though, the most important factor is our coaching staffs ability to develop players and get them physically and mentally ready to play. I think its obvious to all now that LR was never going to be that coach. BV is by all accounts capable of it, but even if it turns out to not be the case, we are still gonna reverse the trajectory LR had us on and improve.

So fuck off with all the despair and doomer bs. I fully expect a season where we put away the bad teams and play good against the good teams. Since we are still in the Big 12 that means we will probably only play 2 or 3 decent teams all year so I don't see how its possible to drop many games. What I am most interested in seeing is improvement over the year and some player development and some fight returning to this team. If I see that then its a good year regardless of our record.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbees View Post
                            My god. This thread is embarrassing. I think LR has made some of the fans as weak as some of the players.

I love Stoops as much as the next fan and am grateful for his continued influence and support. However he coached a few really bad losses and a few subpar seasons. I remember heading into Stoops first year wondering if this unknown first time HC was capable of turning this disaster around. We actually played some great games and for the first time in years put away the bad teams fought the good teams in close games. A lot to be hopeful for. The 2000 season though was magical. We improved throughout the year and went into game after game against ranked opponents as underdogs only to beat them. The FSU game every talking head in the sport assured us of that outcome and it was only a question of how many TDs FSU was going to beat us by. They had all the talent of an NFL team and we had overachieved with subpar players. That game was probably the greatest OU game I can recall watching. The guys went into that with fire inside, played 4 qtrs of lights out football and shocked everyone.

We have had flashes of that since then but not anything sustained. The biggest knock on Stoops his inability to get the players ready for big games. Especially games after a few weeks off. We lost some games we should have won if the players hadn't played like they were going through the motions. Including a couple NCs that we more or less beat ourselves.

We are no where near that 99 season. That was a rebuild. I think with the portal it is going to be easier than ever bring in good players and fill holes.

In the end though, the most important factor is our coaching staffs ability to develop players and get them physically and mentally ready to play. I think its obvious to all now that LR was never going to be that coach. BV is by all accounts capable of it, but even if it turns out to not be the case, we are still gonna reverse the trajectory LR had us on and improve.

So fuck off with all the despair and doomer bs. I fully expect a season where we put away the bad teams and play good against the good teams. Since we are still in the Big 12 that means we will probably only play 2 or 3 decent teams all year so I don't see how its possible to drop many games. What I am most interested in seeing is improvement over the year and some player development and some fight returning to this team. If I see that then its a good year regardless of our record.
                            Yeah, that's what I said only with a lot less words.

I don't see "dark times" ahead. I see sunshine, with a few clouds here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

Yeah, that's what I said only with a lot less words.

I don't see "dark times" ahead. I see sunshine, with a few clouds here and there.
                              I hope you are right but..

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

huh?...
                                The CUCKS have no idea what you’re talking about. Lol

Comment

I believe BV will bring a skill set that emphasizes player evaluation and development as opposed to outright star chasing.

Comment

I hope you are right but..

Comment

Originally posted by No19Sooner View Post

The CUCKS have no idea what you’re talking about. Lol

It seems you and 8isgay are brothers? Lovers? That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ern View Post

BC we lost a lb recruit n a d-line recruit? Step off the ledge.
                                        He's not only a troll, but a boring troll. Only morons waste their time responding or even reading his comments at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
                                          The smaller the 2022 class just means the more players we can sign from the portal. Hopefully we can get players that fit into the new system and can make an impact today while we start piecing together the 2023 class.

It doesn’t take much at all to be competitive in the Big 12.
                                          I don’t think many people realize what the portal is. It’s mostly QB and WR and RBs that are transferring for a reason. It’s not how you build a team. How many DL and OL do you think are in the transfer portal? The answer is not very many and the ones that are usually are there for a reason. Those positions are very hard to build depth at and the quality ones don’t end up in the portal very often.

Comment

has Brent in any of his interviews or speeches the last couple of days said how he feels about the portal? I read the Clemson board a lot last week and saw comments about being upset with Dabo for not using the portal, I wonder if that has rubbed off on BV or if he sees the need to use it?

Comment

On defense…Redmond, Downs, Gilliam, Grimes, Clayton Smith, Stripling, Coe, J Kelley, NRK on the D line. Stutsman, Asamoah, Ugwebou, Whitter, at Linebacker. Woodi, Bowman, McCutchin, Graham, Lawrence, B Washington, Eaton, Cridell, Mukes in the secondary. Probably forgetting a few and this does not include any newcomers. FAR from a rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
                                                The smaller the 2022 class just means the more players we can sign from the portal. Hopefully we can get players that fit into the new system and can make an impact today while we start piecing together the 2023 class.

It doesn’t take much at all to be competitive in the Big 12.
                                                I've been saying this for years and getting pure hate on here for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Badenoff View Post

Riley
                                                  Wylie
                                                  Grinch
                                                  Manning
                                                  Cain

For starters.

I do not expect a NC next year. I did not say that; you said that.

I expect to see a good solid well-conditioned football team next year that can 1) Beat UT 2) Beat OSU and Baylor 3) Be competitive for the conference championship.

I expect to see a better product on the field next year than what we saw this year against Tulane, KU, Baylor, and OSU and others. We've got a new head coach as of about this time yesterday.

Right now the offense is in better hands with Cale, DeMarco, BB, and JoeJon than it was with... whatshisname, whatever the fuck happened to him.

Right now the entire team is getting better strength and conditioning training just by Coach Stoops telling them "You guys go get in the weight room" than it was getting with Bennie Wylie wasting everyone's time doing crossfit.

Speaking of Coach Stoops, right now the defense is in better hands than it was with Alex Grinch and his gimmicky defense, that the whole conference had figured out by the end of the season, especially Baylor and OSU.

I'm encouraged to see a real, professional football coach in the boss chair for a change. As he himself said yesterday, the thing he learned from Coach Stoops was confidence and aggressive football.

"He's got eleven and I've got eleven. Let's line 'em up and go play."

- Bob Stoops

But you keep on negging the way you do if it makes you feel better.

Comment

I would be ok with 3 or maybe even 4 loses as long as they play with passion and a desire to inflict pain on opposing offenses. And at the end of next season I we be ecstatic if it is obvious that BV has his teams culture back to what OU football should be.

Comment

what they are you speaking of..The OU team? if so not a chance...maybe few years down the road but not next year
                                                      Why not?

What are the big losses to this team? As of now, maybe a starting QB, maybe not. A couple of receivers? A couple of D players that are heading to the pros -- like happens every year? Some recruiting class defections that wouldn't play next year anyway?

On the other side, new talent likely coming in. And by all accounts some much needed toughness?

Why assume next year is f'd?

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

No. You've been getting pure hate because you're a fucking bammer fan posing as a Sooner on a Sooner board.

Comment

Originally posted by Midtowner View Post

Why not?

What are the big losses to this team? As of now, maybe a starting QB, maybe not. A couple of receivers? A couple of D players that are heading to the pros -- like happens every year? Some recruiting class defections that wouldn't play next year anyway?

On the other side, new talent likely coming in. And by all accounts some much needed toughness?

Why assume next year is f'd?
                                                          OP be like:

Comment

OP be like:

So maybe once in the SEC we may have to

Comment

Originally posted by soonerBAS View Post
                                                              has Brent in any of his interviews or speeches the last couple of days said how he feels about the portal? I read the Clemson board a lot last week and saw comments about being upset with Dabo for not using the portal, I wonder if that has rubbed off on BV or if he sees the need to use it?
                                                              This was the question I was waiting for the media to ask and they avoided it like the plague. It is very well known Dabo refused to use the portal and even said publicly if players get paid he would step away from coaching college

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Robot_ulism View Post

This country is in debt $30T, they keep throwing money around.
                                                                OU can't print money and make backdoor deals to increase the debt limit... OU's credit rating has taken several hits lately including this year. This does matter, I am not saying it's the end of the world, but it is concerning and the timing is not great.

Comment

OP be like:

I always tell my7 year old, we don’t do what’s comfortable, we do what’s right. Didnt know it’s almost a quote from Harry Potter.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDSooner View Post
                                                                    Honestly I am more worried about the financial situation of this University being $1B in debt, far outdistancing the next highest major program. We seem cash strapped, have a high debt ratio and have relied much more on actual tuition income than is preferable, which in this situation is not a good position to be in, especially when you are going into the SEC where the cash is flying around.
                                                                    Originally posted by DoDSooner View Post

OU can't print money and make backdoor deals to increase the debt limit... OU's credit rating has taken several hits lately including this year. This does matter, I am not saying it's the end of the world, but it is concerning and the timing is not great.
                                                                    OU will be paying down its debt for many years as you indicated. You are correct... "this situation is not a good position to be in"

Borrowing a significance amount of new money would cause OU's debt rating to be cut.
                                                                    Without huge new donations OU will be operating at a financial disadvantage in the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

Because it's hyperbolic BS. The Big 12 is in the middle of the Power 5 and above all the rest. B12 had the #1 SOS. You try to make it seem like the B12 is just a gussied up Mountain West. Your negative takes compared to reality is a low grade troll job.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                      X
                                                                      UA-124223861-1