Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake QB Slide

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/12/pit...outlaw-illegal

Pitt's QB did a fake slidey slide and was able to run for a TD when the defenders pulled up as he appeared to be giving himself up..

I know there's no rule against this and so he used a loophole to his advantage but when the slide rule was put into place to keep QBs safe, it seems unwise to abuse said rule.

Again, the slide rule is a safety rule like facemasking as opposed to an anti-cheating rule like false start or pass interference. It seems dumb to complain about QB safety and then have the QB abuse a rule that was put into place to keep him safe.

hadn't seen that play yet. Pretty impressive. As the article suggests though, that loophole will certainly be closed this off-season.

Comment

I started a previous thread about it and there was some discussion.

https://www.dirtburglars.com/forum/s...uld-be-illegal

Comment

There is a rule. The runner is down at the point he begins his slide. The refs screwed the pooch by not enforcing it.

Comment

Its already closed:
          From Dean Blandino who's day job is the NCAA Football Instant Replay Director....

“ We will definitely discuss in more detail this off-season with the rules committee. In the meantime the directive to the on-field officials for postseason games will be to kill the play in a situation like this"

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
            Its already closed:
            From Dean Blandino who's day job is the NCAA Football Instant Replay Director....

“ We will definitely discuss in more detail this off-season with the rules committee. In the meantime the directive to the on-field officials for postseason games will be to kill the play in a situation like this"
            This is the right move: the officials should have blown the played dead in game.

Comment

Good for him. Great move. Just like the fake spike. So is pretending to go out of bounds mean too?

Comment

I loved it. It was physically tough to pull that off. Kudos to the dude.

Eisen made a good point yesterday that you can’t regulate or ref that because when is a slide imitated? Dude slowed down and was dragging a foot. That’s not a slide and it’s level of slide initiation is questionable. I think Eisen is right, though- you gotta tell your defense to go hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by LT-OU View Post
                  I loved it. It was physically tough to pull that off. Kudos to the dude.

Eisen made a good point yesterday that you can’t regulate or ref that because when is a slide imitated? Dude slowed down and was dragging a foot. That’s not a slide and it’s level of slide initiation is questionable. I think Eisen is right, though- you gotta tell your defense to go hunting.
                  Eisen is a dumbass. It's pretty easy since he's a friggin QB. Don't wanna be whistled down, don't simulate a slide. ANYONE WITH A BRAIN can pick it out. I assume it will be reviewable. Anyone defending that play is a clown.

Comment

Anytime there is a new rule, there will be loopholes. If the loophole is exploited and is not deemed to be in the spirit of the original rule, the rules committee will add verbiage to close the loophole. I'm actually pretty impressed that refs have been instructed to call it differently for this post season before a change has been officially codified. Members of the rule committee must have signaled it will change.

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                      Good for him. Great move. Just like the fake spike. So is pretending to go out of bounds mean too?
                      Next the "fake pump" passing motion will be illegal. Balk - 15 yd penalty, 2 free throws, other team gets the ball.

Comment

If one of the defenders had blasted him instead of pulling up, they would've been flagged for a personal foul. He should've been ruled down.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
                          If one of the defenders had blasted him instead of pulling up, they would've been flagged for a personal foul. He should've been ruled down.
                          They know...but just like to play dumb (maybe playing).

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

They know...but just like to play dumb (maybe playing).
                            Or argue for the sake of argument since the NCAA has already said the play will be blown dead from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post

Pitt's QB did a fake slidey slide and was able to run for a TD when the defenders pulled up as he appeared to be giving himself up..

I know there's no rule against this and so he used a loophole to his advantage but when the slide rule was put into place to keep QBs safe, it seems unwise to abuse said rule.

Again, the slide rule is a safety rule like facemasking as opposed to an anti-cheating rule like false start or pass interference. It seems dumb to complain about QB safety and then have the QB abuse a rule that was put into place to keep him safe.
                              Because the prior 6 page thread on this same topic wasn’t good enough for your thoughts….in before merge.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
                                And he’d think about doing it again. Action. Reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

Next the "fake pump" passing motion will be illegal. Balk - 15 yd penalty, 2 free throws, other team gets the ball.
                                  There was one time in football where the incomplete pass was a penalty.

Comment

No more reverses and misdirection plays. Fake punts? None of that mean stuff. From now on you must provide the plays you are going to run.

Comment

Exactly the slippery slope we’re taking about. Player let up falling for the pump fake all the time….should become illegal too I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post

There was one time in football where the incomplete pass was a penalty.
                                        Technically it’s still a penalty…..loss of down at the line of scrimmage. It just doesn’t go by then name penalty….

Comment

Let me know when either of the last two posts scenarios are SPECIFIC player protection rules that result in a personal foul if said player really even touched. Trying to figure out if you just like to argue or ARE dumb.

Comment

No tackling or touching the offensive players. Only standing in front of them is allowed.

Comment

Let me know when either of the last two posts scenarios are SPECIFIC player protection rules that result in a personal foul if said player really even touched. Trying to figure out if you just like to argue or ARE dumb.
                                              Could be both.

Comment

Looked kinda like a Euro step. Wonder how long before a ref calls an overzealous juke as an attempted slide.

Comment

Patrick’s TD run in the title game included a shoulder shimmy that made it look like he was pulling up. I’m surprised the Nancys here aren’t still cleaning their asses off over that.

Comment

Patrick’s TD run in the title game included a shoulder shimmy that made it look like he was pulling up. I’m surprised the Nancys here aren’t still cleaning their asses off over that.
                                                    So dumb then? This wasn't a shoulder shimmy. Dude faked a slide and even admitted it. The Nancy's are the QBs that need a slide rule. Only disappointment to me is, the Wake coach didn't have a dude smoke him after a pass later on. I'd have crushed that bastard. He'd think about using a rule designed to over protect him next time. I'd probably target a knee just to make sure future pussies get the memo.

Comment

Pretty easy fix to this issue.

If a QB wants to give himself up, rather than slide, he can wave his arm, just like someone does when calling for a fair catch on a punt.
                                                      He's ruled down at the point he waves his arm.
                                                      If he doesn't wave and keeps running, then he's fair game for a big hit.

Boomer.

Comment

Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post
                                                        I started a previous thread about it and there was some discussion.

https://www.dirtburglars.com/forum/s...uld-be-illegal
                                                        My bad. I didn't even think about looking to see if already posted.

Mods (if those even exist anymore) feel free to merge.

Comment

So dumb then? This wasn't a shoulder shimmy. Dude faked a slide and even admitted it. The Nancy's are the QBs that need a slide rule. Only disappointment to me is, the Wake coach didn't have a dude smoke him after a pass later on. I'd have crushed that bastard. He'd think about using a rule designed to over protect him next time. I'd probably target a knee just to make sure future pussies get the memo.
                                                          Ten pages from now I’ll be enjoying a smoke and a beer and you’ll still be here, wrong and pissing yourself b. Cheers.

Comment

Ten pages from now I’ll be enjoying a smoke and a beer and you’ll still be here, wrong and pissing yourself b. Cheers.
                                                            I couldn't care any less about this other than to laugh at y'alls band perspective on sports...don't smoke and beer bloats the shit outta me...wine on the other hand...

Comment

Puh-lease!!!! I feel a”when is a fumble not a fumble; when it’s a handoff” argument rising.

Comment

They're going to start looking at the intent of body language, that's going to also end badly. I could see a dead leg cut being seen as intent to slide.

Comment

Originally posted by LASooner View Post
                                                                  They're going to start looking at the intent of body language, that's going to also end badly. I could see a dead leg cut being seen as intent to slide.
                                                                  That's my only real issue with all this...if not for them trying to legislate safety in a violent game, this wouldn't be an issue. If you're running with a ball, I get to hit you. Don't wanna get hit? Get down earlier than you want. That's the only option you have. Same with a horse collar, targeting, etc. It's hard to enforce these sorts of rules as folks are always moving...they move way faster than the folks making rules can or ever did.

BTW, they already do that with "horns down", no?

Comment

Speaking to equating this to a pump fake or a misdirection play or a fake spike; none of those are rules directed at player safety.

This situation more closely correlates to calling for a fair catch and then advancing the ball. You can't fair catch and then run for a TD.

In fact, there was a situation a few seasons back where North Texas didn't call for a fair catch on a punt but the returner acted as if he had by not moving after receiving the kick. Once the punt team began walking off the field he sprinted for a TD. Very clever and allowed by the rules at the time. They quickly changed the rule on that to where if you didn't call for a fair catch and also didn't immediately advance the ball, then it's ruled you were giving yourself up and the ball was dead where it was received. The rules committee saw right away that this could be a serious safety issue if other teams tried the same play.

Comment

Speaking to equating this to a pump fake or a misdirection play or a fake spike; none of those are rules directed at player safety.

This situation more closely correlates to calling for a fair catch and then advancing the ball. You can't fair catch and then run for a TD.

In fact, there was a situation a few seasons back where North Texas didn't call for a fair catch on a punt but the returner acted as if he had by not moving after receiving the kick. Once the punt team began walking off the field he sprinted for a TD. Very clever and allowed by the rules at the time. They quickly changed the rule on that to where if you didn't call for a fair catch and also didn't immediately advance the ball, then it's ruled you were giving yourself up and the ball was dead where it was received. The rules committee saw right away that this could be a serious safety issue if other teams tried the same play.
                                                                      A running back making a cut can effect safety. That should not be illegal.

Comment

Tackling can effect a players safety. It should be illegal anyway.

Point is football is never going to be a completely safe game. That's why so few people can participate at a decent level.

Comment

Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post

A running back making a cut can effect safety. That should not be illegal.
                                                                          There is no rule saying that if an rb makes a cut, you can't hit him. There is a rule that says if a qb starts a slide then you can't hit him. The qb in question even said he did this on purpose and used it to his advantage.

If one of the DBs had hit him during his fake slide then they would've been penalized for it. No question. So to fake an action that says no defender can touch you is an unfair advantage in a game that already favors the offense in rules.

However, someone up thread already pointed out that the refs missed the call. The rule is that the play is dead when the qb begins a slide. How many times have we heard announcers say that the ball is dead where the slide begins, not where he ends up? It should've been a dead ball where he began the slide whether he finished it or not.

Comment

Doesn't sliding protections apply to any player?

Comment

#39
                                                                              No tackling or touching the offensive players. Only standing in front of them is allowed.
                                                                              Hell, our D’s been doing that for 5 years now…

Comment

#40
                                                                                I doubt it. This would be rare regardless and with new clarification, almost non-existant. Coaches and QBs don't want to lose the protection of this rule.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  That needs to be outlawed?

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Doesn't sliding protections apply to any player?
                                                                                    It applies to any ball carrier, not just the player that took the snap. Any player. not just the QB, is also deemed defenseless at that point, so the targeting rules apply for hits to the head or neck area.

I can't recall the last time I saw a player other than a QB slide.

Comment

#43

Precisely.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post

It applies to any ball carrier, not just the player that took the snap. Any player. not just the QB, is also deemed defenseless at that point, so the targeting rules apply for hits to the head or neck area.

I can't recall the last time I saw a player other than a QB slide.
                                                                                        It may apply to any ball carrier but running backs and receivers aren't going to give themselves up in the field of play - unless they are related to or have been infected by Lincoln Riley. It was especially designed and implemented for the safety of QB's.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          If we just get rid if the slide rule and say that if you're a ball carrier in the field of play then you're fair game, that'll solve that problem right there.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            If we just get rid if the slide rule and say that if you're a ball carrier in the field of play then you're fair game, that'll solve that problem right there.
                                                                                            That’s the solution…

Comment

#47
                                                                                              That guy had ballet lessons when he was little.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                That actually makes the most sense. If QB's want to run, then they have to learn how not to get hit. That is as simple as going down 2 yards sooner than they would have liked. Why should QB's be allowed an extra 2 yards?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Football needs another rule

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by OUspark View Post
                                                                                                    Football needs another rule

Actually, if the refs would've just called the play and applied the rule correctly, this wouldn't be an issue .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1