First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post

This is a very fair criticism if that is what he is doing, but I haven't even seen that rumor even on this jaded website, because that's my biggest beef with Riley leaving who seems to be going out of his way to hurt OU.

Obviously Mario Williams went to USC but he was another guy who came to OU for Lincoln Riley
    To be clear, I'm not referring to Mario Williams. He's made it plain for a while now that he means to follow Caleb wherever he goes, which makes it at least plausible that he's calling his own shots (which, again, is fine). I'm referring to rumors I've heard/read that Caleb has reached out to OU players who aren't in the portal at the moment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thWave View Post
      Aside from Mario, who did CW actively recruit to OU? Fariquaryette? I really don't know.
      Edit: nm, I misread your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Morningwood View Post

I wonder if that’s true. Al hasn’t had an in with OU for a very long time
        It was posted here, so it has to be true.
        Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

To be clear, I'm not referring to Mario Williams. He's made it plain for a while now that he means to follow Caleb wherever he goes, which makes it at least plausible that he's calling his own shots (which, again, is fine). I'm referring to rumors I've heard/read that Caleb has reached out to OU players who aren't in the portal at the moment as well.
          I knew that's what you were getting at, I just threw in the Mario Williams bit to get ahead of someone who would use it as a counter.

We're on the same wavelength that if Caleb was leaving and trying to raid OU's roster it would be a really weak move

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

I think most people here are damn certain he's going to USC and all this waiting is just smoke and mirrors. If he doesn't go, then Lincoln REALLY done fucked up.
            I am, but I'm also hoping I'm wrong, because man, would it be glorious to see TBOW crash and burn that hard before even coaching a game for the Condoms!

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post

It’s like the people “in the know” taking about Riley leaving because there was something going on with him and Annie Hanson messing around so he had to leave to save the marriage and to avoid legal trouble….and then she went to USC, along with her husband.

Fans start rumors, then run with the rumors, then make judgments about the players and their families based on the rumors about the rumors that are completely untrue.
              If it was started by a fan, at least we can scratch you off the list of suspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                He's here today visiting with BV and Lebby, or so Al Eschback allegedly said.
                Al Eschback asked, "Welcome to Norman, Caleb....Any injuries?

Comment

Be funny if the NCAA hammered a player (not wishing ill on CW, but if he's recruiting for SC, that HAS to be a problem) for "insider recruiting". In fact, I'd venture to guess this whole mess will cause there to be some rules to prevent this sort of thing. Similar to the Manning situation where he was recruiting for SC while on the road with our coaches, I'd think that needs to be addressed. Honestly, just making a player sit for a year if the transfer to a school where a departing coach moved to would eliminate a lot of this mess.

Comment

Honestly if the NCAA had any teeth at all, USC would be in a world of hurt for a number of miscreant activities. But…they don’t so they won’t.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thWave View Post
                      Aside from Mario, who did CW actively recruit to OU? Fariquaryette? I really don't know.
                      He invited every recruit the staff was trying to get. He invited all the players who had committed. The idea was to come to Norman, get together will the new freshman players and freshman uncommitted recruits and have a good weekend bonding with each other. I don't know who all attended but Hazelwood, Wease, McGowan, the running back McClellan maybe who flipped to Bama on signing day, Stogner, Raym, most all of them who became Sooners and more who ended up joining other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post

He invited every recruit the staff was trying to get. He invited all the players who had committed. The idea was to come to Norman, get together will the new freshman players and freshman uncommitted recruits and have a good weekend bonding with each other. I don't know who all attended but Hazelwood, Wease, McGowan, the running back McClellan maybe who flipped to Bama on signing day, Stogner, Raym, most all of them who became Sooners and more who ended up joining other teams.
                        It was done during dead week if I recall.

Revolutionary stuff at the time

Comment

Those guys were with Rattler's class, no?

CW got Farooq, MW, some OL, etc

Comment

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklaho...dly-180974297/

Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams sets timetable for transfer decision, reportedly

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 40 minutes ago

Former Oklahoma quarterback Caleb Williams, the top-ranked player in the NCAA Transfer Portal, is weighing his options ahead of the 2022 season and the timetable for his decision is fluid, according to an update Wednesday from ESPN's Pete Thamel. Williams took over the starting quarterback role for former Oklahoma quarterback Spencer Rattler in October last season and finished with 21 touchdown passes over eight games.

"This is a nebulous, the Williams’ first (recruiting) process when Caleb was in high school took a year and a half,” Thamel said. “Carl (Williams) said we’ve got to do it now in two weeks. So, it could be as soon as the end of this week, but there’s also schools on the quarter system where they could wait until March. They want to see how NFL hires that could trickle down to college shake out, because they really want NFL training for Caleb Williams to best prepare him for pro football.”

Williams starred as a true freshman for then-Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley this past fall, throwing for 1,912 yards. Williams was responsible for three touchdowns during Oklahoma's bowl win over Oregon. Shortly after Williams’ explained his decision on social media, former UCF quarterback Dillon Gabriel, who was committed to Chip Kelly and UCLA, said he was transferring to Oklahoma.

Williams officially entered the portal Jan. 5, and at the time, Oklahoma's coaching staff said they would not cancel Williams' scholarship, according to 247Sports' Chris Hummer. The NCAA introduced the transfer portal on Oct. 15, 2018, providing athletes a path to explore their options. Players do not need to ask permission from their coaching staff in order to transfer. They merely need to request that compliance enter their name.

Williams is being courted by Riley to USC and there are other major programs in the mix for his services.

I think Caleb is the big fish in this market and it’s really indicative of how college football is changing,” Thamel said. “The players have more power and Caleb, going around the country seeking different schools and waiting to see what’s available, is a really important pivot point in the future of college football. So far, he’s visited USC and UCLA, but has been on Zooms with at least a dozen other schools.

"The family is weighing their options and Carl Williams, his dad, told me last night, ‘NFL, not NIL’ is the guiding light of what the family is doing. They want to go to the place that best prepares him for the NFL and best prepares him to be the No. 1 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.”

Williams will be on the preseason Heisman shortlist no matter where he signs given the star power he achieved as a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post

Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams sets timetable for transfer decision, reportedly

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 40 minutes ago

Former Oklahoma quarterback Caleb Williams, the top-ranked player in the NCAA Transfer Portal, is weighing his options ahead of the 2022 season and the timetable for his decision is fluid, according to an update Wednesday from ESPN's Pete Thamel. Williams took over the starting quarterback role for former Oklahoma quarterback Spencer Rattler in October last season and finished with 21 touchdown passes over eight games.

"This is a nebulous, the Williams’ first (recruiting) process when Caleb was in high school took a year and a half,” Thamel said. “Carl (Williams) said we’ve got to do it now in two weeks. So, it could be as soon as the end of this week, but there’s also schools on the quarter system where they could wait until March. They want to see how NFL hires that could trickle down to college shake out, because they really want NFL training for Caleb Williams to best prepare him for pro football.”

Williams starred as a true freshman for then-Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley this past fall, throwing for 1,912 yards. Williams was responsible for three touchdowns during Oklahoma's bowl win over Oregon. Shortly after Williams’ explained his decision on social media, former UCF quarterback Dillon Gabriel, who was committed to Chip Kelly and UCLA, said he was transferring to Oklahoma.

Williams officially entered the portal Jan. 5, and at the time, Oklahoma's coaching staff said they would not cancel Williams' scholarship, according to 247Sports' Chris Hummer. The NCAA introduced the transfer portal on Oct. 15, 2018, providing athletes a path to explore their options. Players do not need to ask permission from their coaching staff in order to transfer. They merely need to request that compliance enter their name.

Williams is being courted by Riley to USC and there are other major programs in the mix for his services.

I think Caleb is the big fish in this market and it’s really indicative of how college football is changing,” Thamel said. “The players have more power and Caleb, going around the country seeking different schools and waiting to see what’s available, is a really important pivot point in the future of college football. So far, he’s visited USC and UCLA, but has been on Zooms with at least a dozen other schools.

"The family is weighing their options and Carl Williams, his dad, told me last night, ‘NFL, not NIL’ is the guiding light of what the family is doing. They want to go to the place that best prepares him for the NFL and best prepares him to be the No. 1 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.”

Williams will be on the preseason Heisman shortlist no matter where he signs given the star power he achieved as a freshman.
                              So anywhere from a week to March? That's just ridiculous. I'd say good luck and move on.

Comment

"This is a nebulous, the Williams’ first (recruiting) process when Caleb was in high school took a year and a half,” Thamel said. “Carl (Williams) said we’ve got to do it now in two weeks..."

So the Williams' are dipshits that forgot the fucking process that took a year and a half, and are not able to boil it down to a shorter process from what you "learned" the first go around?

Comment

the event was called "Sooner Summit

depending on which stories you read anywhere from 12 to 20 attended, names i've seen are:
                                  camar wheaton
                                  tristan leigh
                                  savyon byrd
                                  cullen montgomery
                                  cody jackson
                                  jahill farooq
                                  ethan downs
                                  clayton smith
                                  kyree jackson
                                  jordan mukes
                                  danny stutsman

Comment

I mean, the dude will be the #1 draft pick even if he played for SW Missouri State. I'm not sold this take is truthful.

Comment

I"m about done with CW. He can drag this out all he wants.... I hope Venables says "thanks for all you have done, but we have decided to move on"

Comment

‘NFL training’…number one pick, eh?

Well then, go somewhere to get the crap beat outta ya cuz the O line sucks.

Comment

Is Caleb’s dad related to LaVar Ball? This is getting comical.

Comment

Pulled this off the usuc page

JOIN TODAYOklahoma QB Caleb Williams sets timetable for transfer decision, reportedly

ByBRAD CRAWFORD 70 minutes ago
                                            Share8 CommentsPlease turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

Mock Draft: Three QB Taken In First 11 Picks

“I think Caleb is the big fish in this market and it’s really indicative of how college football is changing,” Thamel said. “The players have more power and Caleb, going around the country seeking different schools and waiting to see what’s available, is a really important pivot point in the future of college football. So far, he’s visited USC and UCLA, but has been on Zooms with at least a dozen other schools.

8COMMENTS
                                            Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Comment

I disagree that Williams will be on the Heisman shortlist no matter where he signs. If he’s running for his life having to chuck balls out of bounds multiple times per possession to avoid sacks, he’s not going to NY, much less winning it. Didn’t even need to enter portal for him to see that is what’s in store for him at USC.

Comment

Originally posted by WISooner View Post
                                                I"m about done with CW. He can drag this out all he wants.... I hope Venables says "thanks for all you have done, but we have decided to move on"
                                                Their actions have. But, if by some weird chance, he decides to stay at OU, they won't turn him away.

Comment

I’m totally on board with the idea of ‘dream big’ but it seems there’s a whole lotta presumption going on about No 1 pick etc. If one were to believe the hype this past year, Spencer was a presumptive number one pick also…if one believed the hype.

There are many mountains to climb between here and an NFL draft. It’s not a good signal when the ‘sign’ one is wearing when one walks onto campus and locker room x, y or z the first time is ‘…I’m just here to get to the NFL…’ That’s asking for ‘team’ problems, in a game where team dynamics remain important (vital) for individual success.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Their actions have. But, if by some weird chance, he decides to stay at OU, they won't turn him away.
                                                    And if that happened the available selection of whiney, sour grapes posts to necro-bump would be a vast fertile field. I'm not sure I could resist.

Comment

Originally posted by BobStoopsReal View Post
                                                      Is Caleb’s dad related to LaVar Ball? This is getting comical.
                                                      He reminds me of Cush's dad in Jerry Maguire.

Comment

So does this mean Mario Williams potentially got duped by CW?

Comment

Riddle me this DBurglars —

How many NFL first round qb picks have played for college teams with losing records?

Comment

Peace out dude....time to move on from individuals. We are building a TEAM here

Comment

This is starting to feel like, "I'm taking my talents to Long Beach," complete with all the stupid hype and build-up.

Comment

Apparently Dart is currently on an official to BYU

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Robot_ulism View Post
                                                                  this is the williams portal circus thread....

Comment

Comment

So, Caleb has two years to show his stuff to the NFL. It will be a pretty big bet to sign on to be ‘the guy’ on a 4-8 turnaround project. I’m not convinced he and his father are ready to do that.

Given the altered circumstances we’ve seen over the last two weeks, I’m also not convinced that OU wouldn’t rather have Dart to go along with Gabriel and Evers in the qb room.

Comment

Hmm, well Draper is very close to Provo so hopefully it’s just a courtesy visit

Comment

Originally posted by vmg View Post

How many NFL first round qb picks have played for college teams with losing records?
                                                                          1 that was close recently with a 7-6 record. Jordan Love was #26 draft choice by the Packers in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by UCO4Sooners View Post

1 that was close recently with a 7-6 record. Jordan Love was #26 draft choice by the Packers in 2020.
                                                                            Honestly though...I don't expect SC to have a losing record next year. I'd bet they are 8-4ish if I had to pick now.

Comment

Originally posted by Highfligher View Post
                                                                              I disagree that Williams will be on the Heisman shortlist no matter where he signs. If he’s running for his life having to chuck balls out of bounds multiple times per possession to avoid sacks, he’s not going to NY, much less winning it. Didn’t even need to enter portal for him to see that is what’s in store for him at USC.
                                                                              If ESPN hypes him up he'll be on the list. ESPN's influence on the Heisman is enormous.

Comment

Originally posted by vmg View Post

In the past five drafts? Two out of 20, so not a great long term strategy.

A really interesting tidbit those two are the two extremes in terms of pro success in those five classes. One was Patrick Mahomes and the other was Josh Rosen

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post

That's a bullshit line. it is about NIL.

The best place to help him to prepare for the NFL is just about any top 25 program. If a player is worthy of being a first-round pick, the NFL will find them. Also, no player is guaranteed of being a number one pick in any draft. It depends on the team's needs picking at number one.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonirvana View Post

Yeppers... there's no guarantee that the # 1 pick in the draft will even be from a team that wants a QB. The arrogance is amazing!

Comment

I'll be pissed if OU loses out on Dart because the coaches were holding out for Caleb's return.

Comment

BYU was 7-6 x2 w Zach Wilson til the11-1 breakout year in 2020. Am sure there are others…

Point I make is that one stands a better chance of individual success when one is a member of a successful team/program. Seems that a choice to attend USC (or others) at this point is ‘betting on the come.’ It’s one thing to walk away when one is riding the pine, but to walk away from a starting position in a prominent program of long-standing success — with excellent prospects for more of the same — does not pass the giggle test. Where ya gonna go with better prospects? Alabama? Georgia? tOSU? Nope. Maybe TAMU or LSU. Notre Dame? Nope. And now ya got a few days to decide.

Comment

The best place to help him to prepare for the NFL is just about any top 25 program. If a player is worthy of being a first-round pick, the NFL will find them. Also, no player is guaranteed of being a number one pick in any draft. It depends on the team's needs picking at number one.
                                                                                          ^^^This, 100%^^^
                                                                                          What college coach is going to make his top priority preparing his players or a player for the NFL? His job is to win college games. Also, OU shot themselves in the foot when they told Caleb and his dad they’d hold his scholarship for him. That’s the reason Dart won’t commit. Caleb is holding OU prisoner. He obviously wants to transfer. OU needs to give him an ultimatum via a firm date his scholarship will no longer be available and that date needs to be NOW.

Comment

If ESPN hypes him up he'll be on the list. ESPN's influence on the Heisman is enormous.
                                                                                            They couldn't hype Rattler onto the list for very long and they certainly tried. It has to show on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post

I'll be pissed if OU loses out on Dart because the coaches were holding out for Caleb's return.
                                                                                              Relax, you would never know if that is what happened. I guess you could be speculatively pissed if being pissed was the goal.

Comment

To be fair Spencer is also doing the same, he was asked about it in one of his first interviews when he committed to South Carolina He claimed he was helping recruit former guys to SC via the portal

I had planned on following his career under Beamer but once i heard him say that i could careless if he ever finishes another college game.
                                                                                                If he holds a grudge it should be with Riley not the University
                                                                                                Last edited by BoomerAnon; 01-19-2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Of course it's about NIL..but he can't say that. When you dated, you acted like you cared what her interests/hopes/dreams were, you didn't tell her it was all about bumping uglies. He's playing the PR game like everyone else does.

As CWs dad, it should be about the NIL. 1 knee or shoulder injury and he could lose tens of millions in future compensation. Take a few million now, invest wisely, and the kid/family is set for life.

Carl is doing exactly what every parent, in CWs position, should be doing. If he had left Texas, this board would love it and see the wisdom in it. Too many in here wearing coke bottle crimson glasses and/or butthurt.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasSucks View Post
                                                                                                    Too many in here wearing coke bottle crimson glasses and/or butthurt.
                                                                                                    It's become pretty clear you don't ever view anything from OU's perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

It's become pretty clear you don't ever view anything from OU's perspective.
                                                                                                      He says some pretty dumb things just to be indifferent.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1