First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hermit View Post

I would bet that Jeff Lebby agrees with you .
    Being that he already had those guys and still wanted Dart, if he's being honest, he probably wanted Dart.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

Once they left for Ole Miss after the visit in Norman, I felt like we were in trouble. Our only hope was to convince them to cancel that visit. I can’t blame Dart. A guaranteed starting job at Ole Miss with good surrounding talent and a good head coach is hard to decline.
      His only worry is he needs to have a really good season next year if he plans on holding off the Manning kid ,his next transfer will cost him a year

Comment

Originally posted by TexasSucks View Post

Being that he already had those guys and still wanted Dart, if he's being honest, he probably wanted Dart.
        Just as any good coach would. Depth is a good issue to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindreader101 View Post
          Apparently both their parents and Dart’s HS coach are with them on the Ole Miss trip but not OU? That’s disappointing…
          Talk about cultural shock…..LA to Oxford. Closest airport is 50 miles away in Tupelo at 50 miles. Those kids are in for a rude awakening if they decide on Ole Miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonermeme View Post

Talk about cultural shock…..LA to Oxford. Closest airport is 50 miles away in Tupelo at 50 miles. Those kids are in for a rude awakening if they decide on Ole Miss.
            Oxford is a pretty swank place. Always has been in a southern manner Now it's a bit cosmopolitan because it is considered a really cool place to go to school for rich kids from all over. Small town, but it isn't your typical southern hick town. The town reminds me some of the area of Norman around OU. Just greener. Probably more highbrow than Norman these days. They aren't far from Memphis so that is their go to place.

Comment

Small town is right. There's more students enrolled at OU than people in the whole town of Oxford.

Comment

You miss a 100% of the shots you don't take. If you have a shot, you might as well take it.

Lebby apparently is very different from Riley. Lebby wants numbers, while Riley wanted #1 QB's that didn't actually have to compete with anyone. I think we're past the days where we stop recruiting when we get one highly rated QB.

Comment

OK, let's be honest, Norman isn't exactly bright lights and famous people.

Comment

I think he probably would take any QB he can get.

You wanna argue about it ? My speculation is better than your speculation, I can proove it .

Comment

I think we’ll be ok with just Gabriel and Evers.
                      And Rucker. I would like to see the kid. If OU recruited him he's got to have an arm at least.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

You miss a 100% of the shots you don't take. If you have a shot, you might as well take it.

Lebby apparently is very different from Riley. Lebby wants numbers, while Riley wanted #1 QB's that didn't actually have to compete with anyone. I think we're past the days where we stop recruiting when we get one highly rated QB.
                        lebby may want numbers....but transfer portal players are not going to risk their one free transfer on a place where they are not assured a starting role.....
                        I have no doubt dart would have come to ou if Gabriel hadn't pulled the trigger first....

Comment

OU was once in on Tebow, Stafford and Bradford all from the same class. If all were legitimately interested, I’d bet Stoops would’ve taken at least two of them. That’s what you do. Then you try like hell to sell them on staying and developing. At QB, it’s just always going to be a revolving door. Especially when there’s nothing much stopping peer programs from influencing a QB’s decision to stick around or leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Plano78 View Post

But are Tupelo and OKC equivalent?

Comment

What do you mean? Kyler had to compete with Kendall for the starting job and by all Riley accounts, it was a close battle.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdogs View Post

But are Tupelo and OKC equivalent?
                                Tupelo has honey....and a one gate airport!

Comment

Originally posted by Plano78 View Post

The advantage Norman has to me is that in the heart of Norman... it is very much like Oxford. Feels like a small college town. But it is actually a town of 120K on the edge of a 1.5 million area. You'd never think that if you are standing on the corner of Asp and Boyd and didn't know any better. So you get kind of a hybrid experience as a student.

This probably matters not one iota to football recruit though in 2021. And is why Oxford wouldn't be that big a deal to these two guys. Besides, one is from Utah and one is from Tampa. They aren't SoCal guys.

I WAS hoping that Norman's rather high profile LDS community might appeal to Dart. There aren't a lot of Mormons in Norman but their are some and they've always been fairly high profile in the community. We have an LDS student center right on campus, the church on HWY 9 and Imhoff, and a Temple in Yukon. I don't think they have all of that in Oxford.

Comment

Originally posted by UCO4Sooners View Post

Tupelo has honey....and a one gate airport!
                                    Van Morrison!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                                      I WAS hoping that Norman's rather high profile LDS community might appeal to Dart.
                                      Heh. I didn't actually look up the guy's religious affiliation before (because, honestly, who cares?), but I didn't really have to. His first name is a dead giveaway.

Comment

Seems to me that the decision comes down to one thing...the likelihood of starting. At Ole Miss, Dart starting is pretty certain...at OU, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by owenfieldreams View Post
                                          Seems to me that the decision comes down to one thing...the likelihood of starting. At Ole Miss, Dart starting is pretty certain...at OU, not so much.
                                          You think a kid with Darts talent thinks he wouldn't start at OU?

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit View Post

I think he probably would take any QB he can get.

You wanna argue about it ? My speculation is better than your speculation, I can proove it .
                                            Arguing with that dude will get you nowhere...dude loves living in the negative

Comment

Originally posted by Silvershoes View Post

he thought he would start at usc....
                                              he won't make the same mistake twice...

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

he thought he would start at usc....
                                                he won't make the same mistake twice...
                                                He DID start at SC

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

He DID start at SC
                                                  but he might not next year......and he's not willing to take that chance...

Comment

I don't blame him if he commits to Ole Miss. Path of least resistance.

Comment

but he might not next year......and he's not willing to take that chance...
                                                      Wth? Anywhere he goes that probability exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

Wth? Anywhere he goes that probability exists.
                                                        some places that probability is lower than others.....I guess u failed math...

Comment

Stinkin's success rate with recruited QB's was VERY low.

Hard to think what would've happened without Bake, Kyler, and Jalen.

Comment

lebby may want numbers....but transfer portal players are not going to risk their one free transfer on a place where they are not assured a starting role.....
                                                            I have no doubt dart would have come to ou if Gabriel hadn't pulled the trigger first....
                                                            Yet Dillon Gabriel didn't decommit, even after we flirted with Dart and got Evers committed. Maybe he would've decommitted if Dart chose us, but that's just supposition.

I much prefer it this way, tbh. We saw what resulted from Riley not recruiting QB's the next year to spare the ego of #1 QB's, and ultimately it led to a thin QB room. I'm through with "guaranteeing" anyone a spot, and if that means we lose someone along the way so fucking be it. Dart is potentially a great QB the same way everyone is potentially a great QB.

Comment

Yet Dillon Gabriel didn't decommit, even after we flirted with Dart and got Evers committed. Maybe he would've decommitted if Dart chose us, but that's just supposition.

I much prefer it this way, tbh. We saw what resulted from Riley not recruiting QB's the next year to spare the ego of #1 QB's, and ultimately it led to a thin QB room. I'm through with "guaranteeing" anyone a spot, and if that means we lose someone along the way so fucking be it. Dart is potentially a great QB the same way everyone is potentially a great QB.
                                                              I guess we should leave "band dad" alone...he's new to this competitor thing.

Comment

The days of 4 or 5 star "numbers" are over. Anytime a QB, with talent, sits for a year and isn't going to be the starter, he's gonna jump into the portal. QBs aren't going to transfer into a potential backup situation.

I look at it differently...why piss off DG if you think he's your guy? I think Lebby likes Dart more than DG (so do I) and pursuing Dart is going after a bigger/better fish. Can't blame Lebby for pulling the trigger on DG when CW left...but I don't think DG is Lebbys #1 pick in this situation. We'll never know...

If Dart doesn't come to OU, it will help 2023 recruiting, which may be better in the long run. Especially if DG is the stud some are expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvershoes View Post

I am sure he has all the confidence in the world but his decision to leave SC tells me he is a realist. At OU he will be going up against QB with much more starting experience and that experience is in Lebby's system. At Ole Miss he has a clear path.

Comment

maybe for OU part of the lure was in the combo deal of getting a qb and a tight end since it looks like the two are planning on going to the same place.

I wonder if for Dart part of the interest was the thought of rubbing it in Riley's face, if he was confident in his abilities to think he could go to the place where Riley left and coaxed his former qb to leave and then do better at OU than Caleb did at usc? I would think there would have to be some joy in doing that, having better stats, leading the Sooners to more wins it would surely be something in the back of your mind, in the end playing time and money offers may win out but you got to think there is a little I'll show you as well.

Comment

And that’s completely fair. If Dart was my kid I’d be interested in OU but probably nudge him toward a sure starting job. OU just couldn’t tell Gabriel no at the time…we didn’t know Riley was dumb enough to run off his starter before securing Caleb.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                                                                        We should take Dart and the TE.
                                                                        People here that don’t want Caleb…want a QB that went 4-8? Makes sense…

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                                                          People here that don’t want Caleb…want a QB that went 4-8? Makes sense…
                                                                          Who doesn’t want Caleb? Everyone wanted him to stay with half a brain cell. Since his departure, it’s sour grapes (justifiable in my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

And that’s completely fair. If Dart was my kid I’d be interested in OU but probably nudge him toward a sure starting job. OU just couldn’t tell Gabriel no at the time…we didn’t know Riley was dumb enough to run off his starter before securing Caleb.
                                                                            On the Oklahoma Breakdown i seen this morning Gabe said he heard from someone in the Dart family that Riley flat out lied to them then they were leaked some info about Caleb's NiL deal and after being lied to they hit the portal
                                                                            Sounds like Riley tried to pull a fast one on the Darts

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerAnon View Post

On the Oklahoma Breakdown i seen this morning Gabe said he heard from someone in the Dart family that Riley flat out lied to them then they were leaked some info about Caleb's NiL deal and after being lied to they hit the portal
                                                                              Sounds like Riley tried to pull a fast one on the Darts
                                                                              I am shocked—shocked—that Lincoln Riley would be dishonest and self-serving in trying to keep QB depth on the roster

Comment

The days of 4 or 5 star "numbers" are over.
                                                                                Eh...not really. Elite programs are still loading their rosters year after year, and "losing" their underperforming 4 & 5-stars to the portal. Bama does it. Clemson does it. Ohio State does it. Georgia does it. I don't know why people are in disbelief that we could do it, too. We have to break out of this "times have changed" mindset in terms of recruiting. It functions the same as it ever did: the big boys at the top get the spoils, and usually there is some money involved at all levels of the process.

Ultimately, your goal is still the same: load your roster with as much talent as you can recruit and let competition sift out the ones that don't produce as well as the others.

If we're doing it right, we should be one of those teams losing a couple of 4 & 5-stars every season that aren't performing as well as the other guys in the starting lineup. That's the norm at championship programs, in any sport. Just look at how many highly recruited players filter out of Patty Gasso's programs relative to the ones that stay and produce.

Anytime a QB, with talent, sits for a year and isn't going to be the starter, he's gonna jump into the portal. QBs aren't going to transfer into a potential backup situation.

I look at it differently...why piss off DG if you think he's your guy? I think Lebby likes Dart more than DG (so do I) and pursuing Dart is going after a bigger/better fish. Can't blame Lebby for pulling the trigger on DG when CW left...but I don't think DG is Lebbys #1 pick in this situation. We'll never know...
                                                                                There's just too much supposition here to have a good conversation. It would just be "what do I think," or, "what do you think," except there's nothing concrete to base any opinions on without knowing what Lebby has or hasn't said to our recruits.

What we do know is, Lebby picked up Evers (a Top 10 QB), and secured a commitment from Dillon Gabriel (a highly productive QB that knows his system), then flirted with Jaxson Dart without losing EITHER ONE. That doesn't say to me that either of them were told they would step right in and start.

If Dart doesn't come to OU, it will help 2023 recruiting, which may be better in the long run. Especially if DG is the stud some are expecting.
                                                                                It really just depends on who we recruit. Some QB's aren't afraid of competition. Frankly, those are the ones I want: guys who are supremely confident in their own abilities and their capability to overtake anyone in a straight up QB battle. That's what we had with Baker, and even Kyler.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post

Who doesn’t want Caleb? Everyone wanted him to stay with half a brain cell. Since his departure, it’s sour grapes (justifiable in my opinion)
                                                                                  At this point, it’s less about wanting to stay/leave, and more about the drama-filled circus sideshow the Williams family has turned it into.
                                                                                  Last edited by Burglekutt; 01-17-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

what prospect in his right mind would choose ole miss over ou/norman?
                                                                                    Maybe one who did not want to take a chance of being the one who carries a clipboard for Lebby while Gabriel plays.
                                                                                    Last edited by MichSooner; 01-17-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burglekutt View Post

At this point, it’s less about wanting to stay/leave, and more about the drama-filled circus sideshow the Williams family has turned it into.
                                                                                      Pretty much this. I just want this fucking reality television shit to be over. Unless we get an 11th hour twist, Caleb is going to USC and the rest is just theatrics.

Comment

Wow! Think you are reading waaaay too much in the way they are posing
                                                                                        But these guys went to USC and took General Psychology.

Comment

Dart just posted a pic of him and Kiffin standing by an Aston Martin. I think he’s Ole Miss bound.
                                                                                          Kiffin using the TBOW recruiting tool-expensive cars.

Comment

It really just depends on who we recruit. Some QB's aren't afraid of competition. Frankly, those are the ones I want: guys who are supremely confident in their own abilities and their capability to overtake anyone in a straight up QB battle. That's what we had with Baker, and even Kyler.
                                                                                            I don't think Dart is afraid of comp. He committed to USC while Slovis was there coming off his best year ever and with the commitment of A tOP ten QB and number 76 overall player in his same class Miller Moss. I think if anything since Dillon has been anointed the next great QB by former players and current coaches on Twitter. He might not feel he has a fair competition, with Dillon who played under Lebby before.

Comment

And, speaking of culture shock... On Saturday when they are wearing their uniforms there will be a stadium full and rocking and fans will be naming their newborn babies after them. In LA they could go undefeated and they would be addressed as, "who are you?" As a college aged football player, Norman and Oxford are 100x better than LA. Plus, LA is a dump. Got that too.

Comment

Dart should be called Sunshine from now on. Kinda fits him.

Comment

Originally posted by Red n Deadly View Post
                                                                                                  Dart should be called Sunshine from now on. Kinda fits him.
                                                                                                  In less he goes to Ole Miss at which time he'll cease to exist and doesn't deserve a cool nickname

Comment

Originally posted by Burglekutt View Post

Is that right? Kid stayed for the bowl game, declared he was hitting the portal and he’s been quiet as his family.
                                                                                                    It’s the fans who are making it into a circus demanding to know what this kids intentions are when he has until the start of school to make that determination.

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                                                                                      Is that right? Kid stayed for the bowl game, declared he was hitting the portal and he’s been quiet as his family.
                                                                                                      It’s the fans who are making it into a circus demanding to know what this kids intentions are when he has until the start of school to make that determination.
                                                                                                      Okay Cool. Boomer.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1