First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks Like BV & Co Are Repairing Relationships W/OK HS Coaches

Honest question as I don’t live in OK but did the relationship need to be repaired? Clearly relationships are always a work in progress but I’m curious as to where things stood.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
      Honest question as I don’t live in OK but did the relationship need to be repaired? Clearly relationships are always a work in progress but I’m curious as to where things stood.
      I think tbow took Oklahoma hs recruiting for granted, it appears by the coaches statement they may have felt slighted.

Comment

48a just went from 6 to midnight lol. But it is good to have the state on lockdown if we can. Every state on lockdown works for me too though.

Comment

Originally posted by cfin5256 View Post
          48a just went from 6 to midnight lol. But it is good to have the state on lockdown if we can. Every state on lockdown works for me too though.
          Agreed. It would be nice to get the top 4 or 5 OK kids every season then 20 from Texas and SEC country. This staff should be able to do that.

Comment

There has long been many OK HS coaches who have had issues getting through to OU’s coaching staff. It seemed to get worse around the time Norvell and everybody after him were hitting up the west coast as hard as they did. Bottom line is OU doesn’t need any bridges burned from sea to shining sea.
            Think about having a true monopoly back home. You’re not going to sign 25 Oklahoma kids to OU LOIs. But you can possibly stop the bleeding where a few BIG 12 and B1G schools have been picking off great players from our home state. NTM, with Arky back on the rise, we all know they like to pluck Okies away whenever they can.
            Need the bridges repaired with today’s game being a game of transfers and NIL monopoly. Lose Stogner? Cool… you have a chance at having Kolar on hand. Lose Haselwood? You have a shot at all the Okie-born WRs oSu keeps turning into studs.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post
              There has long been many OK HS coaches who have had issues getting through to OU’s coaching staff. It seemed to get worse around the time Norvell and everybody after him were hitting up the west coast as hard as they did. Bottom line is OU doesn’t need any bridges burned from sea to shining sea.
              Think about having a true monopoly back home. You’re not going to sign 25 Oklahoma kids to OU LOIs. But you can possibly stop the bleeding where a few BIG 12 and B1G schools have been picking off great players from our home state. NTM, with Arky back on the rise, we all know they like to pluck Okies away whenever they can.
              Need the bridges repaired with today’s game being a game of transfers and NIL monopoly. Lose Stogner? Cool… you have a chance at having Kolar on hand. Lose Haselwood? You have a shot at all the Okie-born WRs oSu keeps turning into studs.
              I don’t think Stoops emphasized these high school coach relationships

Comment

Originally posted by soonerquest View Post

Which is odd….because his father and his brother Ron were HS coaches. You’d think he would have valued those relationships based on his background.

But maybe that’s because his background is the state of Ohio…..where the top dog absolutely owns recruiting inside the state and he figured he shouldn’t have to try very hard in Oklahoma?

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

Which is odd….because his father and his brother Ron were HS coaches. You’d think he would have valued those relationships based on his background.

But maybe that’s because his background is the state of Ohio…..where the top dog absolutely owns recruiting inside the state and he figured he shouldn’t have to try very hard in Oklahoma?
                  I think it was more of a work life balance approach which he increasingly embraced

Comment

Having more "fan type" student athletes might insulate schools from the transfer portal a bit. Guys that grew up wanting to play at OU could be easier to keep in the fold.

Comment

A current HS coach who is a friend of mine had a brother who played for Stoops mostly on special teams. I don’t get the feeling there’s hatred towards OU all over but there is frustration with regard to largely being ignored. Said coach says “I get it because National recruiting isn’t like you remember everybody’s name all over the country but we do want to help our kids get into camps and get a look from the state schools.” He says oSu and Tulsa “always pick up the phone” whereas OU is typically like “you come to us.”
                      So, at the end of the day it’s about what you’d expect with OU being after bigger fish out there. That being said, hopefully an increased support staff can help out with ‘crootin our home state. We all know we’d like to see more Sam Bradfords, Sterling Shepards and maybe some more guys like Charlie Kolar, the Presley brothers, the ever-growing Lockett family, etc.
                      There’s no more guarantees in today’s world to have a roster intact from one year to the next but I’d imagine you stand a better chance of holding onto in-state born talents who have grown up on OU football.
                      Again, not saying you want to exclusively sign 25 guys that way. However, look back on each ‘crootin class and you can easily see how many of those 25 flame out. There’s certainly more room for an in state guy here or there.

Comment

So what are you basing this assumption on? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

A fan’s assumption, most likely. However, most HS coaches around this state will tell you they’ve gotten a cold shoulder from OU many times through the years. Again, they get it. OU is rolling out the red carpet for Adrian Peterson, Spencer Rattler, Tommie Harris, etc. They know there’s only so many hours in the day and only so much reaching out OU can do with a limited staff. They know OU picks up the phone immediately for Gerald McCoy. Not so much for Johnny Three-Star in Catoosa.

Comment

I went to high school and am a close friend with a former high school coach (since retired) who was head coach of a 6A school in Oklahoma, then head coach of a 6A school in Texas. He had a strong relationship with BV previously, which continued after BV left the state.

Stoops and others may have held Oklahoma high school coaches at arms length, but BV didn't (at least with this person).

Comment

You don't think...no shit? How you guys make shit up on here and post it as truth cracks me the fuck up.

I've attended several of Stoops' high school coaches clinics at my previous place of employ over several years. HS coaches from all over Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and other states. They did film studies of high school players, gave tips and best practices, developed relationships and fed them and hung out after hours with them. They were always packed. Venables, BJW, Gundy, Merv, Schmitty, Mike Stoops, all them guys were there working their tails off.

Over time, recruiting morphed into the "gotta land all the 5 stars in California and Florida" and they had less and less of them; and I don't know if Riley ever had one. I see Venables going back to old school on a lot of stuff, and this is a good thing.

Comment

This will help. If OU still recruits at a top-10 level like I think we will, there will still be the typical in-state butthurt of not being able to offer as early as OSU, and HS buddies not getting offers. But it’ll at least help get us in the door.

Comment

I remember the slow-playing offer to Ryan Broyles where it got heated between OU and oSu. Around these parts, we’d imagine such a heated battle unacceptable. Broyles made the right choice.
                                  However, oSu was a signing day swing and miss away from having Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon and Ryan Broyles all on the same roster. That’s three Belitnikoff Award finalists, two wins and a Pro Bowler on one roster.
                                  Broyles became a star here. But it really was down to the nitty gritty for his LOI here.
                                  Again, I’ll reiterate that we don’t want to close our borders to Okies only… but we can at the very least do better in state. Especially considering some of the national guys who have flopped here.
                                  IIRC, we got Sam Bradford because Chuck Long swung and missed on Tim Teebus and Matthew Stafford. Not exactly a bad fallback plan to set the all time pass efficiency record and take home two BIG 12 titles and a Heisman.

Comment

I know it was always stunning to see Riley's recruiting classes only have one or two players from Oklahoma, every single year. Each time I remember thinking that there had to be more talent in the state that we were just overlooking.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post
                                      I know it was always stunning to see Riley's recruiting classes only have one or two players from Oklahoma, every single year. Each time I remember thinking that there had to be more talent in the state that we were just overlooking.
                                      Yes, and even that wouldn't have been so bad if the guys we were ignoring weren't popping around us being good to great players. Never mind the high caliber recruits that shunned us.

A 1-2 recruit class from Oklahoma HS should be as rare as a 10-12 one IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post
                                        That's possible and somewhat likely. The challenge is do you take the Oklahoma diamond-in-the-rough or South Carolina Joey 5-star. Of course, if you whiff on both, it's a real problem. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
                                          Thread title is very misleading. The tweet he posted says nothing about relationships being broken. Only that they are happy the new coaching staff is making Oklahoma a priority. That doesn't mean the previous staffs didn't do that.

You think Cale Gundy doesn't have good relationships with every HS coach in the state?

Anywho, I think too much is made of recruiting Oklahoma kids. Is Georgia? Is Bama?

Oklahoma just does not produce that many D1 quality players relative to other places like Texas, Florida, California.

I say you go for the best, wherever they are located, especially in states within the TV coverage area of your conference.
                                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

IMO there are probably about 6-8 guys average per year that would be players that are capable of playing at a good or better FBS level.

Looking back at 2017 recruiting, OU took 6 in-state recruits. Hit on four of them. So they are there. It's being able to accurately evaluate and separate the Malcom Rodriguez and Charlie Kolar's from the Cade Mashburn's and the Marcus Mays's. That's really hard to do with great regularity, I read that even with their enormous resources the considered success rate for NFL 1st round picks is about 50%.

So if you could pinpoint these guys then yes it would work but it's not a science.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Thread title is very misleading. The tweet he posted says nothing about relationships being broken. Only that they are happy the new coaching staff is making Oklahoma a priority. That doesn't mean the previous staffs didn't do that.

You think Cale Gundy doesn't have good relationships with every HS coach in the state?

Anywho, I think too much is made of recruiting Oklahoma kids. Is Georgia? Is Bama?

Oklahoma just does not produce that many D1 quality players relative to other places like Texas, Florida, California.

I say you go for the best, wherever they are located, especially in states within the TV coverage area of your conference.
                                              when your out of state 4-5 stars are busting.....and some in-state 3 stars are playing elsewhere and going on to the nfl......changes need to be made...
                                              or maybe u just suck at evaluating talent......and there's nothing u can do...
                                              my guess is the new staff will be better...and guys like kolar will be playing for ou in the future....

Comment

The post did highlight the word ENTIRE OU staff and tailed off by says OU looks to be making Oklahoma kids a priority now, that would infer that they weren't a priority in the recent past. Tweets don't convey a huge amount of info but based on what was said it does appear the new staff wants to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana Norman View Post
                                                  Having more "fan type" student athletes might insulate schools from the transfer portal a bit. Guys that grew up wanting to play at OU could be easier to keep in the fold.
                                                  absolutely...
                                                  an out of state 4 star is far more likely to bolt after 1 year when they don't get immediate playing time...
                                                  an in-state 3 star ou fan will work hard to get on the field and will stick it out till the end...

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

You don't think...no shit? How you guys make shit up on here and post it as truth cracks me the fuck up.

I've attended several of Stoops' high school coaches clinics at my previous place of employ over several years. HS coaches from all over Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas and other states. They did film studies of high school players, gave tips and best practices, developed relationships and fed them and hung out after hours with them. They were always packed. Venables, BJW, Gundy, Merv, Schmitty, Mike Stoops, all them guys were there working their tails off.

Over time, recruiting morphed into the "gotta land all the 5 stars in California and Florida" and they had less and less of them; and I don't know if Riley ever had one. I see Venables going back to old school on a lot of stuff, and this is a good thing.
                                                    Things change— I should have clarified that. What you described happened in the early Stoops years and then things slowly changed— the second half of Stoops’ tenure was not like the first half.

Comment

The post did highlight the word ENTIRE OU staff and tailed off by says OU looks to be making Oklahoma kids a priority now, that would infer that they weren't a priority in the recent past. Tweets don't convey a huge amount of info but based on what was said it does appear the new staff wants to work.
                                                      I agree. It was probably a subtle jab at Riley.

Comment

Channeling OU48, the last time OU won an NC, over half of the starting personnel on both sides of the ball were native Oklahomans and both trenches were loaded with them. Obviously some key players hailed elsewhere like Heupel, Williams, Marshall, etc. The players need to be good, but I think it's good to strike the right balance and I also think you would see less in-state players hit the transfer portal just because there is a coaching change event. Not 100% obviously, just less.

Comment

Time has come, for mending fences.
                                                          A little love will fix things up.

Comment

Let me know when the HS Coaches produce another Heisman winner. We will know they made OU a priority.

Is this really a story? I saw recruits and their families en mass every Home Game. Also they are treated great in the Spring Game as well. Not once did it seem like recruiting wasn’t a priority. Not once. Even met Rattler’s Parents at the Cotton Bowl when Hurts was our Starter. Spencer looked content on waiting for his turn and he started two seasons. The priority problems seem to be NIL related to me.

Comment

Things change— I should have clarified that. What you described happened in the early Stoops years and then things slowly changed— the second half of Stoops’ tenure was not like the first half.
                                                              Fair enough. The whole recruiting philosophy changed gradually where the coaches spent all their time on airplanes instead of in the car going to Tulsa or OKC.

Comment

Originally posted by OUspark View Post
                                                                Let me know when the HS Coaches produce another Heisman winner. We will know they made OU a priority.

Is this really a story? I saw recruits and their families en mass every Home Game. Also they are treated great in the Spring Game as well. Not once did it seem like recruiting wasn’t a priority. Not once. Even met Rattler’s Parents at the Cotton Bowl when Hurts was our Starter. Spencer looked content on waiting for his turn and he started two seasons. The priority problems seem to be NIL related to me.
                                                                This was in regards to Oklahoma high school coaches.

Comment

I am not trying to be a smartass here, and I certainly don't know as much about this topic as you guys do. But please consider - if the whole OU staff is throwing huge coaching clinics for the high school guys for five-six years, at what point have we done enough of that? In other words, you've had every high school coach in three or four times. Do you really need to have them back? Haven't that dividends been paid?

In this new world, I am growing skeptical of high schoole recruiting at all. Someone on this board said Deon Sanders was aiming only for 20% high school guys, and that sounds about right to me.

Comment

This was in regards to Oklahoma high school coaches.
                                                                    Exactly. Sam Bradford was the last Heisman Trophy winner we got from Oklahoma HS ranks. That was quite some time ago. I know every position can’t be a 4 or 5 star but OU just brought in Coaches that have been recruiting elsewhere. Maybe these bridges are mending but it’s a two way mend. You go elsewhere if you can’t find what you are looking for and if the players you get from here aren’t showing promise, you keep going out of State. It’s nice to mend fences but handing out limited Scholarships to 3 star athletes to mend a fence might not happen so is this just a new coat of paint?

I love Oklahoma proud Oklahoma tough and Rufneks. I know they are out there every year but HS Coaches need to help showcase them. I know many never get any help or development. Times have been even tougher the last two years.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stinger_1066;n947917]

I say you go for the best, wherever they are located, especially in states within the TV coverage area of your conference.[/QUOTE]

I think this has been our traditional recruiting area. And is our best option. Going to Florida and California is fine but when the guys you AREN'T getting from your home state end up being better than the guys you are getting from these far off places. Something is off kilter.

The reality of it is that when we go into those big states it is a crap shoot. There are a lot of good players there instead of just a few. But you neve know out of say a top 100 in a state...which guys will pan out. And the fact of the matter is that in most of those states we aren't going to get those five star guys very often. We often end up with the Miquel Edwardses and the Gary Simons and the JaKarye Daily's as often as we get a Nick Bonitto or a Striker.

So it probably comes out in the wash. More local guys vs. these exotic guys. Maybe you miss out on a Striker but you get a Malcolm Rodriquez. You miss a Calcutta and get a Kolar.

Although I think the portal will change strategy once we get a few years to see how it alters things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

I think this has been our traditional recruiting area. And is our best option. Going to Florida and California is fine but when the guys you AREN'T getting from your home state end up being better than the guys you are getting from these far off places. Something is off kilter.

The reality of it is that when we go into those big states it is a crap shoot. There are a lot of good players there instead of just a few. But you neve know out of say a top 100 in a state...which guys will pan out. And the fact of the matter is that in most of those states we aren't going to get those five star guys very often. We often end up with the Miquel Edwardses and the Gary Simons and the JaKarye Daily's as often as we get a Nick Bonitto or a Striker.

So it probably comes out in the wash. More local guys vs. these exotic guys. Maybe you miss out on a Striker but you get a Malcolm Rodriquez. You miss a Calcutta and get a Kolar.

Although I think the portal will change strategy once we get a few years to see how it alters things.
                                                                        did tbow and the Boyz recruit bookie via zoom? maybe he looked taller on FaceTime....
                                                                        surely there was a better option closer by where they could actually go watch him play and stand next to him....

Comment

Originally posted by King Barry View Post
                                                                          In this new world, I am growing skeptical of high schoole recruiting at all. Someone on this board said Deon Sanders was aiming only for 20% high school guys, and that sounds about right to me.
                                                                          I'm coming to the same conclusion. Once someone transfers TO you, they've burned their one transfer without sitting pass so they're much less likely to transfer again. You also get to see how they perform at the college level before giving a scholly. Seems like too much upside to live via portal transfers rather than using up the majority of your time and scholarships on traditional high school recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

when your out of state 4-5 stars are busting.....and some in-state 3 stars are playing elsewhere and going on to the nfl......changes need to be made...
                                                                            or maybe u just suck at evaluating talent......and there's nothing u can do...
                                                                            my guess is the new staff will be better...and guys like kolar will be playing for ou in the future....
                                                                            https://highschoolfootballamerica.co...ekend-rosters/

It seems like Florida, Texas, California and Georgia are thousands of miles ahead of Oklahoma for putting players into the NFL. IMG especially seems more likely a payoff than a bust but that’s also depends on the university not wasting the talent.

Comment

#39
                                                                              ^This is very good to read...

Yesterday on KREF Parker T said that not one OU coach had attended this event the entire time TBOW was our head coach.
                                                                              Since building a football program is about building relationships that is inexcusable.
                                                                              Brent knows this and has said as much. It's why Brent has said that he wants to recruit players who want to be at OU for non-NIL reasons.

I'm looking forward to watching an OU staff who will more appropriately evaluate and develop talent with more players coming in who grew up loving OU football.

Once you get beyond recruiting the super star future multiyear all pro's, recruiting becomes more about how well a player fits into the desired culture, which will be based on relationships and not transactions like Riley's teams were.

Brent seems to know exactly what type of player personality and culture that he wants.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Wasn’t Brent at OU when Zac Taylor went to Nebraska? I’m all in as far as Brent Venables and the new Staff but I think results will decide the outcome. If you want another “Feel Good” story, this is it.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  This discussion always amuses me and shows how black/white the world is for many people. My world is gray. You load up and lock down as many top recruits as you possibly can, and their location does not matter. The constraints in budget, time, legitimate chances to close, etc need to be carefully evaluated and decisions made from there. You also need to be able to lock down pipelines closer to home. The possibility of a kid being a fan growing up are improved with travel and availability to home are also improved. See the argument about making sure you get the top 4-7 kids in OK and as many top recruits in the north Texas region as possible. Finally, I would reserve the 80-85th scholarship(s) on the team to "bodies". A skinny 6'6" athlete that could end up being a monster DE or TE. An overweight basketball player who has the size to be developed into an o-lineman with the feet of a dancer and baby fat turned to muscle. A 250 lb wrestler that you can turn in to a 300 lb. space eater as a DT. Pick a body type that you covet and find it. Yes, none of those grow on trees but you have to be able to find those "close(ish) to home division 1 bodies that have not yet met their potential/upside then you mold them in to D1 players (not just bodies).

All of this ebbs and flows depending on how much success you have at the top end of your board.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

Towards the end of stoops tenure, multiple HS coaches had said they couldn’t even get OU to talk to them, and several recruits not only from OK claimed OU had just quit talking to them. Bobs last years didn’t put a whole lot of emphasis on maintaining and building recruiting relationships.

Comment

#43

I think you miss the point when you say that Bama and Georgia are not recruiting Oklahoma kids. They are getting their own in state kids. Plus, Saban did take one of the best Oklahoma kids, that OU missed out on, in Josh Jacobs, who now plays for the Raiders. Big miss for OU.

But, think about this. Tell me that last national champion, that did not have a majority of players from in state or at least a very large number. Plus, most of the rest were at least regional. I think this is very important for chemistry.

I just can't think of a "national" recruiting team that is winning nattys. And when I say "national recruiting" I am talking about some team that has to get almost all of their players from out of state and out of region. These teams can be good, but I don't see them winning it all.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by R.D. Mercer View Post

Towards the end of stoops tenure, multiple HS coaches had said they couldn’t even get OU to talk to them, and several recruits not only from OK claimed OU had just quit talking to them. Bobs last years didn’t put a whole lot of emphasis on maintaining and building recruiting relationships.
                                                                                        How do you know? Do you have a link confirming those statements or are you just making unsubstantiated remarks?

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post

I think you miss the point when you say that Bama and Georgia are not recruiting Oklahoma kids. They are getting their own in state kids. Plus, Saban did take one of the best Oklahoma kids, that OU missed out on, in Josh Jacobs, who now plays for the Raiders. Big miss for OU.

But, think about this. Tell me that last national champion, that did not have a majority of players from in state or at least a very large number. Plus, most of the rest were at least regional. I think this is very important for chemistry.

I just can't think of a "national" recruiting team that is winning nattys. And when I say "national recruiting" I am talking about some team that has to get almost all of their players from out of state and out of region. These teams can be good, but I don't see them winning it all.
                                                                                          if one exists...my best guess would be Notre Dame....or byu

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

if one exists...my best guess would be Notre Dame....or byu
                                                                                            Which goes to my point. Notre Dame and BYU are not dominating college football and winning nattys. Heck, Notre Dame with all of their media advantages and being the preeminent Catholic school in the country, hasn't been close to winning it all, even though they have made the playoff.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by R.D. Mercer View Post

What a coincidence, that's about the time Riley got to town.

I'm just glad Venables appears to want a strong relationship with in-state programs. It never hurts to have friends in your own home state, especially those who might let you in on a promising player that hasn't yet gotten on the national radar--you know, so our coaches can build a relationship with him before the Nick Saban's, Kirby Smart's and Jimbo Fisher's come to town.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post

If you want to beat Bama and Georgia you have to be able to land the same recruits they are after. Bottom line.
                                                                                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

#49

If you want to beat Bama and Georgia you have to be able to land the same recruits they are after. Bottom line.
                                                                                                  Why don’t you let Brent Venables make the call. Have some more tapioca pudding.

Comment

#50

This. Clemson didn't have anywhere near the pedigree of Alabama, yet they still won their recruiting battles over the Tide. If we can't do it with the pedigree we have to sell, it's our fault alone.

That's why I'm not shocked that this staff is already making waves in recruiting. We should have a shot with every recruit we pursue, and with this staff I feel like we will come away with many of the ones we would've lost out on in the past, especially on defense. Hell, it's not going to shock me if Lebby eventually gets Arch Manning.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1