Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had limited time in the state for a while but from my limited experience it has always seemed to me that okie state has cultivated these relationships better than OU has, at least north of I-40. I always attributed it to your school’s pipeline into and focus on the state of Texas. That being said, I think more is being made of this than is really necessary. OU is and always will be the flagship school in the state that gets the majority of elite talent that Oklahoma produces—and that gap will only widen once you’re in the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

This. Clemson didn't have anywhere near the pedigree of Alabama, yet they still won their recruiting battles over the Tide. If we can't do it with the pedigree we have to sell, it's our fault alone.

That's why I'm not shocked that this staff is already making waves in recruiting. We should have a shot with every recruit we pursue, and with this staff I feel like we will come away with many of the ones we would've lost out on in the past, especially on defense. Hell, it's not going to shock me if Lebby eventually gets Arch Manning.
      Clemson started winning big before they started recruiting at an elite level. Their 2012-2014 classes were all well outside the Top 10 and their 2015 class was 9th. 2016 and 2017 were both outside the Top 10 again. Their first Top 5 class was in 2020.

They just consistently hit on the targets they aimed at.

As for OU and in-state relationships, it never hurts to have a kid's HS coach in your corner. But we haven't missed a lot on in-state kids. Hill and Proctor are the two big misses I can remember in recent years and at the time it was hard to blame an elite DB anywhere for not signing on to play for us. If someone wanted to point fingers at a program that is under-performing locally, it's been Gundy up in Stillwater. That said, he did really well with the current crop of in-state kids. If he recruited in-state that well every year, he'd be a Top 25ish recruiter every year.

Comment

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

Clemson started winning big before they started recruiting at an elite level. Their 2012-2014 classes were all well outside the Top 10 and their 2015 class was 9th. 2016 and 2017 were both outside the Top 10 again. Their first Top 5 class was in 2020.

As for OU and in-state relationships, it never hurts to have a kid's HS coach in your corner. But we haven't missed a lot on in-state kids. Hill and Proctor are the two big misses I can remember in recent years and at the time it was hard to blame an elite DB anywhere for not signing on to play for us. If someone wanted to point fingers at a program that is under-performing locally, it's been Gundy up in Stillwater. That said, he did really well with the current crop of in-state kids. If he recruited in-state that well every year, he'd be a Top 25ish recruiter every year.
        Clemson recruiting profile looks a lot like LSU. They get more 3* guys than other top tier teams but they seem to recruit 5* difference makers at a pretty high clip. They probably a have a 10-12 of those type guys playing at any given time.

Comment

That's something I hope translates here. I feel like this might be where we really feel the impact of Thad Turnipseed.

Comment

When Venables spoke about building relationships, things like this are part of the process.
            Brents helping players on move in day on a coldest / windy day we have seen so far this winter.

Recruits are going to find out that Brents words are more than just words.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                Seeya, Caleb.

Comment

Who is Jeff Laughlin?

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
                    Who is Jeff Laughlin?
                    Shalee’s Husband, Father of 3, Grandfather of 1! Farmer, coach, and official. Everything Oklahoma Sooners!.

Seems to be just some weirdo who thinks he speaks for the program. A "If your not with us your against us" dipshit

Comment

When I see this it reminds me of the mental toughness that OU's softball team has shown under Natty Patty and all the success they have had.
                      Doing the same things with the football program will yield improved results in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post
                        Who is Jeff Laughlin?
                        Originally posted by Cbsooner View Post

Shalee’s Husband, Father of 3, Grandfather of 1! Farmer, coach, and official. Everything Oklahoma Sooners!.

Seems to be just some weirdo who thinks he speaks for the program. A "If your not with us your against us" dipshit
                        Exactly. He talks a big game on Twitter, but if CW announced today that he is staying at OU, he'd welcome him back with open arms.
                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana Norman View Post
                          About friggin' time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	767
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	949983

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Seeya, Caleb.
                            Good riddance.

Comment

Jacobs
                              Kolar
                              McClelland
                              Thompson (even though he busted at Texas - but who doesn't bust at Texas)
                              Shettron
                              Morrison
                              Pressley
                              Horn
                              Daniels

Plenty we've whiffed on, some we never even offered and should have.

Comment

This team needs the Venables we all know. They need a guy who is truly in their corner as much as they need their asses kicked into shape this time of year. Shame with as much as Winfrey is on board supporting the program that we don’t get him for another year. But I get it when it comes to NFL millions.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post

Jacobs
                                  Kolar
                                  McClelland
                                  Thompson (even though he busted at Texas - but who doesn't bust at Texas)
                                  Shettron
                                  Morrison
                                  Pressley
                                  Horn
                                  Daniels

Plenty we've whiffed on, some we never even offered and should have.
                                  My point was that we rarely miss on the in-state guys we push hard for and most of the guys on your list are guys we didn't push hard for or guys we cooled on during the process. Dax Hill and Josh Proctor are exceptions but they're the rare exceptions.

Almost nobody was after Jacobs until late in the process.
                                  We didn't want Kolar b/c we had another guy we liked at that position.
                                  We cooled on McClellan - as did other programs.
                                  We didn't push hard for Thompson.
                                  Shettron made a demand we didn't want to meet (and I supported the decision of the staff in not offering his brother.)
                                  We didn't push for Pressley or Horn.
                                  We cooled on Daniels b/c he wanted to play DB and we projected him at LB.

Comment

When I see this it reminds me of the mental toughness that OU's softball team has shown under Natty Patty and all the success they have had.
                                    Doing the same things with the football program will yield improved results in the long term.

I don’t know if Gasso teaches it or is just good at finding players with it but her teams are tough as hell. I remember watching Jennifer Stewart on the mound back in the day and thinking “Damn this chick is a fucking bulldog out there”. Juarez showed the same toughness last year.
                                    Last edited by OB2.0; 01-17-2022, 05:30 PM. Reason: Damn phone autocorrected Gasso to Agassi

Comment

My point was that we rarely miss on the in-state guys we push hard for and most of the guys on your list are guys we didn't push hard for or guys we cooled on during the process. Dax Hill and Josh Proctor are exceptions but they're the rare exceptions.

Almost nobody was after Jacobs until late in the process.
                                      We cooled on McClellan - as did other programs.
                                      We didn't push hard for Thompson.
                                      Shettron made a demand we didn't want to meet (and I supported the decision of the staff in not offering his brother.)
                                      We didn't push for Pressley or Horn.
                                      We cooled on Daniels b/c he wanted to play DB and we projected him at LB.
                                      You're missing the point. Many of those guys on that list went on and were great successful or will be. Of all those on that list, we were only aggressive on 2 of them and that was a short list I just threw together. The problem was the past coaching culture at OU was to not look inward. We put most of our efforts out of state. You have Gold in your own back yard, you should know it and go after them early and lock them down. We've sucked at that at OU. The new coaching staff is going to change that and I'm all for it.

Comment

Whoever the other guy was that we liked....

We didn't get him. We didn't take a true TE in that class.

We passed on Kolar. Pure and simple.

And that in and of itself wouldn't be that big a deal if not for how frequently it has been happening in the last few years.

I mean, we missed on Wes Welker. It happens. But we have missed on about four All Americans and a handful of other guys who starting elsewhere and are better than our starters.

Comment

Originally posted by OB2.0 View Post

I don’t know if Gasso teaches it or is just good at finding players with it but her teams are tough as hell. I remember watching Jennifer Stewart on the mound back in the day and thinking “Damn this chick is a fucking bulldog out there”. Juarez showed the same toughness last year.
                                          Gasso looks for it, but she also preaches mental toughness every day...so does her entire staff.
                                          It's looking like Brent will be using very similar tactics that will create more resilient and loyal players who will give more effort on and off the field.

Comment

You're missing the point. Many of those guys on that list went on and were great successful or will be. Of all those on that list, we were only aggressive on 2 of them and that was a short list I just threw together. The problem was the past coaching culture at OU was to not look inward. We put most of our efforts out of state. You have Gold in your own back yard, you should know it and go after them early and lock them down. We've sucked at that at OU. The new coaching staff is going to change that and I'm all for it.
                                            Many time's a huge deal is made when an OU coach visits a state high school or a smaller town in Oklahoma.
                                            I remember in the early 2000's when Mike Stoop spoke of this and expressed frustrations of how hard they had to work to earn a commitment from some in state players, particularly in the Tulsa area. I also remember numerous complaints of how OU slow played many in state prospects.
                                            These problems were further compounded by poor player evaluations and development.

I don't think we will see near as many of these same mistakes being made by this OU coaching staff.

Comment

Many time's a huge deal is made when an OU coach visits a state high school or a smaller town in Oklahoma.
                                              I remember in the early 2000's when Mike Stoop spoke of this and expressed frustrations of how hard they had to work to earn a commitment from some in state players, particularly in the Tulsa area. I also remember numerous complaints of how OU slow played many in state prospects.
                                              These problems were further compounded by poor player evaluations and development.

I don't think we will see near as many of these same mistakes being made by this OU coaching staff.
                                              Mutual respect. It is a privilege to be offered and to play for OU. At the same time, being honest with kids about where they stand with us is critical. Even if they don't sign with us, keep showing respect for the decision that they have made because they might be right back on the portal market in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Whoever the other guy was that we liked....

We didn't get him. We didn't take a true TE in that class.

We passed on Kolar. Pure and simple.

And that in and of itself wouldn't be that big a deal if not for how frequently it has been happening in the last few years.

I mean, we missed on Wes Welker. It happens. But we have missed on about four All Americans and a handful of other guys who starting elsewhere and are better than our starters.
                                                I'm just about positive we passed on Kolar (who was a low 3 star out of HS) in the 2017 cycle to take Calcaterra (who was a blue chipper.)

In the age of scholarship limitations, there are going to be guys that develop late somewhere else b/c we don't have the space to park them on the roster like we were able to do in the old days. Kolar developed into a great player but we had a great TE in that class who was going to be a great player, too, until the concussion issues happened.

Comment

I didn't miss the point. We're just making different points.

1) We aren't missing on many local kids that we push hard for (except for a few examples at DB)

But it's also true that...

2) Several local kids we didn't push hard for developed into great players somewhere else.

This is a scholarship limitation thing. We can't afford to take local kids who haven't developed yet in the place of blue chippers from out of state who have. We're going to lose on that trade-off more often than we win. As a result, we're going to see some OK Preps kids develop into great players at OK State, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, etc.

Comment

Venables is working on building in state relationships with High School coaches and it's being noticed. You wouldn't see something like this posted unless it had been an issue.

Last edited by OU48A; 01-20-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I'm just about positive we passed on Kolar (who was a low 3 star out of HS) in the 2017 cycle to take Calcaterra (who was a blue chipper.)

In the age of scholarship limitations, there are going to be guys that develop late somewhere else b/c we don't have the space to park them on the roster like we were able to do in the old days. Kolar developed into a great player but we had a great TE in that class who was going to be a great player, too, until the concussion issues happened.
                                                      You are correct. We did take Calc that year. And despite the fact that ended up being the better player.... I get your point. Mine doesn't apply very well in that instance.

Comment

Many OU fans, players and recruits are going to feel more passionate about the football program because of Brents Venables personality that is contagious.

Watch this

Oklahoma head coach Brent Venables addressed the Lloyd Noble Center crowd on Saturday afternoon at halftime (rivals.com)

Comment

At about the 37-minute mark Teddy and Gabe talk about Oklahoma high school players saying things that posters like me have posted about for many years. Having an OU staff who is exceptionally good at identifying which players can be developed into quality players for OU has always been a needed skill for the very best OU football teams.

When it means more players are more likely to sacrifice and step up and provide leadership.
                                                          This indicates that recruiting Oklahoma and locking it down will be a priority for Brent Venables

Last edited by OU48A; 01-24-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1soonerinoregon View Post

I think you miss the point when you say that Bama and Georgia are not recruiting Oklahoma kids. They are getting their own in state kids. Plus, Saban did take one of the best Oklahoma kids, that OU missed out on, in Josh Jacobs, who now plays for the Raiders. Big miss for OU.

But, think about this. Tell me that last national champion, that did not have a majority of players from in state or at least a very large number. Plus, most of the rest were at least regional. I think this is very important for chemistry.

I just can't think of a "national" recruiting team that is winning nattys. And when I say "national recruiting" I am talking about some team that has to get almost all of their players from out of state and out of region. These teams can be good, but I don't see them winning it all.

OU having commits decommitting and going to Alabama i.e. Saban in the 11th hour will happen far less once OU is in the SEC. Regardless of how great Saban has been, the SEC is still a far bigger marketing factor than even the great Saban is. It's the same reason that OU will go from around recruiting 10th in the nation to top 5 in the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post

OU having commits decommitting and going to Alabama i.e. Saban in the 11th hour will happen far less once OU is in the SEC. Regardless of how great Saban has been, the SEC is still a far bigger marketing factor than even the great Saban is. It's the same reason that OU will go from around recruiting 10th in the nation to top 5 in the nation.
                                                              I'll believe it when I see it...
                                                              imo...sec is meaningless.....success sells.....ou recruiting depends on bv's/ou's success....
                                                              how was bama recruiting before Saban?
                                                              how was Clemson recruiting before dabo hired bv? the "acc" label didn't seem to be hurting Clemson...

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it...
                                                                imo...sec is meaningless.....success sells.....ou recruiting depends on bv's/ou's success....
                                                                how was bama recruiting before Saban?
                                                                how was Clemson recruiting before dabo hired bv? the "acc" label didn't seem to be hurting Clemson...

ATM hasn't had success. They've been a perennial 8 win program at best, but have recruited very well. The marketing power of the SEC is far greater now than almost a decade ago, the time-frame of the examples you stated. Clemson has an ungodly level of in-state talent due to demographics. OU does not have that type of luxury, so their scenarios can't be compared in a legitimate way.

Comment

ATM hasn't had success. They've been a perennial 8 win program at best, but have recruited very well. The marketing power of the SEC is far greater now than almost a decade ago, the time-frame of the examples you stated. Clemson has an ungodly level of in-state talent due to demographics. OU does not have that type of luxury, so their scenarios can't be compared in a legitimate way.
                                                                  u should take a look at Clemson's 2021 recruiting class.....
                                                                  they signed ONE in-state recruit.....a 3star
                                                                  and when you're finished looking at 2021....take a look at 2020....
                                                                  ONE in-state recruit....another 3 star

Comment

u should take a look at Clemson's 2021 recruiting class.....
                                                                    they signed ONE in-state recruit.....a 3star
                                                                    and when you're finished looking at 2021....take a look at 2020....
                                                                    ONE in-state recruit....another 3 star

You should take a look at Clemson's roster. There's about 45 to 50 players from the state of South Carolina.

Comment

You should take a look at Clemson's roster. There's about 45 to 50 players from the state of South Carolina.
                                                                      so where/how did they get them.....because 2 straight recruiting classes don't reflect that...
                                                                      go back another year...2019.....again....only 2 from in-state...both 3 stars
                                                                      3 straight recruiting classes....only 6 in-state players......all lowly 3 stars......how do they now have 45-50 ungodly talented in-staters?

Comment

so where/how did they get them.....because 2 straight recruiting classes don't reflect that...
                                                                        go back another year...2019.....again....only 2 from in-state...both 3 stars
                                                                        3 straight recruiting classes....only 6 in-state players......all lowly 3 stars......how do they now have 45-50 ungodly talented in-staters?
                                                                        This is a fascinating discussion because it would appear that you are both right in a way.

You are nailing him in the fact that it doesn't appear the Clemson relies on in state talent to the degree that you would expect. In fact hardly at all.

But if you look at those rankings for state HS recruits it looks like the state of South Carolina puts about 20 guys a year into high level D1 schools every year and another 10-15 or so if you include the APP States and Western Kentucky type teams. That's pretty deep for a state that isn't real big. But it does seam clear that the top programs outside of South Carolina aren't working it very hard.

But Clemson is able to tap into all those other southern states easily and it even looks like they go to Ohio some. It's funny though, Clemson's damn near in two other states (kind of like Fayetteville, ARK) so they have the advantage of being a SC in state school and being a hope skip and a jump from North Carolina, Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

This is a fascinating discussion because it would appear that you are both right in a way.

You are nailing him in the fact that it doesn't appear the Clemson relies on in state talent to the degree that you would expect. In fact hardly at all.

But if you look at those rankings for state HS recruits it looks like the state of South Carolina puts about 20 guys a year into high level D1 schools every year and another 10-15 or so if you include the APP States and Western Kentucky type teams. That's pretty deep for a state that isn't real big. But it does seam clear that the top programs outside of South Carolina aren't working it very hard.

But Clemson is able to tap into all those other southern states easily and it even looks like they go to Ohio some. It's funny though, Clemson's damn near in two other states (kind of like Fayetteville, ARK) so they have the advantage of being a SC in state school and being a hope skip and a jump from North Carolina, Georgia.
                                                                          point is....clemson has been recruiting successfully regionally and nationally......
                                                                          not because of their conference affiliation....but because of their success....and success begets success....
                                                                          if bv comes in and loses 2-3 games a year.....ou's recruiting will not improve just because we have sec on our jerseys....
                                                                          and if Clemson has a couple more seasons like this last one.....their recruiting will take a massive hit...
                                                                          I don't know what roster zcaa is looking at ..but Clemson does not have 45-50 "ungodly talented" in-state players...

Comment

Demographics of being in the south definitely plays to Clemson's advantage. S.C. has a population 5.1 million whereas OU has only 4.0 million. However when it comes to local state talent S.C.'s big advantage is the state is 25% Afro-American while Oklahoma is 7%. That creates a significant differential of about 1.0 million more A-As (1,280,532-289,961) in S.C.

Also if you look at the 24/7 Composite Recruiting Rankings 2011-2021 (1 page synopsis linked below) for the top 12 teams you will note that on average Clemson has out recruited for both the 5 year average and the 10 year average with Clemson averaging the #10 class for the last 10 years and OU the #12 class. For the last 5 years Clemson has averaged the #5 class and OU the #6 class. As would be expected the top 4 teams were Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and LSU with Georgia ranking above Ohio State on the 5 year average.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...de77ffba3d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population

Comment

#89
                                                                              Where did the Clemson roster come from on its team's that had maximum sucess and won national titles?

Comment

#90
                                                                                No matter where players come from and pretty much regardless of talent if a program doesn't have the right culture in place the program won't be maximizing itself. Having a culture where players care more about the team's fortunes goes a long way.

Building the right culture is why we see Venables making many of the decisions that he does.

Comment

#91
                                                                                  Where did the Clemson roster come from on its team's that had maximum sucess and won national titles?
                                                                                  it didn't come from South Carolina...
                                                                                  but they did a very good job of recruiting regionally...and got some very good players nationally...
                                                                                  basically what I've said bv needs to do at ou...
                                                                                  lock up the best in-state players....then cast wider and wider nets until u have a full class.....but the majority of our players should come from within oklahoma and the adjoining states.
                                                                                  then fill in with the best u can get around the country...
                                                                                  Last edited by theresonly187; 01-25-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

#92

it didn't come from South Carolina...
                                                                                    ..
                                                                                    This is the 2016 and 2018 national tile Clemson roasters.

I see more than a few players from South Carolina

2016 Clemson Tigers Roster | The Football Database (footballdb.com)

2018 Clemson Tigers Roster | The Football Database (footballdb.com)

Comment

#93

This is the 2016 and 2018 national tile Clemson roasters.

I see more than a few players from South Carolina

2016 Clemson Tigers Roster | The Football Database (footballdb.com)

2018 Clemson Tigers Roster | The Football Database (footballdb.com)
                                                                                      the 14 and 15 recruiting classes had more in-state players than 13/16/17.....
                                                                                      in-state recruits were mostly 3 stars and a few 2/4 stars...
                                                                                      guys like Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence were 5 star out of staters..

Comment

#94

2018-2022 to date Clemson has signed 16 of 100 signees from South Carolina. Oklahoma signed 5 of 103 signees from Oklahoma.

https://247sports.com/college/clemso...tball/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...tball/Commits/

Comment

#95

Except for the states involved that sounds a lot like an OU roster when OU has won national title's...

Strong player development from players who were highly bought into the culture who were mostly not 5-star players but with a few 5 stars that made a difference but were also strongly bought into the culture.

Venables knows why building the right culture is such an important part of the recipe. Venables knows that more Okies will help the build the culture and the rate of buying into it. Once well established the culture helps influence others to buy in as well...Then you have a tough cohesive resilient team who plays with great effort for each other, for their coaches and fans.

Last edited by OU48A; 01-25-2022, 02:06 PM.

Comment

#96
                                                                                            I don't know what roster zcaa is looking at ..but Clemson does not have 45-50 "ungodly talented" in-state players...

Moving the goal posts there outside of the 45 to 50 players from South Carolina. That's a big chunk of the roster given that it is frim a single state.

Comment

#97
                                                                                              Except for the states involved that sounds a lot like an OU roster when OU has won national title's...

Strong player development from players who were highly bought into the culture who were mostly not 5-star players but with a few 5 stars that made a difference but were also strongly bought into the culture.

Venables knows why building the right culture is such an important part of the recipe. Venables knows that that more Okies will help the build the culture and the rate of buying into it. Once well established the culture helps influence others to buy in as well...Then you have a tough cohesive resilient team who plays with great effort for each other, for their coaches and fans.

And look at the NFL. Sure there are a number of recognizable names from the collegiate level, but there are a lot of NFL starters that people never heard of back when they were at the collegiate level. We're talking Jerry Rice at Miss. Valley St. type scenarios.

Comment

#98

Moving the goal posts there outside of the 45 to 50 players from South Carolina. That's a big chunk of the roster given that it is frim a single state.
                                                                                                not moving the goalposts at all....
                                                                                                you said Clemson has an "ungodly level of in-state talent due to demographics"
                                                                                                I've showed that's not even close to the truth...
                                                                                                Clemson has signed 6 three star players in the 3 years from 19-21...
                                                                                                if they have 45 to 50 players currently on the roster from South Carolina....40 of them are likely walk-ons...

Comment

#99

not moving the goalposts at all....
                                                                                                  you said Clemson has an "ungodly level of in-state talent due to demographics"
                                                                                                  I've showed that's not even close to the truth...
                                                                                                  Clemson has signed 6 three star players in the 3 years from 19-21...
                                                                                                  if they have 45 to 50 players currently on the roster from South Carolina....40 of them are likely walk-ons...

And you tried to turn it into that I said "all" 45 to 50 players had that talent level, which I did not say "all" ergo, you moving the goal posts. Anyway, this back and forth has reached its conclusion. You'll learn and see soon enough.

Comment

Some walk- on's play.
                                                                                                    4 walk-on's started for the 2000 OU national title team.
                                                                                                    A 2 time walk-on won a Heisman for OU and has starter in the NFL.
                                                                                                    Clemson had a good TE who was a walk-on.
                                                                                                    Walk-ons can also be part of building a great team culture.

I heard Venables say that he crawled-on at KSU.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1