First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

I'm just about positive we passed on Kolar (who was a low 3 star out of HS) in the 2017 cycle to take Calcaterra (who was a blue chipper.)

In the age of scholarship limitations, there are going to be guys that develop late somewhere else b/c we don't have the space to park them on the roster like we were able to do in the old days. Kolar developed into a great player but we had a great TE in that class who was going to be a great player, too, until the concussion issues happened.
    I find it funny that you mention "in the age of scholarship limitations" since the 85 limit has been around for 30 years and now with NIL there are ways to work around scholarship limitations (see BYU).

Not discounting what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by ChapelHillSooner View Post

I find it funny that you mention "in the age of scholarship limitations" since the 85 limit has been around for 30 years and now with NIL there are ways to work around scholarship limitations (see BYU).

Not discounting what you said.
      It's been decades since OU had rosters loaded with Okies. The scholarship limit is the reason why. This thread is about Oklahoma's in-state recruiting efforts.

Comment

It's been decades since OU had rosters loaded with Okies. The scholarship limit is the reason why. This thread is about Oklahoma's in-state recruiting efforts.
        The scholarship limitations are why we don't have 15 Oklahoma kids a year like we did in the '70s... but they aren't the reason we don't get like five local players a year. There are a lot of different reasons for it but one of them is that we weren't willing to gamble on many in state guys who weren't super highly rated. Instead in many instances we would go to some other state and get a three star who wasn't very good.

I just hope Venables will give some local guys a chance even if they do end up washing out.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post

You're missing the point. Many of those guys on that list went on and were great successful or will be. Of all those on that list, we were only aggressive on 2 of them and that was a short list I just threw together. The problem was the past coaching culture at OU was to not look inward. We put most of our efforts out of state. You have Gold in your own back yard, you should know it and go after them early and lock them down. We've sucked at that at OU. The new coaching staff is going to change that and I'm all for it.
          Yeah, we suck at it. Who are Pat Fields, Justin Broiles, Jordan Mukes, Brynden Walker, Jalen Redmon, Bryan Mead, Doug Collins, Ethan Downs, Reed Lindsay, Jordan Kelly, Nasir Kemper, Jake McCoy, Ryan Peoples, Caden Hendren, Brey Walker, Andrew Raym Adrian Scott, LaRon Stokes, and Isaiah Thomas?

Where did they come from? How did they get here?
          Last edited by MichSooner; 01-25-2022, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

The scholarship limitations are why we don't have 15 Oklahoma kids a year like we did in the '70s... but they aren't the reason we don't get like five local players a year. There are a lot of different reasons for it but one of them is that we weren't willing to gamble on many in state guys who weren't super highly rated. Instead in many instances we would go to some other state and get a three star who wasn't very good.

I just hope Venables will give some local guys a chance even if they do end up washing out.
            Oklahoma doesn't always have five local kids every year who are OU-caliber good - especially when you consider that at least a couple of the state's elite guys might not be a great scheme fit Usually? Sure. But it's not every year. If you go back and look at the '20 and '21 classes... that upper end talent wasn't in the state. The offers reflect that it wasn't. Other years we'll have more than 5 in-state kids and you hope that over a four to five year period it balances out.

Comment

The King said that the State of OK will have 8 Blue-Chip recruits each year, back in the day when there weren't "stars". These days, with better coaching and better weight rooms with improved instruction, I'd say 10.

Comment

Originally posted by ab5sr View Post
                The King said that the State of OK will have 8 Blue-Chip recruits each year, back in the day when there weren't "stars". These days, with better coaching and better weight rooms with improved instruction, I'd say 10.
                We have nationally ranked football programs in our state. There's no reason not to build strong relationships with teams in the state. Even if we don't take half a team of Okies, we shouldn't be losing the best ones to outside programs as a general rule. It should be an anomaly.

Comment

Oklahoma doesn't always have five local kids every year who are OU-caliber good - especially when you consider that at least a couple of the state's elite guys might not be a great scheme fit Usually? Sure. But it's not every year. If you go back and look at the '20 and '21 classes... that upper end talent wasn't in the state. The offers reflect that it wasn't. Other years we'll have more than 5 in-state kids and you hope that over a four to five year period it balances out.
                  I don't think it is fair to evaluate the classes of '20 and '21 just yet but if we look at those two classes we have Colin Oliver and Pressley at OSU. Oliver may be All American before it's over. Pressley is as good or better than any receiver we have. Myles Slusher starts for Arkansas and would likely play at OU. AJ Green went over there and is in the rotation at RB.

Before those recruits graduate from their respective programs I'd bet there are going to be five guys that we could have taken.

Comment

I don't think it is fair to evaluate the classes of '20 and '21 just yet but if we look at those two classes we have Colin Oliver and Pressley at OSU. Oliver may be All American before it's over. Pressley is as good or better than any receiver we have. Myles Slusher starts for Arkansas and would likely play at OU. AJ Green went over there and is in the rotation at RB.

Before those recruits graduate from their respective programs I'd bet there are going to be five guys that we could have taken.
                    It's not fair to evaluate the end product for those two classes. Sure. I agree with that. We haven't seen what the lower-rated talent develops into, yet. It's completely fair to evaluate whether OU should have extended an offer. There are different ways to decide on that but I think the best one is to look at the offers in-state kids are getting. Are we looking the other way on kids who have elite offers? Or are we looking the other way on kids who have mid-level P5 offers?

The point I'm making with in-state recruiting is that (unlike Oklahoma State) OU cannot afford to sign a bunch of 3 star local kids to see which ones of them develop into All-American type players. More often than not, that approach to recruiting is going to end up with a worse product than signing a roster of blue chippers from around the country.

Comment

It's not fair to evaluate the end product for those two classes. Sure. I agree with that. We haven't seen what the lower-rated talent develops into, yet. It's completely fair to evaluate whether OU should have extended an offer. There are different ways to decide on that but I think the best one is to look at the offers in-state kids are getting. Are we looking the other way on kids who have elite offers? Or are we looking the other way on kids who have mid-level P5 offers?

The point I'm making with in-state recruiting is that (unlike Oklahoma State) OU cannot afford to sign a bunch of 3 star local kids to see which ones of them develop into All-American type players. More often than not, that approach to recruiting is going to end up with a worse product than signing a roster of blue chippers from around the country.
                      It just feels like a failure in talent eval by the last staff. At the very least, you could say they had a lousy eye for the value of in-state talent.

We'll have to see if Venables and his staff have a better eye.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerSpock View Post

Demographics of being in the south definitely plays to Clemson's advantage. S.C. has a population 5.1 million whereas OU has only 4.0 million. However when it comes to local state talent S.C.'s big advantage is the state is 25% Afro-American while Oklahoma is 7%. That creates a significant differential of about 1.0 million more A-As (1,280,532-289,961) in S.C.

Also if you look at the 24/7 Composite Recruiting Rankings 2011-2021 (1 page synopsis linked below) for the top 12 teams you will note that on average Clemson has out recruited for both the 5 year average and the 10 year average with Clemson averaging the #10 class for the last 10 years and OU the #12 class. For the last 5 years Clemson has averaged the #5 class and OU the #6 class. As would be expected the top 4 teams were Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and LSU with Georgia ranking above Ohio State on the 5 year average.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...de77ffba3d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population
                        I don't dispute the demographic numbers but does that in and of itself really explain the talent differences?

Comment

Originally posted by theresonly187 View Post

absolutely...
                          an out of state 4 star is far more likely to bolt after 1 year when they don't get immediate playing time...
                          an in-state 3 star ou fan will work hard to get on the field and will stick it out till the end...

Kind of related to this, but I feel like 5stars generally have that sense of entitlement about them. When a team only has one of them at different positions then they just don't put out the effort you would expect and it drags the whole team down because they still get to start despite performance. But places like Alabama that are loaded up with them then they have to compete to play. I think a team of 3-4s that want to be there and are competing for time would yield good results.

Comment

I would agree with you that we should probably get "blue chips" over three stars from Oklahoma. But I think we should look at three stars from Oklahoma (and Texas) more closely than three stars from other places outside our footprint.

In other words, look at a local kid before you offer a Miguel Edwards or Gary Simon, or a Jakyre Daly, or a Derek Green or a Noah Nelson, or a Jonathon Perkins. In the Riley era the only out of footprint three star who was any good was Asamoah. And we will see about Stutsman. The rest of them are not even at OU anymore.

Comment

OU cannot afford to sign a bunch of 3 star local kids to see which ones of them develop into All-American type players.
                              The OU staff shouldn't be signing a bunch of 3 stars just because they are 3 stars from Oklahoma or because they are 5 stars players from anywhere.

This is where it takes a skilled OU staff to properly evaluate each prospect on their future potential to become a great player.

It's clearly obvious that some coaching staffs around the nation are better at performing eveluations than others and that OU could have been doing a better job.

My hope is that OU's expanded football staff will let many fewer Okies and others slip though the cracks because I don't ever see OU signing an entier roster full of 4 and 5 star players.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                The OU staff shouldn't be signing a bunch of 3 stars just because they are 3 stars from Oklahoma or because they are 5 stars players from anywhere.

This is where it takes a skilled OU staff to properly evaluate each prospect on their future potential to become a great player.

It's clearly obvious that some coaching staffs around the nation are better at performing eveluations than others and that OU could have been doing a better job.

My hope is that OU's expanded football staff will let many fewer Okies and others slip though the cracks because I don't ever see OU signing an entier roster full of 4 and 5 star players.
                                OU's blue chip ratio has been climbing and is closing in on 70%. The whole mentality of "aww, shucks, we can't ever recruit like Alabama" is just misplaced. We can and will recruit like Alabama when we win a national title. There's plenty of talent in Oklahoma and Texas and when we win big our brand recruits itself nation-wide. Texas A&M just signed the #1 class in the country - in the same cycle that OU and Texas also had Top 10 classes. Switzer recruited Top 5 talent. Bob had multiple Top 5 classes. The issue with getting over the hump has been largely about being snake-bit (key injuries to us and not our opponent, NC games as road games, etc.) and bad coaching (we probably win NCs in '17 and '18 with a competent defense.) We haven't been fielding teams with dramatically less overall talent when we get to the big stage (excepting maybe the fluke injury free year of 2000 and to some extent in 2015.)

The problem with your outlook is that it's never accountable. 3 star kid who doesn't pan out? It's a problem when he's out of region and not when he's local. I never hear the "recruit more Okies" guys talk about the local kids who flamed out. 3 star Okie kid who pans out elsewhere? It's always a bad evaluation by the OU coaches. Sometimes a guy just develops late and a HS evaluation has nothing to do with it. At a certain point, you just have to acknowledge that some of this is a bit of a crapshoot and that it's statistically less of one when the kid we're signing is a blue chipper. OU is without question a Top 5 program all-time with ELITE financial resources and a great proximity one of the deepest talent pools in the country. Our football program is much more Alabama than it is Iowa.

I'd love to have as many Oklahoma kids as possible but there's a reason no coach at OU has ever embraced your theory about a recruiting "recipe."

Comment

I would agree with you that we should probably get "blue chips" over three stars from Oklahoma. But I think we should look at three stars from Oklahoma (and Texas) more closely than three stars from other places outside our footprint.

In other words, look at a local kid before you offer a Miguel Edwards or Gary Simon, or a Jakyre Daly, or a Derek Green or a Noah Nelson, or a Jonathon Perkins. In the Riley era the only out of footprint three star who was any good was Asamoah. And we will see about Stutsman. The rest of them are not even at OU anymore.
                                  As far as I know, we do look more closely at the local kids, and I think even Riley's staff was doing that. We offered Jordan Mukes early. We offered RSJ way before he blew up.

I also never hear those complaints going the other way when sometimes they could. I love Pat Fields as a person and a leader, but could we have landed a better 3 star safety out of state than him? Has Marcus Major panned out yet? If Brynden Walker never makes it onto the field for meaningful snaps, was that a bad signing?

Comment

OU's blue chip ratio has been climbing and is closing in on 70%. The whole mentality of "aww, shucks, we can't ever recruit like Alabama" is just misplaced. We can and will recruit like Alabama when we win a national title. There's plenty of talent in Oklahoma and Texas and when we win big our brand recruits itself nation-wide. Texas A&M just signed the #1 class in the country - in the same cycle that OU and Texas also had Top 10 classes. Switzer recruited Top 5 talent. Bob had multiple Top 5 classes. The issue with getting over the hump has been largely about being snake-bit (key injuries to us and not our opponent, NC games as road games, etc.) and bad coaching (we probably win NCs in '17 and '18 with a competent defense.) We haven't been fielding teams with dramatically less overall talent when we get to the big stage (excepting maybe the fluke injury free year of 2000 and to some extent in 2015.)

The problem with your outlook is that it's never accountable. 3 star kid who doesn't pan out? It's a problem when he's out of region and not when he's local. I never hear the "recruit more Okies" guys talk about the local kids who flamed out. 3 star Okie kid who pans out elsewhere? It's always a bad evaluation by the OU coaches. Sometimes a guy just develops late and a HS evaluation has nothing to do with it. At a certain point, you just have to acknowledge that some of this is a bit of a crapshoot and that it's statistically less of one when the kid we're signing is a blue chipper. OU is without question a Top 5 program all-time with ELITE financial resources and a great proximity one of the deepest talent pools in the country. Our football program is much more Alabama than it is Iowa.

I'd love to have as many Oklahoma kids as possible but there's a reason no coach at OU has ever embraced your theory about a recruiting "recipe."

You fail to account for the great evaluations that some OU coaching staffs have done and that this is as much art as it is skill.
                                    You also fail to acknowledge the poor development of many recent players who were highly ranked. Better coaches make a difference in finding the right types of players.

The problem with what you want is that even when OU has been as its very best OU has never been able to recruit the type of roster that Ablama has in recent years and is extremely unlikely to ever do it for very real demographic reason's.

There are very real reasons why Venables is changing the OU culture and why he wants players who want to be at OU instead of the 5 star bust that we have seen far too often come though OU because they think it's their best ticket to the NFL.

Insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results

OU has tried without winning national titles to recruit your way. It's time for a change, because your way has failed to earn OU a national title at OU for over 2 decades, in spite of 4 Heisman QB's.

Venables appears like he will be recruiting Oklahoma like I have wanted all along. There are very good reasons why he is doing this. I will trust him completely. Brent has had great teachers. He understands the phycology of a team and how this blends together in a recipe...You clearly do not.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post

I don't dispute the demographic numbers but does that in and of itself really explain the talent differences?
                                      Definitely not the only factor but absolutely a major contributing factor. Another factor built in side of the demographics is the southern state having the largest concentration of African-American population base who likely comprise about 70% of the top college talent.
                                      Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-30-2022, 07:45 AM.

Comment

If the story is true that Oklahoma wanted Bob to unretire, then this woukd have never happened.

Comment

As far as I know, we do look more closely at the local kids, and I think even Riley's staff was doing that. We offered Jordan Mukes early. We offered RSJ way before he blew up.

I also never hear those complaints going the other way when sometimes they could. I love Pat Fields as a person and a leader, but could we have landed a better 3 star safety out of state than him? Has Marcus Major panned out yet? If Brynden Walker never makes it onto the field for meaningful snaps, was that a bad signing?
                                          Certainly, it works both ways but Pat Fields was a multi year starter. Marcus Major should get his chance this season. Brynden Walker was hurt all season, played a lot as a freshman and got snaps in the bowl game this year against Oregon. So jury is still out on him. However, they are all still on the team (or in Fields case was here 5 years).

I have no problem with going far away for the four and five star types. But I think for marginal talent we should stay in our area in general and in our state in particular.

Maybe this last batch of players that have made AA and all conference at other places is just a fluke and things will self correct. But if we go another five years missing on guys like we did the last five then I'd say we have a problem.

Comment

Keep in mind you are debating with the guy who claimed OU's strategy in everything they did was to gain admittance to the B1G.
                                            Live Free or Die!

Comment

No matter what the star ranking is, they still need to be the right player's that fit into the programs culture.
                                              From virtually all accounts including players / recruits Venables is building a better culture at OU.

This is evidence of why OU needs a better culture, better evaluations and better player development.
                                              The basic problem of high attrition and under performance has recurred to many times.

Oklahoma Football: Where the 2019 class lands in ESPN’s re-rank (usatoday.com)

Back in 2019, ESPN had the class ranked No. 4 in the country at the time of signing. Buoyed by the transfer arrival of Jalen Hurts and the commitment of the top quarterback in the class Spencer Rattler, this group has shown some promise, but hasn’t really taken over as the top players on the Oklahoma Sooners. As such, in ESPN’s re-rank of the 2019 recruiting classes (ESPN+), the Oklahoma Sooners have fallen to No. 10. The Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide flipped the top two spots and the Ohio State Buckeyes saw a huge jump from No. 16 to No. 3 in the re-ranking.

This top-five class didn’t quite meet expectations but certainly flashed. Transfer QB Jalen Hurts delivered, and highly touted Spencer Rattler looked to be the next superstar Sooners QB coming off a promising 2020 season. It was short-lived, as he was replaced and transferred. Five-star WR Jadon Haselwood most closely met high expectations in 2021 when he led the team in receptions, but he will be playing elsewhere (Arkansas) in 2022 as well. – Haubert, ESPN

Of the top five players in 247Sports rankings from 2019, only Theo Wease remains with the program heading into 2022. Jadon Haselwood (Arkansas), Spencer Rattler (South Carolina), and Austin Stogner (South Carolina) each transferred out since the end of the 2021 regular season. Trejan Bridges is dealing with legal troubles after an alleged armed robbery that saw him dismissed from the team in the Spring.

The other significant contributor from this class (so far) was Rhamondre Stevenson, who was used as part of the rotation with Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks in 2019. A suspension limited his work in the 2020 season, but his return rejuvenated the Oklahoma Sooners’ offense, helping them overcome two early-season losses and win the Big 12 title. Off to the NFL, he was Pro Football Focus’ highest-graded rookie running back in 2021.

There are still significant contributors on the roster with Woodi Washington arguably the top player remaining from the class. Theo Wease has been really good for the Sooners, tying for the team lead in receptions in 2020 before a knee injury kept him out of 2021. He’ll have a shot to once again be one of Oklahoma’s lead receivers in his return to the field in 2022.

Jeremiah Criddell and Marcus Stripling have shown some promise and there’s the possibility that Stripling could be the next man up at defensive end with Nik Bonitto and Isaiah Thomas headed to the NFL.

The rest of the class is still largely unproven, but with 12 starters lost via the NFL draft or the transfer portal, there are opportunities for these now-veterans of the team to make a significant impact in 2022 and beyond.
                                              Last edited by OU48A; 01-30-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Exactly. I know we liked AJ green but at DB right? We should’ve went after all those guys hard. They would all be starters here early in their careers.

I was annoyed we didn’t go after Gavin Freeman too. I saw we got a crystal ball for him this week. Sure would be nice to flip him from TT.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerSpock View Post

Definitely not the only factor but absolutely a major contributing factor. Another factor built in side of the demographics is the southern state having the largest concentration of African-American population base who likely comprise about 70% of the top college talent.
                                                  If it were due to the regional availability of a pool of talented black athletes wouldn't we expect the SEC to be a powerhouse basketball conference also?

Comment

The people who cover OU football recruiting see and hear about the changes being made.

Comment

Wowww…Gavin Freeman takes a PWO (preferred walk on) spot at OU. Flipping from a full ride from TT. He’s betting on himself. That’s a huge get for a PWO!
                                                      “18 year old dream come true... Beyond blessed to have accepted a PWO from The University Of Oklahoma!❤️

Comment

Originally posted by Bigpoppa85 View Post
                                                        Wowww…Gavin Freeman takes a PWO (preferred walk on) spot at OU. Flipping from a full ride from TT. He’s betting on himself. That’s a huge get for a PWO!
                                                        Good for him. What is the difference between a PFO and a regular walk-on?

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

​​​​
                                                          Timing and access. Regular walk on’s can’t start until school starts. At least that’s how it was years ago.

Comment

A Regular Walkon is a Baker Mayfield?

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

​​​​
                                                              Preferred walk ons get a roster spot. I also think there is a limit on the number of preferred walk ons a team can have. A regular walk on. They don't have to take you and they can get rid of you if you are a waste of space.

Comment

Anyone know if Freeman will be on campus this spring? Looks like an exciting punt returner as well as receiver if only 5'9".

Comment

Originally posted by 5thWave View Post

Anyone know if Freeman will be on campus this spring? Looks like an exciting punt returner as well as receiver if only 5'9".
                                                                  I don’t know for sure. But I think he will wait until this summer since OU classes have started. I imagine if he was an EE (early enrollee) he would’ve already been on campus at Texas Tech.

Yes, he will definitely compete for returning duties in addition to a slot role. He is definitely in the mold of Wes Welker….quick, agile, and explosive.

I have a feeling he will earn a scholarship next year.

Comment

I don’t know for sure. But I think he will wait until this summer since OU classes have started. I imagine if he was an EE (early enrollee) he would’ve already been on campus at Texas Tech.

Yes, he will definitely compete for returning duties in addition to a slot role. He is definitely in the mold of Wes Welker….quick, agile, and explosive.

The kids highlight tape is ridiculous. He has football speed and quickness. Prototype slot guy. He already has interest from the Pats.

Comment

Originally posted by OB2.0 View Post

The kids highlight tape is ridiculous. He has football speed and quickness. Prototype slot guy. He already has interest from the Pats.
                                                                      Dude may well turn out to be Wes Welker number 6 but we need to consider he's running against pretty bad competition. If he ends up as good as Stoops, we should be happy.

Comment

Hopefully he can bulk up like Welker was able to do and not lose his speed and agility. If he can, it would make him more durable and tougher.

He broke several records that Welker had at HH.
                                                                        This looks like a great pick up for a PWO that we may not have gained if Riley was still at OU.

Let's not forget that Sterling Shepard played for HH and is having a nice NFL career.

Freeman is being compared favorably to Shepard and Welker by HH people.

Comment

Comment

I was shocked that OSU wasn’t all over Freeman. I understand they have Presley in the same class and that they’re similar players. But having Presley AND Freeman on the field at the same time would’ve been difficult to defend. Definitely can’t cover those particular slots with LBs. Matchup nightmare on routes and jet sweep packages.

They, like Riley, overthought it.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Dude may well turn out to be Wes Welker number 6 but we need to consider he's running against pretty bad competition. If he ends up as good as Stoops, we should be happy.
                                                                              Oh I will never claim to be some expert talent evaluator. I’m just a fan. But it’s fun and impressive to watch a guy moving like he is controlled by a joystick and then just outrun people. My bold prediction is that he is going to be fun to watch when he gets on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by OB2.0 View Post

Oh I will never claim to be some expert talent evaluator. I’m just a fan. But it’s fun and impressive to watch a guy moving like he is controlled by a joystick and then just outrun people. My bold prediction is that he is going to be fun to watch when he gets on the field.
                                                                                Ya it's like putting Madden on rookie mode.

Comment

You know things are going well and better than before when you keep reading things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post

If it were due to the regional availability of a pool of talented black athletes wouldn't we expect the SEC to be a powerhouse basketball conference also?
                                                                                    Relative to the Big 12 supposedly the strongest basketball conference they may be. As they have just won the 2022 Big 12/SEC challenge 6-4 with the Big 12's only challenge win 2016-2022 coming in 2018. At least the SEC took the top 2 Big 12 (Baylor & Kansas) teams to the woodshed.

https://www.si.com/college/virginia/...hallenge-recap

Comment

They have been talking a lot about Oklahoma talent on the radio. This is a partial list of players from a few Oklahoma towns.
                                                                                      It includes some of the better players who have ever played for OU. Its good IMHO that the new staff will not be ignoring and slow playing some of the instate players as has been done sometimes before.

Comment

They have been talking a lot about Oklahoma talent on the radio. This is a partial list of players from a few Oklahoma towns.
                                                                                        It includes some of the better players who have ever played for OU. Its good IMHO that the new staff will not be ignoring and slow playing some of the instate players as has been done sometimes before.

Let's see what the map looks like once we know which season will be OU's first in the SEC and after the first full recruiting cycle for us as a member of the SEC is complete.

When it was announced that OU would join the SEC, people said it would make it easier for OU to poach players from current SEC states.

The opposite is also true. It will make it easier for current SEC teams to poach players from Oklahoma. Coaches from current SEC teams will be wining and dining Oklahoma high school coaches like they've never been wined and dined before.

Live Free or Die!

Comment

I don't see DEWAR on the list! ....
                                                                                          Everyone knew, even at a young age, that Ronnell Lewis was a bad bad man!

Comment

Originally posted by Thulsa Doom View Post

I don't see DEWAR on the list! ....
                                                                                            Everyone knew, even at a young age, that Ronnell Lewis was a bad bad man!

Yep...the list missed several good players....like the Burris brother's.

Comment

Looks like Eufala is the clear winner

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

The opposite is also true. It will make it easier for current SEC teams to poach players from Oklahoma. Coaches from current SEC teams will be wining and dining Oklahoma high school coaches like they've never been wined and dined before.
                                                                                                I'm curious about this comment. You have been insisting that OU isn't taking very many Oklahoma players because there isn't much talent in the state. So why would SEC coaches invest a lot of resources here if there aren't more than four or five top notch recruits in any given year?

Arkie and Mizzou already recruit here and take a lot of guys who you (and others) claim aren't OU level recruits. Do you really think the SEC big dogs will recruit here more than they already do and go for those types of players?

Comment

Do you really think....
                                                                                                  no....he doesn't

but it will be interesting to see how he attempts to dig himself out of this hole...

Comment

I'm curious about this comment. You have been insisting that OU isn't taking very many Oklahoma players because there isn't much talent in the state. So why would SEC coaches invest a lot of resources here if there aren't more than four or five top notch recruits in any given year?

Arkie and Mizzou already recruit here and take a lot of guys who you (and others) claim aren't OU level recruits. Do you really think the SEC big dogs will recruit here more than they already do and go for those types of players?
                                                                                                    I didn't say anything about the "big dogs". I'm thinking more along the lines of the middle of the pack teams.

Arkansas, Mizzou, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, etc. They'll be poaching more mid-level talent from Oklahoma - the guys OU uses as filler. It will hurt OSU and Tulsa more than it will OU.

If Oklahoma produces a 5 star, then all the big dogs will want that guy, but they already do.
                                                                                                    Live Free or Die!

Comment

''Arkie and Mizzou'' do sign and develop Okies but so do several others including osu and Tulsa
                                                                                                      There always seem to be a few Okies every year that OU overlooked but were then developed somewhere else and became good enough to be drafted.Thankfully Brent understands the development of players process very well. Water the bamboo.

Nowhere as anyone said that OU shouldn't attempt to sign some of the great players from out of state.... but recruiting a roster full of these types of players has never occurred when OU has won national title's. More Okies = a better culture, where the team comes first for a lot more players.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1