Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaii coach Todd Graham resigns amid claims of 'verbal abuse' by players

cites family and health reasons

Hawaii announced Friday night that coach Todd Graham is resigning after two seasons on the job. His departure follows a mass exodus from within the team's roster amid allegations that he fostered a poor culture within the program. Graham, 57, posted an 11-11 record after taking over for Nick Rolovich following the 2019 season.

"Todd informed me of his decision to resign," Hawaii athletics director David Matlin said in a statement. "We enjoyed many successes under his leadership even as he faced pandemic conditions, the withdrawal of Aloha Stadium, and the prohibition of any fans for nearly all his time with us. Todd's tireless efforts as a coach have made a positive impact on many student-athletes. We have talked at length, and it is clear he has taken this action so that the football program can thrive moving forward."

Hawaii's football program was the topic of a state senate meeting earlier this month as players, including key pieces such as starting quarterback Chevan Cordeiro and leading rusher Dae Dae Hunter, continued to leave the program. Graham's son, a defensive back, was also among a total of 20 players from the program in the transfer portal as of Friday.

The wave of Hawaii players entering the portal followed a December report from SFGate that outlined cultural issues within the program. One anonymous Hawai'i player told SFGate that, "I would go as far to say it's verbal abuse the way he talks to guys."

Because Graham resigned, he won't be owed for the remaining three seasons, according to Hawaii's statement. The school is launching a search for its next head coach "immediately." Though recruiting at Hawaii can be a challenge because of its remote location, the program has produced some quality teams in modern times.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ealth-reasons/

Graham was always job hopping and seemingly burning bridges everywhere he went. I don’t think he had a positive reputation in coaching circles. Smart guy that knows football but not someone you could trust.

The most damning part was when his own son entered the transfer portal. I mean how bad does it have to be to want to transfer away from your own father AND move away from Hawaii?? Shit, if I knew I didn’t have a shot at playing pro ball, I’d love a chance to live 5 years in Hawaii mostly all expenses paid.

Bang a bunch of students and unlimited hot tourists while living in paradise??? Sign me up at 18!

Comment

PAC12 Coach of the Year in 2013. Can’t wait to see if TBOW ever lands a moment of what I’m sure some would call “Honor”?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigpoppa85 View Post
        Graham was always job hopping and seemingly burning bridges everywhere he went. I don’t think he had a positive reputation in coaching circles. Smart guy that knows football but not someone you could trust.

The most damning part was when his own son entered the transfer portal. I mean how bad does it have to be to want to transfer away from your own father AND move away from Hawaii?? Shit, if I knew I didn’t have a shot at playing pro ball, I’d love a chance to live 5 years in Hawaii mostly all expenses paid.

Bang a bunch of students and unlimited hot tourists while living in paradise??? Sign me up at 18!
        We have a QB coming here who left Hawaii for Florida.

Comment

I'm 57, I'm making $800,000, and I'm coaching football, where average is considered successful, and I'm living in paradise. The last thing I'm gonna do is give them a reason to want me gone. It's Hawaii for Christ sakes, you can abuse them all you want and they're still gonna be average football players. Dude is lolo.

Comment

What a bunch of "whinging" Nancy's I wonder how these "football" players would ever survive in basic training back in the 60's and 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery Pete View Post
              I'm 57, I'm making $800,000, and I'm coaching football, where average is considered successful, and I'm living in paradise. The last thing I'm gonna do is give them a reason to want me gone. It's Hawaii for Christ sakes, you can abuse them all you want and they're still gonna be average football players. Dude is lolo.
              Not sure if you guys have been to Oahu lately. I did in the summer of 2019, and it is quite the shit hole. I had been there several times before, and it has gone way downhill.
              Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Not sure if you guys have been to Oahu lately. I did in the summer of 2019, and it is quite the shit hole. I had been there several times before, and it has gone way downhill.
                You may be right, I haven't been in years but let's think for a minute. Mesquite, Texas (which is where he's probably heading with his tail between his legs) or shit hole Oahu. I'm still thinking, I'm still thinking...not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery Pete View Post

You may be right, I haven't been in years but let's think for a minute. Mesquite, Texas (which is where he's probably heading with his tail between his legs) or shit hole Oahu. I'm still thinking, I'm still thinking...not really.
                  He was born in Mesquite. You think that is where he'll go next?

He's probably made enough money in his career that he can afford to retire to somewhere along the Gulf Coast if that is the kind of weather he prefers.

Anyway, back to Oahu - when we went there in 2019 we rented a house on the beach for two weeks far north on the west side of the island. It was a half hour drive from there to Honolulu.

There are beach parks all the way along the coast road, and they are all over-run by homeless people.

Live Free or Die!

Comment

Sucks. Dude was a helluva coach at Tulsa.

Comment

He's probably made enough money in his career that he can afford to retire to somewhere along the Gulf Coast if that is the kind of weather he prefers.

Anyway, back to Oahu - when we went there in 2019 we rented a house on the beach for two weeks far north on the west side of the island. It was a half hour drive from there to Honolulu.

There are beach parks all the way along the coast road, and they are all over-run by homeless people.
                      I'm sorry you didn't do Hawaii right, what a bummer.

Comment

Yeah there was a lot of controversy with states emmigrating their homeless into Hawaii.

Comment

I didn't know Graham was in Hawaii. He keeps working his way farther and farther west. What's his next stop? Do they play American football in Japan or South Korea?

Comment

He needs to move back to mainland United States. Even Dog the Bounty Hunter is working on the mainland.

Comment

Oahu is a dump, too many navy weirdos and over populated. It’s not Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Cbsooner View Post
                                Ugh. Maui is paradise. Spent my honeymoon there this summer. Talked it up so much, my mom is currently at the same hotel we were at. She sent pictures and daaaamn is it nice

Comment

Ugh. Maui is paradise. Spent my honeymoon there this summer. Talked it up so much, my mom is currently at the same hotel we were at. She sent pictures and daaaamn is it nice
                                  Yeah Maui is nice. Oahu where the U of H is is a dystopian dump

Comment

the horror of retiring anywhere in Hawaii after being a college football coach for the last 15 years...

Comment

The last time I went to Honolulu was probably 10 years before your trip there. There were signs of homeless living on the beaches but it wasn't all that bad at that time. If some of these people migrated there it makes me wonder how they afforded their trip there. I wonder what they were expecting to find or was it just preferring a place like that versus southern California and southern Florida beaches? While I do understand the plight of the people it's just too bad the local authorities allow this sort of thing to ruin their beaches for everyone else.

Comment

That is disappointing. I haven’t been there (other than a quick flight change) in 15 years. I could see some homelessness and crime then. Sad that is has gotten that way

Comment

Originally posted by boomerdad53 View Post
                                          What a bunch of "whinging" Nancy's I wonder how these "football" players would ever survive in basic training back in the 60's and 70's.
                                          Oh look, another mediocre middle-aged turd with a hot take!

Me personally, I think speaking out against bullies takes more courage, than just taking it and not saying anything for fear of retribution.

Also, maybe the soldiers in BASIC in the 60s and 70s should have said something, then maybe we would have avoided one of the dumbest, most needlessly destructive wars in the history of our planet.

Anyway, your take is shit, and so are you.

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post

The last time I went to Honolulu was probably 10 years before your trip there. There were signs of homeless living on the beaches but it wasn't all that bad at that time. If some of these people migrated there it makes me wonder how they afforded their trip there. I wonder what they were expecting to find or was it just preferring a place like that versus southern California and southern Florida beaches? While I do understand the plight of the people it's just too bad the local authorities allow this sort of thing to ruin their beaches for everyone else.
                                            So, your main concern about Hawaii's homeless problem is that the police aren't harassing them enough for hurting the aesthetic of overpriced tourist spots?

What in the ever living ass is wrong with you?

Comment

Originally posted by manateepower View Post

Me personally, I think speaking out against bullies takes more courage, than just taking it and not saying anything for fear of retribution.

Also, maybe the soldiers in BASIC in the 60s and 70s should have said something, then maybe we would have avoided one of the dumbest, most needlessly destructive wars in the history of our planet.

Do you get this offended when your crazy old uncle tells you he walked six miles to school each way in three feet of snow?

It's what old people do, son.

You guys will do the same thing. Except for you guys it will be something like "when I was young we had to use our own hands on a joystick to play video games.... None of this telepathy bullshit"..

Comment

Ah look, manatee is back with his political takes. Fantastic…

He acknowledged their plight while also pointing out how destructive homeless people are to an area. That’s fair. He never said my main concern with homeless people is____. You, like always, jumped to conclusions anytime you have a chance to spew your political rhetoric.

I’m not middle aged nor a SJW. Not a Democrat nor Republican. Just a regular guy somewhere in the middle and I think your time would be better spent volunteering at your local homeless shelter than trying to bully people on an OU football site.

Comment

first we did say something and did a little bit more to stop that damn war and being yelled at by your coach is nothing compared to the abuse that used to go on at football practices and finally I'm not some middle aged turd I'm a well into being a senior citizen turd

Comment

So, your main concern about Hawaii's homeless problem is that the police aren't harassing them enough for hurting the aesthetic of overpriced tourist spots?

What in the ever living ass is wrong with you?
                                                    If you can't afford to be there then maybe you shouldn't be there. You have homeless people and you have people that choose to be homeless. I'm sure you wouldn't want your kids playing in the sand when it could contain thrown away syringes and needles. If the locals don't enforce laws governing homeless squatting on their beaches then what's next will be tent cities, sewage problems, crime, etc.. and there won't be any tourism. Which would you prefer, tourism and trade or dealing with the financial drain these people are going to occure on you?

Comment

Was his S&C coach Adam James?

Comment

Ah look, manatee is back with his political takes.
                                                        Manatee is one of those one-dimensional people who filter everything through the prism of politics. He's also consumed with self-loathing.

Comment

Buncha anti football pussies if you ask me

Comment

There's a fine line between being an asshole and being a coach. There's a fine line between being coachable and being a pussy.

I bet both lines were crossed

Comment

I may not agree with everything (well,actually anything) Manatee posts but he has convinced me that reincarnation is real. No one could achieve that level of stupidity in one lifetime.

Comment

Graham might be a decent coach, but his constant job hopping seemed to have burned a lot of bridges in the business. When you use up all of your goodwill trying to cover for your job hopping, you don't have any left when you hit real trouble. He will probably end up in Saban's rehab for coaches and surface somewhere else in a few years.

Comment

If he would’ve just been patient, he could’ve had better big program opportunities offered. Instead, he took every incremental step. Rice, Tulane, Pitt, ASU, right? Maybe stick around at one of those places long enough and you could’ve avoided a few stepping stones and rebuilding jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by boomerdad53 View Post

first we did say something and did a little bit more to stop that damn war and being yelled at by your coach is nothing compared to the abuse that used to go on at football practices and finally I'm not some middle aged turd I'm a well into being a senior citizen turd
                                                                    Well then according to your logic, then your generation was a bunch of "whiners", See how stupid that sounds?

Also, just because something used to be worse, doesn't mean it's ok, and it doesn't mean he is justified.

Comment

If you can't afford to be there then maybe you shouldn't be there. You have homeless people and you have people that choose to be homeless. I'm sure you wouldn't want your kids playing in the sand when it could contain thrown away syringes and needles. If the locals don't enforce laws governing homeless squatting on their beaches then what's next will be tent cities, sewage problems, crime, etc.. and there won't be any tourism. Which would you prefer, tourism and trade or dealing with the financial drain these people are going to occure on you?
                                                                      1. O ok, so the homeless, people should just leave Hawaii then? Who is going to pay for their travel, relocation, etc., and then what are they going to do when they get to this new city? They are still homeless, and just because you can't personally see them doesn't mean it's not a problem anymore.

2. Of course I wouldn't want my kids playing in contaminated sand. I think we should invest in our country where there are more resources for the homeless via shelter, opportunities, mental health services to where they don't have to squat on the beach to survive, but harassing them and throwing them in jail is not solving that problem, in fact, it makes it worse.

3. The problem with laws against homeless squatting, is that these people are fucking homeless, they cant just "get a house" The United States does such an atrocious job of caring for people who fall through the cracks, that they have no recourse, or any place to go (other than the occasional underfunded shelter that is woefully inadequate to housing everyone in need.

4. Lol, at the homeless people being a "financial drain". You think that population is raking in money? If you are really worried about financial drains, then you should direct your ire at millionaire exploiting tax loopholes, and billions spent towards unnecessary "defense programs", if youre truly worried about the financial drain, otherwise, it just sounds like you hate poor people.

5. Criminalizing homelessness will not solve the problem, mental health programs, financial aid, and subsidized housing will. (Which countries like denmark, norway, and others do, and do not nearly have a homelessness problem like the U.S. has.

Comment

Lincoln, is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

I'm sorry you didn't do Hawaii right, what a bummer.
                                                                          I've "done Hawaii right" numerous times, Dipshit. Given a choice, I would have chosen Maui. Been there before, and did it right.

Unfortunately, my stepson is not stationed in Maui. He's stationed in Oahu. I flew my wife, his two brothers, a sister-in-law and a nephew there specifically so we could visit him and his wife.

We rented a large house on the beach. It was nice, but everything around us was a dump. We weren't there for the scenery. We were there for family time.

Yep, that was another thing. Traffic around Honolulu is bad. My stepson is stationed at the Navy computer / telecom site up the mountain and north of Honolulu. Much nicer up there, and halfway to the North Shore area. North Shore was completely different than what we saw on the west shore.

I've been to both Maui and Kauai. Kauai is OK. More rural. Nice golf courses. Instead of homeless people there are lots of homeless chickens running around all over the place. It is kind of humorous.

Maui definitely the nicest of the three. I've never been to the Big Island, but my brother has several times and he really likes it there.

The story I was told is that they were given one-way tickets paid for by the states which they were leaving.
                                                                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

Interesting that he resigned instead of forcing them to fully investigate and fire him. He's found an entirely new way to quit on a team after a short time. I applaud all seniors who continue to grow as an advocate of life long learning.

Comment

#39

I've "done Hawaii right" numerous times, Dipshit. Given a choice, I would have chosen Maui. Been there before, and did it right.

Unfortunately, my stepson is not stationed in Maui. He's stationed in Oahu. I flew my wife, his two brothers, a sister-in-law and a nephew there specifically so we could visit him and his wife.

We rented a large house on the beach. It was nice, but everything around us was a dump. We weren't there for the scenery. We were there for family time.

Yep, that was another thing. Traffic around Honolulu is bad. My stepson is stationed at the Navy computer / telecom site up the mountain and north of Honolulu. Much nicer up there, and halfway to the North Shore area. North Shore was completely different than what we saw on the west shore.

I've been to both Maui and Kauai. Kauai is OK. More rural. Nice golf courses. Instead of homeless people there are lots of homeless chickens running around all over the place. It is kind of humorous.

Maui definitely the nicest of the three. I've never been to the Big Island, but my brother has several times and he really likes it there.

The story I was told is that they were given one-way tickets paid for by the states which they were leaving.

This is a couple of years old, but probably still accurate. Some of the big cities...LA, Chicago, Dallas, etc etc...used to give homeless people like $500 and a one way bus ticket to another city. The homeless would take the bus ticket and the money and go to the next city, stay there until they had gone through the $500, then get another $500 and a ticket from that city to somewhere else, rinse repeat.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

This is a couple of years old, but probably still accurate. Some of the big cities...LA, Chicago, Dallas, etc etc...used to give homeless people like $500 and a one way bus ticket to another city. The homeless would take the bus ticket and the money and go to the next city, stay there until they had gone through the $500, then get another $500 and a ticket from that city to somewhere else, rinse repeat.
                                                                                Decades ago, Bay Area cities would do that with the mentally impaired/homeless, sending them up to Humboldt County. The result was what you would expect -- a lot of strange people in a small, isolated area.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post

Decades ago, Bay Area cities would do that with the mentally impaired/homeless, sending them up to Humboldt County. The result was what you would expect -- a lot of strange people in a small, isolated area.
                                                                                  There was a history forum I used to frequent, it no longer exists. Someone on that forum posted links to some stories, and even a webpage with a map that would track the homeless people being sent around the country. That's how I found out about it. It was crazy to watch Dallas sending 50 people to Phoenix, while at the same time Phoenix was sending 50 people to Chicago, while Chicago was sending 50 people to Dallas. It was like musical chairs with the homeless.

Comment

#42

1. O ok, so the homeless, people should just leave Hawaii then? Who is going to pay for their travel, relocation, etc., and then what are they going to do when they get to this new city? They are still homeless, and just because you can't personally see them doesn't mean it's not a problem anymore.

2. Of course I wouldn't want my kids playing in contaminated sand. I think we should invest in our country where there are more resources for the homeless via shelter, opportunities, mental health services to where they don't have to squat on the beach to survive, but harassing them and throwing them in jail is not solving that problem, in fact, it makes it worse.

3. The problem with laws against homeless squatting, is that these people are fucking homeless, they cant just "get a house" The United States does such an atrocious job of caring for people who fall through the cracks, that they have no recourse, or any place to go (other than the occasional underfunded shelter that is woefully inadequate to housing everyone in need.

4. Lol, at the homeless people being a "financial drain". You think that population is raking in money? If you are really worried about financial drains, then you should direct your ire at millionaire exploiting tax loopholes, and billions spent towards unnecessary "defense programs", if youre truly worried about the financial drain, otherwise, it just sounds like you hate poor people.

5. Criminalizing homelessness will not solve the problem, mental health programs, financial aid, and subsidized housing will. (Which countries like denmark, norway, and others do, and do not nearly have a homelessness problem like the U.S. has.
                                                                                    1. Who paid for their travel to Hawaii?
                                                                                    2. Health centers, shelters are available in most large cities. What makes it worse is when the country is being overran by illegals and the current government is doing little to slow it down.
                                                                                    3. There are the legitimate homeless people that don't have other options of help and I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about the people that choose to live like homeless people. Some people don't want to deal with the responsibilities like a regular job, paying taxes, and paying their own way through life. Those are the people I'm talking about.
                                                                                    4. You missed my point. Remember the group of illegals that lived under the bridge at the border crossing? Someone had to feed them, someone had to provide portable toilets and cleaning services, clothing, etc. When people are living on beaches or anywhere else someone is having to pay. Someone is having to clean up their messes. Someone is providing bathrooms. I don't see how you think building better shelters is the responsibility of the local governing bodies. ..Any businessman will have tax writeoffs. When someone mentions millionaires and exploiting tax loopholes I laugh. Those "loopholes" are there because the tax system allows for it. .. If not for those defense programs you'd be forced to learn either Chinese or Russian.. or both. It's a strong defense that keeps us free.
                                                                                    5. Unfortunately for the homeless this isn't Denmark, Norway, or any of those others. It's what it is. Look whats happened to some of the California cities and their homeless problems. That's what happens when their politicians are more concerned about harvesting voters so they can stay in office than helping their homeless. Sounds like the homeless on Hawaiian beaches would be better off if they moved to Denmark or Norway.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post

Yup. Gotta have your head on swivel in that part of Cali. People been disappearing up there for a long time

Comment

#44
                                                                                        I've been wanting to visit Hawaii, but it seem like they can't get the USS Arizona Memorial to stay open.

Dock issue suspends USS Arizona Memorial tours again

Hawaii Public Radio | By Associated Press
                                                                                        Published December 13, 2021 at 12:59 PM HST
                                                                                        .
                                                                                        HONOLULU — The USS Arizona Memorial has problems again with its shoreside dock, which means that tours to the popular Pearl Harbor site are suspended.

The National Park Service said staff members at Pearl Harbor were alerted to an issue with the shoreside dock on Sunday. A spokesperson didn't immediately return messages from The Associated Press on Monday asking for details about the dock's problem.

The park service suspended tours via Navy boats to the memorial built in the harbor.

The site is among the most visited in Hawaiʻi, and pays homage to the 1,177 lives lost on the USS Arizona in the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

The memorial was closed for 15 months after cracks were found on the dock in 2018. Exceptionally high tides in 2017 are believed to have dislodged concrete blocks sunk into Pearl Harbor’s sediment and connected by chains to the dock. The repair project cost more than $2.1 million.

It was closed again in September for two weeks for emergency safety repairs.

The Pearl Harbor National Memorial visitor center, museums and other services remain open.
                                                                                        Tags

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by LesPaul View Post

Yup. Gotta have your head on swivel in that part of Cali. People been disappearing up there for a long time
                                                                                          Yeah, definitely. I went to school up there, and a grad student went for a jog in the forest while i was there. She didn't make it out alive. They blamed it on a mental patient, but most people had their doubts.

Everyone knew if you went in the forest you gotta keep to the trails. Pot growers had a tendency to plant claymore mines alongside their fields. They took poaching reeeeal seriously.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                                                                            I've been wanting to visit Hawaii, but it seem like they can't get the USS Arizona Memorial to stay open.

Dock issue suspends USS Arizona Memorial tours again

Hawaii Public Radio | By Associated Press
                                                                                            Published December 13, 2021 at 12:59 PM HST
                                                                                            .
                                                                                            HONOLULU — The USS Arizona Memorial has problems again with its shoreside dock, which means that tours to the popular Pearl Harbor site are suspended.

The National Park Service said staff members at Pearl Harbor were alerted to an issue with the shoreside dock on Sunday. A spokesperson didn't immediately return messages from The Associated Press on Monday asking for details about the dock's problem.

The park service suspended tours via Navy boats to the memorial built in the harbor.

The site is among the most visited in Hawaiʻi, and pays homage to the 1,177 lives lost on the USS Arizona in the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

The memorial was closed for 15 months after cracks were found on the dock in 2018. Exceptionally high tides in 2017 are believed to have dislodged concrete blocks sunk into Pearl Harbor’s sediment and connected by chains to the dock. The repair project cost more than $2.1 million.

It was closed again in September for two weeks for emergency safety repairs.

The Pearl Harbor National Memorial visitor center, museums and other services remain open.
                                                                                            Tags
                                                                                            Unless you just want specifically to see the memorial, don't go to Oahu. Go to Maui.
                                                                                            Live Free or Die!

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Graham probably was doing some of these type things. "You're TOAST!"

Comment

#48
                                                                                                https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                                                                                                  https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/

Here is the follow-up:

Live Free or Die!

Comment

#50

Here is the follow-up:

If that's the case, he has a point. That level of micromanagement isn't good for any program, nor is Hawaii successful enough in recent years to make such demands.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1