Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-American HS football recruits vote on who has college football’s best facilities

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-American HS football recruits vote on who has college football’s best facilities

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/america...183003335.html

College football recruiting is somewhat of an arms race. Coaching chops, player development and scheme fit usually take center stage in a prospect’s recruitment, but sometimes, a program’s facilities are what seal the deal.

Naturally, some of the best — and richest — programs in college football have the best facilities. State-of-the-art facilities are abundant across the Power 5 landscape and while the glitz and glamour of top-end facilities aren’t the end-all, be-all for some recruits, they can completely turn the tide of the way of a program is viewed by the nation’s elite.

247Sports recently polled recruits at the All-American Bowl and one of the topics centered around college football’s top facilities. Here are the college football programs recruits think have the best facilities in the nation.

No. 1: Oregon

Daniel Dunn-USA TODAY Sports

Votes: 12

No. 2: Georgia

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

Votes: 11

No. 3: Notre Dame

Syndication: South Bend Tribune

Votes: 9

No. 4: Alabama

Staff Photo/Gary Cosby Jr.

Votes: 8

T-5: Ohio State

Syndication: The Columbus Dispatch

Votes: 6

T-5: Clemson

Syndication: The Greenville News

Votes: 6

No. 7: Michigan

Syndication: The Columbus Dispatch

Votes: 4

T-8: LSU

Thomas Shea-USA TODAY Sports

Votes: 3

T-8: Oklahoma

Syndication: The Oklahoman

T-8: Penn State

Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports

T-8: Texas

Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports

T-8: Texas A&M

Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

That's not bad.

Comment

The facilities could remain exactly the same and the results completely different next year. It really is ridiculous how much money is spent to impress some high school kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post
        The facilities could remain exactly the same and the results completely different next year. It really is ridiculous how much money is spent to impress some high school kids.
        Some schools...maybe most...have recording booths and podcast studios. Ya know, because everyone wants to hear them rap and they all think they're the next Joe Rogan.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post
          But they’re our future. At least if we want it to be awesome

Comment

Can't believe T-Boone wasn't listed. Surely all of their All-American recruits would have voted for them.

Comment

Something’s wrong here… where’s USC?

Comment

I guess usc works out at Planet Fitness with SoCali

Comment

Notre Dame surprises me. It seems like I hear all the time how run down and outdated everything they have there is. Then again, I never gave a shit to investigate it, myself.

Comment

Better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post
                      Notre Dame surprises me. It seems like I hear all the time how run down and outdated everything they have there is. Then again, I never gave a shit to investigate it, myself.
                      I was completely unimpressed with ND's stadium facilities. We went to the 1999 and 2013 games at South Bend (we were living in Chicago, so it was a relatively short round trip for us).

We have been to all the Big 8 and Big XVII stadiums (except Texas) and the ND stadium was not as nice as the KU stadium.

Comment

One thing I've heard players at OU say forever is that the best thing about OU is how everything is right there together and not spread across campus. And then right past all the football facilities is the academic campus. If they live in Headington everything they need to access is within 5-10 minutes walk And the union and Campus corner is another five minutes. The only place they might have a class that was a decent walk is if they had to go to the Blender or that Home Ec building.

I remember years ago Elvis Peacock talking about it when he was a student.
                        Last edited by Ruprecht; 01-20-2022, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Hey a category Oregon can actually finish 1st in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

Some schools...maybe most...have recording booths and podcast studios. Ya know, because everyone wants to hear them rap and they all think they're the next Joe Rogan.
                            Meanwhile we got Turk running around with his phone putting out some high-quality shit.

Comment

Well, given most of them have a better chance to make a living off of that than football, it's a pretty decent thing to provide.

Comment

Joe Rogan is a rapper?

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber View Post

I was completely unimpressed with ND's stadium facilities. We went to the 1999 and 2013 games at South Bend (we were living in Chicago, so it was a relatively short round trip for us).

We have been to all the Big 8 and Big XVII stadiums (except Texas) and the ND stadium was not as nice as the KU stadium.

Brian Kelly's offense was rather unimpressive also. It was small and lacking quality decor.

Comment

Originally posted by Highfligher View Post
                                    Something’s wrong here… where’s USC?
                                    USC still has the worst facilities known...

Comment

If you're not doing anything, you're falling behind.

What facilities projects are still needed for OU football?

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post

Moving sidewalks, floor escalators, in the stadium to get me from my seat to the bathroom, to the hot dog stand, and back to my seat. This should definitely be implemented before next season.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
                                          Brian Kelly's offense was rather unimpressive also. It was small and lacking quality decor.
                                          Lol. I think you meant to say “Brian Kelly’s OFFICE “ but what you posted is also true.

Comment

I believe Turnipseed will be spending a lot of time getting this upgraded.
                                            last two schools he was at are sitting 4 and 5. With OU already close behind I’d bet on a major push to be in top 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

Joe Rogan is a rapper?
                                              You should watch his podcast. It’s as good as the Potter Fanboy page on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post
                                                It surprised me too. It would've been nice had the article posted pics of each school's facilities. What makes them good? Some of these rankings seem suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post
                                                  Lol. I think you meant to say “Brian Kelly’s OFFICE “ but what you posted is also true.

LOL! Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber View Post

I think you are completely negating the importance of Touchdown Jesus and Fair Catch Moses.

Comment

I think you are completely negating the importance of Touchdown Jesus and Fair Catch Moses.
                                                      Yes, I did. Both of those are outside of the stadium. TD Jesus is on a wall of the Hesburgh library and Fair Catch Moses is a statue just outside of the library.

They also have an activity, where the entire team, coaches and staff walk across campus to the stadium the route is lined with ND fans on both sides of the sidewalk. During the 1999 game, as they were walking by I opened my jacket to show them my OU shirt I was wearing. Bob D looked and smiled. I have often wondered if, what I did, provided the impetus for them to beat OU that day.

"Ok players, remember that OU fan that was laughing as we walked by? Well, let's give him a lesson he will not forget."

Comment

It's interesting that one of the main buildings on Notre Dame's campus is named after the grandfather of a former OU player. At the time he was the major benefactor of Notre Dame. Gave them something like 8 million dollars between 1950 and 1970.

The grandfather was pissed when the kid at the last minute decided to go to OU instead of Notre Dame. Kid ended up being a two year starter at CB for OU including the 1971 team.

Steve O'Shaughnessy. Probably the richest kid to ever play at OU.

Here is the old man's building. I think their Arts and Sciences college is also named after him. This building existed when Steve turned down Notre Dame. Despite the fact that the old man's oil fortune had it's genesis in Oklahoma (Blackwell) I don't know if he ever gave OU any money. Just Catholic schools. To this day the O'Shaughnessy's are one of Americas richest families when you look at their entire holdings.

In 1971 OU had two guys who started in the defensive backfield who's families were loaded. O'Shaughnessy and John Shelly.

Last edited by Ruprecht; 01-20-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Went to a ND game this year and loved the campus, you could absolutely feel the history all over.

On the OU facilities front, this is actually better than I anticipated, I'll take tied with A&M and LSU

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                                                            It's interesting that one of the main buildings on Notre Dame's campus is named after the grandfather of a former OU player. At the time he was the major benefactor of Notre Dame. Gave them something like 8 million dollars between 1950 and 1970.

The grandfather was pissed when the kid at the last minute decided to go to OU instead of Notre Dame. Kid ended up being a two year starter at CB for OU including the 1971 team.

Steve O'Shaughnessy. Probably the richest kid to ever play at OU.

Here is the old man's building. I think their Arts and Sciences college is also named after him. This building existed when Steve turned down Notre Dame. Despite the fact that the old man's oil fortune had it's genesis in Oklahoma (Blackwell) I don't know if he ever gave OU any money. Just Catholic schools. To this day the O'Shaughnessy's are one of Americas richest families when you look at their entire holdings.

In 1971 OU had two guys who started in the defensive backfield who's families were loaded. O'Shaughnessy and John Shelly.

Man, Ruprecht, I love these stories you tell about little known bits of history related to OU football. I wish you’d post more of these kinds of commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by OU48A View Post

Our "museum" is not nearly as accessible as it is for other schools. Would be nice if we had one that you could actually get into on game days. We need upgraded LED stadium lights. We don't seem to have the barber shop, slide, locker that turns into a bed, gimmicky thing that the schools above us have which would be nice to get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
                                                                Went to a ND game this year and loved the campus, you could absolutely feel the history all over.

On the OU facilities front, this is actually better than I anticipated, I'll take tied with A&M and LSU
                                                                I've told the story about my HS friend's son visiting Baker's SR year. The family is a giant fOSU family and their son had just visited Bama, Florida and LSU and had been to A&M many times that year. He said OU was as nice or nicer than all of those places.

Comment

Man, Ruprecht, I love these stories you tell about little known bits of history related to OU football. I wish you’d post more of these kinds of commentary.
                                                                  Thanks for that. Most of my knowledge of that stuff comes from the people I knew when I gophered in the AD in the late '70s. There were guys from the Bud era there and also from the Mackenzie/Fairbanks and Switzer regimes.

Just to elaborate further on Steve O'Shaughnessy. Another reason he wasn't so hot on Notre Dame is at was all dudes back then. They had St. Mary's across the street that was all girls but it didn't have a large enrollment. Apparently O'Shaughnessy was a not real thrilled about that situation. He took a visit to OU with his HS teammate Steve Aycock and then decommitted ND and signed with OU.

ND had a nickname back then "Not a dame".

Amazingly, that 1971 team had three starting players from Midland High School. O'Shaugnessy, Aycock and Tom Brahaney. Mildren and Harrison were from Abilene Cooper which was in the same district in Texas. They called that district the "Little Southwest Conference". So OU had five starters on that team from "the Little Southwest Conference". I always thought that was kind of funny.
                                                                  Last edited by Ruprecht; 01-21-2022, 01:24 AM.

Comment

If they ever get around to working on the west side, they can always throw a studio in the press box or put a second floor under the west and put more shit in there. That place has a lot of space for different amenities for the fans and the athletes. More toilets and like someone else said escalators would be nice on those long ramps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Thanks for that. Most of my knowledge of that stuff comes from the people I knew when I gophered in the AD in the late '70s. There were guys from the Bud era there and also from the Mackenzie/Fairbanks and Switzer regimes.

Just to elaborate further on Steve O'Shaughnessy. Another reason he wasn't so hot on Notre Dame is at was all dudes back then. They had St. Mary's across the street that was all girls but it didn't have a large enrollment. Apparently O'Shaughnessy was a not real thrilled about that situation. He took a visit to OU with his HS teammate Steve Aycock and then decommitted ND and signed with OU.

ND had a nickname back then "Not a dame".

Amazingly, that 1971 team had three starting players from Midland High School. O'Shaugnessy, Aycock and Tom Brahaney. Mildren and Harrison were from Abilene Cooper which was in the same district in Texas. They called that district the "Little Southwest Conference". So OU had five starters on that team from "the Little Southwest Conference". I always thought that was kind of funny.
                                                                      In the same district but it is about 150 miles from Abilene to Midland. SW Texas is very sparsely populated.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                      X
                                                                      UA-124223861-1