First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now is a good time for a statue...opinion

I continue to be amazed by Lincoln Riley. Here is a man deceitful to his core and at the same time completely convinced of both his own honesty and character. Maybe ... maybe Bosworth's claims hurt the OU football program more but I can't recall a more vindictive, hateful, damaging departure than Riley's. He didn't just leave for the money, ... he intended serious harm to OU.

Like it or not, he's put some people in very awkward situations. Specifically Baker and Kyler should have statues coming up soon and it would be a real shame if this man were invited back as part of any ceremony. So ... with that in mind... the sooner Baker and Kyler get the recognition they deserve, the less likely it will be that anyone questions why the LiaR is not part of any speeches or hugs.

I dont see any way for him to come back. He would get massacred.

Comment

Originally posted by Thulsa Doom View Post
      I continue to be amazed by Lincoln Riley. Here is a man deceitful to his core and at the same time completely convinced of both his own honesty and character. Maybe ... maybe Bosworth's claims hurt the OU football program more but I can't recall a more vindictive, hateful, damaging departure than Riley's. He didn't just leave for the money, ... he intended serious harm to OU.

Like it or not, he's put some people in very awkward situations. Specifically Baker and Kyler should have statues coming up soon and it would be a real shame if this man were invited back as part of any ceremony. So ... with that in mind... the sooner Baker and Kyler get the recognition they deserve, the less likely it will be that anyone questions why the LiaR is not part of any speeches or hugs.
      they invited Darrel Royal back when they had the reunion in the early 70's of the championship team he played on and Switzer even said that the fans shouldn't have booed him like they did when they announced his name.

so if they can bring back that "guy" I'm sure it won't be that difficult to have Riley back for the ceremony.

Comment

Fuck Riley.

But if Kyler and Baker insist, maybe he get an invite….but Fuck Riley.

Comment

Even if he was invited, no way in hell would that pussy ass bitch show up.

Comment

Originally posted by boomerdad53 View Post

they invited Darrel Royal back when they had the reunion in the early 70's of the championship team he played on and Switzer even said that the fans shouldn't have booed him like they did when they announced his name.

so if they can bring back that "guy" I'm sure it won't be that difficult to have Riley back for the ceremony.
            DKR did nothing even close to shat fucktard Riley did.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Exactly. Darrel never coached at OU and slinked away in the night to another school. And I imagine Baker and Kyler would be sensitive to the situation.

Comment

I'm afraid there is a little recency bias here.

Royal whined constantly about OU after we started beating him.

The one that galls me most is in 1975 when he talked about OU building "a monster team with illegal tactics"

The fact of the matter is the '73='75 teams were made up of mostly Oklahoma HS players. There were a handful of Texans that started and a couple of guys from other states.

I guess DKR was like Keef in that he thinks OU has to cheat to get in state players.

Comment

really constantly reporting us to the NCAA and getting all the press to write negative stories about OU and Switzer I don't feel its close Riley walking away and taking his diva's with him will be the best thing to happen to OU since the firing of Blake.

Comment

Originally posted by boomerdad53 View Post

didn't Royal also come back in the mid-2000's as well and get a standing ovation??? plus, Royal was a fan and a player for OU. Numb-nuts turned out to just be a pussy-assed leech. after he is made to grovel in suckery for 10 yrs maybe he will be invited back.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricSooner View Post

didn't Royal also come back in the mid-2000's as well and get a standing ovation??? plus, Royal was a fan and a player for OU. Numb-nuts turned out to just be a pussy-assed leech. after he is made to grovel in suckery for 10 yrs maybe he will be invited back.
                      i don't remember him getting a standing ovation but I do remember Switzer saying we should be nicer towards the 'guy" and most of the fans responded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

The one that galls me most is in 1975 when he talked about OU building "a monster team with illegal tactics"

The fact of the matter is the '73='75 teams were made up of mostly Oklahoma HS players. There were a handful of Texans that started and a couple of guys from other states.

I guess DKR was like Keef in that he thinks OU has to cheat to get in state players.
                        Well, we were cheating our asses off, weren’t we?

Comment

No way Kyler will want him back.

Comment

OU survived Switzer’s resignation and the drama that followed. LR doing his thing is damaging but won’t go down in history as being that damaging.
                            As Stoops so eloquently pointed out, OU is in a hell of a lot better shape these days to handle bumps in the road than they were all those years ago.

Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray were brought into the program by Stoops. I would imagine that’s as simple as it gets. If they need a coach to stand by them and help them celebrate, I have no doubt Stoops will be there.

Shitty as LR did us dirty; we’re not in a position like Penn State with JoePa, Baylor with Briles or even USC with Carroll. The damage was not done in public relations and the program suffered minor, temporary bumps and bruises with the potential to move forward in a more positive trajectory. As I’ve been looking at the program from the outside, I can’t help but think Riley jumping ship was like hitting the snooze button and calling in sick to avoid the drama and the hard work he was going to be facing. 2020 and 2021 didn’t look like the program was headed in the best direction in terms of roster development. It seems like he merely hit the reset button on his career by jumping ship. He’s now got the built in excuse to slump for a couple years whereas his seat would start to get hot if it slipped any further downward in Norman under his direction.
                            He’s back to being the media darling, fun-loving players’ coach without the criticism he’d have faced here.
                            I don’t know what kind of head coach Venables will be but we needed somebody to come in and direct all their focus and attention on the things he appears to be trying to take care of. We needed a new start even if we didn’t realize it before LR left. Specifically with regard to our off-season S&C development. It all starts there and Judas Brutus obviously wasn’t going to make those changes since he packed all his cronies into his carry-on luggage and bailed.
                            Think about it… with LR still here, all our hopes and dreams hinged on Caleb Williams going forward with issues everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by MI Sooner View Post

Well, we were cheating our asses off, weren’t we?
                              Again, what reason would we have to cheat to get kids from Ada, and Eufaula and Pauls Valley, and Miami, OK? And even if we did, how does that make them better players? Good enough to beat Texas anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post
                                Kyler has solidified himself as one of my favorite Sooners ever. The guy is loyal to OU above any head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 49cent View Post
                                  OU survived Switzer’s resignation and the drama that followed. LR doing his thing is damaging but won’t go down in history as being that damaging.
                                  As Stoops so eloquently pointed out, OU is in a hell of a lot better shape these days to handle bumps in the road than they were all those years ago.

Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray were brought into the program by Stoops. I would imagine that’s as simple as it gets. If they need a coach to stand by them and help them celebrate, I have no doubt Stoops will be there.

Shitty as LR did us dirty; we’re not in a position like Penn State with JoePa, Baylor with Briles or even USC with Carroll. The damage was not done in public relations and the program suffered minor, temporary bumps and bruises with the potential to move forward in a more positive trajectory. As I’ve been looking at the program from the outside, I can’t help but think Riley jumping ship was like hitting the snooze button and calling in sick to avoid the drama and the hard work he was going to be facing. 2020 and 2021 didn’t look like the program was headed in the best direction in terms of roster development. It seems like he merely hit the reset button on his career by jumping ship. He’s now got the built in excuse to slump for a couple years whereas his seat would start to get hot if it slipped any further downward in Norman under his direction.
                                  He’s back to being the media darling, fun-loving players’ coach without the criticism he’d have faced here.
                                  I don’t know what kind of head coach Venables will be but we needed somebody to come in and direct all their focus and attention on the things he appears to be trying to take care of. We needed a new start even if we didn’t realize it before LR left. Specifically with regard to our off-season S&C development. It all starts there and Judas Brutus obviously wasn’t going to make those changes since he packed all his cronies into his carry-on luggage and bailed.
                                  Think about it… with LR still here, all our hopes and dreams hinged on Caleb Williams going forward with issues everywhere else.
                                  Best post in the thread.

I was genuinely not prepared for just how quickly Venables went about putting together his staff. The quality of it has become more apparent over time. We'll have to see if Chavis is as good a teacher as a recruiter, but that dude was an animal on signing day. This staff is also generating interest, especially defensively, like nothing I've seen in a long time--probably since Venables was here the first time, funny enough. Add on that we're finally utilizing analysts, and I'm so optimistic about the future of this program.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

DKR was 12-2 against OU in his first 14 years at Texas that included an 8 game and 4 game winning streak. Then in 71 we ripped off 5 in a row on him and so we had to be cheating. Spygate! (In reading Bootleggers boy and other interviews with Switzer and Lacewell, we probably were, lol) But, so was Texas. Just ask any former members of the SWC. Darrel just didn't like Switzer because he thought Switzer was cocky. There were a lot of coaches that thought the same way, Jo Pa, Schembechler, Hayes, Osborn, Broyles. When we won 5 in a row, the only way DKR could explain it to the Texas fanbase was to tell them that we were cheating. (Change the focus off of him). He knew after he managed to get a tie with OU in 76, he should step out because things were kind of looking bleak for him. They went 5-5-1. He should have stuck around for 1977 and Earl Campbell's senior season. But, he watched as their AD. The interesting thing is DKR retired from coaching at the age of 52 and from the AD position at age 56.

Comment

Move on

Comment

Baker won't either.......he is still pissed that Lincoln didn't come to Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post

Baker won't either.......he is still pissed that Lincoln didn't come to Cleveland.
                                          I've been curious about how Baker feels about TBOW. In a very passive but unmistakable way, Kyler let his displeasure be known. Baker, from what I've seen, has been mum. Which is kinda funny because Baker is the one with the reputation as outspoken.

Comment

I've been curious about how Baker feels about TBOW. In a very passive but unmistakable way, Kyler let his displeasure be known. Baker, from what I've seen, has been mum. Which is kinda funny because Baker is the one with the reputation as outspoken.
                                            He’s also been dealing with spaghetti shoulder and all of the moronic critics of him. Riley’s California Dreaming probably is way down the list of his current concerns he wants to throw his two cents out there about.

Comment

I didn't realize Kyler let his displeasure of Riley's actions be known. Actually I thought it was the other way around and Baker was more unhappy with Riley.

Comment

ILike it or not, he's put some people in very awkward situations. Specifically Baker and Kyler should have statues coming up soon and it would be a real shame if this man were invited back as part of any ceremony. So ... with that in mind... the sooner Baker and Kyler get the recognition they deserve, the less likely it will be that anyone questions why the LiaR is not part of any speeches or hugs.
                                                A cool statue would be one with Mayfield and Murray standing together.

It would emphasize the back-to-back Heismans.

Comment

TBOW had nothing to do with either Baker or Kyler being at OU (remember OU wasn't Kyler first choice). TBOW rode their coattails. I think we all saw how the Rattler experience went - who was TBOW's recruit.

He can't ever be on OU campus again, unless we're fortunate enough to have him on the opposing sideline. A truly dead man in Norman and pretty much all of Oklahoma.

Comment

If you won a Heisman at OU, you can bring whoever you want to your ceremony. We would have the sense not to announce him in the stadium or put him on the video board. Baker turned the program around at a much lower point than this.

Comment

Still starting LR threads even when the subject is allegedly the statues. Y'all seriously need to get over this shit.

Here's the deal, which I think a lot of the constant "fuck Riley to death" people ain't getting. Did any of you watch OU play these past couple years? Were we great? Did we play for nattys? That's what I thought. Every game (at least to me) was just waiting for the wheels to come off. Kansas? Iowa State? K-State? Baylor? aggy?

What y'all are gonna eventually figure out is that LR leaving was/is the very best possible thing to happen for OU at this time. We were going nowhere. Fast. Every game was a fucking coronary fixin' to happen. I watched a team lacking heart, guts and motivation on many a Saturday these past couple years.

Now, there's a fresh slate. A new Sheriff in town. A new attitude. Just watch, you'll see. I expect us to ride into the SEC like Sooners.

Comment

Mods, please change thread title to: Now is a good time for us to fucking get over it and stop acting like cucks. The bitch is gone, and we traded up. Let's stop pissing our pants about it...opinion.

Comment

Don't give a flip about Riley, but its past time those two had their statue.

Comment

Isn't there a statue of the Selmon brothers in the works?

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post
                                                              Still starting LR threads even when the subject is allegedly the statues. Y'all seriously need to get over this shit.

Here's the deal, which I think a lot of the constant "fuck Riley to death" people ain't getting. Did any of you watch OU play these past couple years? Were we great? Did we play for nattys? That's what I thought. Every game (at least to me) was just waiting for the wheels to come off. Kansas? Iowa State? K-State? Baylor? aggy?

What y'all are gonna eventually figure out is that LR leaving was/is the very best possible thing to happen for OU at this time. We were going nowhere. Fast. Every game was a fucking coronary fixin' to happen. I watched a team lacking heart, guts and motivation on many a Saturday these past couple years.

Now, there's a fresh slate. A new Sheriff in town. A new attitude. Just watch, you'll see. I expect us to ride into the SEC like Sooners.
                                                              "Tell'em I'm coming and I'm bringing hell with me!"

Comment

Here's a preview of TBOW statue
                                                                  Not Safe For Work
                                                                Click image for larger version  Name:	?url=https:%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fca%2Fa6%2Faaf832dcfe3b72000dbca759ba1e%2Fsdut-donatellos-15th-century-bronze-20160828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.4 KB ID:	961076

Comment

Originally posted by soonerBAS View Post
                                                                  Don't give a flip about Riley, but its past time those two had their statue.
                                                                  I seriously wonder if the the reason they don’t have statues yet is because Riley wanted all the attention on himself?

Also, everybody says other coaches didn’t like Switzer because he was cocky. I think it was more because of their own egos. Switzer offended them by saying anybody could learn to be a coach, and he was recruiting black athletes when the established coaches weren’t.

Comment

Originally posted by 61Sooner View Post
                                                                    Isn't there a statue of the Selmon brothers in the works?
                                                                    Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by 82OU View Post

I seriously wonder if the the reason they don’t have statues yet is because Riley wanted all the attention on himself?

Also, everybody says other coaches didn’t like Switzer because he was cocky. I think it was more because of their own egos. Switzer offended them by saying anybody could learn to be a coach, and he was recruiting black athletes when the established coaches weren’t.
                                                                      Switzer was the first guy who didn't coach old school that had teams good enough to rub old school coaches' nose in it. Switzer was also the first guy to party hearty among college coaches. There were a lot of old school drunk coaches but they were more Eddie Sutton style drunk coaches and not good time guys like Switzer was.

In the end Switzer's partying bit him and OU in the ass but it was sure fun along the way and it seemed to be pretty appealing to recruits to have a coach who didn't behave like a taskmaster asshole.

I'll be honest, I appreciated Riley's "regular guy" persona after Stoops who kind of had that old school edge. I could live with that from Stoops but it was a bit off putting. What we didn't know is that despite the persona, Riley was pretty much concerned about himself and not the program. I think a couple of guys have said it best on this board... He recruited to himself and not to the University.

IMO, a coach in his position should contact the old coach before poaching players from his previous school At least in the year that he leaves. Same with committed recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by UCO4Sooners View Post

DKR was 12-2 against OU in his first 14 years at Texas that included an 8 game and 4 game winning streak. Then in 71 we ripped off 5 in a row on him and so we had to be cheating. Spygate! (In reading Bootleggers boy and other interviews with Switzer and Lacewell, we probably were, lol) But, so was Texas. Just ask any former members of the SWC. Darrel just didn't like Switzer because he thought Switzer was cocky. There were a lot of coaches that thought the same way, Jo Pa, Schembechler, Hayes, Osborn, Broyles. When we won 5 in a row, the only way DKR could explain it to the Texas fanbase was to tell them that we were cheating. (Change the focus off of him). He knew after he managed to get a tie with OU in 76, he should step out because things were kind of looking bleak for him. They went 5-5-1. He should have stuck around for 1977 and Earl Campbell's senior season. But, he watched as their AD. The interesting thing is DKR retired from coaching at the age of 52 and from the AD position at age 56.
                                                                        DKR didn't want to recruit and coach black kids. But he began to realize unless he did, OU was going to keep beating him.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Well, our new (future) overlords [for the Sooners] that pay SEC mega-bucks (Disney) approve that joke…

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                          X
                                                                          UA-124223861-1