First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All time OU over achievers

We have a thread about all time OU players who were overhyped.

What about the over achievers? Those guys who excelled when no one saw it coming.

For me, I think of Josh Heupel, Sam Bradford, and Baker Mayfield.

I'm sure there are many more. Everyone have at it.

Live Free or Die!

Quentin Griffin
    Derrick Strait

Comment

Dominique Whaley
      Martin Chase

Comment

Torrance Marshall

Comment

Mark Clayton kind of sticks out for me along with Ryan Broyles. For two guys that are let's just say less than physically impressive looking they were high, high production guys.

Comment

In the early days of his cfb career I thought Drake Stoops saw the field because of his last name. When I'd see that ball go to him I would just think "don't screw up, don't screw up" but he's done way more than just not screwing up. The guy has become a clutch player.

I guess you might call it more of a surprise on my part than an over achiever. I'm sure some of you guys saw it coming but I didn't.

Comment

Drake Stoops is a great example. I am surprised he didn't transfer out to follow LiaR. lololololololololololol

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                If you're good with the Googles you can find posts from me in the Summer of 2007, all but guaranteeing that Bradford would start at OU and would win a Heisman. I also predicted he'd lead OU to natty #8 (okay, so two outta three ain't bad). I was high on him from the beginning. Hell, before the beginning. Kid's been on my radar since grade school.

BUT, you can also probably find predictions from me when Mayfield first transferred that he would only see action as holder or on the scout team. I also was unimpressed with Heupel when he first appeared at practice.

So, uh, y'know, maybe y'all should take everything I predict with a grain of salt.

Comment

Q

Comment

His lack of physical ability eventually caught up with him, but you'd have to consider Jonathan Alvarez on an all-time overachiever team

Comment

I always thought of Jimbo Elrod as a great overachiever. It’s not that he was lacking great physical gifts, it’s just that he was on the same dline with the Selmon brothers who drew all of the public’s attention and yet he still earned all American honors in 1975. Talk about a motor that was always running. He was my favorite player on a team with many players I admired.

Comment

Steve Davis.

Comment

Baker Mayfield
                          Josh Heupel
                          Derrick Strait
                          Sam Bradford
                          Jason White
                          Q
                          Broyles
                          Clayton
                          Ted Lehman even though he was hyped locally he wasn’t a highly rated recruit nationally

Comment

1. Baker Mayfield
                            2. Baker Mayfield
                            3. Baker Mayfield

Comment

We have a thread about all time OU players who were overhyped.

What about the over achievers? Those guys who excelled when no one saw it coming.

I'm sure there are many more. Everyone have at it.
                              I disagree with Baker; he did his "overachieving" at Texas Tech. First ever true freshman walk-on to start first game of the season... and he did it at a P5 school. He was incredible at OU and continuously got better but his biggest step was at Taco

Comment

Originally posted by Free Electron View Post

I disagree with Baker; he did his "overachieving" at Texas Tech. First ever true freshman walk-on to start first game of the season... and he did it at a P5 school. He was incredible at OU and continuously got better but his biggest step was at Taco
                                Yeah, but he won the Heisman at OU and was the #1 pick in the draft. Who saw that coming?
                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

James Winchester

Comment

Originally posted by Free Electron View Post

So which player do you believe overachieved more? Am I forgetting all the other walk-ons at OU that beat out the returning starter at QB (Trevor Knight), started for 3 years taking us to the playoffs/New Years 6 games each year, won the Heisman/Maxwell/Walter Camp/Davey O’Brien/ AP POY/ Burlsworth 2x/ Big 12 POY 2x Awards, led the NCAA in multiple statistical categories, set multiple school records, and was drafted first overall?

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNot? View Post

So which player do you believe overachieved more? Am I forgetting all the other walk-ons at OU that beat out the returning starter at QB (Trevor Knight), started for 3 years taking us to the playoffs/New Years 6 games each year, won the Heisman/Maxwell/Walter Camp/Davey O’Brien/ AP POY/ Burlsworth 2x/ Big 12 POY 2x Awards, led the NCAA in multiple statistical categories, set multiple school records, and was drafted first overall?
                                      Jerry Parks?

Comment

Scott Case...

Comment

Brody Eldridge - hell of a utility player
                                          Antonio Perkins - punt returns were heart stopping
                                          J.T Thatcher - underated defnder
                                          Teddy Lehman - aside from being a top player, he is now a great outside influence on the spirit of the program
                                          Tony Jefferson - probbaly the most clutch defender - uncanny - great dude that LOVES OU.
                                          Samaje Perine - lol, went from " how do we say his name? " to the NFL to the Superbowl.

Comment

Originally posted by OB2.0 View Post
                                            Mark Clayton kind of sticks out for me along with Ryan Broyles. For two guys that are let's just say less than physically impressive looking they were high, high production guys.
                                            Definitely agree with Broyles. One of the best pure possession receivers and route runners with amazing hands that I've ever seen, especially at his size as you said. What really seals it for me though goes beyond football. It's also how he was before he made a name for himself at OU. From what I saw and heard (and maybe I'm off base here) he talked and acted more like a "thug" (one way to put it), and of course we know about the gas incident. Then he turns out to be not only just one of the best OU receivers in history, setting records, but also turned into a very articulate and intelligent young man. I mean look at how he made the most of his NFL money, when some guys who made millions upon millions squandered all of theirs.

Comment

Sam Bradford? Overachiever? He should have been starting the minute he got here. It was criminal that Paul Thompson was the starter. I can remember people telling me that watching Sam throw was like watching Big Ben throw. Hardly overachieving.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
                                                His lack of physical ability eventually caught up with him, but you'd have to consider Jonathan Alvarez on an all-time overachiever team
                                                I’d go with Erik Wren who replaced Alvarez
                                                BOOMER!

Comment

Nobody’s mentioned the juco kid who won the Biletnikoff or the current Ravens WR we found working at Six Flags?

Comment

Q. Griffin

Comment

Sowing my age I'll add Steve Davis. Not big or particularly fast or athletic . He was blessed with big heart and ran a very smooth Wishbone.

Comment

Originally posted by waddy's ghost View Post
                                                        Sowing my age I'll add Steve Davis. Not big or particularly fast or athletic . He was blessed with big heart and ran a very smooth Wishbone.
                                                        When he showed up on campus he was fat.

Comment

Jalen Saunders. He helped win us some big ball games plus helped beat Alabama.

Comment

Rocky Calmus. Not the most physically talented but a hell of a gamer...plus a great football name.

Comment

Paul Thompson. So many unsung heroes on basically every team but that guy was a great story. When the sky was falling he took the reigns and steadied the ship. All time great.

Comment

Here is one.

Derland Moore. No football scholarship offers. Got a fluke track scholarship to OU after high school because the AAU regional Jrs track meet happened to be in Norman that summer. OU track coach JD Martin sees Moore throw shot and disc. Offers on the spot. OU football freshman team is short on DTs that fall.. Moore hears about it and walks on with Martin's blessing. Ends up starting on freshman team. Starts on varsity for the better part of three years. Makes All American. second round draft choice, plays 12 years for the Saints and was voted one of the top 50 Saints of all time.

And if not for OU hosting an AAU Jr. track meet and a couple of injuries to the 1969 Oklahoma Boomer team.... Derland Moore may have never come to OU or played college football at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMFSooner View Post
                                                                  Brody Eldridge - hell of a utility player
                                                                  Antonio Perkins - punt returns were heart stopping
                                                                  J.T Thatcher - underated defnder
                                                                  Teddy Lehman - aside from being a top player, he is now a great outside influence on the spirit of the program
                                                                  Tony Jefferson - probbaly the most clutch defender - uncanny - great dude that LOVES OU.
                                                                  Samaje Perine - lol, went from " how do we say his name? " to the NFL to the Superbowl.
                                                                  To add to Antonio Perkins, he was a hell of a corner.

I'll add Brand0n Everage to the list of over achievers.

Comment

Originally posted by MuleshoeSooner View Post
                                                                    Rocky Calmus. Not the most physically talented but a hell of a gamer...plus a great football name.
                                                                    I know people say that when a guy isn’t five star everywhere but Rocky was pretty good. If you wanted to find the ball you just looked for #20.

Comment

Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
                                                                      Sam Bradford? Overachiever? He should have been starting the minute he got here. It was criminal that Paul Thompson was the starter. I can remember people telling me that watching Sam throw was like watching Big Ben throw. Hardly overachieving.
                                                                      Yes, Bradford over-achieved. He was a 3 star that wasn't recruited by any other school of significance. Ended up winning the Heisman and being the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

That is the definition of overachieving.
                                                                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by IKE93 View Post
                                                                        Dominique Whaley
                                                                        Martin Chase
                                                                        Dominique Whaley wins the thread for me. The kid was having to work at Subway to pay for his own school. Amazing story.

Comment

Originally posted by Unforgiven View Post

Dominique Whaley wins the thread for me. The kid was having to work at Subway to pay for his own school. Amazing story.
                                                                          He is also one of the more tragic stories. We really don't have any idea how good he might have been. He was showing so much promise before the leg injury.

Comment

Yes, Bradford over-achieved. He was a 3 star that wasn't recruited by any other school of significance. Ended up winning the Heisman and being the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

That is the definition of overachieving.
                                                                            I seem to recall OU signing Bradford as much because he was a legacy...his father had played at OU...as for his QB ability.

Comment

#39
                                                                              How about Blake Bell? Never won the Heisman or anything like that, but has had a long NFL career...at a position he never played until going to the pros...for a guy who never started consistently in college.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Dr. X View Post
                                                                                If you're good with the Googles you can find posts from me in the Summer of 2007, all but guaranteeing that Bradford would start at OU and would win a Heisman. I also predicted he'd lead OU to natty #8 (okay, so two outta three ain't bad). I was high on him from the beginning. Hell, before the beginning. Kid's been on my radar since grade school.

BUT, you can also probably find predictions from me when Mayfield first transferred that he would only see action as holder or on the scout team. I also was unimpressed with Heupel when he first appeared at practice.

So, uh, y'know, maybe y'all should take everything I predict with a grain of salt.
                                                                                So what do you want? A fucking cookie?

Comment

#41
                                                                                  James Winchester, The Belldozer, Hollywood Brown, Brkic, Striker, etc, etc.....ad infinitum.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

He is also one of the more tragic stories. We really don't have any idea how good he might have been. He was showing so much promise before the leg injury.
                                                                                    Not just any “leg injury” if I recall correctly. Seems like he was diagnosed with the original “spaghetti knee.”

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Disagree about Broyles. He was a 4 star and a top 200 player in the nation.

A lot of those guys don’t pan out. But some of those guys are going to become big time playmakers.

I think of an overachiever as a 2 star or low 3 star guy that other offers included New Mexico State, Tulsa, and Arkansas State.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Norman native John Carroll. He was OU's last straight on kicker. He also played wide receiver his first two years and tight end his last two years. In 72 he averaged 20 yards per rec and had 3 tds (which was good on a wishbone team). He also punted and was drafted in the sixth round of the NFL draft. Here is an interesting tidbit. He was Oklahoma's player of the year in Basketball his senior year of high school. He had an offer to go to Kansas to play basketball for Ted Owens or play football at OU. John said he bled crimson and cream. His dad was OU's track coach for 13 years but had retired prior to John's playing days.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Lane Johnson…..came in from JUCO as a TE project having been a QB that switched to TE at his JUCO. Move from TE to DE at OU, moved to center, moved to guard, moved to tackle, move to NFL, moved to pro bowl, won a Super Bowl and got a mega contract. Not bad for a dude that started his collegiate career as a JUCO backup QB and his D1 career as a TE project.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post

I know people say that when a guy isn’t five star everywhere but Rocky was pretty good. If you wanted to find the ball you just looked for #20.
                                                                                            Five star recruits were still a few years away because they didn't do star ratings yet back then but Rocky Calmus was probably one of the best players in the state during that time and a big time get.

Over achievers are guys that basically weren't recruited or walk-ons that ended up being stars.

George Cumby was a lightly recruited full back when he signed in 1975 and was considering going to a local Junior College or OU. He ended up being one of the best LBs in OU history and played several years in the NFL.

I think Rod Shoate was a similar story where he sent out film of him being a full back that wasn't that great and was not highly recruited but OU got film of him as a LB and offered him.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              To be considered an overachiever, two things are required. First, you need an opportunity to excel and second, you need the ability to capitalize on that opportunity. With that in mind I would like to offer up this walkon halfback for consideration. He still holds the record at Runningback U for yards per carry (I think), helped set the NCAA record for rushing in a single game and scored every time he touched the ball.

Here’s story from theDaily Oklahoman:

NORMAN In one just carry, Joe Muti gained 34 yards, broke an NCAA record and became a local celebrity.

"I can handle it," a laughing Muti said of his fame. "They're talking Heisman around here."

Troy Aikman. Barry Sanders. Steve Walsh. Rodney Peete. Anthony Thompson . . . Joe Muti.

For those who missed it, Muti scored on a 34-yard run with 25 seconds left in Oklahoma's 70-24 rout of Kansas State last Saturday at Owen Field. That pushed the Sooners' rushing total to 768 net yards and broke their previous national record of 758 against Colorado in 1980.
                                                                                              In the stands were Muti's parents, Rocco and Stella, who had made the trip from Chicago. "I just wanted to do something so my mother and father would be proud of me," Muti said.

Third-string OU quarterback Chris Melson called the play in the huddle "19 check."

"I told Joe, "Go get 'em,' " said Melson, who's become Muti's close friend thanks to endless hours on the scout team the past two years. "I pitched it to him and thought, "Oh, no, he's gonna fumble it."

"My father told me that every first pitch I've ever gotten, I've always bobbled," Muti said. "So, I bobbled this one, bobbled it again, got a hold of it, looked up and all I saw was the goal line."

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post
                                                                                                To be considered an overachiever, two things are required. First, you need an opportunity to excel and second, you need the ability to capitalize on that opportunity. With that in mind I would like to offer up this walkon halfback for consideration. He still holds the record at Runningback U for yards per carry (I think), helped set the NCAA record for rushing in a single game and scored every time he touched the ball.

Here’s story from theDaily Oklahoman:

NORMAN In one just carry, Joe Muti gained 34 yards, broke an NCAA record and became a local celebrity.

"I can handle it," a laughing Muti said of his fame. "They're talking Heisman around here."

Troy Aikman. Barry Sanders. Steve Walsh. Rodney Peete. Anthony Thompson . . . Joe Muti.

For those who missed it, Muti scored on a 34-yard run with 25 seconds left in Oklahoma's 70-24 rout of Kansas State last Saturday at Owen Field. That pushed the Sooners' rushing total to 768 net yards and broke their previous national record of 758 against Colorado in 1980.
                                                                                                In the stands were Muti's parents, Rocco and Stella, who had made the trip from Chicago. "I just wanted to do something so my mother and father would be proud of me," Muti said.

Third-string OU quarterback Chris Melson called the play in the huddle "19 check."

"I told Joe, "Go get 'em,' " said Melson, who's become Muti's close friend thanks to endless hours on the scout team the past two years. "I pitched it to him and thought, "Oh, no, he's gonna fumble it."

"My father told me that every first pitch I've ever gotten, I've always bobbled," Muti said. "So, I bobbled this one, bobbled it again, got a hold of it, looked up and all I saw was the goal line."
                                                                                                There was a guy named Jimmy Rogers who played RB at OU behind Billy Sims. I think he may have been 3rd string. I barely remember him at OU. I'm sure Ruprecht t does.
                                                                                                Anyway, he ended up playing for 5 years in the NFL with the Saints. Maybe he was a late bloomer, or maybe the people in front of him were just better.
                                                                                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by NickZepp84 View Post

Five star recruits were still a few years away because they didn't do star ratings yet back then but Rocky Calmus was probably one of the best players in the state during that time and a big time get.

Over achievers are guys that basically weren't recruited or walk-ons that ended up being stars.

George Cumby was a lightly recruited full back when he signed in 1975 and was considering going to a local Junior College or OU. He ended up being one of the best LBs in OU history and played several years in the NFL.

I think Rod Shoate was a similar story where he sent out film of him being a full back that wasn't that great and was not highly recruited but OU got film of him as a LB and offered him.
                                                                                                  I’m a big Cumby fan. And a bigger Shoate guy. After we played USC Robinson called Switzer and asked him if Shiate running down the sweeps from the other side was our game plan. Switzer told him it was all Shoate. IMO the best LB to play at OU.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post
                                                                                                    How about Blake Bell? Never won the Heisman or anything like that, but has had a long NFL career...at a position he never played until going to the pros...for a guy who never started consistently in college.
                                                                                                    We love him here in KC. He’s very popular with his teammates. Very good blocker and special teams guy. And, occasionally, he comes up with a twist.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1