First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Workouts

Looking forward to the spring football season thread but until then this is all we got.
    What do you have and I truly appreciate comments from those in the know.

They, or at least 1 player, has been in an ice bath.

Thats all I know so far

Comment

I heard at the end of the Hall and Willis podcast that Schmitty was happy about the way things are going and no one was in his dog house yet. That was four days ago
      Last edited by Garbage Poster; 02-15-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

What I have heard on podcasts is all is going well which makes me somewhat concerned. No one is bitching about how tough the workouts are. Has Schmitty mellowed?

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post
          What I have heard on podcasts is all is going well which makes me somewhat concerned. No one is bitching about how tough the workouts are. Has Schmitty mellowed?
          Or the current players listened to former players and were prepared to work harder.

Comment

Originally posted by BajaOklahoma View Post

Or the current players listened to former players and were prepared to work harder.
            Makes sense but remember they were soft to begin with due to Wylie.

Comment

Makes sense but remember they were soft to begin with due to Wylie.
              Sometimes people only put forth the expected level of effort, whatever that is.

Comment

Seems like I remember some player saying his H.S. workouts were tougher than Wylie's. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thWave View Post
                  Seems like I remember some player saying his H.S. workouts were tougher than Wylie's. Sad.
                  It was Brayden Willis, and here is a tweet from him yesterday.

Comment

Perrion Winfery stated, that guys who normally didn't finish workouts under Wiley, are turning into real dogs and killing it with Schmidty. The workouts are more difficult, but guys are being held accountable and putting in the work.

Comment

We need to do a comparison of the players from last spring game to this spring game. Just to see the difference a few months with Schmitty makes

Comment

Does Schmidty have a grace period where player injuries are not his fault?

Comment

Not until the second injury is it Schmitty's fault.

Comment

Shmidty is training their minds/will power just as much as their body.
                            6 years ago I was soft fat and weak. Since then I've gotten into body building and look worlds better now at 43 than I did at 33.
                            Yes my physique is improved 10 fold, but I'm more impressed with how my will power is improved 10 fold.
                            ​​​​​
                            I can only imagine how mentally tougher and how much more will power these kids will have now.
                            ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.in.Tulsa View Post
                              6 years ago I was soft fat and weak. Since then I've gotten into body building and look worlds better now at 43 than I did at 33.
                              Yes my physique is improved 10 fold, but I'm more impressed with how my will power is improved 10 fold.
                              ​​​​​
                              I can only imagine how mentally tougher and how much more will power these kids will have now.
                              ​​
                              Bengals could have used you on their offensive line last night, dude. I said it last night, and I'm sticking by it: there aren't three crumb covered f--kers on this board, that couldn't have lined up and drove the scrawny, pathetic mess that is the Bengal's RT #75 back into the QB. Do some squats, for crying out loud! For a lack of any of defined muscle tissue at all on their O-line, the Bengals lost the damn Super Bowl.

Comment

I'm sure Schmitty has mellowed compared to early 2000s - he's had to adjust his styles to this generation of players also. Couple of things - aTm teams physically looked like they belonged with the best of them - I've watched them closely every year since Schmitty has been there. In addition, we've added the ex-NU S&C coach (James Dobson). I say this to say that we've added coach who brings different talent/style/perspective to the team. I hope the strength staff (Schmitty, Dennison, Dobson) and the Sports performance guys (Scott Kolok, Josue Matias, and Reggie McGrew) stick around for a few years. I think we will reap rewards of their expertise and will give us an edge against most teams.

Comment

He’s starting with guys who were getting pushed around by Kansas in some cases. It can’t go straight to 2000s horror stories in a week or they’ll all tear everything and quit.

Comment

Originally posted by OUspin View Post

I'm sure Schmitty has mellowed compared to early 2000s - he's had to adjust his styles to this generation of players also. Couple of things - aTm teams physically looked like they belonged with the best of them - I've watched them closely every year since Schmitty has been there. In addition, we've added the ex-NU S&C coach (James Dobson). I say this to say that we've added coach who brings different talent/style/perspective to the team. I hope the strength staff (Schmitty, Dennison, Dobson) and the Sports performance guys (Scott Kolok, Josue Matias, and Reggie McGrew) stick around for a few years. I think we will reap rewards of their expertise and will give us an edge against most teams.
                                    Excellent. Good information. I've been impressed with the additional staff beyond Schmitty, and Schmitty himself will have benefitted from his experienece deep in the heart of Texas.

Comment

Has Schmitty mellowed?
                                      He seems to sort of have. He's come across as more positive and uplifting in the tweeter machine videos than I remember(I didn't witness anything out of season or spring really) but that said, he wasn't ever a dick to the guys just to be a dick that I ever witnessed. Just incredibly strict.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                        He’s starting with guys who were getting pushed around by Kansas in some cases. It can’t go straight to 2000s horror stories in a week or they’ll all tear everything and quit.
                                        Is that tear as in rip, or tear as in cry? You are right about pushed around by Kansas. Every single Man Card should have been revoked and not returned until Schmidty says so.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                          I think it was Teddy who said Schmitty’s plan was to gradually ramp the intensity up.

Comment

Originally posted by OUspin View Post

- aTm teams physically looked like they belonged with the best of them - I've watched them closely every year since Schmitty has been there.
                                            Unfortunately for A&M... Schmidt made no discernable difference in their on the field record. LOL.

Comment

Winter workouts for JS are only to get you in shape enough to try and complete a summer workout. These boys don’t have a clue what’s coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Unfortunately for A&M... Schmidt made no discernable difference in their on the field record. LOL.

My list of teams I'm going to enjoy seeing get their ass kicked this year
                                                1) ( You know the first one)
                                                2 ( You know the second one)
                                                3 Aggies with all those 5 stars and high expectations.
                                                Racking my brain but I can't think of any others.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ruprecht;n966466]

As long as Jimbo is in charge good recruiting classes at least two losses and no trips to the Ship. I hope coaches there twenty more years!

Comment

He's a good coach, not a magician ;)

You can't overcome the old school offense that Jimbo is running. He's developed some NFL players on aTm's roster.

Comment

​​​​​
                                                      ​​
                                                      Are you the guy on the 4-hour erection commercial?

Comment

[QUOTE=Soonershocker1;n966646]

As long as Jimbo is in charge good recruiting classes at least two losses and no trips to the Ship. I hope coaches there twenty more years!
                                                        Kind of reminds me of a recent coach at Texas who is now at NC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bustarime View Post

Are you the guy on the 4-hour erection commercial?
                                                          Why would it only last 4 hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Morningwood View Post
                                                            I think it was Teddy who said Schmitty’s plan was to gradually ramp the intensity up.
                                                            Like boiling the frog.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerguru View Post

Like boiling the frog.
                                                              There are times I am very proud of our researches at the University of Oklahoma...

This is one of those times.

https://www.abc.net.au/science/artic...07/3085614.htm

[QUOTE]Dr Victor Hutchison, emeritus research professor from the Department of Zoology at the University of Oklahoma, is a herpetologist and has dealt with frogs all his professional life.

Indeed, one of his current research interests is "the physiological ecology of thermal relations of amphibians and reptiles to include determinations of the factors which influence lethal temperatures, critical thermal maxima and minima, thermal selection, and thermoregulatory behavior". Now 'critical thermal maxima' means the maximum temperature that the animal can bear.

Professor Hutchison says: "The legend is entirely incorrect! The 'critical thermal maxima' of many species of frogs have been determined by several investigators. In this procedure, the water in which a frog is submerged is heated gradually at about 2°F per minute. As the temperature of the water is gradually increased, the frog will eventually become more and more active in attempts to escape the heated water. If the container size and opening allow the frog to jump out, it will do so."

So real-life experiments show that the frog-in-boiling-water story is wrong.[/QUOTE

It warms my heart knowing we have a man who has dedicated his life to the lethal thermal temperature of frogs on our faculty.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ruprecht;n967303]

There are times I am very proud of our researches at the University of Oklahoma...

Dr Victor Hutchison, emeritus research professor from the Department of Zoology at the University of Oklahoma, is a herpetologist and has dealt with frogs all his professional life.

Indeed, one of his current research interests is "the physiological ecology of thermal relations of amphibians and reptiles to include determinations of the factors which influence lethal temperatures, critical thermal maxima and minima, thermal selection, and thermoregulatory behavior". Now 'critical thermal maxima' means the maximum temperature that the animal can bear.

Professor Hutchison says: "The legend is entirely incorrect! The 'critical thermal maxima' of many species of frogs have been determined by several investigators. In this procedure, the water in which a frog is submerged is heated gradually at about 2°F per minute. As the temperature of the water is gradually increased, the frog will eventually become more and more active in attempts to escape the heated water. If the container size and opening allow the frog to jump out, it will do so."

So real-life experiments show that the frog-in-boiling-water story is wrong.[/QUOTE

It warms my heart knowing we have a man who has dedicated his life to the lethal thermal temperature of frogs on our faculty.
                                                                So when I use that story, I'm not following the science. Bummer.

Comment

​​​​​
                                                                  ​​
                                                                  Are you the same Mark who plays lots of golf and has even played at St. Andrews?

Comment

[QUOTE=Widescreen;n967349]

So when I use that story, I'm not following the science. Bummer.
                                                                    Obviously as a metaphor it is a great one. But it always cracked me up that it just HAD to be an OU guy who is the big "debunker" of the boiling frog theory.

Comment

Latest Oklahoma Breakdown with Ikard and Lehman has some info about winter workouts.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ruprecht;n967364]
                                                                        Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

Obviously as a metaphor it is a great one. But it always cracked me up that it just HAD to be an OU guy who is the big "debunker" of the boiling frog theory.
                                                                        Well, FWIW, you don't wanna go about tossing live lobsters into boiling water either. I made that mistake and that dude came out of that water like an Olympic synchronized swimmer. Burned my hand/arm and foot, plus I then had a lobster on the floor thrashing about. After I caught him, got a lid and stuck him in the pot and slammed the lid on, he was still thrashing about making squealing noises. My wife wouldn't eat him after all that.

Not long after my lobster fiasco, I was at a little Italian joint in New Jersey and they had live lobster on the menu. I asked the guy if he ever had them jump out of the pot and he said "no, I stick them in the head with an ice pick first." I go "well shit, why didn't I think of that?"

Comment

[QUOTE=Slytherin;n967371]

Well, FWIW, you don't wanna go about tossing live lobsters into boiling water either. I made that mistake and that dude came out of that water like an Olympic synchronized swimmer. Burned my hand/arm and foot, plus I then had a lobster on the floor thrashing about. After I caught him, got a lid and stuck him in the pot and slammed the lid on, he was still thrashing about making squealing noises. My wife wouldn't eat him after all that.

Not long after my lobster fiasco, I was at a little Italian joint in New Jersey and they had live lobster on the menu. I asked the guy if he ever had them jump out of the pot and he said "no, I stick them in the head with an ice pick first." I go "well shit, why didn't I think of that?"
                                                                          When I was a kid, my grandfather showed me how to clean a fish. He told me he didn't want the fish to suffer so he'd pull the fish out and bash it in the head while I stood there. Which accomplished his objective of not causing the fish pain but it gave me all kinds of 7-year-old PTSD. Heh.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ruprecht;n967303]

Dr Victor Hutchison, emeritus research professor from the Department of Zoology at the University of Oklahoma, is a herpetologist and has dealt with frogs all his professional life.

Obviously, we had it toad-aly wrong.

Comment

#39
                                                                              [QUOTE=Widescreen;n967377]
                                                                              Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

When I was a kid, my grandfather showed me how to clean a fish. He told me he didn't want the fish to suffer so he'd pull the fish out and bash it in the head while I stood there. Which accomplished his objective of not causing the fish pain but it gave me all kinds of 7-year-old PTSD. Heh.
                                                                              Heh. I've filleted hundreds and hundreds of blue gill, crappie, bass without bashing their head. It's still kinda freaky though. Here you are, slicing behind the gill, and filleting down to the bone and back to the tail, and the fish is looking at you. Flip him over and do the other side then toss him in the trash. I've come out the next morning and those fish in the trash are still moving their mouths trying to breathe, and jumping around a bit. My pop always said "cold blooded animals can't feel any pain, they only feel restriction." Don't know if that's true or not, but it seems to be so.

Also, I've caught catfish, put them in a bucket of water and then it freezes overnight and the bucket is froze solid. Leave it set for a couple days, and when it thaws out, the catfish is swimming merrily about. Freaks me out.

Comment

#40

Are you the same Mark who plays lots of golf and has even played at St. Andrews?
                                                                                Have not swung a club in 12 years. So no, I am not.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  [QUOTE=Slytherin;n967390]
                                                                                  Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

Heh. I've filleted hundreds and hundreds of blue gill, crappie, bass without bashing their head. It's still kinda freaky though. Here you are, slicing behind the gill, and filleting down to the bone and back to the tail, and the fish is looking at you. Flip him over and do the other side then toss him in the trash. I've come out the next morning and those fish in the trash are still moving their mouths trying to breathe, and jumping around a bit. My pop always said "cold blooded animals can't feel any pain, they only feel restriction." Don't know if that's true or not, but it seems to be so.

Also, I've caught catfish, put them in a bucket of water and then it freezes overnight and the bucket is froze solid. Leave it set for a couple days, and when it thaws out, the catfish is swimming merrily about. Freaks me out.
                                                                                  Jesus fucking wept, Sly. It's a living, breathing creature, blood temperature be damned. Show it some fucking mercy and put it out of whatever misery it may or may not be feeling.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    [QUOTE=CalSOONER;n967470]

Jesus fucking wept, Sly. It's a living, breathing creature, blood temperature be damned. Show it some fucking mercy and put it out of whatever misery it may or may not be feeling.
                                                                                    The same could be said for some posters on here.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

Perrion Winfery stated, that guys who normally didn't finish workouts under Wiley, are turning into real dogs and killing it with Schmidty. The workouts are more difficult, but guys are being held accountable and putting in the work.
                                                                                      Perrion has quickly become one of my all-time favorite Sooners. Love that dude

Comment

#44

Have not swung a club in 12 years. So no, I am not.
                                                                                        I took off 20 years or so and went back, to the range, course, lessons, et al. There's time!

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Brayden Willis talks about what working out with Schmitty is like.
                                                                                          Jeremiah and Brayden talk life and answer a whole lotta listener submitted questions of this week's episode of the pod as Jeremiah heads to Indy for the NFL Combine.
                                                                                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

#46

They beat Alabama. That’s either an improvement or Bama had COVID 19 and had to play some male cheerleaders. Also those losses were all close games they could have won

Comment

#47
                                                                                              [QUOTE=CalSOONER;n967470]

Years ago, Shannon and Spinozzi did a bit on Lobster torture. There had been some national controversy over it as it was kind of at the height of PETA. I think Limbaugh or somebody had said lobsters couldn't feel pain or something and it set a bunch of people off. Anyway, Shannon and Spinozzi pretended they did all these things to a live lobster. I remember where they put the lobster in the dryer (Shannon later said it was a roll of masking tape). People were calling in like crazy all upset at them. Some of them thought they were being insensitive to the issue but some of them thought what they were doing was real.

Comment

#48

Live Free or Die!

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  We can bet this is displayed somewhere within the OU football facility.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    [QUOTE=Ruprecht;n967303]

Tax dollars hard at work.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1