First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

They also talk about this tweet from Cowturd and how too many Sooner fans were trolled by it
    They're right. There are far, far too many OU fan dipshits with very thin skin on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post
      Construction starts next week on the Venables Center with a new trophy case for his 21 National Championship Trophies.
      Only 21? IT AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Comment

A podcast from some guys who were there: Sooner Scoop
        They also talk about this tweet from Cowturd and how too many Sooner fans were trolled by it:
        Sources tell me this podcast was flawless. One observer noted, "Some are calling it the greatest podcast in the history of the Internet."

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post
          Construction starts next week on the Venables Center with a new trophy case for his 21 National Championship Trophies.
          I'm thankful the administration decided against claiming the extra 14 national championships we won from 1832-1876. I mean, c'mon, ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

Comment

We've got the best garbage posters, don't we folks?

Comment

I heard the first half of the practice was great, but the second half bogged down and they hung on to barely survive.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerBAS View Post
                I heard the first half of the practice was great, but the second half bogged down and they hung on to barely survive.

Comment

Practice, F that noise - Allen Iverson

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. X View Post
                    We've got the best garbage posters, don't we folks?

Why can’t we have more fun like this?

Comment

Originally posted by soonerBAS View Post
                      Practice is hard, but we're close.

Comment

https://twitter.com/soonergridiron/status/

Brent Venables' Scheme is 'Complex', but the Oklahoma Defense Loves the New Playbook

As the instillation of Brent Venables' defense presses on in Norman, the Sooner defense is raving about the new system.

NORMAN — Oklahoma is getting a crash course in defense.

Brent Venables’ defense, as the Sooners have begun the rapid instillation process on both sides of the ball under their new head coach.

And though it’s early, the players can already draw stark differences from Alex Grinch’s scheme.

“Not to discredit the old coaching staff, the old coaching staff was great,” cornerback D.J. Graham said after practice on Tuesday. “But this new coaching staff, they’ve brought a whole new philosophy to the table, whole new ideas and I love it.”

And while things are certainly more complicated with Venables’ defense, the players said they’re enjoying the challenge to pick up the new scheme.

“Honestly it’s been a task,” defensive back Key Lawrence said on Tuesday. “It’s been a lot more complex, but I love it. It’s been fun. The coaches have a lot of enthusiasm. They come, they care for us. They try their best with everything that’s been going on, so it’s been pretty fun.”

Every player has their own approach to picking up the new playbook and terminology.

For Lawrence, getting a new set of coaches and a different defensive system has become routine.

“What’s crazy is every year I’ve played football, I’ve had a new coach,” Lawrence said. “Even in high school. So it’s nothing really new to me.”

Others are just doing their best to relate to all of the new information.

Veteran players like linebacker DaShaun White are doing their best to find the similarities from last year’s defense and translate them to the new calls he’ll have to make on the field.

It's a little bit more complex,” White said on Tuesday. “A lot of things are also a lot similar. There's some calls that I can pair in my head to some things we ran in the past just so I can pick up on things a little quicker but definitely more complex.

“We give a lot more looks than just a few different things... We're going to throw a lot at offenses is essentially what I'm getting at.”

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                          https://twitter.com/soonergridiron/status/

Brent Venables' Scheme is 'Complex', but the Oklahoma Defense Loves the New Playbook

As the instillation of Brent Venables' defense presses on in Norman, the Sooner defense is raving about the new system.

NORMAN — Oklahoma is getting a crash course in defense.

Brent Venables’ defense, as the Sooners have begun the rapid instillation process on both sides of the ball under their new head coach.

And though it’s early, the players can already draw stark differences from Alex Grinch’s scheme.

“Not to discredit the old coaching staff, the old coaching staff was great,” cornerback D.J. Graham said after practice on Tuesday. “But this new coaching staff, they’ve brought a whole new philosophy to the table, whole new ideas and I love it.”

And while things are certainly more complicated with Venables’ defense, the players said they’re enjoying the challenge to pick up the new scheme.

“Honestly it’s been a task,” defensive back Key Lawrence said on Tuesday. “It’s been a lot more complex, but I love it. It’s been fun. The coaches have a lot of enthusiasm. They come, they care for us. They try their best with everything that’s been going on, so it’s been pretty fun.”

Every player has their own approach to picking up the new playbook and terminology.

For Lawrence, getting a new set of coaches and a different defensive system has become routine.

“What’s crazy is every year I’ve played football, I’ve had a new coach,” Lawrence said. “Even in high school. So it’s nothing really new to me.”

Others are just doing their best to relate to all of the new information.

Veteran players like linebacker DaShaun White are doing their best to find the similarities from last year’s defense and translate them to the new calls he’ll have to make on the field.

It's a little bit more complex,” White said on Tuesday. “A lot of things are also a lot similar. There's some calls that I can pair in my head to some things we ran in the past just so I can pick up on things a little quicker but definitely more complex.

“We give a lot more looks than just a few different things... We're going to throw a lot at offenses is essentially what I'm getting at.”

But are they SEC fast?

Comment

https://twitter.com/CoachVenables/status/

Comment

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ope...arch-25th-27th

Observations from Spring Practice Number Two
                              – Charlie S – Posted on: March 24, 2022

James was out at practice this morning for the allotted media viewing window.

Here are some of his takeaways…

Offensive line:

***Nate Anderson was working at center – So you had Andrew Raym, Robert Congel and Anderson. James said the Raym and Congel were very supportive and helped Anderson throughout the drills.

As James left practice he spoke to someone and brought up Anderson and was told ‘They are eally working on Anderson, he’s so athletic he could be an All-American’. So, while that is a long ways off, it is safe to say OU has not given up on Nate Anderson.

***Cal transfer McKade Mettauer was working at left guard with Marcus Alexander and Chirs Murray and Brey Walker were working at right guard.

***Brey Walker lining up at guard early in the spring is a good indication that he will likely focus solely on that position.

***Savion Byrd working at LT behind Anton Harrison and Wanya Morris was running at right tackle with Aaryn Parks

Special Teams:

***36 (Zach Schmit) can punt it

***Josh Plaster and Major Nelson were holders for kicks

***Schmit & Plaster were doing the kicking from what he saw

Quarterback:

***James said: ‘Nick Evers can really throw the damn ball….just looking at 2 days of practice Evers would be your backup…can throw the 18 out/dig in a similar fashion as Landry…his ball doesn’t need any arc…just zips it and puts it right on the hip of the receiver.

***Dillon being lefthanded makes the 18 out/dig look a bit awkward simply because it’s been so long since there was a lefthanded QB at OU, but he makes the throw well.

Defensive line:

***Jeffrey Johnson looks really quick and fast…kind of as advertised and welcome addition to the room

***Gilliam looks smaller than his listed weight, not sure where he eventually lines up this fall.

Linebackers:

***Ugwoegbu and White leading the linebacker group through their paces

***Kobie McKinzie looks really good moving at his size

***Kanak just a really good player, good athlete. Smooth in everything he does.

Will work to get some sourced notes from the team portion of the practice in the coming days/hours.

Sourced Practice Notes | Thursday, March 24th
                              – Charlie S – Posted on: March 24, 2022

Picked up a couple sourced notes for you all following today’s spring practice.

The Sooners hit the field for practice number 2 out of 15 allotted spring practices.

I will preface these notes with I am not sure of the format (such as 7v7 or team drills/position work) from the team portion of the days practice, but a source I spoke with noted the following:

***Was told Jalil Farooq made a couple circus catches today. Was told one he tipped to himself and one he pulled what source referred to as a ‘Jumpman’ type one-handed catch.

*** Eric Gray looks like the unquestioned leader of the running back room and was vocal in helping the other backs. Source made it seem like Gray has a bit of an edge to him while on the field. ‘Edge’ being a positive, no monkey business like approach when it’s practice time.

*** Source said Jason Llewellyn moves really well for a kid his size and added ‘I bet he gets his share of PT but Daniel Parker is gonna surprise people with his athleticism also’.

***Was told ‘DB’s look like they can cover again’. Saw a pick, source believed it was Morrison that they saw but didn’t catch the number. Said the coverage, in general, looked noticeably improved. Before I jump in on this boat, I will have to see/hear more from additional sources, but this is a positive start.

***Was told that David Ugwoegbu stood out with his energy and voice among the linebackers. Sounds like more guys stepping up in leadership-type roles.

***Source said Drake Stoops and Theo Wease both were able to get consistent separation. Source did note that the WRs did have a couple drops which they referred to as ‘uncharacteristic’

That is what we have so far!

Comment

https://twitter.com/OU_Football/status/

Comment

This was pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/OUgolfHYBL/status/

Comment

Originally posted by Bootleggers Boy View Post

Tom Clancy died in 2013, but word has it he had a vision. He had already penned the final chapter, and it was the inspiration King needed to write the rest of the novel.
                                    My stepson had some signed Tom Clancy books. He was a big fan of Clancy. Went somewhere one time to a book signing. Sadly my stepson passed in 2016.

Comment

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ope...arch-25th-27th

***Josh Plaster and Major Nelson were holders for kicks
                                      Was Jeanie the kicker?
                                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

Podcast on the Prairie featuring The Weatherman.
                                        Jeremiah and Brayden talk life updates and welcome on Sooner sensation, Jaden Knowles (aka: The Weatherman).
                                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

Podcast on the Prairie featuring The Weatherman.
                                          By the way, I listened to this podcast this morning. It was recorded on Monday, so before spring practice began.

J Hall talked about his meeting with BV the day before his pro day, and how much it fired him up. Said he wishes he could have played for BV.
                                          Live Free or Die!

Comment

Comment

It freaks me out when a head coach actually enjoys press conferences. Coach V is bat shit crazy and I dig it.

Comment

Was Jeanie the kicker?
                                                In before someone Bellows about you being a Healy.

Comment

Listening to Bowman and others just confirms what we already knew. LR didn’t want us returning kicks, Just fair catch. That just blows my mind that a coach could so casually disregard ST as if they don’t make a difference. It’s 1/3 of the game and he dismisses it because he’s thinks his offense can overcome anything. He was dead wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                                                    Listening to Bowman and others just confirms what we already knew. LR didn’t want us returning kicks, Just fair catch. That just blows my mind that a coach could so casually disregard ST as if they don’t make a difference. It’s 1/3 of the game and he dismisses it because he’s thinks his offense can overcome anything. He was dead wrong.
                                                    Yes, he is wrong and yes, he’s dead to me

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
                                                      It freaks me out when a head coach actually enjoys press conferences. Coach V is bat shit crazy and I dig it.
                                                      Brent is what my dad is fond of calling a "buller"-- short for bullshitter. Not that Brent is spewing BS, but the man likes to talk.

Comment

I’m going to have unreasonable expectations if we end up with Woodi, DJ, Key, and Billy as the starting secondary

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                                                          Well to be honest, due to the rule changes, most kicks now go into the endzone. So if ur starting 5 yards back, you gotta go 25yds to make it to the 20.

And how many returns are ever for 25yds or more? Not a ton.

So really it's better to fair catch more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasooner View Post

Well to be honest, due to the rule changes, most kicks now go into the endzone. So if ur starting 5 yards back, you gotta go 25yds to make it to the 20.

I saw OU return a bunch of kicks to the 15 or 20 the last couple years. That was the worst part. Ideally, put enough work into it to be dangerous. If you’re not going to do that, leave it alone every time. Repeatedly getting shoddy return attempts blown up for effectively a 10-yard loss and taking unnecessary hits in the process is the height of the undisciplined garbage that we came to expect in the back half of LR’s tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

I’m going to have unreasonable expectations if we end up with Woodi, DJ, Key, and Billy as the starting secondary
                                                              I'm Curious how the portal guys will fit into the defensive backfield picture. And I suppose there is a chance that one of the guys who have been waiting in the wings will emerge.

Comment

If his offense is so great, why is he afraid of starting at the 20 vs the 25? Or starting at the 12 vs the 25?
                                                                Its not just Lincoln Riley… Bob Stoops let up on aggressive special teams play after the DeMarco Murray injury, as well.

Those who excel on special teams stand out big time usually. Because generally speaking you take even a great offense and a great defense, they’re going to have a few plays they swing and miss on each game. Those big time ST plays kind of stitch it all together. They also tend to save your ass if ever your team isn’t all that on one side or the other. See Allbarn’s “kick six” that put them in the SECCG and BCSNCG.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

I saw OU return a bunch of kicks to the 15 or 20 the last couple years. That was the worst part. Ideally, put enough work into it to be dangerous. If you’re not going to do that, leave it alone every time. Repeatedly getting shoddy return attempts blown up for effectively a 10-yard loss and taking unnecessary hits in the process is the height of the undisciplined garbage that we came to expect in the back half of LR’s tenure.
                                                                  I think we missed Shane Beamer.
                                                                  Live Free or Die!

Comment

It’s not hard. Stand at goal line, if you can field ball in front of you go for it or if it’s going to go past you run to the sideline and get ready for the next play.

Comment

I think we missed Shane Beamer.
                                                                      He’s going to take over when Venebles calls it quits.

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post

He’s going to take over when Venebles calls it quits.
                                                                        We'll know to start making another statue when he turns down Auburn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

I'm Curious how the portal guys will fit into the defensive backfield picture. And I suppose there is a chance that one of the guys who have been waiting in the wings will emerge.
                                                                          I think Trey Morrison will start somewhere.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Josh_Scoop/status/

Comment

#88
                                                                              https://twitter.com/LeeBensonNews9/status/

Comment

#89

Comment

#90
                                                                                  https://twitter.com/EricBaileyTW/status/

NORMAN – Billy Bowman just wants his time to shine.

The Oklahoma sophomore defensive back craves learning to be an expert at one position. He imagines returning kicks through traffic. He can’t wait to produce for his new defensively-minded head coach.

Bowman can’t wait to mark up the clean slate he is receiving this spring.

On Monday, Brent Venables started jawing adjectives describing Bowman’s game: “Incredibly talented. Great instincts. Tremendous skill set. Great toughness. Very intelligent. Can do a lot of things.”

Without taking a breath, Venables then described a different plan than the past coaching staff. Bowman went from nickel to cornerback to barely seeing the field during the 2021 campaign.

“We’re just trying to get him to be really good at one thing. Sometimes when you do too much too soon, everything’s neutralized. All your ability, your instincts, your intelligence,” Venables said. “Most of the time, it’s that way for a freshman. You gotta be that dude, a generational type of person, at any position, to pick up everything right away. I think for injury and things of that nature, he had to be forced into different spots.

“So we’re really trying to have him focus at safety and put him in position there where he can play in space, use his ability, cover a lot of grass and play man technique, all those type of things.”

The words were music to Bowman’s ears. For most freshmen, adjusting to one position can be a shock. But learning to play multiple spots at a high level? It was a chore.

“It was, at points, frustrating. But I was able to fight through it and have a great mindset and learn everything I could and do the best that I can,” Bowman said.

Bowman played in 11 games last year with seven starts (including the season opener at nickel against Tulane). He shifted to cornerback during the midseason, drawing starts against TCU and Kansas before his time on the field began to evaporate.

Focusing on safety will be beneficial, he said.

“I feel like it’s really built my confidence being able to stick at one position. As of now, I feel like it’s just learning that position and becoming great at that one position before moving onto something else,” Bowman said, before later adding, “Being moved around a lot, like I said, probably cost me some opportunities at different spots. I’m a good teammate. I’m going to support my teammates. I’m going to do my role, whatever it is, and do it to the best of my abilities.”

Comment

#91
                                                                                    https://twitter.com/LeeBensonNews9/status/
                                                                                    I like it.

Comment

#92
                                                                                      I was hoping we'd move Bowman back to the offensive side of the ball. Seems small for a safety, hell even small for a DB in BV's system.

Comment

#93
                                                                                        Originally posted by 49cent View Post

If his offense is so great, why is he afraid of starting at the 20 vs the 25? Or starting at the 12 vs the 25?
                                                                                        Its not just Lincoln Riley… Bob Stoops let up on aggressive special teams play after the DeMarco Murray injury, as well.

Those who excel on special teams stand out big time usually. Because generally speaking you take even a great offense and a great defense, they’re going to have a few plays they swing and miss on each game. Those big time ST plays kind of stitch it all together. They also tend to save your ass if ever your team isn’t all that on one side or the other. See Allbarn’s “kick six” that put them in the SECCG and BCSNCG.
                                                                                        Touchback on kick offs goes to the 25. Same if you fair catch a kickoff from the end zone up to the 25.

Comment

#94
                                                                                          https://stormininnorman.com/2022/03/...nship-formula/

Brent Venables knows championship formula
                                                                                          by Aaron Gelvin 03/30/22

The College Football Playoff is entering its ninth year of existence, and the Oklahoma football Sooners have appeared in four of the eight previous Playoffs. Unfortunately, the Sooners have lost in the semifinal round each time, the last three with former head coach that nobody from Muleshoe, TX aka carpetbagger extraordinaire at the helm.

The team was shocked along with the rest of the college football world in late November when that nobody from Muleshoe, TX aka carpetbagger extraordinaire bolted for USC, and a mass exodus of transfers and decommitments quickly followed. Many said the Sooners had taken a step back in the college football pecking order. Then along came Brent Venables, who has given Oklahoma fans hope and a reason to believe that one step backward could eventually mean two steps forward.

That’s because the teams that have won championships in the College Football Playoff era have all had one thing in common; one formula that has helped them achieve their ultimate goal. To win a championship in this era of college football, you either need to be an SEC team, or you need to play like one. This means that defense is the bedrock of the program and is able to take over and win games when it needs to, but the offense can fly up and down the field and put points on the board against anyone as well.

Ohio State was the first champion of the CFP era in 2014, led by Urban Meyer who built his teams in Columbus the same way he built his Florida teams that won two national championships in the SEC in the back half of the 2000s.

Alabama has been the gold standard in college football under Nick Saban and has owned the CFP, winning championships in 2015, 2017 and 2020. The offenses of those years had varying levels of effectiveness, and the Tide haven’t always been as good on offense as they were in 2020. But defense is always the focus and the constant under Saban.

The 2021 Georgia Bulldogs, led by Saban disciple Kirby Smart, had such a great defense that they only needed a satisfactory offense, which they got en route to knocking out Bama in Indianapolis earlier this year.

LSU in 2019 is the only champion of the playoff era who had a significant gap in effectiveness between offense and defense in favor of the “O”. The Tigers ranked 32nd in opponent points per game that year (the Sooners came in at 64th) with the country’s best offense. Still, Ed Orgeron’s defense made plays when needed and had NFL talent all over the field such as: K’lavon Chaisson, Patrick Queen, Grant Delpit, Kristian Fulton, Jacob Phillips, Rashard Lawrence, and Derek Stingley.

And. of course, the only team besides Alabama that has won multiple national titles in the CFP era is Clemson with rings from 2016 and 2018. Dabo Swinney and Brent Venables built the only team that has consistently stood nose-to-nose with Alabama and the SEC since 2015. They are also 2-1 against Ohio State in that same period of time, all in the semifinal round.

Oklahoma’s offense has been phenomenal since 2015, but it takes complementary football led by the defense to win a championship in college football. For reference, here are OU’s rankings in opponent points per game compared to the national champion from each year of the Playoff according to sports-reference.com.

2014 Ohio State: 26th Oklahoma: 56th
                                                                                          2015 Alabama: 3rd Oklahoma: 29th
                                                                                          2016 Clemson: 10th Oklahoma: 69th
                                                                                          2017 Alabama: 1st Oklahoma: 68th
                                                                                          2018 Clemson: 1st Oklahoma: 101st
                                                                                          2019 LSU: 32nd Oklahoma: 64th
                                                                                          2020 Alabama: 13th Oklahoma: 29th
                                                                                          2021 Georgia: 1st Oklahoma: 60th

At OU’s best, they could barely crack the top 30, while the standard for Alabama, Georgia and Clemson is the best in the country. Each of the powerhouses in the sport also have great offenses to boot.

Under Venables, Oklahoma must make defense the focus in order to win championships, not just win the Big 12 and make playoff appearances. They must smother even the best offenses and control games. They must recruit and develop NFL-level talent and athletic freaks the way Venables did over the last decade at Clemson. And they must continue to score at will and will need to physically overwhelm teams offensively.

The good news is, Brent Venables knows what it feels like to have that jewelry on his hands and will no-doubt make a commitment to the defensive side of the ball like Sooner fans haven’t seen in years.

Comment

#95
                                                                                            https://twitter.com/_TheoWeaseJr/status/

Comment

#96
                                                                                              https://twitter.com/EricBaileyTW/status/

Comment

#97
                                                                                                https://twitter.com/CoachVenables/status/
                                                                                                I really hope this translates to wins, because the energy we're seeing this year is way different from what we saw with Riley. Predator and prey isn't something I would have ever expected to hear under Riley, but I love it. That's football mentality--just go out there and hit. Knock the ever-living fuck out of someone.

Comment

#98
                                                                                                  Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

I really hope this translates to wins, because the energy we're seeing this year is way different from what we saw with Riley. Predator and prey isn't something I would have ever expected to hear under Riley, but I love it. That's football mentality--just go out there and hit. Knock the ever-living fuck out of someone.
                                                                                                  Just not after the whistle blows like we did last season.

Comment

#99
                                                                                                    https://twitter.com/soonersonly/status/

Comment

Barnes trucked T.D. Roof. Yikes! I'm hype for the upcoming season.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1