First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoonerSpock View Post

Talk to me after the 2027 and 2028 seasons.
    OK? Not sure what that has to do with the post I commented on or my comment tho. You act like OU (and even TX) won't get a bump in recruiting from "SEC SEC SEC". There's a lot to watch pan out. Your comment was irrelevant to the discussion, but more than that, you KEPT POSTING IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

OK? Not sure what that has to do with the post I commented on or my comment tho. You act like OU (and even TX) won't get a bump in recruiting from "SEC SEC SEC". There's a lot to watch pan out. Your comment was irrelevant to the discussion, but more than that, you KEPT POSTING IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER.
      Apparently you keep reading it over and over and over while the point remains germane despite a disregard by many here.
      Last edited by SoonerSpock; 04-30-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Apparently you keep reading it over and over and over while the point remains germane despite a disregard by many here.
        No one's really disregarding it, they just disagree. The discussion is about OU competing in the CURRENT state of the SEC. They've been pretty competitive against them outside of a game or two for the past 20 years...even without a defense for much of the past 10 years. Your statement is silly. You're using national championship games as the measuring stick for whether OU will be competitive. Maybe reread the thread topic.

Comment

No one's really disregarding it, they just disagree. The discussion is about OU competing in the CURRENT state of the SEC. They've been pretty competitive against them outside of a game or two for the past 20 years...even without a defense for much of the past 10 years. Your statement is silly. You're using national championship games as the measuring stick for whether OU will be competitive. Maybe reread the thread topic.
          To each their own opinion. Time will tell. Hence my reference to looking back after the Sooners have 3 years play in the SEC. I predict zero SEC championship games for the Sooners after 3 years in the SEC with about 3 SEC CCGs/decade. Competitive but very disappointing for OU fans in general.

Comment

The SEC is going to get bigger. Texas and Oklahoma will be joining to expand the conference to 16 teams. But when exactly is that going to happen?

There’s been speculation that the Longhorns and Sooners could potentially get out of their contracts with the Big 12 and make the jump before the initial target date in 2025. However,
            SEC commissioner Greg Sankey spoke about the topic on “SEC Nation” on Saturday and indicated that that is unlikely to happen.

“We’ve talked about the ‘25 season,” Sankey said on the show (h/t Riley Gates of 247Sports.com). “[Friday with Big 12 expansion] was an interesting day. Everybody has relationships, a lot of work to do, we’re focused on ‘25. We wanted to be respectful, even though when you go through conference transition, people will throw that back at me. But credit to the SEC and the University of Texas, and the U niversity of Oklahoma, who wanted to be a part of this great conference. We’re going to have an orderly transition and that’s why we’re focused on ‘25. But I’m a pretty adaptable person.”

It could be difficult for Texas and Oklahoma to try to get out of the Big 12 earlier than that.

“I don’t know that it is possible, honestly, because there are contractual relationships involving their current conference,” Sankey said, per Gates. “But we have a forward-looking thought process. Part of my responsibility is to be prepared when you have those outreach and we’ll see.”

So the 2 newest members of the SEC may not actually be in the conference for several more years. Eventually, the Longhorns and Sooners will arrive, making the SEC even more competitive than it already is.

Fans are just going to have to wait a bit before getting to see that happen.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...rget-date/amp/

Comment

Outdated article. Mods please merge with thread “Texas and Oklahoma, You really want the SEC?” Thanks

Comment

To each their own opinion. Time will tell. Hence my reference to looking back after the Sooners have 3 years play in the SEC. I predict zero SEC championship games for the Sooners after 3 years in the SEC with about 3 SEC CCGs/decade. Competitive but very disappointing for OU fans in general.
                I like yer style, Spock. Don’t be shy or bullied here. You are speaking the truth. I will back you and guarantee NO SECCG for the Sooners in first 3 years. Nada. And be damn lucky to score ONE in a decade. UNO. I’d be surprised if two even tho I have mucho respect for OU and their history.

They are walking in to a different animal here. And Fkn TX as well. TX should have went to the PAC and hope they win there so they could say they won a conference. Be the only feather in their collective hat past that.

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

I like yer style, Spock. Don’t be shy or bullied here. You are speaking the truth. I will back you and guarantee NO SECCG for the Sooners in first 3 years. Nada. And be damn lucky to score ONE in a decade. UNO. I’d be surprised if two even tho I have mucho respect for OU and their history.

They are walking in to a different animal here. And Fkn TX as well. TX should have went to the PAC and hope they win there so they could say they won a conference. Be the only feather in their collective hat past that.
                  Although I think you are understating OU's chances of winning their division in the SEC per decade I don't think this is out of the realm of reality of what could happen.

It's SEC fan that insists that OU is going to go 6-6 to 8-4 every year that many of us have a problem with. And I don't really have a problem with that other than having to hear it for years before we actually get to play on the field (which we have already discussed).

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

Although I think you are understating OU's chances of winning their division in the SEC per decade I don't think this is out of the realm of reality of what could happen.

It's SEC fan that insists that OU is going to go 6-6 to 8-4 every year that many of us have a problem with. And I don't really have a problem with that other than having to hear it for years before we actually get to play on the field (which we have already discussed).

I concur. While the Sooners will likely lose an additional conference game or two in the SEC they will continue to be one of the top 3-4 SEC teams. A rare 8-4 season perhaps but 6-6 no way. Over their first 5 years in the SEC I see OU on average going 9-3 with a year or two at 10-2 and/or 11-1. But 9-3 seasons traditionally anger the OU fandom and they will have to make that adjustment playing in the SEC.

The administration and coaches fully understand the consequences of the transition to the SEC. I don't think the OU fans truly do. JMHO!

Comment

I concur. While the Sooners will likely lose an additional conference game or two in the SEC they will continue to be one of the top 3-4 SEC teams. A rare 8-4 season perhaps but 6-6 no way. Over their first 5 years in the SEC I see OU on average going 9-3 with a year or two at 10-2 and/or 11-1. But 9-3 seasons traditionally anger the OU fandom and they will have to make that adjustment playing in the SEC.

The administration and coaches fully understand the consequences of the transition to the SEC. I don't think the OU fans truly do. JMHO!
                      Not to belabor the point, but if they go 10-2/11-1, I damn near bet a paycheck they are - at the VERY least - in the CCG. That seems to go against your earlier contentions.

Comment

Not to belabor the point, but if they go 10-2/11-1, I damn near bet a paycheck they are - at the VERY least - in the CCG. That seems to go against your earlier contentions.
                        Perhaps with my emphasis on the competitive nature of the SEC in this thread has been misleading. But consistently on the website I have projected the Sooners to play for and perhaps win 2-3 SEC championships per decade. Hopefully with the change to Venables as HC OU will be able to elevate that an additional CCG per decade. To me 3-4 CCG/decade would be outstanding performance.

We also cannot forget that historically the SEC football championship has been shared equally my multiple schools until Nick Saban got to Alabama and won his first SEC championship. In the 30 years prior to that the SEC was won by or shared by Florida 8 times, Georgia 5, Tennessee 5, Auburn 5, LSU 5 and Alabama 5. I strongly suspect post Saban the winner of the SEC will more closely assimilate what it was prior to Saban. JMHO.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...entering-2019/

Comment

PSA for Mr. Pibb fans who frequent this board. On behalf of OU fans, you're welcome. Congratulations to Joe and ESPN + for making it happen. SEC football schedule for 2023 should be released in (?) September?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                          X
                          UA-124223861-1