Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ped State's rape problem

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-bring-justice

This is a looooong article about a psu player in the late 70s who was a serial rapist. It goes into a lot if detail about him and his crimes and the victims. If you don't wanna read the whole thing then you have to skip around and find the parts that relate to psu and Paterno.

It appears Paterno handled it the same way he handled the Sandusky thing. Keep it quiet, suppress info, and football above all else. Some of the victims talk about getting phone calls from Joe. They say they initially they believed he was calling to express concern for them but as the conversation went on it was pretty apparent it was concern for the program and maybe a little bit of intimidation.

I recall when the whole Sandusky thing was in the news that I read in one article that as they uncovered more evidence it looked like Joe had been aware of Sandusky's behavior as early as the mid 70s.

Paterno acted like he was a straight-laced, letter-of-the-law, by-the-book guy but in reality he used his facade of morality as a weapon.

Capozzoli counters, "Why would I lie?" and adds, "To a fault, [Paterno] put the program ahead of everything else."

Originally posted by traxx View Post
    https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-bring-justice

This is a looooong article about a psu player in the late 70s who was a serial rapist. It goes into a lot if detail about him and his crimes and the victims. If you don't wanna read the whole thing then you have to skip around and find the parts that relate to psu and Paterno.

It appears Paterno handled it the same way he handled the Sandusky thing. Keep it quiet, suppress info, and football above all else. Some of the victims talk about getting phone calls from Joe. They say they initially they believed he was calling to express concern for them but as the conversation went on it was pretty apparent it was concern for the program and maybe a little bit of intimidation.

I recall when the whole Sandusky thing was in the news that I read in one article that as they uncovered more evidence it looked like Joe had been aware of Sandusky's behavior as early as the mid 70s.

Paterno acted like he was a straight-laced, letter-of-the-law, by-the-book guy but in reality he used his facade of morality as a weapon.
    There’s a special on ESPN this Monday about Joe Pa and the whole scandal.

Comment

In that article Joe Pa told someone that he didn't know a woman could have sex with 2 men at the same time.

Comment

I know a couple Penn State grads. Both are great people. Both are still huge Joe Pa fans. Both still hate OU because of the 1986 Orange Bowl.

I don't think Joe Pa was evil. I think he was a product of his time/place. I think Sandusky is evil.

Comment

So 'State Penn' is now back in the news. Doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post
            I know a couple Penn State grads. Both are great people. Both are still huge Joe Pa fans. Both still hate OU because of the 1986 Orange Bowl.

I don't think Joe Pa was evil. I think he was a product of his time/place. I think Sandusky is evil.
            I don't think he was evil. He had his head in the sand, and the things that happened he could not even conceive of in his naive mind, so he blotted the reports out.
            Live Free or Die!

Comment

I don't think joe was evil but I also don't believe he was naive, innocent, or a product of the time. He definitely put his program above the well being of individuals that had no power. Like I said, it's been reported that there's evidence Joe knew about Jerry as early as around 1974. It's been several years since I've read tast but I'll see if I can find it on the internet.

I'm appalled that school still has a football program. The way I saw students and alumni react to the Sandusky scandal made my skin crawl. They dont deserve a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

I don't think he was evil. He had his head in the sand, and the things that happened he could not even conceive of in his naive mind, so he blotted the reports out.
                Yeah, I don't even know if it's naivety, I think it's more like "c'mon man, don't tell me this shit." Nobody wants to accept/hear/believe something like what Sandusky was doing there.

Comment

I don't think joe was evil but I also don't believe he was naive, innocent, or a product of the time. He definitely put his program above the well being of individuals that had no power. Like I said, it's been reported that there's evidence Joe knew about Jerry as early as around 1974. It's been several years since I've read tast but I'll see if I can find it on the internet.

I'm appalled that school still has a football program. The way I saw students and alumni react to the Sandusky scandal made my skin crawl. They dont deserve a team.
                  Meh. You don't know what happened there. I mean what really happened there. All any of us knows is what the media has reported, and that Sandusky is a pedophile who deserves nothing short of a bullet to the brain. Times were different then in terms of reporting shit like this. Hell, shit like divorce and adultery were hushed up in those days. Nowadays, with all the social media, the woke crowd, the bleeding hearts, and the multitudes of people who have no life so they go around living their lives through others' deeds, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. Hell, it couldn't. Way too much scrutiny.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. Paterno was evil. Fuck him and his bullshit goody-two-shoes act.

Comment

All people who wear pop bottle glasses, use vitalis and dress in a manner that would embarrass Bill Snyder are evil.

Comment

If they're still Joe Pa fans, they're not great people.

Great people don't continue to revere someone like that once the depth of the depravity becomes known.

Comment

Meh. You don't know what happened there. I mean what really happened there. All any of us knows is what the media has reported, and that Sandusky is a pedophile who deserves nothing short of a bullet to the brain. Times were different then in terms of reporting shit like this. Hell, shit like divorce and adultery were hushed up in those days. Nowadays, with all the social media, the woke crowd, the bleeding hearts, and the multitudes of people who have no life so they go around living their lives through others' deeds, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. Hell, it couldn't. Way too much scrutiny.
                          I can't get in line with the times were different then rhetoric. I was a kid in the 70s so I wasn't a full grown adult with awareness but I'm pretty sure people at the time would've viewed raping children as bad.

No, I wasn't there. I don't have first hand knowledge of what went on. But it seems pretty likely that what happened was a cover up to protect the program. And it was easier to cover up at the time. But with 4 decades of evidence and victims piling up and technology making it more difficult to eliminate a paper trail, it became too much to cover up and it finally came out that a high ranking member of the football staff had been raping children for years.

Comment

Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post

Great people don't continue to revere someone like that once the depth of the depravity becomes known.
                            Really? Depravity? How many kids did Joe Pa fuck again? Get off your high fucking horse. Jeezus.

He didn't report it. Yes, that's bad, but he didn't live in today's world where everything is on everyone's phone. He lived in the world where the church covered up for the priests and that's just the way it was.

Are you a Switzer fan? I damn sure am. He fucked up too, but I consider the times and I love the King and I'm a great person.

Comment

I can't get in line with the times were different then rhetoric. I was a kid in the 70s so I wasn't a full grown adult with awareness but I'm pretty sure people at the time would've viewed raping children as bad.

No, I wasn't there. I don't have first hand knowledge of what went on. But it seems pretty likely that what happened was a cover up to protect the program. And it was easier to cover up at the time. But with 4 decades of evidence and victims piling up and technology making it more difficult to eliminate a paper trail, it became too much to cover up and it finally came out that a high ranking member of the football staff had been raping children for years.
                              I'm pretty sure it wasn't like Joe Pa knew kids were actually being fucked in his locker room until the bitter end when the details came out. I'm sure he didn't sit down with Sandusky and say "so you're sodomizing young boys in the shower huh? We better cover it up and run some damage control." Riiiight.

He was guilty of trying to forget about it, sweep it under the rug, ignore it and maybe it would go away type of deal.

Comment

People continue to donate to churches and charities where scandals have occurred. Or politicians who have engaged in scandalous activity.
                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post
                                  I respectfully disagree. Paterno was evil. Fuck him and his bullshit goody-two-shoes act.
                                  I guess you haven't spent much time around old, Italian Catholics. He was a goody two shoes. Only he hired a perverted psychopath and didn't pay attention when someone reported shenanigans.

I think some of y'all watch too much TV.

Comment

keep it quiet, suppress info, and football above all else. .
                                    that's never happened at any other university in any sport.

or ...

it happens everywhere in every discipline.

which is more true?

Comment

If you want to get pissed at Paterno now...

All you have to do is read his forward to Switzer's book.

My favorite line is this one...

"This is an important book because it shows a side of big time college football that, to be frank with you, I naively didn't really believe existed."

It's pretty wild to read this in retrospect considering Paterno may have known about Sandusky when he wrote this.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it wasn't like Joe Pa knew kids were actually being fucked in his locker room until the bitter end when the details came out. I'm sure he didn't sit down with Sandusky and say "so you're sodomizing young boys in the shower huh? We better cover it up and run some damage control." Riiiight.

He was guilty of trying to forget about it, sweep it under the rug, ignore it and maybe it would go away type of deal.
                                        They probably didn't have that exact conversation but I think he knew well before the bitter end. At the bitter end, it finally caught up with him. I think the keeping it quiet part is the reason Sandusky was moved to a less prominent role.

This is probably not the exact article that I read about Joe knowing but it says some of the same stuff.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...icle-1.3482593

Court documents, revealed by the Washington Post in 2016, say Paterno was aware of Sandusky abusing young boys as far back as 1976.
                                        Last edited by traxx; 04-12-2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

that's never happened at any other university in any sport.

or ...

it happens everywhere in every discipline.

which is more true?
                                          As far as those women being raped? Probably more true than not. As far as child rape? At one time I thought it less likely to be true but the more that comes out over the years, I sadly believe it's pretty prevalent in society. Very sad but true.

Comment

How could one even out himself as a PSU fan? They'll be Pedo State forever. I 100% agree with the midnight candle vigils for Joe Paterno. Very disturbing. I mean, wtf was wrong with them??

Comment

Originally posted by Morningwood View Post

I mean, wtf was wrong with them??

“Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.”

James Carville

Comment

Nigel Clay and Bernard Hall recommend not looking back in time to point fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                                                  If you want to get pissed at Paterno now...

All you have to do is read his forward to Switzer's book.

My favorite line is this one...

"This is an important book because it shows a side of big time college football that, to be frank with you, I naively didn't really believe existed."

It's pretty wild to read this in retrospect considering Paterno may have known about Sandusky when he wrote this.
                                                  I remember his response, I think to a question about when he was going to retire, and he said “I just don’t want to leave college football to the. Barry Switzers and Jackie Sherrills of the world.”

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post

I remember his response, I think to a question about when he was going to retire, and he said “I just don’t want to leave college football to the. Barry Switzers and Jackie Sherrills of the world.”
                                                    Wow. Y'all are deep into ancient, revisionist history tonight.

Comment

Explain

Comment

If being "woke" and having a "bleeding heart" ensures shit like that doesn't happen; then I would hope we would all agree that being "woke" and having a "bleeding heart" are a good things; yet the way you say them it doesn't appear you think this is progress.

Comment

Anyone defending Michael Jackson yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BrokebackSooner View Post

If being "woke" and having a "bleeding heart" ensures shit like that doesn't happen; then I would hope we would all agree that being "woke" and having a "bleeding heart" are a good things; yet the way you say them it doesn't appear you think this is progress.
                                                            “Ensures shit like this doesn’t happen?” Seriously? You typed that with a straight face? The only way to ensure shit like this never happens is to nuke the entire planet. You think wearing a pink pussy hat and being angry all the time = progress? I don’t. For every Child out there, there’s a thousand Sanduskys preying on them. Woke ain’t got a thing to do with preventing these fucks from acting on their perversions.

Comment

This:

If someone hasn’t quoted it

Tines are diff.

Comment

Really? Depravity? How many kids did Joe Pa fuck again? Get off your high fucking horse. Jeezus.

He didn't report it. Yes, that's bad, but he didn't live in today's world where everything is on everyone's phone. He lived in the world where the church covered up for the priests and that's just the way it was.

Are you a Switzer fan? I damn sure am. He fucked up too, but I consider the times and I love the King and I'm a great person.
                                                                Sly, fuck yourself. Paterno didn't have to fuck any kids to have played a role in that depravity. Sandusky was his friend, and he did not report his friend's disgusting proclivities. Therefore he, and the PSU administration, are complicit in decades of horrific crimes against children for their roles in covering it up.

Rationalizing anything as the "norm" of the day is horseshit. The church cover-up was no less disgusting, and for you to use that as some pale, pathetic attempt to excuse what Paterno did is at best disturbing.

And for you to claim any moral ground with your "high horse" nonsense, well, you're a loathsome piece of shit. Fuck you, and go exhume your parents and give both of them a good buggering. That would be about par for the course for someone who in any way could find it in their heart to rationalize what happened in Nittanyville.

Oh, and Stinger, if you agree with this vile filth, fuck you too.

Comment

People continue to donate to churches and charities where scandals have occurred. Or politicians who have engaged in scandalous activity.
                                                                  Not people with a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel O’Truth View Post

The story I have heard, maybe it was in Barry's book, was that JoePa made that statement before he ever met Barry.

Then one time they were together at a coach's convention, and Barry spent some time with JoePa and his wife, and they became friends.
                                                                    Live Free or Die!

Comment

Sly, fuck yourself. Paterno didn't have to fuck any kids to have played a role in that depravity. Sandusky was his friend, and he did not report his friend's disgusting proclivities. Therefore he, and the PSU administration, are complicit in decades of horrific crimes against children for their roles in covering it up.

Rationalizing anything as the "norm" of the day is horseshit. The church cover-up was no less disgusting, and for you to use that as some pale, pathetic attempt to excuse what Paterno did is at best disturbing.

And for you to claim any moral ground with your "high horse" nonsense, well, you're a loathsome piece of shit. Fuck you, and go exhume your parents and give both of them a good buggering. That would be about par for the course for someone who in any way could find it in their heart to rationalize what happened in Nittanyville.

Oh, and Stinger, if you agree with this vile filth, fuck you too.
                                                                      Such anger and faux righteous indignation. Maybe you should cancel him. Oh wait, too late…

Are you always so simple minded? How old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

This:

If someone hasn’t quoted it

Tines are diff.
                                                                        I'm going to refer to my post up thread; I'm pretty sure child rape was looked at as evil even back in the mid 70s. If you think a different era makes child rape (or rape of any kind) ok then maybe OU should rethink joining the SEC if that's how you think down there.

Comment

Such anger and faux righteous indignation. Maybe you should cancel him. Oh wait, too late…

Are you always so simple minded? How old are you?
                                                                          Age has nothing to do with the matter. How you cannot see the --, you know what, never mind. You are an absolute mongoloid, and there's no point of trying to reason with a defective like yourself.

Comment

The story I have heard, maybe it was in Barry's book, was that JoePa made that statement before he ever met Barry.

Then one time they were together at a coach's convention, and Barry spent some time with JoePa and his wife, and they became friends.
                                                                            I guess they got to know each other because of the fact that they both went with Nike and went on trips together. In that same forward that he wrote for Bootleggers boy Paterno wrote about how he and Barry had "different values and lifestyles".

Like most people do when they meet Switzer... "he liked him", "great guy" and all that. But there were some people of his generation and older that just didn't respect Switzer and that generation was big on that "it's better to be respected than to be liked" axiom.

In his book Switzer likens himself to Jay Gatsby which indicates that he was acutely aware of that phenomenon as well.

I've always thought that Barry was seeking that "respect" when he had Paterno write the forward in his book. And Paterno tried his best to give it to him without but just couldn't get there.

In the end, most of those older guys who didn't "respect" Switzer are gone now and he doesn't have to deal with that so much anymore. Ironically, Switzer will die with more respect and less stigma than did the guy that he was seeking that respect from when Switzer wrote his book.

Comment

#39
                                                                              It’s all terrible, but PSU is just too big to fail. Huge alumni network and a lot of them donate.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Guilt, by association, is guilt.I've listened to my dad and uncles and enough people to know, and have witnessed enough to know that this type of behavior has never been tolerated when discovered where I grew up. Too many fields for crops, too many deep holes in rivers and lakes, too many brush piles that needed burning, too many hogs to feed. It doesn't make things right for the victims, nothing ever will, but it can damn sure keep the numbers of victims from growing.

Comment

#41

Not people with a soul.
                                                                                  I didn't think your ilk believed in a soul.

Yeah, what happened at Penn St. is horrible. Beyond horrible. But humor me for a minute here. I'll even use a simile, if you will. My pop was born in the 1920s. If you came up to him any time in his life and said "I heard tell so and so was cornholing children in the shower" (which obviously isn't what JoePa was told), my pop literally wouldn't believe you. He wouldn't/couldn't believe that type of act was even possible. Especially if he knew the guy, respected the guy, or such. It'd be like when the stable, upstanding family man with 3 kids blows his brains out. Disbelief.

I know people like you have been brainwashed and are experts at monday morning QBing every situation - especially the ones where the media is sensationalizing everything, but I look at everything before I make a call. JoePa was guilty of not believing/reporting a heinous situation. He never touched a kid. He paid for those crimes with his reputation - and he might even be paying for those sins in the hereafter. Who knows? I am at least intelligent enough to separate the rapist from the enabler.

So mongoloid this, exhume your own parents and butt fuck them, and piss off.

Comment

#42

I didn't think your ilk believed in a soul.

Yeah, what happened at Penn St. is horrible. Beyond horrible. But humor me for a minute here. I'll even use a simile, if you will. My pop was born in the 1920s. If you came up to him any time in his life and said "I heard tell so and so was cornholing children in the shower" (which obviously isn't what JoePa was told), my pop literally wouldn't believe you. He wouldn't/couldn't believe that type of act was even possible. Especially if he knew the guy, respected the guy, or such. It'd be like when the stable, upstanding family man with 3 kids blows his brains out. Disbelief.

I know people like you have been brainwashed and are experts at monday morning QBing every situation - especially the ones where the media is sensationalizing everything, but I look at everything before I make a call. JoePa was guilty of not believing/reporting a heinous situation. He never touched a kid. He paid for those crimes with his reputation - and he might even be paying for those sins in the hereafter. Who knows? I am at least intelligent enough to separate the rapist from the enabler.

So mongoloid this, exhume your own parents and butt fuck them, and piss off.
                                                                                    And that's a huge problem. Whether you're in disbelief or not, you still have to look into it further to find if it's true or not because children cannot advocate for themselves. Children have to be protected because they can't protect themselves.

You mentioned if such a thing happened in your dad's time that he wouldn't believe it. I hope that he would've at least investigated instead of just saying "Oh that can't be true" and possibly leaving a child to continue to be abused at the hands of an adult.

Maybe I'm hypersensitive to this because one of my children was sexually abused for a few years when they lived with my ex wife and her new family. She knew her bf's history. And so did the judge but he didn't consider that to be any kind of danger to worry about for my children. My child has tried to commit suicide and has had drug problems and has trouble with doing well in school. They are in therapy and on anti-depressants. I get to deal with all of this but the judge gets off scott free because at least he wasn't the one who sexually abused a child. I hold the judge just as responsible as if he were the actual perpetrator because he had the knowledge and ability to prevent this. And so did Joe Pa. But both of them chose not to and lives were shattered because of it.

Comment

#43

And that's a huge problem. Whether you're in disbelief or not, you still have to look into it further to find if it's true or not because children cannot advocate for themselves. Children have to be protected because they can't protect themselves.

You mentioned if such a thing happened in your dad's time that he wouldn't believe it. I hope that he would've at least investigated instead of just saying "Oh that can't be true" and possibly leaving a child to continue to be abused at the hands of an adult.

Maybe I'm hypersensitive to this because one of my children was sexually abused for a few years when they lived with my ex wife and her new family. She knew her bf's history. And so did the judge but he didn't consider that to be any kind of danger to worry about for my children. My child has tried to commit suicide and has had drug problems and has trouble with doing well in school. They are in therapy and on anti-depressants. I get to deal with all of this but the judge gets off scott free because at least he wasn't the one who sexually abused a child. I hold the judge just as responsible as if he were the actual perpetrator because he had the knowledge and ability to prevent this. And so did Joe Pa. But both of them chose not to and lives were shattered because of it.
                                                                                      Yes, you're hypersensitive to it. That's horrible for your kid. I don't blame you for being so hypersensitive to it. Another thing. I have 5 sons and a whole slew of grandkids. If I knew someone was abusing them or covering it up intentionally, that person would no longer be among the breathing.

I'm going to step out of this conversation now because some people can't see beyond their sphere. I'm guilty of doing that myself fairly often. I will leave it with reiterating that it was different times. Like it or not, that's a fact.

Comment

#44

Yes, you're hypersensitive to it. That's horrible for your kid. I don't blame you for being so hypersensitive to it. Another thing. I have 5 sons and a whole slew of grandkids. If I knew someone was abusing them or covering it up intentionally, that person would no longer be among the breathing.

I'm going to step out of this conversation now because some people can't see beyond their sphere. I'm guilty of doing that myself fairly often. I will leave it with reiterating that it was different times. Like it or not, that's a fact.
                                                                                        You wanna know what else is messed up about it? I only found this out after my kid came to live with me. My youngest still lives with my ex and her new family. My youngest doesn't wanna live there and doesn't feel safe. But DHS hasn't found enough reason to remove them from the home despite numerous calls from me, teachers, parents of my children's friends, and my oldest child. That's how the system works.

As the saying goes; all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

One is not absolved of responsibility just because they're not the person who perpetrated the evil act.

Comment

#45

You wanna know what else is messed up about it? I only found this out after my kid came to live with me. My youngest still lives with my ex and her new family. My youngest doesn't wanna live there and doesn't feel safe. But DHS hasn't found enough reason to remove them from the home despite numerous calls from me, teachers, parents of my children's friends, and my oldest child. That's how the system works.

As the saying goes; all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

One is not absolved of responsibility just because they're not the person who perpetrated the evil act.
                                                                                          You have my sympathy, and I truly hope everything works out for you and your family.

Try not to let Mr. Vile get to you. He is a soulless fuck without out a shred of empathy.

Comment

#46

You have my sympathy, and I truly hope everything works out for you and your family.

Try not to let Mr. Vile get to you. He is a soulless fuck without out a shred of empathy.
                                                                                            Thanks. I appreciate the sympathy.

For the victims, it doesn't end when the abuse stops. My child's personality has noticeably changed since it happened and I miss the child they once were.

Comment

#47

Seriously? Since it wasn’t on everyone’s phone it was ok? Since the church didn’t care then he didn’t need to care? I think you need some sleep, gramps. Too many white crosses. If it was 500 years ago I’d have reported it. Doing the right thing has no expiration date. Joe Pa made a decision to protect himself and the program. He’s just as guilty as anyone. Fuck him.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post

Seriously? Since it wasn’t on everyone’s phone it was ok? Since the church didn’t care then he didn’t need to care? I think you need some sleep, gramps. Too many white crosses. If it was 500 years ago I’d have reported it. Doing the right thing has no expiration date. Joe Pa made a decision to protect himself and the program. He’s just as guilty as anyone. Fuck him.
                                                                                                Meh. I expect nothing more or less from you. You suck at reading, and you really suck at posting. Almost as bad as your pos baseball team sucks against my Cards. Take another xanax and a couple Narcans and go to bed.

Comment

#49

Thanks. I appreciate the sympathy.

For the victims, it doesn't end when the abuse stops. My child's personality has noticeably changed since it happened and I miss the child they once were.
                                                                                                  Sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how horrible it's been.

Anyone in any way complicit in child abuse is a piece of shit. No exceptions.

As regards Paterno, there's PLENTY of evidence that he wasn't just a passive spectator. He absolutely enabled Sandusky.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Paterno was the Art Briles of his day (except worse). And nobody excuses Briles because he wasn't the one actually doing the raping.

I think if anything, some people are naive about the lengths people will go to in order to protect the kingdoms they've built. That's no different today than it was in the 70s.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1