First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ab5sr View Post

I'm in the minority too...and totally agree. Tired of the Dallas advantage.
    What Dallas advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLucky View Post

Where do the majority of our recruits come from? Good gawd man, get over it. Dallas is as much an OU town as it is a whorn town. And, given both schools get an even split on revenue and share the venue completely half and half, the idea that there is any advantage by texas is merely small-dick syndrome or complete ignorance of the actual details of the event. You've never been to the actual game, have you?
      I don't have much of an opinion on Dallas being neutral or not, but I do think there's something to be said in the benefits that DFW and the state of Texas has from having the tax revenue that our state completely misses out on. It's a drop in the bucket for a place like Dallas, but for OKC area to host an event like that every year would be major.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer Sooner View Post

I don't have much of an opinion on Dallas being neutral or not, but I do think there's something to be said in the benefits that DFW and the state of Texas has from having the tax revenue that our state completely misses out on. It's a drop in the bucket for a place like Dallas, but for OKC area to host an event like that every year would be major.
        I've never understood this complete misconception. You do understand that it wouldn't be THAT event here in Oklahoma, right? It would have all the same economic impact as any other OU football game. We'd give the 4,000 or so tickets to the away team just like we do for every other game. OU texas is what it is BECAUSE it's halfway between the schools and creates the event that makes 100,000 people go from each side even when they don't have tickets. Do you think every OU student is going to Austin every other year? That's not how it works.

Yes, Dallas gets the economic impact because of its geography and both teams get a commensurate and equal payout. So, our state doesn't miss out on any economic impact. It just doesn't. That's a completely fake, non-fungible excuse that the idiot EZ Million came up with.

Comment

I've never understood this complete misconception. You do understand that it wouldn't be THAT event here in Oklahoma, right? It would have all the same economic impact as any other OU football game. We'd give the 4,000 or so tickets to the away team just like we do for every other game. OU texas is what it is BECAUSE it's halfway between the schools and creates the event that makes 100,000 people go from each side even when they don't have tickets. Do you think every OU student is going to Austin every other year? That's not how it works.

Yes, Dallas gets the economic impact because of its geography and both teams get a commensurate and equal payout. So, our state doesn't miss out on any economic impact. It just doesn't. That's a completely fake, non-fungible excuse that the idiot EZ Million came up with.
          Outstanding post!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

You do realize there are just as many anti-longhorn fans in texas as there are horn fans, right? Texas is an important recruiting area for OU. Playing this game is a big deal for OU and moving the game weakens OU football.

There are now, what 3 games like this? OU/texas, Fla/Ga, Army/Navy. To move this game is to marginalize the rivalry and weaken the position and prestige of OU football. That’s a really stupid thing to do unless you hate OU football.
            Yeah, there might be an economic benefit with a home and home but that would piss away the huge impact this game has on the program and the school. Moving this to home and home makes this just another rivalry game

Comment

Where do the majority of our recruits come from? Good gawd man, get over it. Dallas is as much an OU town as it is a whorn town. And, given both schools get an even split on revenue and share the venue completely half and half, the idea that there is any advantage by texas is merely small-dick syndrome or complete ignorance of the actual details of the event. You've never been to the actual game, have you?
              Exactly. Let me put it this way... I live on a street between Preston and Bodecker, and and there are 6 OU flags, more than any other college.

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

You do realize there are just as many anti-longhorn fans in texas as there are horn fans, right? Texas is an important recruiting area for OU. Playing this game is a big deal for OU and moving the game weakens OU football.

There are now, what 3 games like this? OU/texas, Fla/Ga, Army/Navy. To move this game is to marginalize the rivalry and weaken the position and prestige of OU football. That’s a really stupid thing to do unless you hate OU football.
              Exactly.

Comment

Advantage? Lol. That's always the excuse that makes me laugh the most. Big 12/SWC refs don't need to be in Dallas to screw OU. They are just fine to do it in Norman or anywhere else for that matter. Otherwise there isn't anything else that is a disadvantage for OU.

BTW, texas fans that have this same stupid fucking idea think OU gets too much of a recruiting advantage from the game.

Again, just quit fucking with it, especially for stupid reasons.
                I think that the "advantage that Texas gets from the game has been real through the years....but it's much less so than it was in decades past.

Barry Switzer used to talk about how "last he checked...Dallas was still in Texas."

Leon Cross used to joke and say that the south end of the Cotton Bowl was "Little West Berlin" and that the players and fans of Oklahoma have a sense that they are the foreigners in Dallas.

Those two guys are pretty familiar with the game and the atmosphere surrounding the game from the perspective of the team.

Nowadays things are a lot different than say the 1960s and 1970s when the anti Okie spirit was pretty palpable in Dallas on those weekends. The players all know each other and have interacted with each other through recruiting or social media. Fans have done the same. As you say, Dallas (while still a majority Longhorn town) has lots of OU, OSU, Arkie, and fans from other schools.

But until the Dallas Morning News and the other Dallas media start calling it the OU-Texas game every other year instead of Texas -OU every year...I'll never say Dallas is a totally neutral site. And that ain't ever going to happen.

Comment

There’s a lot of OU presence in Dallas so I don’t agree with anyone saying Texas has any advantage. I will say the staff at the fair is definitely pro-Texas. I’ve been to 20+ of these and they’ll let you know it when we lose.

Comment

I hope entering the SEC doesn’t change the RRR or where those two wanna play it out. It’s always a great atmosphere and game for even the non BIG 12 fan. I’ve watched several times because of the rivalry and atmosphere. That’s what college football is about, IMO. Same as Michigan/tOSU. Washington/Oregon. Florida St/Miami.

However, the biggest game coming up
                    for OU, venue and Goal once entering the SEC will be in Atlanta, if can get there. IF.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer Sooner View Post

But it wouldn't be every year. It would be every 2 years.
                      Live Free or Die!

Comment

I listen to The Ticket a lot. They are a Dallas-based sports talk station.

They talk about OU a lot more than they talk about UT. It helps that a couple of the hosts are OU homers.
                        Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post
                          I hope entering the SEC doesn’t change the RRR or where those two wanna play it out. It’s always a great atmosphere and game for even the non BIG 12 fan. I’ve watched several times because of the rivalry and atmosphere. That’s what college football is about, IMO. Same as Michigan/tOSU. Washington/Oregon. Florida St/Miami.

However, the biggest game coming up
                          for OU, venue and Goal once entering the SEC will be in Atlanta, if can get there. IF.
                          Your treasured conference championship game hosted Missouri twice. In their first two years of conference play.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

What Dallas advantage?
                            How about the refs? We have to overcome them and the game...every year, go look it up.

Comment

How about the refs? We have to overcome them and the game...every year, go look it up.
                              So you don't want to play at Tech, OSU, etc, etc. I get it, all games in Norman.

Comment

We have the same issue in Norman, especially now that we are leaving the Big 12. So what is your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Mazeppa View Post

I don't understand the hatred for Jerry's stadium, I've been there a couple of times and it didn't seem that bad to me. Can some one explain to me what makes it so terrible to watch a game at, other than it belongs to Jerry.
                                  No Carnies and no lubricated Carnival food on a stick(?)

Comment

I’m not going to read all the replies but have to say it must stay at the Cotton Bowl simply because that’s where the fair is. Jerry Wolrd isn’t that great of a college venue but if you were to move the fair to surround Jerry World, I’d say move the game too. The game being INSIDE the state fair is a big deal to me.

Comment

No, just no.

The answer is the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. That’s always been the answer. That will always be the answer.

Comment

Does the game have an opportunity to be a night game when it's in the SEC? Or will the ghettoplex excuse still be used?

Comment

Originally posted by OUwasp View Post
                                          Does the game have an opportunity to be a night game when it's in the SEC? Or will the ghettoplex excuse still be used?
                                          Maybe if both are in top 5 there will be some pressure. Still doubt it tho.

Comment

It’s a dumb excuse too.

Comment

We could only hope... Epic perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by auto View Post

We could only hope... Epic perfection.
                                                Your boy would have a coronary.
                                                Live Free or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Your boy would have a coronary.

Right over the edge....

Comment

Originally posted by Sleestakk View Post
                                                    Once we're in the SEC, I'm thinking the game should be moved to the Sugar Bowl, or in ATL.
                                                    I hate you

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                    X
                                                    UA-124223861-1