Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players Tribune - Lincoln Riley "Sometimes Life Throws You a Curveball"

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #51
    Kinda interesting how this was published a few days before our spring game and baker’s statue unveiling. He really couldn’t have done it earlier or delayed it?

    Comment


      #52
      Originally posted by OUrage View Post
      I’d like to see an 88 mph curve ball hit him
      in his stupid face.
      .

      Comment


        #53
        Originally posted by sooneron View Post
        I have to wonder which of his publicists wrote that article. I can picture them on soonerstats.com looking for significant wins.
        Came here to say this. It reads like he jotted down some bullet-points on a napkin and a PR intern typed it up.

        In other words, it's just as phony and disingenuous as he is. Par for the course.

        Comment


          #54
          I'm just glad that everybody on here has come around to EightisGreat's way of thinkin'....

          He was telling us Riley was no good for years....

          Comment


            #55
            Life didn’t throw Lincoln a curveball, USC threw him a winning Jackpot ticket. Mega fucking lifetime money you can’t reject. I wasn’t happy that he left….but I’d be calling him a dumb motherfucker fif he had turned the money down. It would have been fucking stupid as hell to turn it down unless OU matched it…which wasn’t gonna happen.

            Fuck that sorry two faced greedy son of a bitch for doing exactly what I would have done.

            Comment


              #56
              Originally posted by Balko View Post
              He's not leaving for the NFL and giving up thsy Palos Verdes estate and the sinecure at USC.
              Excellent word.

              Comment


                #57
                Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                I'm just glad that everybody on here has come around to EightisGreat's way of thinkin'....

                He was telling us Riley was no good for years....
                He was definately a snake. He lost a lot of OU fans this year before he bailed though.

                Comment


                  #58
                  I don't even hate the guy, anymore. I just want to see Oklahoma look like a complete team again: great offense, great defense. We never achieved that under Lincoln Riley. He wasn't the man for the job, and I very much doubt he'll magically become that in Cali for the Trojans.

                  Comment


                    #59
                    "Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt" etc etc.

                    Comment


                      #60
                      Originally posted by Dr. X View Post
                      Came here to say this. It reads like he jotted down some bullet-points on a napkin and a PR intern typed it up.

                      In other words, it's just as phony and disingenuous as he is. Par for the course.
                      Not surprised. He wanted someone else to tell the team he was quitting.

                      Comment


                        #61
                        Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                        Life didn’t throw Lincoln a curveball, USC threw him a winning Jackpot ticket. Mega fucking lifetime money you can’t reject. I wasn’t happy that he left….but I’d be calling him a dumb motherfucker fif he had turned the money down. It would have been fucking stupid as hell to turn it down unless OU matched it…which wasn’t gonna happen.

                        Fuck that sorry two faced greedy son of a bitch for doing exactly what I would have done.
                        3M per year is "mega fucking lifetime money"?

                        Comment


                          #62
                          "My agent told me about USC....I was intrigued."

                          When did your agent tell you about USC? When did you become intrigued? When, Lincoln, when?

                          Comment


                            #63
                            Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

                            3M per year is "mega fucking lifetime money"?
                            Cali taxes will take a bite— Bhad Bhabie left Cali for Fla over the high taxes!!

                            Comment


                              #64
                              Lincoln felt like he had to write something. Especially if he has listened to any press conference of Brent. BV is hands down, doing so much more to motivate, develop, build up morale, outplan, and outprepare not only his team but the entire fanbase. Riley's pressers were of a pouter who was pretending to enjoy being in close games with Kansas, Tulane, and West Virginia. Was seeing all along that he could not develop and improve his 4 and 5 stars. He didn't have the balls to fire Mike until it was way overdue. Ruffin either.

                              Comment


                                #65

                                Comment


                                  #66
                                  Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

                                  3M per year is "mega fucking lifetime money"?
                                  Pretty sure he’s getting paid more than $3MM/yr.

                                  He got a $110MM contract….plus a number of perks.

                                  He signed a 6 year $45MM deal with OU to cover 2020-2025….$30.1MM for 4 years remained and OU wasn’t going to extende it to 10 more years.

                                  The balance of his OU contract was 27.4% of his new deal (excluding mega perks).

                                  So he got an extra $80MM for 6 years longer…plus a lot of perks. That’s mega lifetime money….for anyone not posting on DB.

                                  Comment


                                    #67
                                    Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                                    Life didn’t throw Lincoln a curveball, USC threw him a winning Jackpot ticket. Mega fucking lifetime money you can’t reject. I wasn’t happy that he left….but I’d be calling him a dumb motherfucker fif he had turned the money down. It would have been fucking stupid as hell to turn it down unless OU matched it…which wasn’t gonna happen.

                                    Fuck that sorry two faced greedy son of a bitch for doing exactly what I would have done.
                                    I gotta ask ... why? Dunno if you saw the movie Entrapment with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones, but she ropes him into a heist worth $8 billion and sets her own share of that at $7 billion, and he asks her "what can you do with seven billion that you can't do with four?" Same idea here. Dude was already pulling down seven and half mil per year base pay in Oklahoma; what friggin' essential life opportunities would he have missed out on without tacking another couple million a year on top of that, a big chunk of which California will eat? (That's not including the the whole bit about publicly revealing himself as an unethical, unreliable, two-faced bitch in the process.)

                                    Comment


                                      #68
                                      Originally posted by soonerquest View Post

                                      Cali taxes will take a bite— Bhad Bhabie left Cali for Fla over the high taxes!!
                                      Yes….he’s in the 12.3% CA state bracket instead of the OK 4.75% bracket. Ignoring perks and all of their income sources on an annual basis he only comes out $1.51MM/year better. I see this as a 10 year vs 4 remaining years decision not so much an annual amount decision.

                                      Breaking out his OU salary:

                                      $7.53 MM/yr puts him in the 4.75% bracket with a net effective tax rate of $4.61%….he would pay $347k taxes to Oklahoma. His federal AGI would be $7.185MM puts him in the 37% bracket and a net effective 36.1% federal rate….he would pay $2.59MM to the IRS. Final post tax = $4.59MM/year.

                                      For USC:
                                      $11.0 MM/yr puts him in the 13.3% bracket with a net effective tax rate of $12.92%…he would pay $1.42 taxes to Calaifornia. His federal AGI would be $9.58MM puts him in the 37% bracket and a net effective 36.3% federal rate….he would pay $3.48MM to the IRS. Final post tax = $6.10MM/year.

                                      On an annual basis, it’s not that huge. It’s the 10 years guaranteed vs 4 years left and AD is tired of extending you already.

                                      This ignores all other short term or ordinary incomes (dividends, etc)… which are not different on a federal level, but are taxed at different rates on a state level.….I.e, if his nest egg was earning $27MM/yr of ordinary income (short term gains, dividends, ordinary interest, etc.)….the incremental state tax on those earnings would neutralize the $1.5MM post tax raise he got. He’s likely nowhere near that….

                                      So his real raise was $1.5MM/year, perks galore, and 6 years guaranteed added onto his contracts…..it’s the 6 years part that drove the decision.

                                      Not saying it was a great decision…but I’d have been a greedy two face asshat and taken the USC job too.

                                      I’m over it because OU was not going to win a NC with Lincoln Riley anyways….we played that out. We were morphing into Tx Tech.
                                      Last edited by Me And My Butt; 04-21-2022, 01:19 PM. Reason: Typo

                                      Comment


                                        #69
                                        Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post
                                        Dude was already pulling down seven and half mil per year base pay in Oklahoma; what friggin' essential life opportunities would he have missed out on without tacking another couple million a year on top of that, a big chunk of which California will eat? (That's not including the the whole bit about publicly revealing himself as an unethical, unreliable, two-faced bitch in the process.)
                                        To be fair, he was on the verge of being outed as a fraud here. The writing was on the wall. He knew it. We knew it. Wasn't a matter of "if" but when.

                                        Jumping to USC bought him 2-3 more years, after which he'll leverage that failing up into another cushy situation with minimal accountability and challenge.

                                        He's a duplicitous sociopath, but he's playing a smart long game. Credit where it's due.

                                        Comment


                                          #70
                                          Originally posted by ouwxgrad_v2 View Post

                                          I gotta ask ... why? Dunno if you saw the movie Entrapment with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones, but she ropes him into a heist worth $8 billion and sets her own share of that at $7 billion, and he asks her "what can you do with seven billion that you can't do with four?" Same idea here. Dude was already pulling down seven and half mil per year base pay in Oklahoma; what friggin' essential life opportunities would he have missed out on without tacking another couple million a year on top of that, a big chunk of which California will eat? (That's not including the the whole bit about publicly revealing himself as an unethical, unreliable, two-faced bitch in the process.)
                                          Fair question.

                                          In the entire history of mankind there have been very few people who while they were young said, “I’m rich enough, I’ll stop here.” Even Warren Buffet is trying to get richer. Elon Musk…trying to get richer. Accumulation seems to be a deeply human instinct….

                                          Adding to that true wealth historically has only lasts a few generations. Three generations for most super wealthy. The money gets spent by the parents, diluted to the kid, diluted further by the grand kids, usually all gone by the grey grandkids. Smaller families should allow wealth to continue longer. Why do i say this? I’ve been considering retiring…I’m not even 55 yet. I have way more than enough money to live comfortably well beyond the lifestyle we currently live. I work because I ask myself when is enough actually enough money for my kids.

                                          Whether it be flat out greedy or a desire to provide from beyond the grave…accumulation is a human instinct. Most folks have it.


                                          I think of poor people in four groups. The first is people without the instinct to accumulate…they retire poor as fuck.

                                          People who constantly make shit decisions despite having good instinct…they end up poor too unless they get lucky.

                                          Lazy people usually end up poor unless they get hit by the luck wagon.

                                          And then there are the incapable people……most are incapable not by any fault of their own and they survive off of generosity. They’ll be poor.

                                          The desire to ensure my kids don’t end up in one of those groups…..is why enough is not yet enough for me.


                                          Lincoln Riley is still young and dumb…but in his shoes, I’d have taken the 10 year deal over the 4 year deal with limited certainty what holds beyond that. Particularly if you think people in the Big 12 have started figuring you out and the SEC defenses are even better. He might not get a good job after his 4 years left with OU.

                                          Comment


                                            #71
                                            Originally posted by Dr. X View Post
                                            To be fair, he was on the verge of being outed as a fraud here. The writing was on the wall. He knew it. We knew it. Wasn't a matter of "if" but when.

                                            Jumping to USC bought him 2-3 more years, after which he'll leverage that failing up into another cushy situation with minimal accountability and challenge.

                                            He's a duplicitous sociopath, but he's playing a smart long game. Credit where it's due.
                                            Bingo…the mystique was wearing off. People were figuring out how to deal with LR when he didn’t have a Heisman QB.

                                            Comment


                                              #72
                                              Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                                              Pretty sure he’s getting paid more than $3MM/yr.

                                              He got a $110MM contract….plus a number of perks.

                                              He signed a 6 year $45MM deal with OU to cover 2020-2025….$30.1MM for 4 years remained and OU wasn’t going to extende it to 10 more years.

                                              The balance of his OU contract was 27.4% of his new deal (excluding mega perks).

                                              So he got an extra $80MM for 6 years longer…plus a lot of perks. That’s mega lifetime money….for anyone not posting on DB.
                                              You make a lot of assumptions. He wasn't going to make zero dollars for 6 years to make your statement hold water. He left because he was scared of SEC, failure, underperforming, etc. In other words, couldn't stand the heat. The parachute that USC game him certainly made it easy for him to jump. Simple as that.

                                              Comment


                                                #73
                                                Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

                                                You make a lot of assumptions. He wasn't going to make zero dollars for 6 years to make your statement hold water. He left because he was scared of SEC, failure, underperforming, etc. In other words, couldn't stand the heat. The parachute that USC game him certainly made it easy for him to jump. Simple as that.
                                                I agree….not zero dollars. But a lot of good coaches been fired from the SEC for going .500…..only to latch onto a $500k coordinator roll somewhere for the next decade. He locked up another $80MM.

                                                I mentioned SEC fear in my next post…I agree. But that’s not the whole picture IMO.

                                                Comment


                                                  #74
                                                  Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

                                                  I agree….not zero dollars. But a lot of good coaches been fired from the SEC for going .500…..only to latch onto a $500k coordinator roll somewhere for the next decade. He locked up another $80MM.

                                                  I mentioned SEC fear in my next post…I agree. But that’s not the whole picture IMO.
                                                  It was the driving force. Absent that, he's not looking and entertaining offers. I know you mentioned it, glad he's gone.

                                                  Comment


                                                    #75
                                                    https://twitter.com/MacEngelProf/status/


                                                    USC’s Lincoln Riley left out one key thing in his love letter to the Oklahoma Sooners BY MAC ENGEL APRIL 20, 2022 4:39 PM

                                                    USC named Lincoln Riley its new football coach on Nov. 28, and nearly four full months later he tells Oklahoma, I will always love you, but not really. Riley could have done this four minutes or 40 years after he left Norman for Los Angeles and it would be received the same way. On April 20, The Player’s Tribune published Riley’s first-person letter explaining why he left Oklahoma for Los Angeles, titled, “Sometimes Life Throws You a Curveball.”

                                                    Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...#storylink=cpy

                                                    Comment


                                                      #76
                                                      Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                                                      https://twitter.com/MacEngelProf/status/


                                                      USC’s Lincoln Riley left out one key thing in his love letter to the Oklahoma Sooners BY MAC ENGEL APRIL 20, 2022 4:39 PM

                                                      USC named Lincoln Riley its new football coach on Nov. 28, and nearly four full months later he tells Oklahoma, I will always love you, but not really. Riley could have done this four minutes or 40 years after he left Norman for Los Angeles and it would be received the same way. On April 20, The Player’s Tribune published Riley’s first-person letter explaining why he left Oklahoma for Los Angeles, titled, “Sometimes Life Throws You a Curveball.”

                                                      Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...#storylink=cpy
                                                      USC’s Lincoln Riley left out one key thing in his love letter to the Oklahoma Sooners

                                                      USC named Lincoln Riley its new football coach on Nov. 28, and nearly four full months later he tells Oklahoma, I will always love you, but not really.

                                                      Riley could have done this four minutes or 40 years after he left Norman for Los Angeles and it would be received the same way.

                                                      On April 20, The Player’s Tribune published Riley’s first-person letter explaining why he left Oklahoma for Los Angeles, titled, “Sometimes Life Throws You a Curveball.”

                                                      It could have been just as easily titled, “Sometimes College Head Football Coaches Lie Through Their Gums.”

                                                      The first-person letter reads like a nice, first draft of a chapter from a Nicholas Sparks novel — before the love interest dies in a mud slide.

                                                      Riley appears to be sincere and genuine about select parts of his exit. Anyone reading the article should believe he is grateful to Oklahoma, its fans, boosters, and Bob Stoops. Oklahoma made Lincoln Riley, and he knows it.

                                                      Also, no one should believe his departure magically just happened in a five-minute span, as he suggests.

                                                      What he won’t say is the reason he was vulnerable leaving Oklahoma in the first place: The job that he was handed by Stoops in 2017 is no longer the job he occupied.

                                                      Once Oklahoma joined “hated” Texas to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, the Sooners’ became just another second-place candidate in the SEC.

                                                      Whereas in the Big 12 the Sooners own the entire league, in the SEC they will look like Florida. Or Tennessee. Or Texas A&M. Arkansas. Take your pick of a school not named Alabama.

                                                      Riley would have stayed in Norman forever, but he was receptive to leaving for a reason.

                                                      In the SEC, Oklahoma will lose.

                                                      In the Big 12, Oklahoma never lost.

                                                      And he didn’t have to say, “I was not looking.” That’s why you have an agent.

                                                      By all accounts, he had checked out well before the end of the 2021 season. The speculation that he would leave Norman to replace Ed Orgeron at LSU was not born from some anonymous account on an internet chat site.

                                                      By going to USC, and the Pac-12, Riley effectively goes to Oklahoma West.

                                                      An Oklahoma that is by Malibu beaches. And Hollywood.

                                                      An Oklahoma that should own recruiting in the entire state of California, and is the best candidate to go to the College Football Playoff every year from the the Pac-12.

                                                      His arrival in L.A. could be magic not just for USC, but for the state of college football in the western half of the United States, where the condition of the sport has never been worse.

                                                      Other than the money, and the beaches, his case for leaving Oklahoma is perfectly reasonable.

                                                      Even if Riley wrote every single Sooners’ fan a check for $10,000, which he can now afford to do, most people in Sooners’ nation would want to tear it up in his face.

                                                      What Riley did to them was the deepest form of rejection. Unless you are retiring, or going to the NFL, you don’t leave Oklahoma football.

                                                      What Riley did was to tell Oklahoma, You’re the best, and I don’t want you.

                                                      No amount of explaining in a Player’s Tribune article will ever change how he made every single University of Oklahoma fan feel when he exercised his right to leave.

                                                      Believe Lincoln Riley that is he forever grateful, and appreciative, for everything the University of Oklahoma gave him.

                                                      Just don’t believe why he left.

                                                      Comment


                                                        #77
                                                        Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                                                        Pretty sure he’s getting paid more than $3MM/yr.

                                                        He got a $110MM contract….plus a number of perks.

                                                        He signed a 6 year $45MM deal with OU to cover 2020-2025….$30.1MM for 4 years remained and OU wasn’t going to extende it to 10 more years.

                                                        The balance of his OU contract was 27.4% of his new deal (excluding mega perks).

                                                        So he got an extra $80MM for 6 years longer…plus a lot of perks. That’s mega lifetime money….for anyone not posting on DB.
                                                        Where's that "beating a dead horse" GIF when you need it...

                                                        Comment


                                                          #78
                                                          Originally posted by Dr. X View Post
                                                          USC’s Lincoln Riley left out one key thing in his love letter to the Oklahoma Sooners

                                                          USC named Lincoln Riley its new football coach on Nov. 28, and nearly four full months later he tells Oklahoma, I will always love you, but not really.

                                                          Riley could have done this four minutes or 40 years after he left Norman for Los Angeles and it would be received the same way.

                                                          On April 20, The Player’s Tribune published Riley’s first-person letter explaining why he left Oklahoma for Los Angeles, titled, “Sometimes Life Throws You a Curveball.”

                                                          It could have been just as easily titled, “Sometimes College Head Football Coaches Lie Through Their Gums.”

                                                          The first-person letter reads like a nice, first draft of a chapter from a Nicholas Sparks novel — before the love interest dies in a mud slide.

                                                          Riley appears to be sincere and genuine about select parts of his exit. Anyone reading the article should believe he is grateful to Oklahoma, its fans, boosters, and Bob Stoops. Oklahoma made Lincoln Riley, and he knows it.

                                                          Also, no one should believe his departure magically just happened in a five-minute span, as he suggests.

                                                          What he won’t say is the reason he was vulnerable leaving Oklahoma in the first place: The job that he was handed by Stoops in 2017 is no longer the job he occupied.

                                                          Once Oklahoma joined “hated” Texas to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, the Sooners’ became just another second-place candidate in the SEC.

                                                          Whereas in the Big 12 the Sooners own the entire league, in the SEC they will look like Florida. Or Tennessee. Or Texas A&M. Arkansas. Take your pick of a school not named Alabama.

                                                          Riley would have stayed in Norman forever, but he was receptive to leaving for a reason.

                                                          In the SEC, Oklahoma will lose.

                                                          In the Big 12, Oklahoma never lost.

                                                          And he didn’t have to say, “I was not looking.” That’s why you have an agent.

                                                          By all accounts, he had checked out well before the end of the 2021 season. The speculation that he would leave Norman to replace Ed Orgeron at LSU was not born from some anonymous account on an internet chat site.

                                                          By going to USC, and the Pac-12, Riley effectively goes to Oklahoma West.

                                                          An Oklahoma that is by Malibu beaches. And Hollywood.

                                                          An Oklahoma that should own recruiting in the entire state of California, and is the best candidate to go to the College Football Playoff every year from the the Pac-12.

                                                          His arrival in L.A. could be magic not just for USC, but for the state of college football in the western half of the United States, where the condition of the sport has never been worse.

                                                          Other than the money, and the beaches, his case for leaving Oklahoma is perfectly reasonable.

                                                          Even if Riley wrote every single Sooners’ fan a check for $10,000, which he can now afford to do, most people in Sooners’ nation would want to tear it up in his face.

                                                          What Riley did to them was the deepest form of rejection. Unless you are retiring, or going to the NFL, you don’t leave Oklahoma football.

                                                          What Riley did was to tell Oklahoma, You’re the best, and I don’t want you.

                                                          No amount of explaining in a Player’s Tribune article will ever change how he made every single University of Oklahoma fan feel when he exercised his right to leave.

                                                          Believe Lincoln Riley that is he forever grateful, and appreciative, for everything the University of Oklahoma gave him.

                                                          Just don’t believe why he left.
                                                          Looks like we got us another "Lincoln Riley left because OU is going to get run in the SEC" column.

                                                          Comment


                                                            #79
                                                            Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

                                                            Looks like we got us another "Lincoln Riley left because OU is going to get run in the SEC" column.
                                                            At least some of that is smearing his 'good name' tho.

                                                            Comment


                                                              #80
                                                              Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                                              I see I now have 4000 posts. My mother would be so proud.
                                                              You should walk up the basement stairs and thank her.

                                                              Comment


                                                                #81
                                                                Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

                                                                Looks like we got us another "Lincoln Riley left because OU is going to get run in the SEC" column.
                                                                I take it you disagree, like most here.

                                                                Been a lot of talking heads said the same since this announcement of OU and TU headed souf(I’ve posted one or five of these same articles myself folks give me hell about)…Guess they all wrong. Or just homers. That’s it. Fuckn homerism.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  #82
                                                                  Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

                                                                  Looks like we got us another "Lincoln Riley left because OU is going to get run in the SEC" column.
                                                                  So, probably will be plenty of folks that put the game ona dvr for the former coach, looks like Disney already trying to corner an indy ESPN deal in 2024..?



                                                                  https://twitter.com/LateKickJosh/sta...tyqNL3-aGmEPVw

                                                                  PAC has same issue long-term, XII had for Oklahoma/ Texas, other than Oregon there isn't enough attention = television $ to keep league together as is...
                                                                  In other words, the easy path USC sold to Riley may not be the same path he has by 2025 if USC bolts for indy, or some B1G raid will LR still look "wise"..?

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    #83
                                                                    Originally posted by sOUltrain View Post

                                                                    You should walk up the basement stairs and thank her.
                                                                    Is there really a stairway to heaven?

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      #84
                                                                      Originally posted by SEC View Post

                                                                      I take it you disagree, like most here.

                                                                      Been a lot of talking heads said the same since this announcement of OU and TU headed souf(I’ve posted one or five of these same articles myself folks give me hell about)…Guess they all wrong. Or just homers. That’s it. Fuckn homerism.
                                                                      'gasp' Talking heads might be wrong about something? Say it ain't so!

                                                                      Twerp. Go away.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        #85
                                                                        Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

                                                                        Fair question.

                                                                        In the entire history of mankind there have been very few people who while they were young said, “I’m rich enough, I’ll stop here.” Even Warren Buffet is trying to get richer. Elon Musk…trying to get richer. Accumulation seems to be a deeply human instinct….

                                                                        Adding to that true wealth historically has only lasts a few generations. Three generations for most super wealthy. The money gets spent by the parents, diluted to the kid, diluted further by the grand kids, usually all gone by the grey grandkids. Smaller families should allow wealth to continue longer. Why do i say this? I’ve been considering retiring…I’m not even 55 yet. I have way more than enough money to live comfortably well beyond the lifestyle we currently live. I work because I ask myself when is enough actually enough money for my kids.

                                                                        Whether it be flat out greedy or a desire to provide from beyond the grave…accumulation is a human instinct. Most folks have it.


                                                                        I think of poor people in four groups. The first is people without the instinct to accumulate…they retire poor as fuck.

                                                                        People who constantly make shit decisions despite having good instinct…they end up poor too unless they get lucky.

                                                                        Lazy people usually end up poor unless they get hit by the luck wagon.

                                                                        And then there are the incapable people……most are incapable not by any fault of their own and they survive off of generosity. They’ll be poor.

                                                                        The desire to ensure my kids don’t end up in one of those groups…..is why enough is not yet enough for me.


                                                                        Lincoln Riley is still young and dumb…but in his shoes, I’d have taken the 10 year deal over the 4 year deal with limited certainty what holds beyond that. Particularly if you think people in the Big 12 have started figuring you out and the SEC defenses are even better. He might not get a good job after his 4 years left with OU.
                                                                        At the end of those 4 years, he would have earned $60 million just in base pay and just during his time as head coach. Taking out Uncle Sam's cut and living expenses would leave, say $20 million in loose cash. He has two daughters, both of whom would still be several years away from having kids of their own. Even halfway-decent management of that 20 mil would provide for him, his kids, and his kids' kids just fine, even if he never worked another day in his life and leaving out the likelihood that his daughters' eventual spouses/significant others will themselves be the products of wealthy families.

                                                                        I agree that an instinctive drive to accumulate for accumulation's sake is really common. I don't know if it's as universal as you're suggesting, though; I know quite a few counterexamples, i.e., people who got enough to live comfortably, with a chunk set aside for contingencies, and then decided to make their lives about something else even though opportunities to add to the pile were on the table. That's not "stupid as hell" in my book. That's where I was disagreeing with you.

                                                                        Side note: I will also freely admit, as I have before, that my take on this is heavily influenced by the manner in which Riley left. There's a reason beyond OU fandom for this, though. I'll put it this way: if I believed that Riley was chasing a heftier paycheck so he could turn around and use a chunk of it for some laudable purpose (and no, making sure his descendents remain in the lap of luxury until the sun burns out doesn't count), then fine. Go Riley. However, considering the greasy, manipulative manner in which he left, and his cynical attempts to garner sympathy afterward ... yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that wasn't on the short list of reasons why he scarpered.

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          #86
                                                                          Originally posted by OU48A View Post
                                                                          Riley didn't receive some of the things that he wanted for the program, and he was left out of the decision process on moving OU to the SEC,
                                                                          This has been talked about and speculated on for since he left.

                                                                          Given this last season's poor play from the first game, there is a good chance Riley knew he wasn't going to return because he was pissed off over the above.
                                                                          I pretty well agree with you. There were times when I got frustrated and walked off the job. My doing that was a big impact on the company I was working for but it was nothing compared to what LR did. Do I blame him? No..not really. My belief is everyone is entitled to make their own decisions, good or bad. You can say his quick decision to leave was a big distraction for everyone involved with OU, including us fans, but looking back on it I'm believing it will turn out to be a blessing for OU. I really and I mean REALLY like our new staff and all of our new players. This is very exciting times and I'm just glad to still be here to see this. It's just so crazy tho seeing all these new changes. It's sort of like seeing a totally different team and not the one you're so used to seeing. This portal thing has completely changed football from the football we've always watched and loved. It's a big adjustment for sure but I like it.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            #87
                                                                            His daughters usually look uncomfortable in pics. Probably wondering why Daddy is only ever around them when there's a camera to smile for.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              #88
                                                                              What the heck is 'Players Tribune'? Is it a gay porn mag?

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                #89
                                                                                Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                                                                                Life didn’t throw Lincoln a curveball, USC threw him a winning Jackpot ticket. Mega fucking lifetime money you can’t reject. I wasn’t happy that he left….but I’d be calling him a dumb motherfucker fif he had turned the money down. It would have been fucking stupid as hell to turn it down unless OU matched it…which wasn’t gonna happen.

                                                                                Fuck that sorry two faced greedy son of a bitch for doing exactly what I would have done.
                                                                                accepting a "jackpot ticket" offer and manipulating your current employer, while simultaneously giving a half-assed effort/focus for the last few months you were there...AND lying about it all...are very different things. Literally no one I can recall blames him for taking a mega contract.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  #90
                                                                                  Originally posted by SEC View Post

                                                                                  I take it you disagree, like most here.

                                                                                  Been a lot of talking heads said the same since this announcement of OU and TU headed souf(I’ve posted one or five of these same articles myself folks give me hell about)…Guess they all wrong. Or just homers. That’s it. Fuckn homerism.
                                                                                  it's absolutely homersism....if the writer is honestly trying to compare the future of Oklahoma to that of the current state of Ark, Tenn, aTm and Florida.

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    #91
                                                                                    USC is in a bad conference. Let’s not pretend USC schedules football like Bill Snyder. To add, if you want to win a NC anywhere, you’re going to have to play some tough teams from CCG week all the way through the CFP.
                                                                                    So, I really don’t buy it that LR pussed out on the mighty SEC. I think the pressure got to him here.
                                                                                    If you have no loyalty to Oklahoma, there’s little or no reason to think twice about doubling your salary by going to sunny southern California.
                                                                                    There will eventually be pressure to win at USC. But think about it for a moment:
                                                                                    Oklahoma’s fanbase is MUCH more involved and ever present in Norman. USC couldn’t put 10K in the stadium for homecoming the last few years.
                                                                                    Which would you… an unbiased person rather choose— a program that’s had five years of you and is starting to grunt and grumble about your shortcomings or a new start where the people who matter have wiped your slate completely clean and think you’re the second coming of Christ? Oh, and not only do you get said clean slate, you get the California lifestyle, the Hollywood treatment and the media back in your corner. Gone are your days where people question how tough you are and your disciplinary tactics and you’re back to being the “Maestro from Muleshoe.”

                                                                                    My problem is with USC, with LR, his representation and all the coaches who shagged ass out of town after mailing in the 2021 regular season. You can’t convince me that they didn’t know this was going down before the Tulane game. The guy seemed disinterested all year long, full of excuses for shitty performances and seemed to be absent all the time. What HC gives a player a week off of practice just for losing a starting position? A guy who would rather hear the player shut the fuck up so that he doesn’t have to listen to the player’s family while he’s house hunting in LA. They knew Helton wasn’t going to be their HC. They mailed in their 2021 season to prepare for LR’s future at USC the same way… LR mailed in his season to prepare for his future at USC.

                                                                                    I very seriously wonder why they didn’t just let Helton go at the end of 2020. They could have very easily used some sort of COVID excuse to weasel their way out of paying him whatever they tried to avoid by letting him serve less than 25% on the 2021 season.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      #92
                                                                                      It sure wouldn't hurt his USC recruiting to be pictured standing next to a previous Heisman winner. Ten bucks says he wrote this because he's gonna be in Norman for Baker's statue and doesn't want to get booed out of the stadium.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        #93
                                                                                        Originally posted by gratefulRed View Post

                                                                                        accepting a "jackpot ticket" offer and manipulating your current employer, while simultaneously giving a half-assed effort/focus for the last few months you were there...AND lying about it all...are very different things. Literally no one I can recall blames him for taking a mega contract.
                                                                                        Half the people in this thread are faulting him for it.

                                                                                        personally, I’m happy we’re in a new chapter…

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          #94
                                                                                          Originally posted by Section31 View Post

                                                                                          Where's that "beating a dead horse" GIF when you need it...

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            #95
                                                                                            Originally posted by Thulsa Doom View Post
                                                                                            It sure wouldn't hurt his USC recruiting to be pictured standing next to a previous Heisman winner. Ten bucks says he wrote this because he's gonna be in Norman for Baker's statue and doesn't want to get booed out of the stadium.
                                                                                            I'll eat my shoe if Lincoln is in Norman tomorrow.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              #96
                                                                                              Originally posted by Garbage Poster View Post

                                                                                              I'll eat my shoe if Lincoln is in Norman tomorrow.
                                                                                              I have a feeling Lincoln will be force fed his own shoe if he’s in Norman tomorrow.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                #97
                                                                                                Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post
                                                                                                Half the people in this thread are faulting him for it.

                                                                                                personally, I’m happy we’re in a new chapter…
                                                                                                No one's faulting him for taking more money...we're questioning if - when all things considered - it's really THE jackpot some of you guys are claiming. That's all really...but continue with beating the dead horse...

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  #98
                                                                                                  More nonsense about Stincoln Piley trying to rehab his reputation. I'm sure he spent minutes proofreading that POS his PR team wrote up for him.

                                                                                                  Glad he is gone and I'm one of the people that didn't like the direction the team was headed for a couple years. Total lack of discipline, soft as Charmin' and it showed on the field. Good riddance.

                                                                                                  Good for him on getting a big contract. I hope he and his kettle ball swinging S&C coach instill the same structure and discipline in LA because it will be fun to watch.

                                                                                                  There will be more PR bullshit to try and repair his rep. He will leverage any opportunity to use his prior OU connection to his benefit. Keep that PR machine cooking.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    #99
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Section31 View Post

                                                                                                    No one's faulting him for taking more money...we're questioning if - when all things considered - it's really THE jackpot some of you guys are claiming. That's all really...but continue with beating the dead horse...
                                                                                                    Half of the people here are talking SEC fear….half the people are just talking money. Maybe not exactly half…but not really the point.

                                                                                                    Regarding dead horses….I’m not the one that keeps bumping the thread. Lol

                                                                                                    I forget about the thread for a week here or there and BOOM!!! Here it is again. So…welcome to the internet.

                                                                                                    Never fear, I’ll get your permission before I post on this thread again….lmao

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

                                                                                                      Half of the people here are talking SEC fear….half the people are just talking money. Maybe not exactly half…but not really the point.

                                                                                                      Regarding dead horses….I’m not the one that keeps bumping the thread. Lol

                                                                                                      I forget about the thread for a week here or there and BOOM!!! Here it is again. So…welcome to the internet.

                                                                                                      Never fear, I’ll get your permission before I post on this thread again….lmao
                                                                                                      This is a brand new thread isn't it? BTW, I'm the same as you...who cares about that bastige...

                                                                                                      Comment

                                                                                                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Go To Top

                                                                                                      Collapse

                                                                                                      Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1