First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbnuts (Paul Finebaum) is at it again

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...les-186763233/ Thank you Paul.

Paul Finebaum is holding back from rave reviews associated with Oklahoma's hire of Brent Venables entering his first season with the Sooners. Monday on Finebaum's show, he tempered expectations a bit if the baseline is annual top finishes in the thick of the College Football Playoff picture.

"Remember, we went through that for a long time — there's always the next," Finebaum said. "There was the next (Bear) Bryant and then there was the next (Nick) Saban, and now Venables is the new guy. He has never won a game as a head coach, but he's the closest thing to Nick Saban we've ever seen. ... Does anyone agree with that out there?"

A former Broyles Award winner at Clemson as one of the nation's top coordinators and recruiters, Venables inherits a blue-blood program accustomed to winning that didn't miss a beat under Lincoln Riley's five-year stint following the departure of program legend Bob Stoops.

His team is ranked inside the top 15 of most way-too-early polls and returns a talent group on both sides of the football, despite transfer portal casualties.

And now, Venables is tasked with maintaining that level of success at the winningest program in Big 12 history.

"Brent Venables — who has been for many, many years the defensive coordinator at Clemson, he was at Oklahoma prior to that — until a year or two ago, I never really heard this guy's name mentioned for a head-coaching position," Finebaum said. "He looked like a lifer. He looked like one of these defensive coordinators, and there are many in history — Bud Foster at Virginia Tech, who spent most of his career with (Frank) Beamer. You've had other DCs — Bill Oliver, for example, who was Bear Bryant's and many other coaches' defensive coordinators.

"But I don't know Brent Venables that well, and I'm not about to say he will be a bust at Oklahoma, but I just get a little bit weary of, 'Oh, he's the next (Saban). He's the closest.' I already thought Billy Napier was the next Saban after what we heard the other day, all the people that say he does everything just like Saban. Who else has done everything else just like Saban?"

Reaction to Venables' hire at Oklahoma was extremely positive and he was able to stick a band-aid on several personnel departures by reaching into the transfer portal early on to fill holes. However, Finebaum has his reservations about Oklahoma's success, at least during the 2022 season and Venables' ranking among college football's other elite coaches.

"I think there's every reason to think he can be successful, although most of his best players went off to Southern Cal," Finebaum said. "... I don't know how you could look at him in the same breath as Kirby Smart right now."
    Last edited by ChpThril; 04-26-2022, 04:07 PM. Reason: Added article

That guy loses all credibility when he takes every opportunity to talk about Saban. How does talking about Venables need to involve him.

Comment

I can assure you, Brent Venables is focused on OU football, and he doesn't give a shit about the positive or negative thought of outsiders.

Comment

I don't know about OKC, but the Sports Animal in Tulsa started playing Finebaum in the evenings when there's no baseball or basketball to air. I listen to it when driving and caught this last night and had a good laugh.

I missed a few bits and pieces, but Finebaum was apparently reacting to an article or report written that in some way compared BV to Saban. I don't know what article it was since it's not even referenced in the 247 link for some reason, but Finebaum took off and ran with it on his SEC wagon like he always does by scoffing at any attempt to hold BV in the "same breath as Saban". He even recalls BV getting fired from OU......

Yes, he gets called out and corrected for that little nugget of ignorance.

But yeah, we get it, Saban is a GOAT and BV has never head coached a single game. We're aware BV still has a lot to prove and is capable of being a bust, but we like what we see so far. Finebaum never misses a chance to jump on the throne of embellishment for any narrative that's not pro-SEC, and that's what he gave. He goes on about how other coaches are often compared to being better than Saban (something he's suggesting the article says), but of course they're really not.

So an OU fan caller gets on to ensure that the OU fan base hasn't actually appointed BV the next Saban and has not built any statues for him or anything like that, but Finebaum is quick to jump off that throne and politely point out that the article was supposedly just a count of a personal experience after working with both BV and Saban....like what the hell are you ranting on about then, Finebaum???

He turned this into a jab on Bob Stoops and suggested the main reason he's coaching minor league football teams is because he couldn't cut handling decisions in the college game....

I hear about half an hour of that show each week, and it's entertaining for the most part (outside of his constant case of sniffing due to allergies), but there really is a weird culture built around that show, including the callers and the intro song. Like really...really weird.

Comment

Sooner fans mob any website who says anything that isn't over the top complimentary, then wonder why the national guys keep dumping on us

Comment

I think it was Thad Turnipseed who said BV was the closest he’s seen to Saban. I wonder if that’s the “article” he was referring to.

Comment

You guys realize he says this shit to get people talking. If he upsets osu fan base, nobody outside Oklahoma notices. If he upsets OU fan base, everyone notices and he gets millions of interactions. That’s what he wants. Ratings. Social media interactions. That’s the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by blacktop View Post
                I read what he said, in context, and from a national perspective, I can't blame him for thinking that way, it's realistic thinking. He HASN'T been a head coach, and though many may feel his upside potential is huge, the bottom line is he has yet to prove it. Personally I think he will, and I feel MUCH better going into the SEC with a few years of Venables under the belt in preparation.

Comment

HBCBV doesn't have to prove anything to anyone other OU players, fans, etc. Finnebum is SoCali's daddy, now you understand the rhetoric. They don't talk much ever since SoCali got pulled out of the closet, but they do exchange pleasantries during the Holidays and Dad does send his boy a card during Gay Pride Month, so there's that. The proof of HBCBV's career will be on the field, and I don't know about the rest of you folks but I'm ready for some fire-breathing, head busting, QB-sacking, 3rd and 35 defense.

Comment

You have insulted all numbnuts

Comment

I’m trying to figure out what exactly he said that was so offensive. Everything he said was true and where it crossed the line of opinion he stated as such

I like PF, dude is entertaining and a bit unpredictable. I’m surprised espn hasn’t fired him for being too entertaining.

Desmond, Kirk. Fowler…yeah, big time personalities there!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerNole View Post
                        I’m trying to figure out what exactly he said that was so offensive. Everything he said was true and where it crossed the line of opinion he stated as such

I like PF, dude is entertaining and a bit unpredictable. I’m surprised espn hasn’t fired him for being too entertaining.

Desmond, Kirk. Fowler…yeah, big time personalities there!!!!
                        I agree with pretty much everything he said on air except his eagerness to pump up this story as a narrative that we only apparently had. All of his comparisons are accurate though.

Comment

This seems legit.

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
                            This seems legit.

Yeah…. Thanks for reporting the spammer! Oh nvm…

Comment

Finebaum isn't wrong, but there's a good reason most are optimistic in Norman. I think what a lot of people don't get is how Sooner fans are more dialed into the state of their program than most. You get this a lot at blue blood schools, but I think in Oklahoma it is uniquely so. Small state with a small school mentality even though OU is pretty big. There are a lot of people "in the know" although a lot more who pretend to be. And what we are seeing and hearing from former players is undeniable. I mean, he's doing just about everything right. How that translates to the field and to recruiting we will see soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Poster View Post
                                I think it was Thad Turnipseed who said BV was the closest he’s seen to Saban. I wonder if that’s the “article” he was referring to.
                                Yes it was Turnipseed and he said it on the podcast with Teddy and Ikard, I am pretty sure. But, there are 2 very important things to take from this:

1. Turnipseed worked for Saban and in a lot of ways is credited with being an instrumental cog in building that dynasty.

2. This proves that Finebaum is paying VERY CLOSE attention to even the finer details of OU football, despite his continued dismissal of OU, generally speaking. His actions expose his fear.

Comment

Whoever said Venables is the new Saban?

Comment

Paul likes to stir the pot and agitate fan bases. Get used to it--you'll be hearing from him a lot, especially as you guys transition to the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDSooner View Post

I read what he said, in context, and from a national perspective, I can't blame him for thinking that way, it's realistic thinking. He HASN'T been a head coach, and though many may feel his upside potential is huge, the bottom line is he has yet to prove it. Personally I think he will, and I feel MUCH better going into the SEC with a few years of Venables under the belt in preparation.
                                      Perfectly stated. I'm wait and see as well - but I'm also not worried. There are a lot of changes to absorb to expect an elite team to emerge in '22, but so many things BV has put in place make me feel really good about the long term. And long term isn't that long - I'm talking '23 and beyond and even '22 could hold some nice surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBeachBum68 View Post
                                        Paul likes to stir the pot and agitate fan bases. Get used to it--you'll be hearing from him a lot, especially as you guys transition to the SEC.
                                        Exactly.

Funny he’s already getting the natives fired up. He’s a master at it. And that’s talking from NOT that big of a fan. But he’s good at what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasooner View Post
                                          Whoever said Venables is the new Saban?
                                          thad turnipseed. He implied it at the very least…

Comment

I like Finebaum as a performer. He's brilliant at what he does, which is (1) never being at a loss for words and (2) strongly expressing opinons with just enough caveat and backed by just enough knowledge to (3) get people to listen to him, watch him, and click on him (as it were).

Comment

Originally posted by Balko View Post
                                              I like Finebaum as a performer. He's brilliant at what he does, which is (1) never being at a loss for words and (2) strongly expressing opinons with just enough caveat and backed by just enough knowledge to (3) get people to listen to him, watch him, and click on him (as it were).
                                              There’s no denying his impact on college football.

If you doubt it, yer not aware.

Comment

Originally posted by SEC View Post

Exactly.

Funny he’s already getting the natives fired up. He’s a master at it. And that’s talking from NOT that big of a fan. But he’s good at what he does.
                                                Finny can eat a big pile of..

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post

Finny can eat a big pile of..
                                                  Well, guess I’d be the same way from yer standpoint.

However, I respect FineB.

Comment

Heard Paul say on his snow 2 years ago that Riley cannot win a national championship with his style of coaching . But I think he cannot say that about Venables . He has seen Alabama beaten by Clemson’s defense led by venables in 2 national title games . Brent is building a national championship contender in OU

Comment

Originally posted by Basel90 View Post
                                                      Heard Paul say on his snow 2 years ago that Riley cannot win a national championship with his style of coaching . But I think he cannot say that about Venables . He has seen Alabama beaten by Clemson’s defense led by venables in 2 national title games . Brent is building a national championship contender in OU
                                                      You’re not wrong. And he was correct. Admittedly, again.

Comment

You’re not wrong. And he was correct. Admittedly, again.
                                                        Do you feel venables has the respect of SEC coaches who played against his defenses ?

Comment

Do you feel venables has the respect of SEC coaches who played against his defenses ?
                                                          Absolutely. More than Riley, IMO. He has a more connection with the south football and what it ultimately takes to win against a GA, or a FL, or a Bama.

Riley had no clue..dink, dunk, trick, finess, …won’t come close. The words are speed, execution and power. When and IF veneblaes can put all those things together, run through a division of the SEC and then win the SECCG…he will be in a great position to win through the playoffs and NCG.
                                                          Last edited by SEC; 04-27-2022, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Finebaum says he's never heard Brent's name mentioned for head coaching jobs. If it happens outside the SEC then he doesn't know about it. I bet Paul had to go on Wikipedia to find out who this Brandt Venerable is.

Comment

I don't have a problem with what he said. Let's face it, as good of a DC and recruiter BV has been at Clemson...he's yet to coach a real game as a HC. He's yet to run an entire program. That said, he has what APPEAR to be the right tools to be a very successful HC. He obviously is a great leader/recruiter (look at the quality and speed in which he built his staff). He certainly has a great track record of success and that of development...so I expect he'll be just fine. I thought the line about "all of the best players transferred to USC" was a bit of a stretch...but Caleb WAS the nationally known player at OU....so in his mind (and most outsiders) he thinks it's true. I feel like Farooq will end up with the more productive career than Mario W. (although I thought he has great potential) and no one is missing McCutchin. Would've been great to keep Caleb, but if we can get through this season with Dillon...I don't expect we'll miss CW that much.

Comment

Originally posted by traxx View Post
                                                                Finebaum says he's never heard Brent's name mentioned for head coaching jobs. If it happens outside the SEC then he doesn't know about it. I bet Paul had to go on Wikipedia to find out who this Brandt Venerable is.
                                                                Venables was first in line for the Auburn job going in 2020.

Comment

What did he say that was inaccurate?

Comment

Absolutely. More than Riley, IMO. He has a more connection with the south football and what it ultimately takes to win against a GA, or a FL, or a Bama.

Riley had no clue..dink, dunk, trick, finess, …won’t come close. The words are speed, execution and power. When and IF veneblaes can put all those things together, run through a division of the SEC and then win the SECCG…he will be in a great position to win through the playoffs and NCG.
                                                                    That's not an accurate summary of a Riley offense. The Baker and Murray led teams were not dink and dunk as they often pushed the field vertically. Those teams also ran with power. But the defenses were bad and when he got his chance for the big hire to replace MStoops, Grinch didn't turn out to be the boy genius we all hoped. Last year was just a total shit show for reasons I need not repeat as there are a gazillion threads about it, but it was more the exception than the rule. I'm not saying LR could have competed well in the SEC - I don't think that. Just pushing back on the description of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post
                                                                      he's quoted above as saying, "most of [Venables'] best players went off to Southern Cal."

really? "most of the best," huh?

Comment

Originally posted by blackfrancois View Post

he's quoted above as saying, "most of [Venables'] best players went off to Southern Cal."

really? "most of the best," huh?
                                                                        Yeah. Most of the most highly recruited ones did..

Comment

You are easily in my top three “want to bury my fist in their face” posters. You and SEC are probably the same dumbass. Socali rivals your BS. Hell he’s probably you. Trinity Bitch is how I will view all your future post.
                                                                          Last edited by OUrage; 04-27-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Please show your work.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                                              You are easily in my three “want to bury my fist in their face” poster. You and SEC are probably the same dumbass. Socali rivals your BS. Hell he’s probably you. Trinity Bitch is how I will view all you future post.
                                                                              Nice way to avoid answering the question.

Comment

#40

Two. Two highly rated recruits that could have been considered Venables players went with him. Two.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

That's not an accurate summary of a Riley offense. The Baker and Murray led teams were not dink and dunk as they often pushed the field vertically. Those teams also ran with power. But the defenses were bad and when he got his chance for the big hire to replace MStoops, Grinch didn't turn out to be the boy genius we all hoped. Last year was just a total shit show for reasons I need not repeat as there are a gazillion threads about it, but it was more the exception than the rule. I'm not saying LR could have competed well in the SEC - I don't think that. Just pushing back on the description of his offense.
                                                                                  Saban showed all other teams during the Orange bowl how to defeat Riley. Keep everything in front of you and punish the player, excuse me, the soft ass player Riley creates.
                                                                                  It had become more apparent every game, Riley’s TT molded teams can’t compete with the big boys. What’s TT’s record against OU? I have to believe Stoops knew his predecessor had to be a chump, almost all predecessors to legends are. I’m glad things turned out as they did.
                                                                                  Last edited by OUrage; 04-27-2022, 01:17 PM.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by OUrage View Post

Saban showed all other teams during the Orange bowl how to defeat Riley. Keep everything in front of you and punish the player, excuse me, the soft ass player Riley creates.
                                                                                    It had become more apparent every game, Riley’s TT molded teams can’t compete with the big boys. What’s TT’s record against OU? I have to believe Stoops knew his predecessor had to be a chump, almost all predecessors to legends are. I’m glad things turned out as they did.
                                                                                    In no way is 55-10 a chump, I don't care what conference you're talking about. LR just reached his ceiling and national level champion was above that ceiling. If he had cleaned house a little upon taking the HC position (and that especially means MStoops), OU could well have the '17 season trophy safely in the display case. Easy to say in retrospect as I think his hands were tied by Joe (with Bob's influence) with regards to Mike. Had that '17 team managed to win it all, and they were good enough to do it, 1 title in a five year stint would have held up to history regardless of how it ended.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      You’ll have to kiss his ring once you get to the SEC

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Pokej View Post
                                                                                        You’ll have to kiss his ring once you get to the SEC
                                                                                        You say that like it's a bad thing. (Hey, I think I'm halfway to SEC! brain death. Woo-hoo!)

Comment

#45

Yes--but I also think the alleged sign-stealing that was uncovered took some lustre off that respect and admiration.

Brent is not going to MAKE OU into a NC contender. Your program has already achieved that. Your program has been a perennial contender. The real question is can he get you over the hump and actually WIN the program's first NC in a generation. What I'm curious to see is how long will your fan base give him to do that.

Comment

#46

Nice way to avoid answering the question.
                                                                                            What question? I don’t read your backhanded anti-OU BS. I just spoke my mind. You’re a ……..dweeb.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              OU fans will be lined up to see the Bald One when he comes to town w/SEC Nation game day set up when its in Norman.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by OrangeBeachBum68 View Post
                                                                                                OU fans will be lined up to see the Bald One when he comes to town w/SEC Nation game day set up when its in Norman.
                                                                                                With eggs and rotten tomatoes in hand?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post

Two. Two highly rated recruits that could have been considered Venables players went with him. Two.
                                                                                                  But you've just cited facts. Bamaboy is impervious.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    That you are an Oklahoma fan.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1