First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big 12 changes coming sooner??

Okay, heard a story this morning that all the "new" schools joining th Big 12 are now apparently going to join next year (2023).

Bowlsby announced his departure from the Big 12 a few weeks back...

OU announces new NIL program....

Taking a these things together, can't help but wonder if some agreement has been brokered to let OU and UT out after 2022 season...maybe an agreement Bowlsby didn't like, but other Big 12 AD's did, and opted to press on, and Bowlsby said never mind...

Should’ve been done many years ago. For now, we won’t know until we know, basically. The Purgatory 8 gets paid either way. They just get a nice bonus of not having to play OU if OU leaves early. When one thinks about what that could mean for some of these programs through the years whose “dream season” hinged on beating OU, they now get another G5-worthy team in OU’s place. If Cincinnati can crack into the CFP, you know the rest of the BIG 12 is thinking it can happen.

Comment

Given the stink that was raised when the news got out earlier than anyone wanted, I don’t expect to hear much of anything until a joint press release from OU, UT, and the SEC.

Comment

The "new Big Xii" needs OU and Texas out prior to the new schools joining. Can't risk having OU or Texas winning the conference on their way out basically proving the point that the remaining 12 aren't as good nor ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
          Given the stink that was raised when the news got out earlier than anyone wanted, I don’t expect to hear much of anything until a joint press release from OU, UT, and the SEC.
          Either that or tickets go on sale.

Comment

OU is going to have move some folks around in the stadium to meet the SEC seating requirements. I noticed that Texas has implemented those changes this year by moving their student section. OU moved the band to the 20 yard line from the 40 yard line last season, as the SEC does not allow the band behind the visiting team's bench. The OU student section is going to have to be shifted as well, and OU is going to have to find adjoining sections in the lower level for 2000 visiting fans to sit in as well as 5,000 visiting fans in the upper decks (I assume we will put the other 5000 in the upper decks). All of this is going to require moving around season ticket holders, so that may be another clue to watch for as far as being able to tell when the move is going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post
              OU is going to have move some folks around in the stadium to meet the SEC seating requirements. I noticed that Texas has implemented those changes this year by moving their student section. OU moved the band to the 20 yard line from the 40 yard line last season, as the SEC does not allow the band behind the visiting team's bench. The OU student section is going to have to be shifted as well, and OU is going to have to find adjoining sections in the lower level for 2000 visiting fans to sit in as well as 5,000 visiting fans in the upper decks (I assume we will put the other 5000 in the upper decks). All of this is going to require moving around season ticket holders, so that may be another clue to watch for as far as being able to tell when the move is going to happen.
              Well big whoopty doo. We don't care what the SEC doesn't allow. We do things the OU way around here. If there is changing to be done than the SEC will be the ones that need to change.

Can I get an Amen?

Comment

Originally posted by OU Minister Of Culture View Post

Well big whoopty doo. We don't care what the SEC doesn't allow. We do things the OU way around here. If there is changing to be done than the SEC will be the ones that need to change.

Can I get an Amen?
                Yeah. Doesn't work that way. All of these things are contractually a part of being in the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerDave View Post
                  Okay, heard a story this morning that all the "new" schools joining th Big 12 are now apparently going to join next year (2023).

Bowlsby announced his departure from the Big 12 a few weeks back...

OU announces new NIL program....

Taking a these things together, can't help but wonder if some agreement has been brokered to let OU and UT out after 2022 season...maybe an agreement Bowlsby didn't like, but other Big 12 AD's did, and opted to press on, and Bowlsby said never mind...

I think Bowlsby was the stumbling block to a negotiated early exit. The OU/UT exit is personal to him. He also rubbed ESPN the wrong way with his actions after the OU/UT announcement. The B12 is allowing him to leave on his own terms.

The new commissioner will have two tasks: negotiate the exit of OU/UT and the entrance of UH/BYU/UCF/UC; and negotiate the new B12 TV deal. Bowlsby's bridges have been burned with both OU/UT and ESPN.

I expect the upcoming season to be OU's farewell tour in the Big 12. Hopefully, we'll go out on top.

Comment

Yeah. Doesn't work that way. All of these things are contractually a part of being in the SEC.
                    I suspect he was fucking with you, Ted. Good gawd man, it would go a long way if you had even the slightest hint of a sense of humor. Even your shameless and pathetic slobbering of Saban and all things SEC could be tolerable if you had any semblance of a sense of humor. Hell, we even tolerate a few dirty pokey state aggies here because they can actually handle jokes and roll with it. Take a cue, dude, although I suspect this is a larger problem you face far beyond this message board.

Comment

It's true. We all have also agreed to meet fan quota of SEC chants during our OOC games.

Comment

Doesn’t the SEC also say you can’t throw mustard on the field? And yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

Doesn’t the SEC also say you can’t throw mustard on the field? And yet.
                          I thought that only applied to hotdogs when Heupel was here?

Comment

Originally posted by OU Minister Of Culture View Post

Can I get an Amen?
                            We'll change it and we'll like it.

Comment

Everyone really shouldn't drag it out beyond this year anyway. That'd be two full seasons in a conference that everyone knows we're leaving. That's long enough.

Shift around the money, win the last title on our way out the door, and get down the road.

Comment

So… “This is Cowpoke Country” should be posted by this stat:

The players drafted by conferences (#NFLDraft ) (through 24)

SEC- 10
                                Big 10- 4
                                Pac 12- 3
                                ACC- 3
                                AAC- 2
                                Indy- 1
                                FCS- 1

While Oklahoma & Texas plan to exit stage left SEC 2023 & ‘24..?

Comment

I want to get the fuck outta here ASAP. I hope we can negotiate an exit before the new schools arrive. We are going to the SEC. I want that to start by 2023. It’s best for everyone.

Comment

Probably not popular here but me personally would rather stay in the new B12 than jumping to the SEC. The biggest obstacle in my opinion was Bowlsby. I know OU and tsux wanted to keep it down to 10 but that was due to the money coming in to the conference and it didn't look like it would be getting any better soon. But now.. there is talk about expanding even more. That can be good as long as they can bring more viewers and money into the conference. I do understand the greed of everyone and financially it is benefiting OU and tsux to leave for the SEC but once again my preference would be for them (not tsux) to stay in the B12 and Landry agrees.

Comment

Is Bowlsby gone yet?

Comment

Originally posted by echo101 View Post
                                        That can be good as long as they can bring more viewers and money into the conference.
                                        There is nobody on the table who can.

Comment

Probably not popular here but me personally would rather stay in the new B12 than jumping to the SEC. The biggest obstacle in my opinion was Bowlsby. I know OU and tsux wanted to keep it down to 10 but that was due to the money coming in to the conference and it didn't look like it would be getting any better soon. But now.. there is talk about expanding even more. That can be good as long as they can bring more viewers and money into the conference. I do understand the greed of everyone and financially it is benefiting OU and tsux to leave for the SEC but once again my preference would be for them (not tsux) to stay in the B12 and Landry agrees.
                                          Therein lies the problem. OU would have stayed in the Big 12 if the money would have been competitive but when the media partners responded to the conference that they weren't interested in any renegotiation of the contract and that they didn't see the conference revenue going up much for the next contract, it was what made the decision for OU. OU took less money and did their best with the Tier 3 situation to stay as competitive financially as long as they could. We just hit the tipping point.

Comment

---

Tramel's ScissorTales: Big 12's performance in NFL Draft helps show why OU & Texas are headed to the SEC

Berry Tramel
                                            Oklahoman

The NFL Draft’s first round was conducted Thursday night. No Big 12 players were selected.

No Sooners or Cowboys. No Longhors or Red Raiders. No Bears or Horned Frogs. No Mountaineers or Cyclones. No Wildcats or Jayhawks.

Just like last year.

First-round picks total the last two years: the Big 12 zero, the University of Tulsa two.

Meanwhile, 12 players from the Southeastern Conference were picked in the first round Thursday night, same as last season. Seven SEC schools had first-rounders Thursday night; six SEC schools had first-rounders last year.

Now you know why OU is headed to the SEC.

Oh, sure, it’s more about money than anything. But it’s also about prestige and reputation and football recruiting.

The SEC won the battle. Its hype long ago became reality. Players migrate to the SEC because of draft results.

Alabama has had 19 first-round picks in the last five drafts. Georgia’s defense alone had five Thursday night, giving the Bulldogs 12 over the five years.

But it’s not just Alabama or Georgia. During that span, Louisiana State has had eight. Florida five. South Carolina and Mississippi State three each. Auburn, Arkansas and Kentucky two each. Texas A&M one.

That’s 57 over a five-year period; 4.1 per SEC school.

Meanwhile, the Big 12 has had nine total. That’s 0.9 per Big 12 school.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...ec/9582846002/
                                            ---

Comment

Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                                              ---

Tramel's ScissorTales: Big 12's performance in NFL Draft helps show why OU & Texas are headed to the SEC

Berry Tramel
                                              Oklahoman

The NFL Draft’s first round was conducted Thursday night. No Big 12 players were selected.

No Sooners or Cowboys. No Longhors or Red Raiders. No Bears or Horned Frogs. No Mountaineers or Cyclones. No Wildcats or Jayhawks.
                                              Tulsa
                                              Just like last year.

First-round picks total the last two years: the Big 12 zero, the University of Tulsa two.

Meanwhile, 12 players from the Southeastern Conference were picked in the first round Thursday night, same as last season. Seven SEC schools had first-rounders Thursday night; six SEC schools had first-rounders last year.

Now you know why OU is headed to the SEC.

Oh, sure, it’s more about money than anything. But it’s also about prestige and reputation and football recruiting.

The SEC won the battle. Its hype long ago became reality. Players migrate to the SEC because of draft results.

Alabama has had 19 first-round picks in the last five drafts. Georgia’s defense alone had five Thursday night, giving the Bulldogs 12 over the five years.

But it’s not just Alabama or Georgia. During that span, Louisiana State has had eight. Florida five. South Carolina and Mississippi State three each. Auburn, Arkansas and Kentucky two each. Texas A&M one.

That’s 57 over a five-year period; 4.1 per SEC school.

Meanwhile, the Big 12 has had nine total. That’s 0.9 per Big 12 school.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...ec/9582846002/
                                              ---
                                              Tulsa has had back to back 1st rounders. Maybe OU should go to the AAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Pokej View Post

It comes down to recruiting and developement. We've heard over and over how weak OU's defensive mindset has been for a number of years with fums and I don't think grinch was much better. I don't believe going to the SEC or any other conference is going to automatically improve your recruiting, player developement, or increase the number of players the program puts into the NFL. For sure it might better the team in several ways but at the end of the day it comes down to the players, not the name of the school or the conference it's in. This year's draft was pretty boring to me to the point I didn't care to watch it and this is the first time in years I didn't watch.

Comment

It comes down to recruiting and developement. We've heard over and over how weak OU's defensive mindset has been for a number of years with fums and I don't think grinch was much better. I don't believe going to the SEC or any other conference is going to automatically improve your recruiting, player developement, or increase the number of players the program puts into the NFL. For sure it might better the team in several ways but at the end of the day it comes down to the players, not the name of the school or the conference it's in. This year's draft was pretty boring to me to the point I didn't care to watch it and this is the first time in years I didn't watch.
                                                  Since Lincoln took over and changed our weight room and went to some performance based system we had fewer and fewer NFL calliber players. The ones we had drafted high early on were already at OU before. We also saw it on field the last couple years. The offense was not as good consistently under Hurts although to his credit he masked the weaknesses of the offense.

Comment

In that case, Texas should join SunBelt (kidding), besides the prestige of draft picks for the entirety of the conference XII may be fighting an uphill battle in perception...
                                                    I do think there is a good chance in an eventual upheaval of ACC/ XII/ PAC, that Oklahoma State winds up on the "right side" of power conference realignment "safe"...

It is anticipated by 2029 XII will be paid less than half that of rival conferences B1G & SEC while also trailing peer leagues of ACC & PAC, no wonder Bowlsby bolted..?
                                                    My theory is there may eventually be 3 power conferences, with a most likely to survive (in some form) as PAC, since ACC is overlapped by *P2 & XII lacking brands...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeLucky View Post

I suspect he was fucking with you, Ted. Good gawd man, it would go a long way if you had even the slightest hint of a sense of humor. Even your shameless and pathetic slobbering of Saban and all things SEC could be tolerable if you had any semblance of a sense of humor. Hell, we even tolerate a few dirty pokey state aggies here because they can actually handle jokes and roll with it. Take a cue, dude, although I suspect this is a larger problem you face far beyond this message board.
                                                      No. No, it couldn't.

Comment

Perfect spot for the Cowboys of OSU. You could be regular champions; on second thought, no you couldn't.

Comment

It is anticipated by 2029 XII will be paid less than half that of rival conferences B1G & SEC while also trailing peer leagues of ACC & PAC, ...
                                                          Wasn't there someone on the Realignment Thread telling us that XII would be making as much as B1G and SEC only about six months ago? A WVU fanatic IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketCitySooner View Post

Wasn't there someone on the Realignment Thread telling us that XII would be making as much as B1G and SEC only about six months ago? A WVU fanatic IIRC.
                                                            Yeah there "was" a WVU guy (not to confuse the West Virginia fan [that I tease] Julius who rightly said XII was in more trouble long term for keeping OU/ UT)...

The culprit was Buckaineer I've no idea what happened to the guy posting, but at the time we both thought XII [reformed] could bust up PAC top brands...

Comment

Yeah there "was" a WVU guy (not to confuse the West Virginia fan [that I tease] Julius who rightly said XII was in more trouble long term for keeping OU/ UT)...

The culprit was Buckaineer I've no idea what happened to the guy posting, but at the time we both thought XII [reformed] could bust up PAC top brands...
                                                              Buckaineer's last post was the day after the announcement that OU/UT were leaving for SEC.
                                                              As far as I know, he never commented on their departure.

Comment

I'm gonna state the obvious, but man the next 2 years are gonna suck. If we remain in this conference. A bunch of new teams coming in, the schedule will be a monster to put together. Logistics to and from BYU and UCF, etc. And its all just temporary.

All the while, everyone being keenly aware that we're just there for contractual reasons. If we win big, what does it say? What does it achieve? Not much. If we lose, holy shit. These other teams are gonna rush the field and scream SECSEC.

A total shit show. Probably an epic amount of fist fights and ejections.

Comment

This leaves me puzzled ............ did anyone hear the entire interview with Tramel ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bustarime View Post
                                                                    I'm gonna state the obvious, but man the next 2 years are gonna suck. If we remain in this conference. A bunch of new teams coming in, the schedule will be a monster to put together. Logistics to and from BYU and UCF, etc. And its all just temporary.

All the while, everyone being keenly aware that we're just there for contractual reasons. If we win big, what does it say? What does it achieve? Not much. If we lose, holy shit. These other teams are gonna rush the field and scream SECSEC.

A total shit show. Probably an epic amount of fist fights and ejections.
                                                                    I'll be the first to admit I'm dense, but this is not an obvious shit show to me. The conference would split into divisions again and we would no doubt still play the horns and pokes. The CCG might not be a rematch which I put in the positive column. We would only play a few games with those new teams if we stay 2 years and we would still have superior talent to all teams not named Texsa. Most those new teams were better last year than the bottom third of the big12, so wouldn't hurt OUr strength of schedule. And if we win the conference with 0/1 losses, we would be highly likely to get into the CFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit View Post
                                                                      This leaves me puzzled ............ did anyone hear the entire interview with Tramel ?
                                                                      I didn't catch the whole interview but I saw enough to know this isn't what Tramel said. Tramel was referring to fans of other schools. These other schools/fans would be happy to see UT leave but would like to keep OU. Tramel most definitely not implying/stating that OU fans wanted to stay in the Big 12.

Comment

You sure know a lot about the SEC for an OU fan.

Comment

I don’t think Trammel would really believe that of people in Oklahoma.

For starters, there are no “conference fans” in Oklahoma. 80-90% OU faithful versus Tulsa and Okie Light fans. Okie Light wants out of the annual “Bed-lame” beatdown as much as they dream little aggy dreams of SEC teams beating OU.
                                                                          So, you have OU fans who want out, aggy fans who want OU out and the seventeen or so Tulsa fans who just want to make sure they don’t end up playing Jenks or Bixby.
                                                                          No, Berry… nobody in Oklahoma gives a fuck about OU’s future BIG 12 status— unless your talking about wanting to know when it’s over.

Comment

1. What series is he referring to wanting to keep it going?

2. Who is “he”? He is referring to someone named “Kenny”…

3. He talked with an anonymous AD who asked if this guy talking May can help talk OU in to staying in the BIG 12 and he pretty much told them, like he told “Kenny”, no chance, they are headed to the SEC.

Bout all I got out of that twat and talk with PF.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by SEC View Post

1. What series is he referring to wanting to keep it going?

2. Who is “he”? He is referring to someone named “Kenny”…

3. He talked with an anonymous AD who asked if this guy talking May can help talk OU in to staying in the BIG 12 and he pretty much told them, like he told “Kenny”, no chance, they are headed to the SEC.

Bout all I got out of that twat and talk with PF.
                                                                              https://okstate.com/sports/softball/...-gajewski/1762

Comment

#40
                                                                                That pretty much answers my 1 and 2.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Tramel's ScissorTales: Oklahoma State softball coach Kenny Gajewski wonders if OU indeed will leave for SEC

Berry Tramel
                                                                                  Oklahoman

Ten reporters and OSU softball coach Kenny Gajewski were talking OU/OSU on a chilly Tuesday morning when Gajewski dropped a bombshell.

Concerning OU’s eventual move to the Southeastern Conference, Gajewski turned skeptic.

“I don’t even know that they’re going to the SEC,” Gajewski said. “Do you think so? You think that’s all going to happen? I just think there’s a lot of unknowns.”

Gajewski admitted he’s a conspiracy guy, and the chaos that has come to college sports is enough to make anyone wonder about the future.

“I just think this whole thing is going to blow up,” Gajewski said. “I just think this whole thing is going in a weird place. Everybody’s kind of jockeying.”

So count him as dubious that the Sooners and Texas are SEC-bound.

“Until it happens and happens for sure and they have that patch that doesn’t say Big 12, it says SEC...” Gajewski said.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Now that I see that Kenny Gajewski quote, it's not an outrageous theory. I posted something similar when the SEC move was announced. Something along the lines of things moving so fast, that some big realignment earthquake could hit and change everything first. A big super-conference could form that has their own regulating arm separate from the NCAA. Now there is even discussions about breaking off from the NCAA. I'd still put the odds on us going to the SEC, and even if some super conference forms, the heart of it will be the current SEC and OU is sure to be included.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

Now that I see that Kenny Gajewski quote, it's not an outrageous theory. I posted something similar when the SEC move was announced. Something along the lines of things moving so fast, that some big realignment earthquake could hit and change everything first. A big super-conference could form that has their own regulating arm separate from the NCAA. Now there is even discussions about breaking off from the NCAA. I'd still put the odds on us going to the SEC, and even if some super conference forms, the heart of it will be the current SEC and OU is sure to be included.
                                                                                      Sounds like the SEC once OU arrives.

Comment

#44

I don’t see it stopping there. Eventually we will be like Europe where “amateur” athletics don’t really exist for sports for football/soccer and mens bball. Unless the universities can keep the upper hand which they do now with tradition, fan base and marketing. 20 (shit 5?) years from now? Lol who knows!

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by BobStoopsReal View Post

I don’t see it stopping there. Eventually we will be like Europe where “amateur” athletics don’t really exist for sports for football/soccer and mens bball. Unless the universities can keep the upper hand which they do now with tradition, fan base and marketing. 20 (shit 5?) years from now? Lol who knows!
                                                                                          The money is coming because of the universities, not the athletes. Once that tie is broken, so goes the money. Boosters aren't going to be funding "NIL" money for the Norman Numbnuts development academy team.

Comment

#46

The money is coming because of the universities, not the athletes. Once that tie is broken, so goes the money. Boosters aren't going to be funding "NIL" money for the Norman Numbnuts development academy team.
                                                                                            Boosters will be irrelevant. Once the players successfully unionize they won’t need them. They will go after a piece of the real pie.

Comment

#47

Exactly. Go to any semi-pro/farm club game in any sport and see the level of interest. If this trend ever breaks the connection between the school and the team, this ballon will deflate. These are not like pro teams that have the best players in the country. These are the future best players in the country mixed in with a lot of players that have reached the end of their playing career due to limited ability. The only reason the masses care is the connection to the school.

Comment

#48

Exactly. Go to any semi-pro/farm club game in any sport and see the level of interest. If this trend ever breaks the connection between the school and the team, this ballon will deflate. These are not like pro teams that have the best players in the country. These are the future best players in the country mixed in with a lot of players that have reached the end of their playing career due to limited ability. The only reason the masses care is the connection to the school.
                                                                                                Careful

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by SEC View Post

Careful
                                                                                                  About what?

Comment

#50

About what?
                                                                                                    Spelling man.

It’s serial here.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1