Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USC Tampering?

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I just saw a rumor that Xavier Worthy was offered big money to transfer. Interesting....

    Comment


      Originally posted by Balko View Post

      You should have heard what OU fans were calling Gomer Jones back in the day.
      Worse than "Gomer" ?

      Comment


        Nothing surprises in this day of NIL.

        Comment


          Its only fitting this about a WR and Riley, QB's and WR's were all Riley cared about.

          Comment


            Did USC tamper with Xavier Worthy?

            Comment


              Originally posted by Balko View Post

              You should have heard what OU fans were calling Gomer Jones back in the day.
              Not sure what they said about Gomer but Riley would've been destroyed in the Oklahoma press.
              Why you, greedy guts, chicken hearted, mollycoddling, white livered, skin flint.

              Comment


                Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post
                I just saw a rumor that Xavier Worthy was offered big money to transfer. Interesting....
                Now Worthy and another Texas DB have both came out and said they were offered significant money to transfer to another Power Five program. I wish they'd say who.

                Of course the speculation on Twitter is that it was Riley, but who knows.

                Comment


                  https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ransfer-portal

                  This article has almost the exact wording of CW's letter when he entered the portal. They aren't even trying.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

                    Worse than "Gomer" ?
                    LOL. I was a little kid but I remember a lot of Gomer Jones/Gomer Pyle jokes.

                    They also had these "Go Gomer" seat cushions back then. Seemed like everybody had those. People used to joke about those having a different meaning than what was intended.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post

                      Now Worthy and another Texas DB have both came out and said they were offered significant money to transfer to another Power Five program. I wish they'd say who.

                      Of course the speculation on Twitter is that it was Riley, but who knows.
                      I think if it were the former coach of your hated rival, there would be no compunction about saying so.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post

                        I think if it were the former coach of your hated rival, there would be no compunction about saying so.
                        Maybe but really it doesn't matter if it's Riley, another coach, an Oklahoma Coach, or even a player, it's still horrible for the sport.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Mobman View Post
                          https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ransfer-portal

                          This article has almost the exact wording of CW's letter when he entered the portal. They aren't even trying.
                          A possibility he will return to Pitt.

                          See, Panther fans? Nothing to see here. He’s coming back.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

                            LOL. I was a little kid but I remember a lot of Gomer Jones/Gomer Pyle jokes.

                            They also had these "Go Gomer" seat cushions back then. Seemed like everybody had those. People used to joke about those having a different meaning than what was intended.
                            The Gomer Pyle show ruined it for people named Gomer. It became synonymous with being a back country hick and maybe not too bright. I feel sorry for women named Karen these days as that has become a stereotype personality vs just a name.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

                              The Gomer Pyle show ruined it for people named Gomer. It became synonymous with being a back country hick and maybe not too bright. I feel sorry for women named Karen these days as that has become a stereotype personality vs just a name.
                              Middle name of Wayne has a bit of a bad reputation as well.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
                                How is this not a smilie yet?

                                ChpThril​​​​​​​

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by tenaciOUs b View Post

                                  Middle name of Wayne has a bit of a bad reputation as well.
                                  Middle name Wayne = Serial Killer.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by BeelzeBob View Post

                                    Middle name Wayne = Serial Killer.
                                    Robert Allen = Cereal Killer

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by 49cent View Post

                                      A possibility he will return to Pitt.

                                      See, Panther fans? Nothing to see here. He’s coming back.
                                      The "Pinball Wizard" is too busy correcting portal exit statements, vs actually trying to keep a solid defensive roster:

                                      ---


                                      Ryan Abraham

                                      @insidetroy
                                      BREAKING: #USC redshirt junior edge rusher/OLB Eli'jah Winston is in the NCAA Transfer Portal.
                                      @247SportsPortal
                                      Winston had 10 total tackles in his career appearing in 13 games with 1 start.


                                      ---

                                      Could be a case of win some/ lose some on portals, but it feels like (cough) the ol' ball coach not prioritizing defense...

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by kopp0e View Post

                                        The "Pinball Wizard" is too busy correcting portal exit statements, vs actually trying to keep a solid defensive roster:

                                        ---


                                        Ryan Abraham

                                        @insidetroy
                                        BREAKING: #USC redshirt junior edge rusher/OLB Eli'jah Winston is in the NCAA Transfer Portal.
                                        @247SportsPortal
                                        Winston had 10 total tackles in his career appearing in 13 games with 1 start.


                                        ---

                                        Could be a case of win some/ lose some on portals, but it feels like (cough) the ol' ball coach not prioritizing defense...
                                        Judging from his stats, or lack thereof, the guy just isn't good enough and is moving on.

                                        We've had two defensive guys hit the portal in the last week, but I think we are prioritizing defense.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post

                                          Maybe but really it doesn't matter if it's Riley, another coach, an Oklahoma Coach, or even a player, it's still horrible for the sport.
                                          Portalgate and pay-for-play will vietually eliminate HS recruiting importance for some— as they can just swoop in and pick up accomplished stars with eligibility to fill each roster spot. Building rosters as if to say Kansas State, Pitt, Okie Light etc are all farm teams for the big dogs.
                                          It’s funny to a certain extent but overall very bad for the sport.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by 49cent View Post

                                            Portalgate and pay-for-play will vietually eliminate HS recruiting importance for some— as they can just swoop in and pick up accomplished stars with eligibility to fill each roster spot. Building rosters as if to say Kansas State, Pitt, Okie Light etc are all farm teams for the big dogs.
                                            It’s funny to a certain extent but overall very bad for the sport.
                                            Which also means less scholarships for high school graduates. Very bad from that aspect as well.

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by 49cent View Post

                                              Portalgate and pay-for-play will vietually eliminate HS recruiting importance for some— as they can just swoop in and pick up accomplished stars with eligibility to fill each roster spot. Building rosters as if to say Kansas State, Pitt, Okie Light etc are all farm teams for the big dogs.
                                              It’s funny to a certain extent but overall very bad for the sport.
                                              I think it will be the other way around. The big schools get all the very high rated players out of HS and the smaller schools get the ones that could't earn playing time after a couple of years. A coach trying to rebuild a down program could lean heavily on the portal as a jump start. Almost like the way Snyder rebooted KState by redshirting an entire class in order to field and experienced team.

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Morningwood View Post

                                                Which also means less scholarships for high school graduates. Very bad from that aspect as well.
                                                Not really. It just means a shuffling of the scholarships. In the end, it means fewer spots at the elite programs who attract the best portal talent, but a scholarship opens at the school which they transfer from.

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by Morningwood View Post

                                                  Which also means less scholarships for high school graduates. Very bad from that aspect as well.
                                                  I don't see how that math works. If the number of schools doesn't change and the scholarship limit doesn't change, then the number incoming HS players is constant. It could increase the number of players that never see the field at smaller schools as that playing time goes to transfers who would have sat the bench at Bama, et al.

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post

                                                    Not really. It just means a shuffling of the scholarships. In the end, it means fewer spots at the elite programs who attract the best portal talent, but a scholarship opens at the school which they transfer from.
                                                    Pay star players enough for them to walk on and pay their own tuition than use the scholarships on projects. We could have 200 players out the like the old Nebraska teams before scholarship limits.

                                                    Comment


                                                      Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                      Pay star players enough for them to walk on and pay their own tuition than use the scholarships on projects. We could have 200 players out the like the old Nebraska teams before scholarship limits.
                                                      I think there's a cap on walk ons too but you could certainly see how you can make you're "walk ons" WAY more talented than what they traditionally are by have the guys with big NIL deals pay their way and using that scholarship for someone else.

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                        Pay star players enough for them to walk on and pay their own tuition than use the scholarships on projects. We could have 200 players out the like the old Nebraska teams before scholarship limits.
                                                        When you gave out schollies to keep players from being on other teams... Rules on transferring then and Transfer portal won't allow that to happen now.

                                                        Comment


                                                          I can't imagine what it'd be like to be a cfb coach now days.

                                                          You befriend a high school kid. Recruit him, schmooze him, visit him in his home, schmooze his parents, have him visit campus, get him to sign, and once you have him in a dorm and on the roster you'd like to think that you could depend on him being there but you can't. Once he's in your locker room you have to continue to recruit him for the next three or four years. On top of that, you have to continue to recruit new players and scour the portal because that guy you spent three or four years recruiting out of high school jumped ship for more NIL money so now you have to replace him post haste.

                                                          That's tiring.

                                                          Comment


                                                            Originally posted by Morningwood View Post

                                                            Which also means less scholarships for high school graduates. Very bad from that aspect as well.
                                                            Since they pushed for this, I'm pretty stoked about this. This is what happens when you let children manage any situation...can't see the forest for the trees.

                                                            I see people that support this don't want to give (posts after your initial one)...here's the scenario. How does a coach give a scholarship to a HS player when the signing period passes before one of their recruits enters the portal? Secondly, as "marketing" dollars are redirected to players instead of going into athletic dept coffers, the AD makes less money.

                                                            You deniers just keep burying your heads. This is a way bigger deal than you want to admit.

                                                            Comment


                                                              It appears the 25 per year initial scholarship offer cap will be completely removed, leaving just the 85 total scholarship limit. That'll help things out, especially for teams that end up having to use the portal a bunch. Overall you can still sign the same number of high school players and use the portal based upon how many players you end up losing to the portal maintaining the overall 85 scholarship limit.

                                                              Everything ends up balancing out in the end. For a team that may want to reserve more spots for portal players, that opens up scholarship spots at the places those players are portaling out of.

                                                              Comment


                                                                Originally posted by traxx View Post
                                                                I can't imagine what it'd be like to be a cfb coach now days.

                                                                You befriend a high school kid. Recruit him, schmooze him, visit him in his home, schmooze his parents, have him visit campus, get him to sign, and once you have him in a dorm and on the roster you'd like to think that you could depend on him being there but you can't. Once he's in your locker room you have to continue to recruit him for the next three or four years. On top of that, you have to continue to recruit new players and scour the portal because that guy you spent three or four years recruiting out of high school jumped ship for more NIL money so now you have to replace him post haste.

                                                                That's tiring.
                                                                It's a level playing field within a schools peer group. And look at the astronomical compensation of head coaches and top coordinators. I don't see any coaches bailing due to changing conditions although they might gripe all the way to the bank. Leadership and competence will still rule the day and players that are thriving in at those programs will not want to leave. There will be exceptions such as the Pitt WR. But even in that case there are other factors. Pitt changed his position coach as well as the OC and such coaching changes have often resulted in a transfer; and he may still decide to stay if "sources close to him" are accurate.

                                                                Comment


                                                                  Maybe if they put tamper proof lids on all the colleges like they do on bottles of Tylenol then that'll keep them from tampering .

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

                                                                    How is this not a smilie yet?

                                                                    ChpThril
                                                                    Idindonuthn.

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
                                                                      It appears the 25 per year initial scholarship offer cap will be completely removed, leaving just the 85 total scholarship limit. That'll help things out, especially for teams that end up having to use the portal a bunch. Overall you can still sign the same number of high school players and use the portal based upon how many players you end up losing to the portal maintaining the overall 85 scholarship limit.

                                                                      Everything ends up balancing out in the end. For a team that may want to reserve more spots for portal players, that opens up scholarship spots at the places those players are portaling out of.
                                                                      Do they need limits on scholarships? The NIL could just pay the tuition.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Originally posted by Velo Sooner View Post

                                                                        I think it will be the other way around. The big schools get all the very high rated players out of HS and the smaller schools get the ones that could't earn playing time after a couple of years. A coach trying to rebuild a down program could lean heavily on the portal as a jump start. Almost like the way Snyder rebooted KState by redshirting an entire class in order to field and experienced team.
                                                                        Thermodynamic equilibrium.

                                                                        The way I see it, the Blue Blood schools will continue to get the cream of the crop. Occasionally there will be a stand-out player from a smaller school that will transfer up to a Blue Blood school, for example, that receiver that just transferred from Pitt to USC.

                                                                        But there will be bench warmers at the Blue Bloods that won't have the patience to wait for their turn. They'll want immediate playing time, so they'll transfer from a Blue Blood to a smaller school.

                                                                        Blue Blood depth will suffer, and smaller schools will get better, therefore, making the playing field more level, so to speak. But the Blue Bloods will continue to dominate.
                                                                        Live Free or Die!

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

                                                                          Thermodynamic equilibrium.

                                                                          The way I see it, the Blue Blood schools will continue to get the cream of the crop. Occasionally there will be a stand-out player from a smaller school that will transfer up to a Blue Blood school, for example, that receiver that just transferred from Pitt to USC.

                                                                          But there will be bench warmers at the Blue Bloods that won't have the patience to wait for their turn. They'll want immediate playing time, so they'll transfer from a Blue Blood to a smaller school.

                                                                          Blue Blood depth will suffer, and smaller schools will get better, therefore, making the playing field more level, so to speak. But the Blue Bloods will continue to dominate.
                                                                          So effectively you feel that like school like Pitt loses a wide out superstar... but gains one one of the 20 5 star D linemen that A&M collected that aren't going to be able to start.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

                                                                            So effectively you feel that like school like Pitt loses a wide out superstar... but gains one one of the 20 5 star D linemen that A&M collected that aren't going to be able to start.
                                                                            Only if Pitt becomes a blue blood. I see those disgruntled 5 stars DL more likely to be calling up BV in a couple of years (once they are in the portal, of course).

                                                                            Assuming the easy transfer rule remains, it will lift the quality of play across the board. Some good, but not elite, players will play at lessor schools vs sitting the bench at the elites. The casualties will be the displaced players now being backups at smaller schools resulting in more talent on the field and less on the bench, but the total numbers remain the same. This has always been the case, but the effect was more limited by the 1 year sit rule. I don't see this as a huge difference as the elites will still dominate by a wide margin.
                                                                            Last edited by Velo Sooner; 05-05-2022, 07:21 AM.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

                                                                              So effectively you feel that like school like Pitt loses a wide out superstar... but gains one one of the 20 5 star D linemen that A&M collected that aren't going to be able to start.
                                                                              Exactly
                                                                              Live Free or Die!

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

                                                                                Thermodynamic equilibrium.

                                                                                The way I see it, the Blue Blood schools will continue to get the cream of the crop. Occasionally there will be a stand-out player from a smaller school that will transfer up to a Blue Blood school, for example, that receiver that just transferred from Pitt to USC.

                                                                                But there will be bench warmers at the Blue Bloods that won't have the patience to wait for their turn. They'll want immediate playing time, so they'll transfer from a Blue Blood to a smaller school.

                                                                                Blue Blood depth will suffer, and smaller schools will get better, therefore, making the playing field more level, so to speak. But the Blue Bloods will continue to dominate.
                                                                                Would not have any problem with transfers if it worked like that.

                                                                                But the transfer process needs definite windows when transfers can occur . And some rules to attempt to hold poaching down to a dull roar.

                                                                                Right now, coaches try to build their team in spring ball, only to see key pieces hit the portal. Every sports league has some point when rosters are pretty much set and they can't lose key players, unless they agree to trade key players.

                                                                                I'm a believer that football needs some continuity. Its not like basketball where five players can learn to play with each other quickly and rosters can undergo complete changeover every year.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post
                                                                                  Riley is turning into Urban Meyer version 2.0.
                                                                                  minus the National Championships

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by kopp0e View Post
                                                                                    The "Pinball Wizard" is too busy correcting portal exit statements, vs actually trying to keep a solid defensive roster:
                                                                                    Ryan Abraham
                                                                                    @insidetroy
                                                                                    BREAKING: #USC redshirt junior edge rusher/OLB Eli'jah Winston is in the NCAA Transfer Portal.
                                                                                    @247SportsPortal
                                                                                    Winston had 10 total tackles in his career appearing in 13 games with 1 start.

                                                                                    Could be a case of win some/ lose some on portals, but it feels like (cough) the ol' ball coach not prioritizing defense...
                                                                                    Defense is for plebs.

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Originally posted by traxx View Post
                                                                                      ...and once you have him in a dorm and on the roster you'd like to think that you could depend on him being there but you can't. Once he's in your locker room you have to continue to recruit him for the next three or four years. On top of that, you have to continue to recruit new players and scour the portal because that guy you spent three or four years recruiting out of high school jumped ship for more NIL money so now you have to replace him post haste.
                                                                                      Fuck. That.

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by TheBoots View Post
                                                                                        How is this not a smilie yet?ChpThril
                                                                                        Well if we're talking adding new smilies, let's at least make sure they're accurate to reality:

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Originally posted by Dr. X View Post

                                                                                          Well if we're talking adding new smilies, let's at least make sure they're accurate to reality:
                                                                                          Dribble some Famous Dave’s BBQ sauce down his shirt and make it a smilie

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Originally posted by SoonerBurglar View Post
                                                                                            Riley is turning into Urban Meyer version 2.0.
                                                                                            Except he can’t coach defense or ST. Or has any clue about how to win a national title. Outside of QB coach, he’s worthless, and even that is coming into question

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              A buddy of mine told me that Sam Mayes was talking about how Ethan Downs and his family told him that Grinch texted him saying, "you'd look good in USC colors." Like not even hiding it. Anyone else hear about this?

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by DFWSooner View Post
                                                                                                A buddy of mine told me that Sam Mayes was talking about how Ethan Downs and his family told him that Grinch texted him saying, "you'd look good in USC colors." Like not even hiding it. Anyone else hear about this?
                                                                                                If this is accurate, there has to be more than just Ethan Downs. Which begs the question, why are we doing nothing about it? Letting bygones be bygones isn’t nearly as spiteful and cut throat as I would be.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by Orangejello Jones View Post

                                                                                                  If this is accurate, there has to be more than just Ethan Downs. Which begs the question, why are we doing nothing about it? Letting bygones be bygones isn’t nearly as spiteful and cut throat as I would be.
                                                                                                  It’s legit. I went and found it myself. It’s on Mayes podcast. I don’t know how to add podcasts here so I’ll just add the link. Fast forward to 29:00. A lot of other interesting stuff about Riley and his staff leaving. Said that Cain was the only coach that reached out to him. He also tried to reach out to some of the coaches who left but only got a response from Grinch trying to recruit him to USC. Also a lot of good stuff about Venables and the new staff.

                                                                                                  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1474101057
                                                                                                  Last edited by DFWSooner; 05-06-2022, 06:12 PM.

                                                                                                  Comment

                                                                                                  Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                                                                                  Collapse

                                                                                                  Go To Top

                                                                                                  Collapse

                                                                                                  Working...
                                                                                                  X
                                                                                                  UA-124223861-1