First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OU Softball fall 2021 and 2022 season

Okay, Patty and the team got #5. We're loaded again. A bunch of highly recruited rookies are coming in September, and we got grad transfer pitcher Trautwein. Has anyone seen our fall and/or spring season schedules? Hopefully, there will be early season tournaments that have some top 25, and even top 10 teams we will play.

Originally posted by TaimenHuchen View Post
    Okay, Patty and the team got #5. We're loaded again. A bunch of highly recruited rookies are coming in September, and we got grad transfer pitcher Trautwein. Has anyone seen our fall and/or spring season schedules? Hopefully, there will be early season tournaments that have some top 25, and even top 10 teams we will play.
    Schedule is typically published in early August with games starting in early October.

Comment

Here's some short Jordyn Bahl videos. She might have several career opportunities after finishing college!:

https://twitter.com/jordybahl/status...392587265?s=20

Comment

Seems to me that the most recent elite or semi elite left handed pitchers in college softball have been Sooners(or, Go Boomer). Juarez, Parker and Lowary. Other top pitchers from other teams have been right handed in recent years, such as Garcia, Plain, Oddici Alexander, Megan King, Fouts, Sandercock, Gurley, Barnhill, etc.

Comment

Seems to me that the most recent elite or semi elite left handed pitchers in college softball have been Sooners(or, Go Boomer). Juarez, Parker and Lowary. Other top pitchers from other teams have been right handed in recent years, such as Garcia, Plain, Oddici Alexander, Megan King, Fouts, Sandercock, Gurley, Barnhill, etc.
          As in Delanie from UF? She was a lefty if that’s who you’re referring to. That girl had the best change up I do believe I’ve ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
            As in Delanie from UF? She was a lefty if that’s who you’re referring to. That girl had the best change up I do believe I’ve ever seen.
            My bad then, on that one. I didn't remembeher being lefty.

Comment

For some reason, we just have a habit of finding the best lefties. They're not all that common.

Eventually we're going to win a title with a righty, bit it's a cool legacy.

Comment

Speaking of lefties, I've heard unofficially that Alanna Thiede, our only lefty, is now in the portal.

If true, we're down to four RHPs on the roster. Little doubt they'll be looking for a leftie.

Comment

As a junior, in 19-20, she was 27-0 with a .15 ERA and 299 Ks. She also belted 22 HRs. As a senior she was 27-0 with a .10 ERA. She hit 20 homers this past season. No wonder a number of pitchers and position players entered the portal from the SB team.Wow!!

https://twitter.com/OU_Softball/status/

Her, Trautwein & May should be a very formidable trio in the circle next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                    As a junior, in 19-20, she was 27-0 with a .15 ERA and 299 Ks. She also belted 22 HRs. As a senior she was 27-0 with a .10 ERA. She hit 20 homers this past season. No wonder a number of pitchers and position players entered the portal from the SB team.Wow!!

We’ve seen some outrageous stats….her pitching numbers are a new level of outrageous. Dang. Can’t wait to see her play in crimson and cream.

Comment

I am pretty much totally unfamiliar with the pitching of Macy McAdoo. Sure hope she's healthy now, and can deliver.

Comment

Here's the Oklahoman's article on Bahl's honor:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=uxbndlbing

Comment

And now there's talk that the #2 pitcher for UCLA who missed the World Series had a wall run into her hand. Wonder what the whole story is. It might explain the negative vibes one sensed while they were losing to Alabama and the Sooners.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCalSooner View Post
                            And now there's talk that the #2 pitcher for UCLA who missed the World Series had a wall run into her hand. Wonder what the whole story is. It might explain the negative vibes one sensed while they were losing to Alabama and the Sooners.
                            Faraimo had been very effective towards the end of the season, right before the WCWS. I too would be curious as to what the heck happened with her. Garcia has finished college eligibility. Faraimo will likely be UCLA's top pitcher next year.

Comment

Oklahoma has been added to the list of teams playing in the Mary Nutter Classic, February 24 - 27, 2022.

Comment

Mary, Mary ... why you nuttin'?

Comment

Oklahoma has been added to the list of teams playing in the Mary Nutter Classic, February 24 - 27, 2022.

Loaded as always. It will be another great season & I can’t wait for it!!

Comment

Is Mary Nutter in Palm Springs or something?

Comment

Originally posted by cosmoxl View Post
                                      Is Mary Nutter in Palm Springs or something?
                                      Yes, Cathedral City precisely, which is in the Palm Springs area.

Comment

Yes, Cathedral City precisely, which is in the Palm Springs area.
                                        Oh I hope it's not flosoftball that's the sole broadcaster. they are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmoxl View Post

Oh I hope it's not flosoftball that's the sole broadcaster. they are crap.
                                          unfortunately ....

Comment

Sooner Frosh Zaida Puni is in the transfer portal. I'm sure she wants more playing time. She was super enthusiastic throughout the season.

While it's unfortunate that players have to leave to play, it does free up scholarship allotments. With the transfers, I think we are down to about 22 (27 - 6 + 1) players next year with an allotment of 12 scholarships.

Comment

Sooner Frosh Zaida Puni is in the transfer portal. I'm sure she wants more playing time. She was super enthusiastic throughout the season.

While it's unfortunate that players have to leave to play, it does free up scholarship allotments. With the transfers, I think we are down to about 22 (27 - 6 + 1) players next year with an allotment of 12 scholarships.
                                              Dayum, it seemed to me that Patty spoke enthusiastically about Zaida's talent. I thought she might have been nicked up in some way, and was going to be used more when healthy.

Comment

Dayum, it seemed to me that Patty spoke enthusiastically about Zaida's talent. I thought she might have been nicked up in some way, and was going to be used more when healthy.
                                                Maybe our seniors are trending towards using their extra year.

Zaida is an IF, and our infield--with the super seniors--would be LOADED again. This is a team one ace away from another title. This starting lineup could be nigh impossible to crack.
                                                Last edited by CrimsonOberon; 06-22-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Prediction: Rylie Boone will get LOTS more playing time next year. So many weapons she has!

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

Maybe our seniors are trending towards using their extra year.

Zaida is an IF, and our infield--with the super seniors--would be LOADED again. This is a team one ace away from another title. This starting lineup could be nigh impossible to crack.
                                                    I would imagine that's accurate.

Comment

Prediction: Rylie Boone will get LOTS more playing time next year. So many weapons she has!
                                                      I was expecting her to get lots of playing time this past season, but the emergence of Donihoo likely affected that.

Comment

I was expecting her to get lots of playing time this past season, but the emergence of Donihoo likely affected that.
                                                        Donihoo is/was a surprise star this season. Nicole Mendes finishing up at OU will open a big opportunity for Boone, IMO She's fast, and hasn't shown to be error prone, AND, I expect she will hit pretty well, too.

Comment

Not Oklahoma related, but another long time softball coaching legend has retired:

https://twitter.com/Vol_Softball/status/

RALPH WEEKLY ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT FROM COACHING; KAREN WEEKLY AGREES TO EXTENSION

Karen Weekly to assume all head coaching responsibilities
                                                          June 23, 2021KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee softball co-head coach Ralph Weekly announced his retirement Wednesday, after a decorated 35-year coaching career highlighted by 20 years at the helm of the Lady Vols program.

Karen Weekly will assume all head coaching responsibilities after leading the program alongside her husband for the last 20 years. She has agreed to a contract extension through June of 2025.

Tennessee Athletics looks forward to recognizing and celebrating Ralph Weekly during the Lady Vols' 2022 softball season.

"First, I'd like to acknowledge the extraordinary tenure and legacy of Ralph Weekly," Tennessee Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Danny White said. "He and Karen have built Tennessee softball into one of the top programs in all of college softball. Ralph has given his all for Tennessee for more than two decades, and he certainly elevated the stature of our program in every facet during that span.

"And with Karen Weekly continuing to lead our program, we are uniquely positioned to maintain the winning tradition that she and Ralph have worked so long to establish. Karen's passion for Lady Vols softball and developing strong young women remains fierce, and we're excited to support her and her staff as they continue to pursue championships."

"I have worked every day since I entered the military at age 17," Ralph Weekly said. "I have had a fulfilling life as a father, husband, student, soldier, special agent, teacher and coach. In every endeavor, I have been surrounded by amazing people whose talents allowed me to succeed and made me a better person. I thank Joan Cronan for hiring us at Tennessee and allowing Karen and I to mentor and coach hundreds of wonderful young women. I was fortunate to work with many fantastic coaches and administrators, to include the legendary Pat Summitt. I thank every player I ever coached for their commitment to excellence on and off the playing field. Each player, male or female, has a place in my heart. I will always be a VFL and cherish the memories I made at each stop. Most of all, I thank my family for their support, patience and counsel. Karen is the smartest person I have ever known. I know she will make Tennessee softball even greater and continue our quest for a national championship."

RALPH WEEKLY LEAVES LASTING LEGACY
                                                          Ralph Weekly has a 1,450-481-2 (.750) career record that includes stints at Pacific Lutheran (1986-94), Chattanooga (1995-98, 2001) and Tennessee (2002-2021). He is No. 4 all-time among NCAA softball coaches in career wins.

During Ralph Weekly's tenure at Tennessee, the Lady Vols have become one of the nation's premier programs. UT has reached the postseason every year since 2004, hosted 16 straight NCAA Regionals, advanced to 11 Super Regionals and made seven trips to the Women's College World Series, placing in the top-3 on five occasions, including two national runner-up finishes.

Tennessee captured the 2007 SEC regular-season title under his stewardship and won the SEC Tournament title in 2006 and 2011. Ralph was named SEC Co-Coach of the Year with Karen in 2004 and 2007.

Under the Weeklys, Tennessee and the SEC reached new heights as the Lady Vols became the first SEC team to reach No. 1 in the polls, spending 11 consecutive weeks at the top during the 2007 season. That same season, UT became the first SEC program to reach the best-of-three NCAA Championship Series.

The Weeklys recruited and coached NCAA career strikeout leader Monica Abbott—along with numerous other Lady Vol greats—establishing the framework for an era of success and ascension that led to the construction of Sherri Parker Lee Stadium, which opened in 2008. Between 2004 and 2013, Tennessee put together seven 50-win seasons, including three straight 60-plus-win campaigns in 2005, 2006 and 2007.­

The 2005 season was especially sweet, as UT won a program-best 67 games, made its first WCWS appearance and began its streak of hosting NCAA Regionals.

A 2011 NFCA Hall of Fame inductee, Ralph Weeklyis tied with Karen Weekly as the second-winningest coach in Tennessee Athletics history with a 949-300-2 (.759) mark, trailing only the legendary Pat Summitt.

The Weeklys' Tennessee players have earned 38 All-America recognitions, 93 All-SEC or SEC All-Freshman selections and 75 NFCA All-Region picks. The list of accolades also includes Abbott and Madison Shipman being named Honda award winners for softball in 2007 and 2014, respectively. In addition, 14 Lady Vols have been selected in the National Pro Fastpitch Draft.

In addition to his time in collegiate softball, Ralph Weekly won a pair of gold medals with Team USA softball in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics. He also served as the Director of USA National Teams from 1999-2002, and coached Team USA in 15 international tournaments. His teams won gold medals in all 15 events, including four World Championships and two Pan-American championships. Ralph Weekly also wrote the original High-Performance Plan for USA Softball Olympic Teams which allocated, for the first time ever, financial stipends for Team USA members to train and compete for Olympic and World softball championships.

As Director of USA National Teams – both men and women – Ralph Weekly partnered with then San Diego Padres owner John Moores and the City of Chula Vista, California, to fund and build a softball training and competition site for elite athletes at the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center. Team USA softball players trained there for all national and international events from 1998-2008.

Ralph Weekly began his coaching career in the United States Air Force, where he accumulated many championships at a variety of levels. He piloted squads to three All-Armed Forces World Titles, seven state titles at the United States Softball Association (USSA) level and three USSA Western World Championships.

Having retired from the United States Air Force in 1986, Ralph Weekly was the commander of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations at McChord Air Force Base in Washington state in his last duty assignment. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry for outstanding service in the Vietnam War. Weekly is a 1973 graduate of Arizona State University and has completed course work for a master's degree in International Relations from Pacific Lutheran.

"It has been one of the great privileges of my life to coach alongside my husband, Ralph," Karen Weeklysaid. "He is a winner and a builder, leaving a legacy of outstanding programs and facilities everywhere he's coached. He is a champion for women and has fought for equal opportunities for the young women he's coached at every stop during his career. Not many people get to share this journey with their best friend and life partner – I consider myself incredibly blessed. We are fortunate that he will remain as a special advisor to our program and continue to impart his wisdom and experience to the future of Tennessee softball."

KAREN WEEKLY ENERGIZED TO CONTINUE LEADING LADY VOLS
                                                          Well prepared and long qualified to assume sole leadership of the program she and her husband have built into a national power, Karen Weekly is conducting a national search for an assistant coach to join a Tennessee staff that includes pitching coach Megan Rhodes-Smith.

A 2018 NFCA Hall of Fame inductee, Karen Weeklyboasts a career record of 1,172-397-2 (.746), with 949 of those wins coming at Tennessee. Alongside Ralph Weekly, she is the second-winningest coach in Tennessee Athletics history.

Over her 25-year head coaching career, Karen Weekly's teams have averaged ­47 wins per year and have never won fewer than 32 games in a full season.

The former NFCA President began her coaching career with Ralph Weekly at Pacific Lutheran where she served as his top assistant from 1988-94. The Weekly's arrived in Tennessee in 1995 as they took charge of Chattanooga's softball program.

Following seven seasons during which their teams won five Southern Conference regular-season and five SoCon tournament titles and made a pair of NCAA appearances, Ralph and Karen Weekly left Chattanooga for Rocky Top in 2001 to begin their journey of building the Lady Vols into one of the nation's premier softball programs.

What They're Saying About Ralph Weekly:
                                                          Mike Candrea – Former Arizona Head Coach
                                                          "Ralph has been a great ambassador for our game at the college and International level for many years. His success at Tennessee is a tribute to his passion to help his athletes achieve at the highest levels! Ralph will be missed by many! Job well done!"

Carol Hutchins – Michigan Head Coach
                                                          "He has certainly earned his retirement and every accolade that has come his way. He helped build Tennessee into a championship contender and lead Team USA to many gold medals during his career with the national team. Ralph is a champion of the game and one of the greats, and will be remembered because he has left his mark on both collegiate and international softball."

Patrick Murphy – Alabama Head Coach
                                                          "Ralph is an icon in the game of softball. He taught me to respect the opponent win or lose and to never make excuses after a loss. All of us at Alabama wish him a great retirement and an open invitation to any game at The Rhoads House."

Jo Evans – Texas A&M Head Coach
                                                          "The biggest thing for me is Ralph has always been an advocate for softball and growing the game. His impact on USA softball and impact he has made on Tennessee has been profound."

Rachel Lawson – Kentucky Head Coach
                                                          "Ralph Weekly is undeniably a legend in the sport of softball. He has helped grow the game not only regionally and nationally, but internationally. He's coached with class and dignity every step of the way during his illustrious career. Personally, I want to thank Ralph for his friendship over the years and I wish him great health and happiness in retirement."

Dot Richardson – Liberty Head Coach
                                                          "Ralph has been an amazing presence in the sport of softball both at the collegiate, national and international levels. I have had the privilege to play for him at the Olympics and to coach against him during his tenure at the University of Tennessee. Ralph loves people and the sport of fastpitch softball. Because of his servant heart, he has been a trailblazer who has impacted the direction of the game. He has been a tremendous force on different committees throughout the years whose decisions have opened doors of opportunity for so many. Ralph cares deeply about making a positive impact in the lives of others both on and off the field and he has. Ralph, you will be missed!"

Monica Abbott – Lady Vol (2004-07)
                                                          "Ralph has been a big influence in the sport of softball for so long, he was a big proponent of softball getting into the Olympic games with the 1996 team. His knowledge about the game and pushing the game forward. At the time when Ralph was in his prime there was few and far between where people would be a champion for women athletes and Ralph Weekly was one of those. He was a champion for sport, the sport of softball and the sport of female athletes. He believed in a future that not a lot of people always saw and he fought for it. He fought for Sherri Parker Lee Stadium when we were at Tyson Park and he fought hard to get me to commit to Tennessee. Ralph could have been the head coach all alone, but he fought to get co-head coaches. He saw the value in women's sports and pushing the game further and further ahead to kind of where we see it today."

Sarah Fekete – Lady Vol (2003-06)
                                                          "It was an honor to play for Coach Weekly. He has given so much to the sport of softball over the last 20-30 years. But, more importantly, he has enriched the lives of so many student-athletes. Thank you for giving to the game and congratulations on your retirement!"

Madison Shipman – Lady Vol (2011-14)
                                                          "Ralph was a huge part in turning Tennessee into one of the top softball programs in the country. I want to thank him not only for what he did on the softball field but for what he did for our country off the field. I will forever be thankful for the sacrifices he made in the Air Force to fight for our freedoms and to allow girls like me to play the sport that we love. Ralph, thank you for recruiting me to be a Lady Volunteer and congratulations on a tremendous career."

Meghan Gregg – Lady Vol (2015-18)
                                                          "When hearing that Ralph was retiring after such a successful coaching career, I think about the lasting impact he is leaving on Tennessee softball. As a co-head coach, Ralph demanded excellence and grit out of every single one of his players. I feel that Ralph helped shape me into the strong woman I am today. He knew what potential each player had and expected nothing less. These high standards and how much he cared for each one of us always stood out to me. I am excited for Ralph to be able to step back and enjoy the sport that he has spent so many years helping build up and grow. I am thankful to have been coached by Ralph in the sport I love most."

Chelsea Seggern – Lady Vol (2017-21)
                                                          "Ralph is a huge part of why the game of softball has grown and is as popular as it is today. He has invested much of his life on creating an opportunity for women to show their physical strength and passion for the game at a high level. When I look back at my time at Tennessee, I have to thank him for not only giving this small town kid a chance at a childhood dream, but for also pushing me to be a great player and an even better person in life. He is a true legend of the game."

Carol Bruggeman – NFCA Executive Director
                                                          "Ralph Weekly retires as one of the most successful and decorated coaches in our profession. One of his many accolades includes the highest achievement bestowed upon a coach; a coveted spot in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Hall of Fame. Throughout his career, not only has he led teams to many championships, he has mentored young women into confident, successful contributors to society. Coach Weekly was a fierce competitor on the field and a friendly comrade off the field. Thank you for all you have done for the game. Congratulations!"

Ron Radigonda – ASA and USA Softball Executive Director (1998-2013)
                                                          "Ralph was a tremendous asset to USA Softball and was the architect of our High-Performance Plan that led to gold medals in the Olympics in 2000 and 2004. He was instrumental in recruiting some of the top NCAA coaches into our coaching pool. The combined support of USA Softball, the United States Olympic Committee, outstanding coaches and the unbelievable talent of our athletes led to phenomenal success on the diamond. I certainly wish Ralph the best in his retirement and thank him for his contributions to the sport of softball."

Michele Smith – ESPN Softball Analyst & Two-Time Olympic Gold Medal Winner with Team USA
                                                          "I was lucky enough to be a part of the career of Coach Ralph Weekly on many levels. As an Olympic athlete at two Olympic Games and with ESPN as an analyst. Ralph was always thoughtful of his players and strategic about the game. It was an honor to play for him and work with him to further the great game of softball. I congratulate him on an incredible career!"

Comment

A poster from another Sooner message board posted this today, re OU signees playing in a travel ball tournament that just was played:
                                                            Posted: Thu Jun 24th, 2021 09:16 am
                                                            Made it to the game with my daughter. We had to be in OKC and it was a last minute decision. There where multiple games there from a big tournament. Sounds like the other games are in Shawnee.

We missed the game before where SJ Geurin won 2-1. I would have liked to have seen her pitch live.

Bahl was as advertised. I only seen 1 ball hit hard by the Batbusters. She has a very nasty rise that was normally in the catchers mitt when they swung. She also went 3-3 with 2 doubles. Had a walk that seemed intentional.

she throws hard, as a guess upper 60's. Rise seems to be best pitch. I also think I seen a drop ball. I didn't see any off speed which might be something she'll add. One thing of notice she had 2 illegal pitches called. Has the Barnhill type hop. I was told that she does get called for this on occasion. If felt like she could have thrown 10 innings and the Batbusters wouldn't have scored. The guy beside me called someone(not sure who he was) and said "this Jordy Bahl going to Oklahoma is a monster." After watching her hit I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the lineup at least some.

Jocy Erickson the catcher verballed to OU for Batbusters was not there. I later found out she has a torn ACL.

Hannah Coor played center field. I noticed she is kind of small in stature but there was a single up the middle to centerfielder and she almost threw a runner out scoring from 2nd that's normally a routine score. She has a cannon. Throw was a little high or she would have had her. she batted 3rd and was hittless with a bunt sacrifice. It's hard to say anything about the hitting as they only had 2 or 3 hits against Bahl the whole game.

Maya Bland a 2023 commit, only pinch run once. Younger girl I'm sure she'll get more playing time next year. Looks like a speedy athlete.

A couple of OU interests, Ryan Maddux a lefty pitcher started for Batbusters. Was 0-0 through 4 before they got to her. Nebraska ended up hitting a grand slam and 2 run homer and she was pulled. She looked solid. Has that OU lefty look. Didn't throw as hard as Bahl. Sometimes caught to much of the plate with her fastball and when she did they hit it hard. Lets also remember she is a 2023 so still pretty young.

Ella Paker hit but didn't pitch this game. She got 1 of the hits off Bahl. A seeing eye'd ground Bahl up the middle. You can tell she's a baller. I would have liked to seen her on the mound. Again I hear the is a UCLA/OU battle and one we'd love to get. Her uncle is manager of the Dodgers.

Again, Bahl looks the part. the OC Batbusters are one of the premier teams in club ball and she looked like she could have shut them out for 10 innings if she'd pitched that long. Very confident, seems to have lots of personality. Again I wish I'd seen Geurin pitch but sounds like a dominant performance where she give up 1 run. She beat Athletics Mercado, another premier team. Future of pitching looks very bright with Bahl, May, and Geurin.

It was a who's who of people there. My daughter said Jocelyn Alo is sitting behind us. She got up and took some pictures with some kids but my daughter was to chicken to ask for one. While leaving we passed Jayda Coleman

Patty Gasso, Rocha, Kenny Gajewski, Lisa Fernandez was also there. I also think I seen Heather Tarr. Didn't see JT but sure he was there. I'm sure I missed some others that where there. Pretty smart play by Gasso to have some of the games at OU's ballfield to get some good scouting/recruiting in. Word is Rocha was doing some recording of pitchers. So lots of working parts going on this tournament. Nice to see recruiting going in full force.

Comment

Comment

A poster from another Sooner message board posted this today, re OU signees playing in a travel ball tournament that just was played:
                                                                Posted: Thu Jun 24th, 2021 09:16 am
                                                                Made it to the game with my daughter. We had to be in OKC and it was a last minute decision. There where multiple games there from a big tournament. Sounds like the other games are in Shawnee.

We missed the game before where SJ Geurin won 2-1. I would have liked to have seen her pitch live.

Bahl was as advertised. I only seen 1 ball hit hard by the Batbusters. She has a very nasty rise that was normally in the catchers mitt when they swung. She also went 3-3 with 2 doubles. Had a walk that seemed intentional.

she throws hard, as a guess upper 60's. Rise seems to be best pitch. I also think I seen a drop ball. I didn't see any off speed which might be something she'll add. One thing of notice she had 2 illegal pitches called. Has the Barnhill type hop. I was told that she does get called for this on occasion. If felt like she could have thrown 10 innings and the Batbusters wouldn't have scored. The guy beside me called someone(not sure who he was) and said "this Jordy Bahl going to Oklahoma is a monster." After watching her hit I wouldn't be surprised to see her in the lineup at least some.

Jocy Erickson the catcher verballed to OU for Batbusters was not there. I later found out she has a torn ACL.

Hannah Coor played center field. I noticed she is kind of small in stature but there was a single up the middle to centerfielder and she almost threw a runner out scoring from 2nd that's normally a routine score. She has a cannon. Throw was a little high or she would have had her. she batted 3rd and was hittless with a bunt sacrifice. It's hard to say anything about the hitting as they only had 2 or 3 hits against Bahl the whole game.

Maya Bland a 2023 commit, only pinch run once. Younger girl I'm sure she'll get more playing time next year. Looks like a speedy athlete.

A couple of OU interests, Ryan Maddux a lefty pitcher started for Batbusters. Was 0-0 through 4 before they got to her. Nebraska ended up hitting a grand slam and 2 run homer and she was pulled. She looked solid. Has that OU lefty look. Didn't throw as hard as Bahl. Sometimes caught to much of the plate with her fastball and when she did they hit it hard. Lets also remember she is a 2023 so still pretty young.

Ella Paker hit but didn't pitch this game. She got 1 of the hits off Bahl. A seeing eye'd ground Bahl up the middle. You can tell she's a baller. I would have liked to seen her on the mound. Again I hear the is a UCLA/OU battle and one we'd love to get. Her uncle is manager of the Dodgers.

Again, Bahl looks the part. the OC Batbusters are one of the premier teams in club ball and she looked like she could have shut them out for 10 innings if she'd pitched that long. Very confident, seems to have lots of personality. Again I wish I'd seen Geurin pitch but sounds like a dominant performance where she give up 1 run. She beat Athletics Mercado, another premier team. Future of pitching looks very bright with Bahl, May, and Geurin.

It was a who's who of people there. My daughter said Jocelyn Alo is sitting behind us. She got up and took some pictures with some kids but my daughter was to chicken to ask for one. While leaving we passed Jayda Coleman

Patty Gasso, Rocha, Kenny Gajewski, Lisa Fernandez was also there. I also think I seen Heather Tarr. Didn't see JT but sure he was there. I'm sure I missed some others that where there. Pretty smart play by Gasso to have some of the games at OU's ballfield to get some good scouting/recruiting in. Word is Rocha was doing some recording of pitchers. So lots of working parts going on this tournament. Nice to see recruiting going in full force.
                                                                uh oh, the Barnhill hop.

Comment

Somewhere in the middle or a bit beyond, Bahl talks about her three main pitches: riseball (with different levels), dropball, and change up.

Comment

Vote early, vote often.

Comment

Oklahoma recruits showing out:

https://extrainningsoftball.com/club...lay-on-friday/

One final observation before getting to highlights of the day: the talent in this year’s event is very, very impressive both at the team and player level.

Now surprise, then, that well over 100 college coaches have showed up over the last few days and we’ve seen head coaches such as Florida’s Tim Walton, Oklahoma State’s Kenny Gajewski, Arizona State’s Trisha Ford, Georgia new head coach Tony Baldwin, Nebraska’s Rhonda Revelle, Missouri’s Larissa Anderson, Texas’ Mike White and probably many more I’m missing!

Here are some observations made today…

There were some amazing games on Friday, but the best one I saw—maybe the best one I’ve seen all SUMMER!—was the one at 18U between Mike Stith’s OC Batbusters and Nebraska Gold led by Beth Singleton.

The game was an amazing pitching duel between two of the top hurlers in their individual classes. It was also scoreless until the 10th inning!

We know about Jordyn Bahl, the Oklahoma-bound 2021 ranked #1 in the Extra Elite 100 and she was tremendous.

Going the distance, she struck out 15 Batbusters and only gave up one walk and no earned runs.

Like last week at Top Gun Invitational, she twice got in trouble in ITB as she got bases loaded with no outs in the 8th inning and escaped and then had the go-ahead run at third with no outs in the 9th but was able to move to the 10th inning with no runs allowed.

That changed in the top of the 10th however, as 2021 OF Hannah Coor was placed at second base and stole third to get the Batbusters a prime change to get on the board… and the third time was the charm.

With one out and the count evened at 2-2, 2023 Oklahoma commit Maya Bland put the ball in play and allowed Coor to spring home for what would be the game’s only run:

Video at link

Notice a theme yet? Coor, from Yorba Linda, Calif., is signed with the Sooners as is Bahl and Bland, one of the top 2023’s in the nation is headed there too. No wonder that Sooner pitching coach Jennifer Rochawas in the stands watching!

College coaches can’t talk about prospects they’re watching, of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the OU coach was there to also check out the pitcher on the other side: 2023 lefty Ryan Maddox, who was amazingly good.

……..

Also SJ Geurin and Texas Bombers in the semifinals. I believe Quincee Lilio plays for Athletics Mercado another Semi final team.

Comment

Oklahoma recruits showing out:

https://extrainningsoftball.com/club...lay-on-friday/

One final observation before getting to highlights of the day: the talent in this year’s event is very, very impressive both at the team and player level.

Now surprise, then, that well over 100 college coaches have showed up over the last few days and we’ve seen head coaches such as Florida’s Tim Walton, Oklahoma State’s Kenny Gajewski, Arizona State’s Trisha Ford, Georgia new head coach Tony Baldwin, Nebraska’s Rhonda Revelle, Missouri’s Larissa Anderson, Texas’ Mike White and probably many more I’m missing!

Here are some observations made today…

There were some amazing games on Friday, but the best one I saw—maybe the best one I’ve seen all SUMMER!—was the one at 18U between Mike Stith’s OC Batbusters and Nebraska Gold led by Beth Singleton.

The game was an amazing pitching duel between two of the top hurlers in their individual classes. It was also scoreless until the 10th inning!

We know about Jordyn Bahl, the Oklahoma-bound 2021 ranked #1 in the Extra Elite 100 and she was tremendous.

Going the distance, she struck out 15 Batbusters and only gave up one walk and no earned runs.

Like last week at Top Gun Invitational, she twice got in trouble in ITB as she got bases loaded with no outs in the 8th inning and escaped and then had the go-ahead run at third with no outs in the 9th but was able to move to the 10th inning with no runs allowed.

That changed in the top of the 10th however, as 2021 OF Hannah Coor was placed at second base and stole third to get the Batbusters a prime change to get on the board… and the third time was the charm.

With one out and the count evened at 2-2, 2023 Oklahoma commit Maya Bland put the ball in play and allowed Coor to spring home for what would be the game’s only run:

Video at link

Notice a theme yet? Coor, from Yorba Linda, Calif., is signed with the Sooners as is Bahl and Bland, one of the top 2023’s in the nation is headed there too. No wonder that Sooner pitching coach Jennifer Rochawas in the stands watching!

College coaches can’t talk about prospects they’re watching, of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the OU coach was there to also check out the pitcher on the other side: 2023 lefty Ryan Maddox, who was amazingly good.

……..

Also SJ Geurin and Texas Bombers in the semifinals. I believe Quincee Lilio plays for Athletics Mercado another Semi final team.
                                                                        If Patty and Jen are committed to continuing OU's lefty tradition, then Ryan Maddox has to be right at the top of their wishlist.

Comment

OU just received a commitment from someone. No clue when it will be announced though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJaffe View Post
                                                                            OU just received a commitment from someone. No clue when it will be announced though.
                                                                            Are you referencing this Coach Gasso tweet?

https://twitter.com/GassoPatty/status/

Coach sent similar tweet before Hope Trautwein's transfer announcement. On this latest tweet, at first I thought it might be one of the high profile pitchers that were in the tournament this weekend that are uncommitted. But this pitcher from Tennessee being left handed since we longer have a left handed pitcher in the program for this next season.

https://utsports.com/sports/softball...e-turner/13271

AS A SOPHOMORE (2021)
                                                                            • Tossed a six-inning shutout in the win over South Carolina (4/18)
                                                                            • Tossed a five-inning no-hitter in a win over Lamar (3/6)
                                                                            • Pitched a complete game shutout in a dominating win over Campbell (3/5)
                                                                            • Threw four scoreless innings in the win over Central Michigan (2/27)
                                                                            AS A FRESHMAN (2020)
                                                                            • Recorded an 8-7 win-loss record as the Lady Vols’ ace, making 18 appearances and 16 starts, both of which lead the SEC
                                                                            • Threw 10 complete games and one shutout
                                                                            • Tallied a 2.67 ERA in 91.2 innings pitched, which leads the conference
                                                                            • Ranked sixth in the SEC with 72 strikeouts
                                                                            • Finished fifth in the league with eight wins
                                                                            • Threw 10 strikeouts and gave up three earned runs in 7.0 innings vs Colorado State on Feb. 13
                                                                            HIGH SCHOOL/CLUB
                                                                            • 2017 6A state champion
                                                                            • 2018 6A state runner-up
                                                                            • Named 6A Pitcher of the Year in 2018
                                                                            • Recognized as an NFCA All-American in 2017 (third team) and 2018 (second team)
                                                                            • Recorded 582 strikeouts in two years of high school ball
                                                                            • Selected as 6A Player of the Year in 2017 and SAC Player of the Year
                                                                            • Made the 2017 FACA All-State team
                                                                            • Played for the East Cobb Bulelts club team
                                                                            • Won the 2018 Triple Crown national championship
                                                                            • Placed third at 2017 PGF Nationals
                                                                            • Finished second at the 2016 Junior Olympics Cup
                                                                            • Recipient of the Marilyn & Robert A. Jake Softball Scholarship Endowment
                                                                            PERSONAL
                                                                            • Parents are Dave and Karla Turner
                                                                            • Closes her eyes when she pitches
                                                                            • Knew she wanted to be a Volunteer since seventh grade after watching the Lady Vols take on the Oklahoma Sooners
                                                                            • Recipient of the Marilyn & Robert A. Jake Softball Scholarship Endowment

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...er/5356960001/

Turner joined the Lady Vols in 2020 from Land O'Lakes (Florida) High and quickly established herself as a reliable arm in the pitching rotation.

She was 10-3 with a 2.28 ERA with 17 starts this season.

Turner's career record is 18-10 with 33 starts and an ERA of 2.50.

Shipman will have two seasons of eligibility remaining, while Turner will have three.
                                                                            ……..

Her teammate & catcher Ally Shipman also entered the transfer portal. Shea’s mom wants her at Texas. No clue if Coach White wants her or not. Here’s her numbers for those curious:

Shipman, a junior from Valencia, California, has been in the starting lineup for each of her 98 career games at Tennessee since signing with the program in 2019.

She was fourth on the team in 2021 in batting average (.304) hitting eight home runs and 20 total extra base hits despite missing 14 days because of COVID-19.

Shipman started her Lady Vols career on a tear in 2019. She was hitting 328 with 21 hits, and 20 RBIs in 22 games when she suffered a broken left wrist and a torn ACL in her right knee.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Turner
                                                                              • Closes her eyes when she pitches (WHAAA?!)
                                                                              I believe Turner went to the same HS as Shannieflame, FWIW.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Here's a Knoxville newspaper account of the 2 girls going portal:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...er/5356960001/

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

If Patty and Jen are committed to continuing OU's lefty tradition, then Ryan Maddox has to be right at the top of their wishlist.
                                                                                  She has visited.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/extr...pgf-nationals/

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Turner
                                                                                    • Closes her eyes when she pitches (WHAAA?!)
                                                                                    I believe Turner went to the same HS as Shannieflame, FWIW.
                                                                                    Nuke Laloosh? Third eye thing?

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Sooner in SoCal View Post

Nuke Laloosh? Third eye thing?
                                                                                      Well, 1) I didn't see that movie 2)I'm surprised I was the first to comment(that I've seen) re questioning the value of shutting one's eyes when pitching.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Still seeing rumors/rumblings that Faraimo from UCLA will be hitting the portal. All kinds of rumors of how she broke her hand. Apparently its not softball related and had falling out with coach's. Again this is all rumor/speculation, but if it turns true, she would be a great pickup,(her with Bahl, May & Trautwein be a devastating rotation).

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Still seeing rumors/rumblings that Faraimo from UCLA will be hitting the portal. All kinds of rumors of how she broke her hand. Apparently its not softball related and had falling out with coach's. Again this is all rumor/speculation, but if it turns true, she would be a great pickup,(her with Bahl, May & Trautwein be a devastating rotation).
                                                                                          IMO Faraimo is among the 4 or so best pitchers I know of with eligibility remaining. She might be the best of the lot.

Can a healthy McAdoo be good?

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Kinzie Hansen wins D1 Catcher of the Year award:

https://d1softball.com/d1-catcher-of...kinzie-hansen/

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Kinzie Hansen wins D1 Catcher of the Year award:

https://d1softball.com/d1-catcher-of...kinzie-hansen/
                                                                                              And yet she's nowhere to be found on the All Big12 honors............................really.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Plano78 View Post

And yet she's nowhere to be found on the All Big12 honors............................really.
                                                                                                Yep, Oh the irony.

Iakopo lost a few games on her own for the whorens. Too funny she was 1st team.

Comment

#49

IMO Faraimo is among the 4 or so best pitchers I know of with eligibility remaining. She might be the best of the lot.

Can a healthy McAdoo be good?
                                                                                                  Agree if OU can get Faraimo in even without a strong left hander, that would be stout.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Sooner in SoCal View Post

Agree if OU can get Faraimo in even without a strong left hander, that would be stout.
                                                                                                    Agreed. This is courtesy of a fellow Sooner fan on another site:

Competition for starting positions only makes the team better. Shannon Saile said that when Nichole May came on she had to step up her game. No matter who transfers in, if a freshman is a better player than the transfer, the freshman will be the starter.
                                                                                                    Can you imagine the competition if,(big IF right now), Faraimo does transfer & we get her. Add her in with Bahl,(who is legitimate both pitching & hitting), a more seasoned May & Trautwine? That would be so unfair for the rest of college softball lol.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1