Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LakelandSooner View Post

You are kinda of a dumb fuck.
    You think not winning the conference would preclude them from winning the WCWS? You seem to be triggered over a game you know very little about.

Comment

Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post

You realize that phaggot is a non-Sooner troll, don't you?
      I guess I’m not familiar with he/him/they. His posts in this thread are really fucking stupid, even for this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner in SoCal View Post

Plank was vague when asked.

Cold bat, losing starting job to Brito.

Lou doesn't hit any worse than Johns who is horrible lately, yet still has a starting spot? Go figure.
        Maybe they play a different position?

Comment

Originally posted by Section31 View Post

You think not winning the conference would preclude them from winning the WCWS? You seem to be triggered over a game you know very little about.
          I said the opposite. We could be great but still lose the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post

Maybe they play a different position?
            No kidding... Maybe move pieces around is a concept to consider.

Comment

Texas celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. I'll write it off as 3rd day on the road. I recall in our two championship years 2016/17, we sometimes went flat on the 3rd day while on the road.

Comment

I don't think OU is the best team. If we make it to the CWS I'll put $100 on it that we don't win
                So you'll take the field. Massive limb you're on.

And who do you think is the best team and why?

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Dude doesn't know what he thinks.

Comment

I don't think OU is the best team. If we make it to the CWS I'll put $100 on it that we don't win
                    CLEAN UP AISLE SIX

Comment

Originally posted by NoCalSooner View Post
                      Texas celebrated like they won the Super Bowl. I'll write it off as 3rd day on the road. I recall in our two championship years 2016/17, we sometimes went flat on the 3rd day while on the road.
                      Bingo. Also, one can see Texas losing their next series,(possibly get swept), when they travel to Stillwater to face the Cowgirls,(given their over the top celebration yesterday).

Comment

Originally posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post

Will be an interesting answer. Here’s the Top 5 & their current W/L records:

Oklahoma: 38-1/8-1
                        Virginia Tech: 32-6/9-1
                        Alabama: 36-6/13-5
                        Florida State: 38-5/11-4
                        UCLA: 32-5/10-2

Also, Oklahoma has wins against:
                        Ranked 5:UCLA (road)
                        Ranked 8:Kentucky (road/run ruled)
                        #15 Tennessee
                        #18 Texas (road & took 2 of 3 to win the series).
                        #25 Arizona (neutral site/run ruled)

So, I’d be interested as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner in SoCal View Post

No kidding... Maybe move pieces around is a concept to consider.
                          I would love to see your lineup.

Comment

Texas celebrated like they won the Super Bowl.
                            well, we had won 23 games in a row against them going back to 2014. so, they were right to celebrate.

https://www.soonerstats.com/softball....cfm?oppid=181

Comment

They might not win it all, but I've watched this game up close for a LONG time...this is as good as I've ever seen.
                              I've been watching since the UCLA/Arizona "win every year" days and I think the main thing to consider is that those teams were way better than anybody else in the field. These days OU might be the greatest team ever but the margin for error is way less than it was for those UCLA and Arizona teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

I've been watching since the UCLA/Arizona "win every year" days and I think the main thing to consider is that those teams were way better than anybody else in the field. These days OU might be the greatest team ever but the margin for error is way less than it was for those UCLA and Arizona teams.
                                Agreed. It’s no longer the PAC & everyone else. The sport has grown exponentially & it’s great to see. This just makes how dominant a program we have in this era even more amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                                  Agreed. It’s no longer the PAC & everyone else. The sport has grown exponentially & it’s great to see. This just makes how dominant a program we have in this era even more amazing.
                                  Absolutely. I am actually amazed at how much talent developmental softball has put into college. So many good players around the country and in all parts of the country.

And the most direct evidence of this is that our little tournament in OKC now outdraws the men's tournament in Omaha as far as TV viewership. And while OKC gets some of the credit for putting on a pretty good show, it's the talent on the field that draws all those eyeballs.

Comment

Off subject, but still OU: MUCHOS KUDOS to our Women's gymnastics team! Their 6th National Championship won yesterday!!!

Comment

True, but I'd still be 'shocked' if Oklahoma doesn't win it all this year too...
                                      BTW, my other softball team, I watch isn't doing too bad this year either:

Comment

Originally posted by TheJaffe View Post
                                        The amount of pop ups is something I’ve never seen before. I’m still trying to figure out what about her pitches are inducing them. I mean if you combine Thursday and today that has to be at least 12 times they’ve popped out against her.
                                        Dolcini was consistently keeping ball low and has a dropper which should have induced ground balls. But we did pop the ball up extensively perhaps tried the rise ball as a change of pace. I doubt OU put good wood on 4 balls all day. Dolcini had our number just like she did Thursday when she held us to 3 hits. Fortunately Bahl shut them out Thursday.
                                        Last edited by SoonerSpock; 04-17-2022, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Courtesy of 56:

https://www.soonertimes.com/viewtopi...p=14943#p14943

That was a long drive home yesterday after the loss to Texas*. But it did not leave as bad a taste in my mouth as I thought it would. (BTW- If you like a very tasty simple burger and great 'homemade french fries' you should try P. Terry's if you are in Austin. I recommend them. Price is very good as well.)

Back to Saturday's game. It is very true that Dolcini pitched a great game. She just kept 'sawing' off the bats the Sooners were swinging. my scorebook recorded 7 infield popups on what I believe to be screwballs that broke in on the hands of right handed hitters. My seat did not allow me to know that for sure but I think that is what was going one. Dolcini pitched really well on Thursday except for three pitches, a single to Lyons with two outs and 2 solo HRs by J Coleman and Brito. She even had to get 4 outs extra due to Longhorn errors behind her. On Saturday, she responded with an even better game. She really made only one bad pitch in the game. I think that was 1 in 100 pitches. Nice ratio. Dolcini was in complete control. Hansen's 2-run HR in the 7th gave the Sooners some hope, but two infield popups squelched that hope quickly. All credit to Dolcini. When she announced her entry in the transfer portal and her subsequent intent to join the Longhorns it was pretty big news. She was and is regarded as a Top Pitcher in the NCAA ranks. I can now see strong evidence for that. Very strong. I do not think I am exaggerating when I say, that Dolcini is perhaps the best pitcher OU has faced Garcia in 2019, or maybe the Washington pitching in 2018. I hope we can figure out something between now and next time we face her.

On the softer side of the ledger, maybe OU used all the 'goody' off the bats in Lubbock the weekend before. How can one imagine looking so utterly invisible offensively one weekend and then so very tame the next. Well, it is a game. The Sooners are a team made up of human young women/ladies. It can and did happen. We will see how they respond going forward. Brito did play well this weekend offensively. She was 3 for 8 with 3 solo HRs. J Coleman was 3 for 6 with a solo HR a walk and 2 HBP. Other than the Hansen 2-run HR and the top of the 5th in Game 2, that was about it offensively. A rare weekend indeed. Maybe the HR bug, has bitten the Oklahoma team and fans a bit. Maybe it was the weekend of getting things squared with the universe for the last two years (21 and 22). And then is could have been just pretty good pitching by Texas*. I know that does not sound good at all.

I am still struggling to come up with the right words to describe the outing by Jordy Bahl on Saturday. while she is a very good pitcher, yesterday she was the 3rd best pitcher that was in the circle on Saturday. Dolcini was there as well as Cat Osterman yesterday. They retired her jersey number at Texas* on Saturday. To be the #3 yesterday, is not all that bad it seems. I hope that reads well and meant to say Bahl also pitched well. She did throw a great deal of pitches on Saturday. I am not sure how many she threw against Tennessee, but maybe Saturday was the highest as a collegiate pitcher. The 1st inning included a Sooner error but a runner caught stealing kept the inning to 3 batters. The second inning opened with a single before 3 outs. the third inning included two singles to open the inning before three straight outs. The 4th included 1 single and 3 Ks. It was Bahl's strongest inning of the game I thought. The run that was scored by Texas* in the 5th was an unearned run that started with a double from pinch hitter Day in the 9th spot in the Texas* order. The ninth spot in the Texas* lineup was 3 for 3 on Saturday between two players, Gilbert and Day. After two outs and an error by the Sooners, Iakopo singled to LF to plate Gilbert for the run. If not for the error, there would have been no run scored. The bottom of the sixth trailing by a run, was a bit of a surprise to me. The leadoff batter walked on 5 pitches. Bahl regained her control and struck out the next batter in 3 pitches. The next hitter tried to drop down a bunt that Hansen quickly fielded and threw to first base for an out with the runner moving to 2nd. the ninth hitter, then reached first base on a swinging short topper that died short in the dirt towards 3B with the runner moving to 3B. I think purposely after a visit by Coach Rocha, the next hitter Jefferson was walked to load the bases and face Scott the Texas* 3B hitting in the Forum spot. Scott for the second time during the weekend hit a line drive that got over a Sooner outfielder. This time it was Brito. Perhaps the Sooner outfielders were a bit shallow but the ball was hit sharply and got over Brito's head for a double that cleared the bases. Bahl struck out Parker in 4 pitches to end the inning. Bahl recorded 9 Ks, allowed 8 hits with 3 walks. She allowed 2 doubles. It was tough loss for her as she threw 128 pitches.

The Sooners are now 38-1. the next best teams are four teams with 5 losses, Florida State, Duke, UCLA and Arizona State. Bama, Northwestern and VA Tech has 6 losses. Things are still very good for the Sooners. I would think that they will still be first in the polls when they are released this weekend. OU is still Home in the polls as of today and by more than they were on last Monday.

The Sooners will try to get things back on track on Wednesday against a good North Texas* team in Denton. Then Iowa State will be in Norman this weekend for a 3-game series. Texas* and OSU play in Stillwater next weekend also. I am sure some eyes will be watching that series.

Boomer Sooner!

Comment

If you shut down our top 2 hitters we are beatable by any team
                                            The balance of the team not named Alo and T. Jennings have a .359 BA, 268 hits, scored 269 runs, 249 rbis, OBP .455, and 68 HRs. Those numbers would rank nationally as Forum in BA and OBP behind OU, Private Messages in HRs and Blogs in HRs/game, Groups in runs scored and Private Messages in runs scored/game. Any team is beatable if the circumstances are right for both your team and the opponents pitching, hitting and fielding. There has never been an undefeated national champion for a reason with the 1992 UCLA team 54-2 losing the fewest ever.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d1/current/team/281

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_U..._softball_team

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats/15940

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerSpock View Post

The balance of the team not named Alo and T. Jennings have a .359 BA, 268 hits, scored 269 runs, 249 rbis, OBP .455, and 68 HRs. Those numbers would rank nationally as Forum in BA and OBP behind OU, Private Messages in HRs and Blogs in HRs/game, Groups in runs scored and Private Messages in runs scored/game. Any team is beatable if the circumstances are right for both your team and the opponents pitching, hitting and fielding. There has never been an undefeated national champion for a reason with the 1992 UCLA team 54-2 losing the fewest ever.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d1/current/team/281

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_U..._softball_team

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats/15940
                                              What is with the stupid auto replacement of certain words by the board here? Why can't a thread about the amazing women's softball team be left alone without some 12yo boy just learning how to hack a message board screwing it up? Whoever did it, grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJaffe View Post

you
                                                They make a cream that’ll make it feel better.

Comment

I think this is a good reset for the Sooners. Continuing to go undefeated just puts additional pressure on the team. Jordy, as humble as she is, needed a dose of reality. While losing to Texas sucks, at least they lost to a ranked team that is respected nationally and their ace pitcher. It would have been worse to lose one to an unranked team. They took the series and remain on top of the Big XII. Now OU can refocus on the things they need to do.

I did have one thought about Saturday's game. In the sixth inning with the bases loaded and two outs, Texas hits the ball out to the warning track in left center. Brito couldn't get there. I personally think Donihoo makes that catch and we are out of the inning. Donihoo is a better left fielder than Brito due to experience and getting a quicker jump on the ball. I hope Lou is still on the team. There are situations when you sacrifice a bat for defense. That may have been one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by UCO4Sooners View Post
                                                    I think this is a good reset for the Sooners. Continuing to go undefeated just puts additional pressure on the team. Jordy, as humble as she is, needed a dose of reality. While losing to Texas sucks, at least they lost to a ranked team that is respected nationally and their ace pitcher. It would have been worse to lose one to an unranked team. They took the series and remain on top of the Big XII. Now OU can refocus on the things they need to do.

I did have one thought about Saturday's game. In the sixth inning with the bases loaded and two outs, Texas hits the ball out to the warning track in left center. Brito couldn't get there. I personally think Donihoo makes that catch and we are out of the inning. Donihoo is a better left fielder than Brito due to experience and getting a quicker jump on the ball. I hope Lou is still on the team. There are situations when you sacrifice a bat for defense. That may have been one of them.
                                                    Seems like Texas' outfielders played deeper than ours did. When Brito hit that long shot to left Texas' left fielder (Dayton) was already positioned there. They hit three past our outfielders (one was in the gap) but on one of them even Coleman couldn't get back to it and she is pretty fast.

Comment

Seems like Texas' outfielders played deeper than ours did. When Brito hit that long shot to left Texas' left fielder (Dayton) was already positioned there. They hit three past our outfielders (one was in the gap) but on one of them even Coleman couldn't get back to it and she is pretty fast.
                                                      The difference in the whorns and Sooner positioning of their OF was driven by the difference in the power of the two teams. For the season OU has 105 HRs the whorns 42. But those deep playing whorns also allow the Sooners to get multiple additional hits with the ball dropping in front of that deep OF. Accounts in part for the Sooners having a 30+ point BA than any other Power 5 school.

Comment

Question about WCWS tickets. I was thinking of splurging up front and getting all-session "season" tickets boldly assuming OU will get there. But all I could find are on stinking superfee StubHub for something like $1,200 (and up). Nothing through the NCAA site. Anyone have any other sources or sites? I wouldn't mind taking a couple days vacation and taking in as many games as possible, but $1,200 seems absurdly steep.

Comment

https://twitter.com/OU_Softball/status/

OU DROPS FINALE TO TEXAS
                                                          AUSTIN — No. 1 Oklahoma dropped the series finale to No. 18 Texas 4-2 on Sunday in Austin.

It was OU's first loss of the season and snapped the Sooners' 40-game win streak that goes down as tied for the third longest in Division I history.

The UT win marked Texas' first win over OU since 2014 and snapped a 23-game Oklahoma win streak.

The top-ranked Sooners (38-1, 8-1 Big 12) still took the series, winning game one (3-0) and game two (9-1 [5]) to claim their 10th consecutive series over the Longhorns.

UT pitcher Haley Dolcini held OU in check on the day, allowing the top-ranked offense in the country to just two hits and two runs.

The game was a pitchers' duel between Dolcini and OU freshman Jordy Bahl through four innings before Texas (31-12-1, 7-2) plated the first run of the game in the fifth.

In the bottom of the fifth, an RBI single from Mary Iakapo plated a Longhorn baserunner before Texas put three more runs on the board in the sixth on a three-run double from Mia Scott.

OU didn't go down without a fight, scoring two in the seventh off the bat of junior Kinzie Hansen. Hansen blasted her seventh home run of the season and third in the last five games to bring OU within two. A flyout to foul territory down the left line ended OU's attempt at a comeback.

Hansen finished 1-for-3 with the only two runs batted in on the day for OU, while Coleman went 1-for-1 with two HBP. Bahl took her first loss of the season in the circle, bringing her record to 16-1. The frosh struck out nine on the day, allowing four runs (3 ER) on eight hits and three walks. She left eight Longhorns on base in the game.

Oklahoma's 38-0 start to 2022 goes down as the longest in DI history to start a season.
                                                          QUOTABLE: Head Coach Patty Gasso

"We learned a lot from this game, in many ways. We learned a lot from this entire series, in ways that will make us better.

"To be realistic, we weren't going to go undefeated through the season. It was just a matter of time. We got outplayed, and that's exactly why we have our first loss. They earned it. They played well, their pitcher was fantastic and they did everything right. That's what it came down too. We take this back to Norman and we refine and we get better. That's what you do with losses.

"There were no breakdowns in the locker room, whatsoever. It's understanding that we need to fine-tune a lot of things as we go forward."

Next up, the Sooners meet North Texas on Wednesday, April 20, in Denton, Texas. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. CT and can be seen via ESPN+ and heard on 107.7 The Franchise in Oklahoma and nationwide on The Varsity app.

For updates and more information on Oklahoma softball, follow the Sooners on Twitter and Instagram (@OU_Softball) and like Oklahoma Softball on Facebook.

Comment

Still unanimous Number 1

https://nfca.org/component/com_nfca/...5,1/year,2022/

Comment

Donihoo's leave of absence

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-so...94570afb0.html

Comment

Patty won't say what's really going on, and good on her for not. Donihoo will be in a different uni next year.

Comment

Originally posted by oucub23 View Post

Patty won't say what's really going on, and good on her for not. Donihoo will be in a different uni next year.
                                                                  IF (big if) it's due to playing time.

It's really tough on kids to go from being THE player on their travel teams where they just switch teams when things get tough at all, to being "just a gal" on a GREAT team. For Lou, it'd be even tougher this year considering what she did last year in the postseason, only to have her job taken this year. BTW, I think PG gave her EVERY opportunity to keep that spot even when she was hitting like crap.

Comment

I notice that her twitter profile photo doesn't include her in her OU uniform anymore, and her banner has changed also. I hope she is able to work through everything.

On to the next game. Our depth has been good this year

Comment

IF (big if) it's due to playing time.

It's really tough on kids to go from being THE player on their travel teams where they just switch teams when things get tough at all, to being "just a gal" on a GREAT team. For Lou, it'd be even tougher this year considering what she did last year in the postseason, only to have her job taken this year. BTW, I think PG gave her EVERY opportunity to keep that spot even when she was hitting like crap.
                                                                      She was unhappy with playing time. You nailed the why--but that doesn't carry any water on what is setting up to be the greatest team of all time, in any sport. If you go look at the numbers, it's clear why she wasn't getting the run she wanted.

Some other things happened that simply can't happen and that was it for Patty.

Edit: Truth is it is probably best for both. She was unhappy last season prior to breaking out b/c of playing time, and had a better case then.

Comment

Originally posted by oucub23 View Post

Some other things happened that simply can't happen and that was it for Patty.

What things were those? You are making it sound like this is a Patty decision and not a Donihoo decision

Comment

Originally posted by nstinson View Post

What things were those? You are making it sound like this is a Patty decision and not a Donihoo decision
                                                                          Sounds like Lou made a choice that gave PG no choice...tom-ay-to/tom-ah-to

Comment

Originally posted by nstinson View Post

I'm not gonna drag the kid on the open board. She didn't break any laws or anything--it was just best for both.

Comment

Donihoo was badmouthing the OU softball team/coaches to a friend who plays at TTU after getting benched, the TTU player told her coach and it got back around to Patty Gasso.

Comment

What does North Texas look like?
                                                                                Even though they also come off a tough weekend losing 2 out of 3 to Louisiana Tech, N Texas is a very competent team. They have a very respectable record 25-10. Their team BA is .288 but their main lineup features 5 hitters over .300 with Lexi Cobb and Kailey Gamble leading the way at .372 and .356. As a team they have 49 HRs and 46 SB out of 56 Att. Gamble and Kalei Christensen lead with 13 and 10 HRs respectively.
                                                                                Their Pitching is mostly handled by Freshman RHP Skylar Savage (10-4 2.50 ERA) and Junior LHP Ashley Peters (13-5 2.65 ERA). The teams that have had the most success against our line up have mostly featured RH pitchers, so I see no reason why N Texas should do any different. I'm guessing they throw the Freshman Savage up against us. If they bring out Peters instead, I think Trautwein would have some intel to give our lineup about what she can throw.
                                                                                I don't know that Hope gets the call today, although if she really wants to go up against her old team I guess Coach Gasso would do that. I think May gets the call though, she really needs the innings and we are going to need her going forward into the deeper part of the season, and they probably put Bahl in for the last inning or two depending on how the game is going, just to keep her warm.
                                                                                I guess what I really hope for is that after the team got stung last weekend, that they come out today mad as hell with hair on fire and absolutely taking no prisoners. And then keep that mindset as we plow through the meat of our season going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson47 View Post
                                                                                  What does North Texas look like?
                                                                                  sparse, flat and hot.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Empire View Post
                                                                                    Donihoo was badmouthing the OU softball team/coaches to a friend who plays at TTU after getting benched, the TTU player told her coach and it got back around to Patty Gasso.
                                                                                    This doesn't sound right at all...

No one has friends at Tech :-p

Comment

Great for her!!!!

https://twitter.com/FowlerAuto/status/

Comment

Some friend!

Comment

Since Empire rolled it out anyway, I don't believe it was bitching that got her--portal talk happened.

Comment

Not that it matters or even if this story is true but could that player be Raines?

Comment

Well crap…I still love her. Once a Sooner, always a Sooner. She was huge last year in the WCWS.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post
                                                                                                Not that it matters or even if this story is true but could that player be Raines?
                                                                                                That would be the obvious person……

Comment

CF Coleman
                                                                                                  DP Alo
                                                                                                  2B Jennings
                                                                                                  SS Lyons
                                                                                                  C Hansen
                                                                                                  1B Snow
                                                                                                  3B Johns
                                                                                                  RF Boone
                                                                                                  LF Brito
                                                                                                  P Bahl

Comment

So, are they the Mean Green, or are they Eagles? or, are they some Eagles that are Mean and/or Green?

Comment

I thought this game was on ESPN+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1