Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, today proved what I feared most: You cannot put May in a critical situation. The defense did EVERYTHING to get her out of that eighth inning, but she couldn't throw *one* strike to the nine-hole hitter. No, the offense didn't help, but the pitching really failed today.

Comment

May hasn’t been the same since the UCLA game in the WCWS

Comment

If bahl is hurt, we aren’t going to win it all. Even the greatest offense has off days. Great pitching usually wins out in the end. We don’t have it without bahl.

Comment

And, to.be fair, the offense DID start being more selective against Maxwell and hit her, but went back to impatience at the plate with May. Wonder if sometimes we mentally become too reliant on Alo.

Even Gasso said earlier they were too impatient at the plate.

Frustrating day.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerDave View Post
            And, to.be fair, the offense DID start being more selective against Maxwell and hit her, but went back to impatience at the plate with May. Wonder if sometimes we mentally become too reliant on Alo.

Frustrating day.
            Well, this casual fan thinks that watching the first pitch go right down the middle for a strike isn't really helping. I mean, if we can't make good contact on that, being more "patient" isn't the answer but maybe getting some glasses or contacts and/or more batting practice is. I think the impatient line from coach really means we just aren't making good contact. If they'd been hits she wouldn't be complaining.

Comment

Unfortunately, today proved what I feared most: You cannot put May in a critical situation. The defense did EVERYTHING to get her out of that eighth inning, but she couldn't throw *one* strike to the nine-hole hitter. No, the offense didn't help, but the pitching really failed today.
              Maybe so but with the exception of one Game against Kansas this offense has not done much.You could argue that OSU beat themselves two out of the three games in Norman.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post
                Maybe so but with the exception of one Game against Kansas this offense has not done much.You could argue that OSU beat themselves two out of the three games in Norman.
                We wouldn't have won it last year without excellent pitching from G, and that was with the greatest offense the sport has ever seen.

This championship rests on Jordy's arm.

Comment

since those of us watching on TV missed most of the top of the eighth I was wondering did May come out at the beginning of that inning or did Hope start the inning and get pulled. And if she got pulled when did it happen?

Anybody know? On TV they got back to the game right for the force at home. May was in then.
                  Last edited by Ruprecht; 05-14-2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

My guess. If Jordy is done for the year, this team doesn't make it out of supers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
                      since those of us watching on TV missed most of the top of the eighth I was wondering did May come out at the beginning of that inning or did Hope start the inning and get pulled. And if she got pulled when did it happen?

Anybody know. On TV they got back to the game right for the force at home. May was in then.
                      Hope started the inning May came in relief. I thought she pitched well. On the batter that was walked in she didn’t get two border line pitches. Those pitches get called and we might still be playing.

Comment

Anybody know. On TV they got back to the game right for the force at home. May was in then.
                        May came in with bases loaded, no outs.

Got a fly out to LF and a fielders choice at home. Then proceed to walk the 9 hole .233 hitter on four straight pitches to plate the winning run. Words can't explain it.

This team is going to be interesting ot watch if Jordy is done. Hope is good, may is a mess, McAdoo... well. There is no number 2 or #3 if Jordy is out.

Comment

Hate to say it but if they have to rely so much on a true frosh they weren’t as good anyways. Pitching staff overall has been the weakest link for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner in SoCal View Post
                            My guess. If Jordy is done for the year, this team doesn't make it out of supers.
                            Dont agree. G was average until a hell of a run in the tourney last year. May could find it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoopaSooner View Post
                              Hate to say it but if they have to rely so much on a true frosh they weren’t as good anyways. Pitching staff overall has been the weakest link for awhile.
                              This is a terrible take. Pitching has dominated all year. 3 w less than 1 ERAS. Do you even watch the games?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ern View Post

Dont agree. G was average until a hell of a run in the tourney last year. May could find it.
                                She was coming off surgery and got better with recovery and put together a herculian effort against FSU. Helps that FSU wasn't a great hitting team as well. G snubbed them.

May is light years away from a healthy G. May has never been THE pitcher for the staff here. G was at UofA before coming to OU. May doesn't throw anywhere near what G threw. G's stuff, when healthy, was wicked.

May will show up and throw a game like she did against UW or UCLA and then it's back to the 2 in a row, 4 ball walk control issues.
                                Last edited by Sooner in SoCal; 05-14-2022, 05:13 PM.

Comment

This is a terrible take. Pitching has dominated all year. 3 w less than 1 ERAS. Do you even watch the games?
                                  Bahl has dominated the good teams. Business is about to pick up though.

Comment

Originally posted by SoopaSooner View Post

Bahl has dominated the good teams. Business is about to pick up though.
                                    Reality is we have not played many good teams. This conference does not contribute to the iron sharpens iron mind set.

Comment

No more Starts for May?

Comment

Aside from the disappointment of today, there's one thing to keep in mind. Teams take on the attitude of their coach, and in the pregame interview Gasso said-withoiut-saying that *this game was expendible*. She said "we want to win a national championship" and that motivated the extra concern for Bahl not to play her. The team reflected that today - there was as little dugout energy from the team as I've seen all season.

May was bad, the offense was bad, and Day for OSU was on the top of her game. We just have to shake it off and get ready for regionals and super.

Comment

Frustrating day.
                                          impatient, yet we let first pitch strikes go right down the middle more often than not

Comment

Gasso intentionally tanked the championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Socalisooner View Post
                                              No, not suggesting that, but it was clear to me she didn't have great emphasis on winning this particular game. If they had, great, but it didn't change their ultimate goal.

Comment

I can't speak for SoonerDave, but I didn't take his comments that way at all. With Jordy presenting soreness, she wasn't going to be used, and win or lose, this game would give Patty a look at what to expect from the pitching staff going forward. Hopefully, a long rest will repair any damage Jordy is dealing with. I do agree that this wasn't a very good performance offensively or defensively, but hopefully now we can reset and build on what we learn from this game and May and Trautwein can do that as well. Hope just came off a game yesterday where she pitched exceptionally well against a team that also beat OSU. Coach now has more information on how to plan for regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson47 View Post

I can't speak for SoonerDave, but I didn't take his comments that way at all. With Jordy presenting soreness, she wasn't going to be used, and win or lose, this game would give Patty a look at what to expect from the pitching staff going forward. Hopefully, a long rest will repair any damage Jordy is dealing with. I do agree that this wasn't a very good performance offensively or defensively, but hopefully now we can reset and build on what we learn from this game and May and Trautwein can do that as well. Hope just came off a game yesterday where she pitched exceptionally well against a team that also beat OSU. Coach now has more information on how to plan for regionals.
                                                  You nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nstinson View Post

impatient, yet we let first pitch strikes go right down the middle more often than not
                                                    They do this wayyyy too much

Comment

Also I don’t know when Gasso knew Bahl was out, but I have to assume it was early in the week. I’m curious as to why she didn’t let May throw against ISU and then have Hope start today. Ultimately though 3 runs in 8 innings is shit and this loss is about 65% on the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJaffe View Post
                                                        Also I don’t know when Gasso knew Bahl was out, but I have to assume it was early in the week. I’m curious as to why she didn’t let May throw against ISU and then have Hope start today. Ultimately though 3 runs in 8 innings is shit and this loss is about 65% on the offense.
                                                        While I still think May's four-pitch walk to the nine-hole hitter is inexcusable, the offense bears a lot of the responsibility for that third inning when they got to Maxwell - after they scored the two runs, they had runners at 2nd and 3rd, and a base hit would likely have scored two more and put the score at 4-0. You don't think the tenor of that game is different if we're up that much? But we don't score, strand the runners, and the rest is history.

Comment

While I still think May's four-pitch walk to the nine-hole hitter is inexcusable, the offense bears a lot of the responsibility for that third inning when they got to Maxwell - after they scored the two runs, they had runners at 2nd and 3rd, and a base hit would likely have scored two more and put the score at 4-0. You don't think the tenor of that game is different if we're up that much? But we don't score, strand the runners, and the rest is history.
                                                          Lead off hitter in the seventh gets on and we don’t score! Patty has even said this might be our best offensive team. We are not living up to expectations!

Comment

The heart of our order, the 3-4-5 hitters, went 0 for 12. That was primary reason we scored only 3 runs in 8 innings.

Comment

All part of Patty's plan. Except for pride this game was meaningless. I see a strategy in how she approached this. Wouldn't be surprised if Jordy's "soreness" is way overstated.

Comment

Hope so. Bc the aura of invincibility is gone. 49-2 is still better than we've started ever.

Comment

Comment

Hope so. Bc the aura of invincibility is gone. 49-2 is still better than we've started ever.
                                                                    Yes, they are mortal against really good pitchers. And it's clear that the pitching isn't going to just mow everybody down in every game from here on out. I think the idea that they are going to waltz through a WCWS field can be tossed in the trash.

Comment

Yes, they are mortal against really good pitchers. And it's clear that the pitching isn't going to just mow everybody down in every game from here on out. I think the idea that they are going to waltz through a WCWS field can be tossed in the trash.
                                                                      But let's be sure we realize that Maxwell and Day are as good as any 1-2 pitching combo in the country. If they get Elish back they could definitely make it back to OKC. Fouts at Bama has been mortal this year, and I'm not sure there are quite as many truly dominant pitchers this year as there have been in others.

​​​​​​For OU, life is pretty simple; We have to get Bahl back. If she's truly dealing only with soreness and will be back for the regional, we will have a perfectly legit shot to win it all. If she's actually *injured* and may not be available, we *might* win a regional, but getting past that will be iffy, and winning the WCWS all but impossible. There are too many really good offensive teams, such as VA Tech and Arkansas, who would lick their chops against someone as volatile as May or Trautwein when she's not sharp - and we've seen instances of her dominating and struggling in back-to-back appearances.

Since OU is back on the betting boards for the softball title, I suspect someone in Vegas has heard Bahl will be back. Let's hope so (no pun intended).

Comment

But let's be sure we realize that Maxwell and Day are as good as any 1-2 pitching combo in the country. If they get Elish back they could definitely make it back to OKC. Fouts at Bama has been mortal this year, and I'm not sure there are quite as many truly dominant pitchers this year as there have been in others.

​​​​​​For OU, life is pretty simple; We have to get Bahl back. If she's truly dealing only with soreness and will be back for the regional, we will have a perfectly legit shot to win it all. If she's actually *injured* and may not be available, we *might* win a regional, but getting past that will be iffy, and winning the WCWS all but impossible. There are too many really good offensive teams, such as VA Tech and Arkansas, who would lick their chops against someone as volatile as May or Trautwein when she's not sharp - and we've seen instances of her dominating and struggling in back-to-back appearances.

Since OU is back on the betting boards for the softball title, I suspect someone in Vegas has heard Bahl will be back. Let's hope so (no pun intended).
                                                                        That is the one good thing about the Big XII is that the teams aren't that good but some of the pitchers are. I think we have faced four or five that are really good. But I the fact of the matter is that just about every team that actually gets to OKC is going to have a pretty salty ace.

Comment

It’s been killing you…with only 2 losses this season you’ve been unable to post anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post

Lead off hitter in the seventh gets on and we don’t score! Patty has even said this might be our best offensive team. We are not living up to expectations!
                                                                            Like I've said before, this is the only thing I really take exception with PG on. Leadoff on and you don't bunt her over. I realize Jennings is a great hitter, but I just like moving her over in that situation. You only need one run. Hard to argue with her success, but not trusting the small game in late innings is one place I just have a different philosophy. Jennings was struggling at the plate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

It’s been killing you…with only 2 losses this season you’ve been unable to post anything.
                                                                              They’ve been looking about like ou football 2003. Talk of best ever and then won nothing….

Comment

They’ve been looking about like ou football 2003. Talk of best ever and then won nothing….
                                                                                Honest questions:

1. Since you do nothing here other than crap on OU, why do you bother coming here when you obviously hate OU so much?
                                                                                2. Since he does nothing here other than crap on OU, why don't the admins just ban him?

Comment

Bracketology: I saw one that had us at 1, OSU at 8, and Texas at 16. That would project OU vs Texas in the super regional and OU vs. OSU in our 1st game of the World Series. While I'm confident we can beat them, I find it much more interesting to play teams outside our own conference. So I hope it lays out differently. I do think OSU will be a top 8 seed though. I hope they give Texas the middle finger with a 17 or lower seed.
                                                                                  Last edited by NoCalSooner; 05-15-2022, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCalSooner View Post
                                                                                    Bracketology: I saw one that had us at 1, OSU at 8, and Texas at 16. That would project OU vs Texas in the super regional and OU vs. OSU in our 1st game of the World Series. While I'm confident we can beat them, I find it much more interesting to play teams outside our own conference. So I hope it lays out differently. I do think OSU will to a top 8 seed though. I hope they give Texas the middle finger with a 17 or lower seed.
                                                                                    I don't think the committee would seed Texas at 16 because they generally *try* to avoid interconference rematches unless it's at the WCWS. Texas is clearly a bubble team for a regional. OSU at 8? Again, I have a tough time seeing them seed us into *two* conference rematches in a row. Maybe at the WCWS, but less likely at a super.

Comment

2. Since he does nothing here other than crap on OU, why don't the admins just ban him?
                                                                                      We've asked for 5+ years now. He must have dirt on mods

Comment

Your small dick energy can’t help it. All you do is talk shit on OU. Did somebody from OU fuck your wife?

What a small, little man you are.

Comment

He donates money to the board so he gets a free pass to troll. Just ignore him, he's been spouting the same shit for over a decade across multiple boards.

Comment

Time to rock and roll.

Comment

Prairie View A&M
                                                                                              Minnesota
                                                                                              Texas A&M

In our regional.

Comment

Originally posted by FS250 View Post
                                                                                                Prairie View A&M
                                                                                                Minnesota
                                                                                                Texas A&M

In our regional.
                                                                                                Man one of the bracketology sites nailed our regional perfectly.

Comment

potential UCLA vs Arkansas in first round World Series game, with the winner potentially playing the Sooners in 2nd round.

Comment

Pokes got the 7th seed.

Fordham
                                                                                                    North Texas
                                                                                                    Nebraska

Comment

Originally posted by NoCalSooner View Post
                                                                                                      potential UCLA vs Arkansas in first round World Series game, with the winner potentially playing the Sooners in 2nd round.
                                                                                                      Arkansas has an interesting regional with Oregon and Wichita State.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1