X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TaimenHuchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Me And My Butt View Post

I’m way too old to understand that lingo….but I clicked like anyways….for whatever it means.
    Seems to mean Let's quit talking about the Cale Gundy ugly situation and instead let's glorify our wonderful success in softball.

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied
    Originally posted by CalSOONER View Post

Non-Cale rap version:

Ain't no one gots bats like the OU women
    Droppin' more bombs than the Air Corps on Bremen ...
    I’m way too old to understand that lingo….but I clicked like anyways….for whatever it means.

Leave a comment:

• CalSOONER
    replied
    I know we’re supposed to move on to the 2023 thread….but this belongs here:

Non-Cale rap version:

Ain't no one gots bats like the OU women
    Droppin' more bombs than the Air Corps on Bremen ...

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied
    I know we’re supposed to move on to the 2023 thread….but this belongs here:

Leave a comment:

• SportyJames
    replied
    Originally posted by NoCalSooner View Post
    Over 200 comments for your inspection ....

My house.

Leave a comment:

• NoCalSooner
    replied
    Over 200 comments for your inspection ....

Leave a comment:

• blackfrancois
    replied
    espnu is showing the OU postseason for 12+ hours all day.
    (monday, aug 1).

Leave a comment:

• nstinson
    replied
    Originally posted by TaimenHuchen View Post

I joined. What do you do to see any discussions?
    Sorry. Just saw this. Did you figure it out? Message me on Discord with questions: nstinson#7368

Leave a comment:

• 61Sooner
    replied
    USA beats Japan 3-2 to win Worlds, Believe Kinzie Hansen started every game as DP. Congrats to Kinzie on her gold medal.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    Originally posted by ByngSooner View Post
    I have kept a tab open for this thread since Feb. or before. If a 22-23 thread begins, will someone post a heads up here so I can swap out? I rarely post, but appreciate all most of the posters keeping us informed of articles, recruiting, etc.
    New thread has been started---go to here for the new one:

6-time champs OU softball Fall 2022 & Spring 2023 - DirtBurglars

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied

Arky has been quickly improving and are now a consistently ranked team. If I had to guess, it would be of course partially coaching, fairly near proximity to OKC, and possibly NIL at work. NW AR has lots of wealthy people. (Walmart HQ)
    Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt, Dillards, Murphy…are the 5 family based Arkansas Fortune 500 companies I know of.

Leave a comment:

• TaimenHuchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Crimson47 View Post

Oh that's fine with me too.....I was just hoping to keep her out of our back yard....e.g. OSU and TX.....
    Arky has been quickly improving and are now a consistently ranked team. If I had to guess, it would be of course partially coaching, fairly near proximity to OKC, and possibly NIL at work. NW AR has lots of wealthy people. (Walmart HQ)

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied

Why would you want a top talent to go to Arky? I would prefer Marist, or Bowling Green.
    Oh that's fine with me too.....I was just hoping to keep her out of our back yard....e.g. OSU and TX.....

Leave a comment:

• TaimenHuchen
    replied

Personally, I think we are set as far as any further additions are concerned. Patty doesn't particularly "need" anyone else--we have plenty at all positions and we need to start developing our young players or we will start to lose them (see Turiya Coleman).
    Haley Lee is still out there to be taken, and I believe she did visit OU sometime I think.....but we really don't need her. She would be a better fit for Arky.
    Why would you want a top talent to go to Arky? I would prefer Marist, or Bowling Green.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    Vote for Kierston Deal and Jocelyn Erickson for Natl High School POY---
    Let get this done!!
    Boomer Sooner!!

Vote now: Who was the national high school softball player of the year in 2021-22? - Scorebook Live

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    Originally posted by blacktop View Post
    Does anyone have a feel if we are still on the hunt for portal transfers or is Patty happy with what she has? And yea, I would think (hope) that there would be something made to alleviate those black and blues on Kinzie. Damn.
    Personally, I think we are set as far as any further additions are concerned. Patty doesn't particularly "need" anyone else--we have plenty at all positions and we need to start developing our young players or we will start to lose them (see Turiya Coleman).
    Haley Lee is still out there to be taken, and I believe she did visit OU sometime I think.....but we really don't need her. She would be a better fit for Arky.

Leave a comment:

• blacktop
    replied
    Does anyone have a feel if we are still on the hunt for portal transfers or is Patty happy with what she has? And yea, I would think (hope) that there would be something made to alleviate those black and blues on Kinzie. Damn.

Leave a comment:

• UCO4Sooners
    replied
    I would imaging that Hansen's bruising is from blocking balls in the dirt not foul tips. She is in competition for a starting role and is probably trying harder not to let any pass balls.

On another note, I played catcher for a long while myself. I went to Chandler Baseball Camp that was run by ex major leaguers Bo and Tom Belcher. At age 8, those that wanted to play catcher got broke in quickly. They would take us out to a cement pad that had a cement wall behind it and give you a cup, mask and glove. No pads, no catcher's helmet. They threw balls at you in every direction, bouncing them in, etc. You had to catch them or block them. If you didn't stop it, it would hit the wall and come back and nail you in the back or back of your head. Those hurt worse than the ones you took head on. The first day was bad enough but by the 3rd day, we looked like Hansen but covered all over in bruises. The ones that made it past the 3rd day without giving up were given their pads. It sounds cruel but once you did it without pads, you had absolutely no fear when they gave you the pads.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    Be sure to vote for our two incoming Freshmen, Jocelyn Erickson and Kierston Deal.

https://news.scorebooklive.com/national ... in-2021-22

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    didn't know....but makes a lotta sense.
    Thanks for the education.

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied
    Originally posted by SportyJames View Post
    Do girls wear something similar to a men's cup?
    The female version is call a pelvic protector…held in place by a Jill strap (that’s a real name for it)

They are mandatory is most little leagues. I assume they continue to use them through college ball.

It’s more of a plate than a cup…if we’re comparing it to dinner ware.

Leave a comment:

• SportyJames
    replied
    Do girls wear something similar to a men's cup?

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied

Here's the response from a poster in another forum that replied to another poster asking if she got hit by a Mack Truck---

"The leg bruises from foul balls were war wounds that a catcher endures every season. For a catcher they are like medals or awards. You wear them proudly even though a catcher feels them every time they take a step or get down behind plate.

In Hansen's case, I would bet the Mack Truck came away damaged also."
    I caught for a couple of years junior high baseball. Pads covered everything except the top of thighs/inner thighs. I never once got a bruise on my legs like that. I was catching simple curves and fastballs….so seemed like foul balls that were just barely tipped we’re the ones that would hit me. They all either went below the thigh area (where my mitt usually was) or went up above the thigh area into my face or chest.

I guess with softball trajectories and with pitches located here/there/all over the zone on purpose, that opens at things up for more tipped balls coming at the thighs?

Never realized they ensured that much bruising in softball because we didn’t in my baseball days….my pads covered everything that was prone to getting hit…and my throwing hand was behind my butt (took one hit on the throwing hand to learn to keep it hidden)

It seems like thigh pads would be a good thing as long as they didn’t limit mobility.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied

Wtf, pretty nasty bruising. What’s that about? She get trucked at the plate? Or having clotting issues?
    Here's the response from a poster in another forum that replied to another poster asking if she got hit by a Mack Truck---

"The leg bruises from foul balls were war wounds that a catcher endures every season. For a catcher they are like medals or awards. You wear them proudly even though a catcher feels them every time they take a step or get down behind plate.

In Hansen's case, I would bet the Mack Truck came away damaged also."

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied
    Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post

Who is that stud next to her?

Megan Faraimo. UCLA
    Note to self: If I ever meet Megan Faraimo, do not pick a fight.

The resulting video might be as embarrassing as a certain football placeholder picking a fight with a wrestler in a bar bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• 61Sooner
    replied
    Have looked online but can't find what kind of salary Jocelyn received signed with the new softball league? Anybody know?

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied
    Originally posted by ByngSooner View Post
    I have kept a tab open for this thread since Feb. or before. If a 22-23 thread begins, will someone post a heads up here so I can swap out? I rarely post, but appreciate all most of the posters keeping us informed of articles, recruiting, etc.
    Someone will likely start a new thread when fall softball begin…..so in a few months….or Sooner if someone gets zealous.

What you don’t want is to be the thread starter…because you notifications every time someone makes a post. If you want that, the subscribe button provides that (but you can always unsubscribe to a thread…as the thread starter there’s no OU from all the notifications).

Leave a comment:

• ByngSooner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SportyJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Soonershocker1 View Post

Megan Faraimo. UCLA

Leave a comment:

• Soonershocker1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SoonernVolved
    replied
    https://twitter.com/johnehoover/status/

Oklahoma Announces Transfer of Freshman Phenom Cydney Sanders

Sanders announced her decision last week on social media, and Wednesday her transfer was made official as Patty Gasso called her "a great fit."
    Oklahoma went 59-3 last year and won its second straight national championship.

Did the Sooners just get even better?

All-American Cydney Sanders, a first baseman this past season at Arizona State, has officially signed to play for Patty Gasso and the Sooners. She announced the transfer three days ago via social media.

“I think every coach in the country was picking up their phone when they saw Cydney’s name in the portal,” Gasso said in an OU press release. “She was a perfect fit for our needs with some of the power we lost from our outgoing senior class.

“She put up tremendous numbers her freshman season leading to her being named a first-team All-American. She’ll come into this program and easily pick up some of what we lost, but be able to make her own path. She’s a great fit and we’re very excited about her future as a Sooner.”

OU graduated former transfer Taylon Snow from her post at first base, as well as backup first baseman (and backup catcher) Lynnsie Elam.

Sanders, a product of San Marcos, CA, was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and was a finalist for the 2022 NFCA Division I National Freshman of the Year that went to OU pitcher Jordy Bahl. Sanders posted a .984 fielding percentage.

Sanders started all 54 games for ASU as a freshman in 2022 and led the Sun Devils in home runs (21), RBIs (63), slugging percentage (.952), walks (45) and total bases (139). Her 21 home runs broke an Arizona State single-season record and ranked 12th nationally while her slugging percentage ranked third and her on-base percentage fifth. Sanders’ .425 batting average ranked in the top 25 nationally.

“I chose Oklahoma to live out my dream of competing at the Women’s College World Series,” Sanders said in the press release. “I’m looking forward to playing at the highest level with the top players in softball.”

Sanders will have three years of eligibility in Norman and joins ASU teammate Alynah Torres and Michigan pitcher Alex Storako as vital transfer additions for OU in 2023.

Leave a comment:

• SoonernVolved
    replied
    https://twitter.com/OU_Softball/status/

SoftballJuly 11, 2022SOONERS ADD ALL-AMERICAN SANDERS

NORMAN — Oklahoma head softball coach Patty Gasso announced Monday the addition of All-American transfer Cydney Sanders from Arizona State.

Sanders, an NFCA First Team All-American and All-Pac 12 First Team honoree, started all 54 games for ASU as a freshman in 2022 and led the Sun Devils in home runs (21), RBIs (63), slugging (.952), walks (45) and total bases (139). Her 21 home runs broke an Arizona State single-season record and ranked 12th in the country while her slugging clip ranked third, on-base percentage was fifth and her .425 batting average ranked in the top 25 nationally.

"I think every coach in the country was picking up their phone when they saw Cydney's name in the portal," said Gasso. "She was a perfect fit for our needs with some of the power we lost from our outgoing senior class.

"She put up tremendous numbers her freshman season leading to her being named a first team All-American. She'll come into this program and easily pick up some of what we lost, but be able to make her own path. She's a great fit and we're very excitedi about her future as a Sooner."

The San Marcos, Calif., product was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and was a Top-Three Finalist for the 2022 NFCA Division I National Freshman of the Year. Primarily starting at first base in her first-year campaign, Sanders held a .984 fielding percentage to go with 364 putouts and seven assists to just six errors.

"I chose Oklahoma to live out my dream of competing at the Women's College World Series," said Sanders. "I'm looking forward to playing at the highest level with the top players in softball."

Sanders will have three years of eligibility in Norman and joins fellow ASU transfer Alynah Torres and graduate transfer pitcher Alex Storako from Michigan in choosing the Sooners.

Oklahoma capped a record-breaking 2022 season with the program's sixth national title in early June, finishing the season 59-3.

For updates and more information on Oklahoma softball, follow the Sooners on Twitter and Instagram (@OU_Softball) and like Oklahoma Softball on Facebook.

Leave a comment:

• SportyJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Ern View Post

I imagine playing catcher a few get by the pads.
    Plus she's not used to catching these pitchers. It was probably Faraimo. 15-0 odds

Leave a comment:

• TaimenHuchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Ern View Post

One has to be at least a bit masochistic to be a catcher .

Leave a comment:

• Big Ern
    replied

Wtf, pretty nasty bruising. What’s that about? She get trucked at the plate? Or having clotting issues?

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SportyJames
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SportyJames
    replied
    Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

She's playing pro ball, iirc.

Leave a comment:

• CrimsonOberon
    replied
    Originally posted by 61Sooner View Post
    Great that Hansen is on the USA World Team but where in the world is Alo? The most powerful hitter in the history of the game and she can't break into the lineup of slap hitters?
    Didn't the selectors learn anything from the Olympics?
    The selection committee must have their heads in the sand.
    She's playing pro ball, iirc.

Leave a comment:

• 61Sooner
    replied
    Great that Hansen is on the USA World Team but where in the world is Alo? The most powerful hitter in the history of the game and she can't break into the lineup of slap hitters?
    Didn't the selectors learn anything from the Olympics?
    The selection committee must have their heads in the sand.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    Originally posted by blacktop View Post

.....and I'm proud to say a Georgia girl. What was her fielding %? Along with Snow and Jennings?
    Fielding %'s:

Johns .918
    Jennings .977
    Snow 1.000

Leave a comment:

• blacktop
    replied

Yeah.....and one other thing--she never, ever, shied away from getting hit by a pitched ball. Crushed 13 HRs and she was good on the basepaths. Just an all around baller.
    .....and I'm proud to say a Georgia girl. What was her fielding %? Along with Snow and Jennings?

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied

Johns was better than her stats…just a ridiculous athlete, solid at everything, capable of making amazing plays. We were fortunate to have her come to OU. She played to win….I love that mentality, HCPG does too.
    Yeah.....and one other thing--she never, ever, shied away from getting hit by a pitched ball. Crushed 13 HRs and she was good on the basepaths. Just an all around baller.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied

For a tweet: Post the tweet number between the Twitter Brackets..like I did above.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied

Yeah, overall our fielding was below par for us last year. Romero was career .960, Flores .975, Lyons .960, and Arnold .975. Torres played short last year.

One mitigating factor for Johns is that she never shied away from the tough play, where she could have played it safe giving up an infield hit instead of risking an error. She had lots of tough, clutch plays and usually good on the bunts.
    Johns was better than her stats…just a ridiculous athlete, solid at everything, capable of making amazing plays. We were fortunate to have her come to OU. She played to win….I love that mentality, HCPG does too.

Leave a comment:

• NoCalSooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Sooner in SoCal View Post

Don't look at the fielding % of 3rd base last year if .930 needs improvement.
    Yeah, overall our fielding was below par for us last year. Romero was career .960, Flores .975, Lyons .960, and Arnold .975. Torres played short last year.

One mitigating factor for Johns is that she never shied away from the tough play, where she could have played it safe giving up an infield hit instead of risking an error. She had lots of tough, clutch plays and usually good on the bunts.

Leave a comment:

• Me And My Butt
    replied
    FWIW........

Just a prediction........

[URL="https://twitter.com/OUCrystalBall/status/1546187882783821825"]

For a tweet: Post the tweet number between the Twitter Brackets..like I did above.

Leave a comment:

• Crimson47
    replied
    FWIW........

Just a prediction........

[URL="https://twitter.com/OUCrystalBall/status/1546187882783821825"]

Leave a comment:

• Sooner in SoCal
    replied
    I think 3b will go to the best defender. Torres had around .930 fielding average last season. I think she'll need to show some improvement there. Whether it's at 3rd or elsewhere, she'll likely get playing time. We've been very fortunate at 3rd, defensively, the last few years with Romero, Flores, and Johns. Don't forget Brito was a shortstop at Oregon. Lilio is a candidate and not sure if incoming frosh Hodge could play 3rd. She's described as a middle infielder.
    Don't look at the fielding % of 3rd base last year if .930 needs improvement.

Leave a comment:

• NoCalSooner
    replied
    I think 3b will go to the best defender. Torres had around .930 fielding average last season. I think she'll need to show some improvement there. Whether it's at 3rd or elsewhere, she'll likely get playing time. We've been very fortunate at 3rd, defensively, the last few years with Romero, Flores, and Johns. Don't forget Brito was a shortstop at Oregon. Lilio is a candidate and not sure if incoming frosh Hodge could play 3rd. She's described as a middle infielder.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
X
UA-124223861-1