First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Oklahoma Sooners Baseball Season Thread - The New Rope

The 2021 season left Oklahoma baseball fans continuing to ask the same question. What could have been? It would seem that Oklahoma cannot let go of the 2020 season and that attitude seems to have trickled into 21. While last years club fell short of the Sooner standard, the offseason would appear to be where Skip & Co came out as winners. Recruiting and development are where championships are won and the Sooners have done well at both this offseason. Coach Johnson has played the Transfer Portal as well as anyone, bringing in quality assets from a variety of talent pools. Perfect Game has ranked this group as the No 8 class in the country based on high school, JuCo and 4 years transfers. With the additions of Chazz Martinez, David Sandlin, Griffin Miller and Sebastian Orduno, this club has hit reload instead of rebuild. Jake Bennett could be this years Cade Cavalli and another year with Braden Carmichael on the mound can only be a net positive. When you add in the return of Cade Horton and a fully healthy Tanner Tredaway, the ceiling for this club could be pretty high. Bringing up the youngsters and keeping guys healthy are going to be key in making a run at the post season.

The outfield should be the usual suspects with one new major addition. Kendal Pettis should be your everyday left fielder along with the aforementioned Tanner Tredaway. Sebastian Orduno, a JuCo transfer out of California who has a big bat and an even bigger motor will round out what might be one of the most talented defensive groups we have had in the since Kyler Murray and Steele Walker. You should also see a decent dose of Diego Muniz, John Spikerman (once 100%) and possibly even Chazz Martinez if he is not in the DH spot or Pitching.

While some may see it as a problem this roster really could fit in the Skip Johnson mold. As much as I hate to say it, we should see platooning again. With the amount of talent available there really is no other option. The Sooners major log jam is in the infield. Having guys like Squires and Horton fighting for a spot at 3B and Brown/Daniel/Nichlaus/Clark fighting it out at 2B this is actually a good thing. Iron sharpens iron, the options we have at those spots are high quality, and in this particular instance, platooning early in the season may not be the worst idea. This will be a situation where whoever has the hot bat gets the nod. Don’t be surprised to see some real tinkering as the season goes on.

This year we will get to see just what Peyton Graham can do as a full time Shortstop. Spending his entire Sooner career at 3B. He has been tabbed as a pre season all American, one of the top third basemen(that is correct) and top draft prospects in the 2022 cycle. He was also selected as the No 7 SS in all of college baseball by D1. PG should be a top of the lineup hitter. I could see him batting lead off or even in the 3 or 4 hole if his bat shows the kind of power we all know he has. The move to SS was inevitable and while there was never a problem at that position under Z, it will be nice to have a defender and power hitter as the Sooner stop gap.

First Base is a spot where big shoes need to be filled with big feet. The Sooners have 3 legitimate options for the corner sport. Max McGwire, son of MLB superstar Mark will more than likely take the spot as a true freshmen. After seeing him play in the fall we should be in good hands. While he does not have the muscular build like his father, he does have plenty of room to grow and develop in the next 3-4 years. He already swings a heavy bat, but repeatable power and how often he gets on base remains to be seen. Another option at First is Blake Robertson. The kid fits the mold of your prototypical First basemen, he hits with power and has a nice glove, another instance of who has the hot bat gets the spot. That being said, I feel like this is Max’s spot to lose. During the intrasquad games, we got to see Squires work out and he looked great, made an excellent play with his glove on a hot grounder. Having squires in the order is a necessity. He is a + fielder and + hitter you have to find a way to get him in the game.

Catcher is a spot where we should see continued success. Justin Mitchell has transferred to K-State, this move should signal that Jimmy Crooks will be the man going into the spring. Jimmy has been listed as the No 8 catcher in America this season. Crooks hit just shy of .300 last season to go with 10 home-runs and 39 runs batted in and should be poised for another great season. With this being a draft year for Crooks this is a recipe that can only boost this ball club. Having a quality back up in Hudson Polk gives this club depth and will help spell Jimmy Rakes when he is need of a rest. Polk homered in his first start last season and looks like he could be the future behind the plate after this spring.

Oklahoma took a very big but inevitable hit when Jason Ruffcorn was drafted. Getting us there will be Jarret Godman as the closer, Big Ben Abrams, Javier Ramos, Carter Campbell, Carson Atwood as well as some very nice pickups on the recruiting trail. Aaron Calhoun who may find himself as a starter in the coming years should be handed a nice amount of innings as a true freshmen. Griffin Miller is another name to remember as he was in competition with Godman for the closer spot and still may end up there by seasons end. Twin brothers Luke & Zach Carrell are another nice snag by OU along with Luc Flada, Keegan Allen, Creed Watkins and Nicholas Andrews. Overall this groups of slabsters should be a nice crutch for Skip to lean on after the frontline has given way to the bullpen. You may see Carmichael be the first option if he does not nail down a starting gig.

Starting Pitching is where we may see some big improvement right off the bat. I like Carmichael as a weekend starter, but it would appear he may have been pushed to mid week. While I think he has earned a weekend role, I believe the kid will do whatever he is asked. I think we are going to see Jake Bennett on Friday, David Sandlin on Saturdays and Chazz Martinez working the Sunday matchups. All three of these guys were just listed in the Top 100 of the Top 150 Starting Pitcher for 2020 by D1 Baseball. I could see Chazz starting off as the mid week guy with Carmichael taking Sundays. We have quite a few options and when Horton comes online in March, the Sooner staff gets even deeper.

This is a pretty pivotal year for this club. I know obviously we need to keep everyone healthy. Having key players like Tred, Squires and Horton available all year will raise the potential of this team tremendously. I honestly feel like this group has a different attitude and you can see they have built some tight bonds during the summer and fall. I think we sniff have a super regional in this group, just gotta put it all together.

Boomer Sooner and have a great season!

Comment

Wow. Just looked at who we play. It's a pretty tall order for the first weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post
        Wow. Just looked at who we play. It's a pretty tall order for the first weekend.
        While I don't think it will be easy. I do not see why we can't come out of there 2-1 3-0 and ranked. We have some good solid arms and some lively bats.

Comment

https://twitter.com/OU_Baseball/status/

2021 records:
          Auburn 25-27
          Arizona 45-18 made the CWS
          Michigan 27-19 NCAA Regional

Tough weekend, but go 2-1 or 3-0 & we should be ranked.

Comment

Originally posted by Metes View Post

While I don't think it will be easy. I do not see why we can't come out of there 2-1 3-0 and ranked. We have some good solid arms and some lively bats.
            Agree. I’m hoping Coach & staff have righted the ship after the disaster that was last season. Let’s go Sooners!

Comment

We say this every year...and every year we crap our chaps. I hope to God we can field a competitive baseball team this year. I love the game so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytherin View Post

We say this every year...and every year we crap our chaps. I hope to God we can field a competitive baseball team this year. I love the game so much.
                They went 2 -1in the tournament they played in in 21 and they went 2-1 in the tournament in 20. I think we have sone better attitudes this year and definitely an upgrade in talent. We will see how the year plays out. As much I don't like looking back on 20 and what might have been if you call that team "Omaha Bound" like most people have then you have to give them credit for it. We lost our entire rotation, catchers and major staff pitchers to the draft before last year so a drop off was kind of a formality, I know you all hate this team but they were closer to the post season last season then most want to admit.

Comment

They went 2 -1in the tournament they played in in 21 and they went 2-1 in the tournament in 20. I think we have sone better attitudes this year and definitely an upgrade in talent. We will see how the year plays out. As much I don't like looking back on 20 and what might have been if you call that team "Omaha Bound" like most people have then you have to give them credit for it. We lost our entire rotation, catchers and major staff pitchers to the draft before last year so a drop off was kind of a formality, I know you all hate this team but they were closer to the post season last season then most want to admit.
                  True. I believe most want this team & program to get elevated back to where we remember it being,(a CWS contender on an annual basis) & seeing the consistent struggles, etc have worn most out.

Honestly, I hope Coach & staff have righted the ship & get us there, but we will see.

Comment

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/2...22-season.aspx

BaseballFebruary 16, 2022HOW TO WATCH OU BASEBALL DURING 2022 SEASON

NORMAN – Nearly every Oklahoma baseball game during the 2022 season will be broadcast on either national or regional television or a video streaming platform.

All 30 OU home games will be broadcast on either Bally Sports Oklahoma or SoonerSports.tv, while three others will be nationally televised on an ESPN network. Big 12 road games will be available via Big 12 Now on ESPN+, while video streaming of other road contests may be available on the respective school's website.

The season-opening State Farm College Baseball Showdown at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, will be broadcast on FloBaseball. The Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic at Minute Maid Park in Houston will be available on AT&T SportsNet in the Houston Astros' regular markets, on Astros.com and on the Astros' Facebook page.

Oklahoma's Saturday and Sunday contests against Texas will be televised on ESPN2 (Saturday, April 2) and ESPNU (Sunday, April 3). OU's Saturday, April 9 contest at Oklahoma State will be televised on ESPNU.

A total of seven home games are slated for television on Bally Sports Oklahoma or Bally Sports Oklahoma Plus: Air Force (March 15 and 16), Baylor (March 25 and 27), Wichita State (April 19), Kansas State (April 30) and West Virginia (May 14).

An additional eight SSTV broadcasts will be premium SoonerSports.tv features, which will be complete multi-camera broadcasts with on-air talent. Those contests include: Dallas Baptist (March 8), Baylor (March 26), Texas (April 1), Oral Roberts (April 5), Kansas State (April 29 and May 1) and West Virginia (May 13 and 15).

The remaining 13 home games, including Oklahoma's home-opening week against Wichita State (Feb. 22) and Northwestern State (Feb. 25-27), will be streamed on SoonerSports.tv with audio provided from the Sooner Sports Network's radio call.

From the press box at L. Dale Mitchell Park, veteran Sooner Sports personality Chad McKee will anchor the coverage as the television play-by-play voice of the Sooners. He will be joined by Major League Baseball veteran and former OU pitcher George Frazier, who will also get spot duty on play-by-play assignments.

Comment

It always seems that some hinky shit and drama come along to derail us. I don’t hate this team. I love this team.

Comment

Believe me guys, criticism is quite welcome in this thread. I just saw something that didn't seem right and mentioned it.

The season as a whole last year was disappointing. I was at the scrimmage on Sunday, talking with the Birds. We had this same discussion about how to most everyone this team has been a dumpster fire most of Skips tenure but the covid year is what really makes it look junky. We want OU to be in the post season year in and year out. There was a time like you guys have said where OU was gonna make it and it was just how things were. The rise of TT has made this conference a little more top heavy so we all cannibalize each other and then at the end of the year, the selection committee only takes 4 schools. The B12 should be getting 6 teams minimum most years. I feel like in the move to the SEC we are going to reap the benefits immediately. They get sub .500 conference record teams in all the time.

Comment

Comment

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/2...ife-field.aspx

BaseballFebruary 17, 2022SOONERS TO OPEN 2022 SEASON AT GLOBE LIFE FIELD

STATE FARM COLLEGE BASEBALL SHOWDOWN / FRIDAY-SUNDAY, FEB. 18-20 / GLOBE LIFE FIELD / ARLINGTON, TEXAS
                            Watch ($) | Radio | Live Stats | Game Notes (PDF) | Twitter
                            First Pitch Oklahoma Opponent
                            Friday vs. Auburn, 11 a.m. LHP Jake Bennett AU: LHP Tommy Sheehan
                            Saturday vs. Arizona, 7 p.m. RHP David Sandlin UA: LHP Garrett Irvin
                            Sunday vs. Michigan, 6:30 p.m. LHP Chazz Martinez UM: TBA
                            First Pitch:
                            • Oklahoma opens the 2022 season this weekend at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown, held at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, home of the Texas Rangers.
                            • The Sooners will face Auburn at 11 a.m. Friday, Arizona at 7 p.m. Saturday and Michigan at 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

Watch/Listen/Follow:
                            • The games will be broadcast on FloBaseball.tv, which can be viewed with a subscription to FloBaseball. Announcing teams Danny Lee and Pat Combs, and Ben Wilson and Mike Hardge will call the broadcast action.
                            • All three contests will be broadcast locally on Sportstalk 99.3 FM/1400 AM KREF. The radio broadcast can also be found at Sportstalk1400.com and on the Sportstalk1400 app. Taylor Maples will be on the call for the games on Friday and Saturday, and Toby Rowland will call the Sunday evening finale from Globe Life Field.
                            • Live stats will be available at OUStats.com.

Leading Off:
                            • Oklahoma is in its fifth season under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson (including the 2020 season that was shortened due to the COVID-19 pandemic). Johnson, who spent the 2017 season on staff as an assistant coach, has led the Sooners to a 112-80 record since taking over as head coach prior to the 2018 season.
                            • The Sooners are making their second appearance at Globe Life Field, which opened in 2020. OU played two midweek games at the Rangers' ballpark last season: a 9-5 loss to Stephen F. Austin (Feb. 23) and a 7-1 win over UT Arlington (Feb. 24).
                            • Oklahoma is scheduled to play in two multi-team events in major league ballparks during the first three weeks of the season. OU will also play in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic at Minute Maid Park in Houston, March 4-6.
                            • This will be the fourth straight season in which Oklahoma has played at least one game in a Major League Ballpark. OU played two games at Globe Life Field in 2021, three at Houston's Minute Maid Park in 2020 (Shriners College Classic) and one contest against Minnesota at Target Field in Minneapolis (2019).

Series History vs. Auburn:
                            • Oklahoma leads the all-time series against Auburn, 5-1. The Sooners defeated the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings in the opening game of last season's Round Rock Classic. Prior to 2021, the teams last met in the 1998 NCAA Atlantic II Regional, a 9-8 Auburn win. The Sooners won twice in the 1995 NCAA Midwest II Regional in Oklahoma City (9-8 and 3-1) and were also victorious in the 1994 College World Series (5-4). This will be just the third contest between Oklahoma and Auburn that will not take place in the postseason; OU won the first meeting between the schools, 6-3 in 1992 at a March tournament in Mobile, Ala.

Series History vs. Arizona:
                            • Oklahoma and Arizona are playing for the second straight year after not meeting on the diamond for 42 years. Last season, the Wildcats won 20-13 and 12-1 at the Frisco Classic. Prior to last year, the teams last played in the 1979 NCAA Midwest Regional in Tucson, and also met in the 1976 College World Series. The Wildcats lead the all-time series 14-3 (15 games played between 1963 and 1979) and have won the last nine meetings.

Series History vs. Michigan:
                            • Oklahoma leads the all-time series against Michigan, 12-6. The teams last met in 2017 for a three-game series in Ann Arbor, which Michigan swept. The Wolverines have won four straight in the series, including a victory in San Diego in 2007. OU claimed two of three games in Norman during the 2003 season.

Opening Day Notes:
                            • Since 1962, Oklahoma is 39-21 on opening day and is 9-4 in its last 13 season openers. The Sooners are 29-4 in home season openers since 1962, including a 25-3 mark at L. Dale Mitchell Park, which opened in 1982.
                            • Oklahoma will open the season at a neutral site for the third time in the last five seasons. OU began the 2020 season in Pensacola, Fla., with a three-game series against Virginia. The Sooners dropped the opener, but won two of three games in the series. In 2018, the Sooners began with four games at the Baseball at the Beach event in Conway, S.C.
                            • Third-year sophomore left-hander Jake Bennett is slated to start on the mound for the Sooners to open the 2022 season. He is poised to become OU's first left-handed opening day starter since Jacob Evans in 2014.

About the Sooners:
                            • The Sooners returned 18 players and welcomed 22 newcomers for the 2022 season. Among the returning lineup players are redshirt sophomore catcher Jimmy Crooks, redshirt sophomore infielder Peyton Graham and redshirt senior Tanner Tredaway, redshirt junior Diego Munizand redshirt sophomore Kendall Pettis in the outfield. OU returns six pitchers from last season: redshirt sophomore Jake Bennett (13 starts in 2021), redshirt junior Braden Carmichael (14 starts), redshirt junior Jaret Godman (19 appearances), redshirt junior Ben Abram (13 appearances), redshirt sophomore Javier Ramos(15 appearances) and sophomore Carson Atwood(12 appearances).
                            • Oklahoma must replace much of its production at the plate and on the mound in 2022, including three infield starters, one weekend starting pitcher and a three-year closer. Compared to the final 2021 stats, OU returns 48% of its hits, 45% of RBIs and 49% of extra base hits at the plate, and 47% of innings pitched and 41% of strikeouts on the mound.
                            Peyton Graham was named on the Golden Spikes Award Watch List, awarded by USA Baseball. He was also recognized as a first-team Preseason All-American by Baseball America and named to the Preseason All-Big 12 team by the league's coaches.
                            Jimmy Crooks earned third-team preseason All-America honors from the NCBWA and Collegiate Baseball.
                            • Six Sooners were listed among the top players in the nation at their respective positions by D1Baseball: No. 7 shortstop Peyton Graham, No. 8 catcher Jimmy Crooks, No. 39 relief pitcher Griffin Miller, No. 54 starting pitcher Chazz Martinez, No. 74 starting pitcher David Sandlin, No. 78 starting pitcher Jake Bennett.
                            • Graham was ranked No. 23 on Baseball America's list of the top 150 overall players in the nation.
                            • Nine Sooners are ranked among the top 50 players in the Big 12, including seven in the top 20 and four in the top 10, according to D1Baseball: Graham at No. 3, Martinez at No. 5, Crooks at No. 7, Cade Horton at No. 8, Bennett at No. 16, Sandlin at No. 17, Miller at No. 20, Creed Watkins at No. 31 and Tanner Tredaway at No. 34.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
                              https://soonersports.com/news/2022/2...ife-field.aspx

BaseballFebruary 17, 2022SOONERS TO OPEN 2022 SEASON AT GLOBE LIFE FIELD

STATE FARM COLLEGE BASEBALL SHOWDOWN / FRIDAY-SUNDAY, FEB. 18-20 / GLOBE LIFE FIELD / ARLINGTON, TEXAS
                              Watch ($) | Radio | Live Stats | Game Notes (PDF) | Twitter
                              First Pitch Oklahoma Opponent
                              Friday vs. Auburn, 11 a.m. LHP Jake Bennett AU: LHP Tommy Sheehan
                              Saturday vs. Arizona, 7 p.m. RHP David Sandlin UA: LHP Garrett Irvin
                              Sunday vs. Michigan, 6:30 p.m. LHP Chazz Martinez UM: TBA
                              First Pitch:
                              • Oklahoma opens the 2022 season this weekend at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown, held at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, home of the Texas Rangers.
                              • The Sooners will face Auburn at 11 a.m. Friday, Arizona at 7 p.m. Saturday and Michigan at 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

Watch/Listen/Follow:
                              • The games will be broadcast on FloBaseball.tv, which can be viewed with a subscription to FloBaseball. Announcing teams Danny Lee and Pat Combs, and Ben Wilson and Mike Hardge will call the broadcast action.
                              • All three contests will be broadcast locally on Sportstalk 99.3 FM/1400 AM KREF. The radio broadcast can also be found at Sportstalk1400.com and on the Sportstalk1400 app. Taylor Maples will be on the call for the games on Friday and Saturday, and Toby Rowland will call the Sunday evening finale from Globe Life Field.
                              • Live stats will be available at OUStats.com.

Leading Off:
                              • Oklahoma is in its fifth season under the direction of head coach Skip Johnson (including the 2020 season that was shortened due to the COVID-19 pandemic). Johnson, who spent the 2017 season on staff as an assistant coach, has led the Sooners to a 112-80 record since taking over as head coach prior to the 2018 season.
                              • The Sooners are making their second appearance at Globe Life Field, which opened in 2020. OU played two midweek games at the Rangers' ballpark last season: a 9-5 loss to Stephen F. Austin (Feb. 23) and a 7-1 win over UT Arlington (Feb. 24).
                              • Oklahoma is scheduled to play in two multi-team events in major league ballparks during the first three weeks of the season. OU will also play in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic at Minute Maid Park in Houston, March 4-6.
                              • This will be the fourth straight season in which Oklahoma has played at least one game in a Major League Ballpark. OU played two games at Globe Life Field in 2021, three at Houston's Minute Maid Park in 2020 (Shriners College Classic) and one contest against Minnesota at Target Field in Minneapolis (2019).

Series History vs. Auburn:
                              • Oklahoma leads the all-time series against Auburn, 5-1. The Sooners defeated the Tigers 4-3 in 10 innings in the opening game of last season's Round Rock Classic. Prior to 2021, the teams last met in the 1998 NCAA Atlantic II Regional, a 9-8 Auburn win. The Sooners won twice in the 1995 NCAA Midwest II Regional in Oklahoma City (9-8 and 3-1) and were also victorious in the 1994 College World Series (5-4). This will be just the third contest between Oklahoma and Auburn that will not take place in the postseason; OU won the first meeting between the schools, 6-3 in 1992 at a March tournament in Mobile, Ala.

Series History vs. Arizona:
                              • Oklahoma and Arizona are playing for the second straight year after not meeting on the diamond for 42 years. Last season, the Wildcats won 20-13 and 12-1 at the Frisco Classic. Prior to last year, the teams last played in the 1979 NCAA Midwest Regional in Tucson, and also met in the 1976 College World Series. The Wildcats lead the all-time series 14-3 (15 games played between 1963 and 1979) and have won the last nine meetings.

Series History vs. Michigan:
                              • Oklahoma leads the all-time series against Michigan, 12-6. The teams last met in 2017 for a three-game series in Ann Arbor, which Michigan swept. The Wolverines have won four straight in the series, including a victory in San Diego in 2007. OU claimed two of three games in Norman during the 2003 season.

Opening Day Notes:
                              • Since 1962, Oklahoma is 39-21 on opening day and is 9-4 in its last 13 season openers. The Sooners are 29-4 in home season openers since 1962, including a 25-3 mark at L. Dale Mitchell Park, which opened in 1982.
                              • Oklahoma will open the season at a neutral site for the third time in the last five seasons. OU began the 2020 season in Pensacola, Fla., with a three-game series against Virginia. The Sooners dropped the opener, but won two of three games in the series. In 2018, the Sooners began with four games at the Baseball at the Beach event in Conway, S.C.
                              • Third-year sophomore left-hander Jake Bennett is slated to start on the mound for the Sooners to open the 2022 season. He is poised to become OU's first left-handed opening day starter since Jacob Evans in 2014.

About the Sooners:
                              • The Sooners returned 18 players and welcomed 22 newcomers for the 2022 season. Among the returning lineup players are redshirt sophomore catcher Jimmy Crooks, redshirt sophomore infielder Peyton Graham and redshirt senior Tanner Tredaway, redshirt junior Diego Munizand redshirt sophomore Kendall Pettis in the outfield. OU returns six pitchers from last season: redshirt sophomore Jake Bennett (13 starts in 2021), redshirt junior Braden Carmichael (14 starts), redshirt junior Jaret Godman (19 appearances), redshirt junior Ben Abram (13 appearances), redshirt sophomore Javier Ramos(15 appearances) and sophomore Carson Atwood(12 appearances).
                              • Oklahoma must replace much of its production at the plate and on the mound in 2022, including three infield starters, one weekend starting pitcher and a three-year closer. Compared to the final 2021 stats, OU returns 48% of its hits, 45% of RBIs and 49% of extra base hits at the plate, and 47% of innings pitched and 41% of strikeouts on the mound.
                              Peyton Graham was named on the Golden Spikes Award Watch List, awarded by USA Baseball. He was also recognized as a first-team Preseason All-American by Baseball America and named to the Preseason All-Big 12 team by the league's coaches.
                              Jimmy Crooks earned third-team preseason All-America honors from the NCBWA and Collegiate Baseball.
                              • Six Sooners were listed among the top players in the nation at their respective positions by D1Baseball: No. 7 shortstop Peyton Graham, No. 8 catcher Jimmy Crooks, No. 39 relief pitcher Griffin Miller, No. 54 starting pitcher Chazz Martinez, No. 74 starting pitcher David Sandlin, No. 78 starting pitcher Jake Bennett.
                              • Graham was ranked No. 23 on Baseball America's list of the top 150 overall players in the nation.
                              • Nine Sooners are ranked among the top 50 players in the Big 12, including seven in the top 20 and four in the top 10, according to D1Baseball: Graham at No. 3, Martinez at No. 5, Crooks at No. 7, Cade Horton at No. 8, Bennett at No. 16, Sandlin at No. 17, Miller at No. 20, Creed Watkins at No. 31 and Tanner Tredaway at No. 34.
                              Thank you for posting. I’m loving all of the people interaction this early in the year.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good start to the weekend. Now, let’s build on it.

Comment

How good or bad is Auburn?

Comment

Originally posted by nstinson View Post
                                                How good or bad is Auburn?
                                                Last year they were: 25-27/10-20. We played them last year & lost in 10 4-3.

Comment

Last year they were: 25-27/10-20. We played them last year & lost in 10 4-3.
                                                  We won in 10 4-3

Comment

We won in 10 4-3
                                                    Lol. Don’t know why the schedule had it wrong. Thanks for the correction:)

Comment

so not a big sign one way or another. Should Arizona be a better gauge for us?

Comment

Baseball is pitching. We shut them out. I'd say a big sign.

Comment

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/2...on-opener.aspx

BaseballFebruary 18, 2022SOONERS SHUT OUT AUBURN IN SEASON OPENER

ARLINGTON, Texas – Shortstop Peyton Graham hit a two-run home run and Oklahoma pitched a three-hit shutout as the Sooners opened the 2022 baseball season with a 3-0 win over Auburn at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown at Globe Life Field.

Graham's homer broke open a scoreless game in the bottom of the seventh inning. The Sooners (1-0) added a run in the eighth when Tanner Tredawaywalked and moved around to score on a double play.

Jake Bennett struck out two batters over 5.0 innings in the start. True freshman Colton Sundloff(1-0) followed with two innings to pick up the win in his collegiate debut and Jaret Godman earned his second career save.

"I thought we really played with our hearts today," Oklahoma head coach Skip Johnson said. "We played really well. Bennett set the tone. He really attacked the zone and stayed in control of himself. I thought Godman was outstanding. Colton came in and did his job, and what Carter (Campbell) did was outstanding."

Sundloff was perfect with a groundout and two fly outs in the sixth inning, but faced two runners on base with one out in the seventh. On the next pitch after a quick visit from Johnson, he rolled a ground ball to Graham who tossed it to second baseman Diego Muniz to complete the double play.

Campbell was perfect in his debut inning, striking out his first batter. Godman worked around a leadoff single in the ninth, striking out two batters, before ending the game with a fly out to Tanner Tredaway in center field.

The Sooners had an early scoring opportunity with two runners in scoring position in the first inning. After designated hitter Blake Robertson singled and catcher Jimmy Crooks walked, third baseman Cade Horton hit a ball on the screws but right at the shortstop, who fell to the ground making the catch. In the fourth inning, Muniz hit a two-out double to left field to put two in scoring position, but a strikeout ended the frame.

OU batters tallied four hits and drew five walks in the game.

"We had some really quality at bats through the game," Johnson said. "Then all of a sudden, Peyton comes up and gets a big hit. It kind of freed us up a little bit. That's what's going to happen on opening day. The anxiety is out of the way and it's just time to go out and play. I'm really proud of them today."

Oklahoma has now won four of its last five contests against SEC opponents, dating back to last season, and is 6-2 against the league since the start of the 2020 campaign.

The shutout victory was Oklahoma's first on opening day since 1994, when the Sooners beat Missouri Southern 14-0. OU is now 40-21 in season openers since 1962.

The Sooners continue in the College Baseball Showdown Saturday against Arizona. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Comment

Comment

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/2...on-opener.aspx

BaseballFebruary 18, 2022SOONERS SHUT OUT AUBURN IN SEASON OPENER

ARLINGTON, Texas – Shortstop Peyton Graham hit a two-run home run and Oklahoma pitched a three-hit shutout as the Sooners opened the 2022 baseball season with a 3-0 win over Auburn at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown at Globe Life Field.

Graham's homer broke open a scoreless game in the bottom of the seventh inning. The Sooners (1-0) added a run in the eighth when Tanner Tredawaywalked and moved around to score on a double play.

Jake Bennett struck out two batters over 5.0 innings in the start. True freshman Colton Sundloff(1-0) followed with two innings to pick up the win in his collegiate debut and Jaret Godman earned his second career save.

"I thought we really played with our hearts today," Oklahoma head coach Skip Johnson said. "We played really well. Bennett set the tone. He really attacked the zone and stayed in control of himself. I thought Godman was outstanding. Colton came in and did his job, and what Carter (Campbell) did was outstanding."

Sundloff was perfect with a groundout and two fly outs in the sixth inning, but faced two runners on base with one out in the seventh. On the next pitch after a quick visit from Johnson, he rolled a ground ball to Graham who tossed it to second baseman Diego Muniz to complete the double play.

Campbell was perfect in his debut inning, striking out his first batter. Godman worked around a leadoff single in the ninth, striking out two batters, before ending the game with a fly out to Tanner Tredaway in center field.

The Sooners had an early scoring opportunity with two runners in scoring position in the first inning. After designated hitter Blake Robertson singled and catcher Jimmy Crooks walked, third baseman Cade Horton hit a ball on the screws but right at the shortstop, who fell to the ground making the catch. In the fourth inning, Muniz hit a two-out double to left field to put two in scoring position, but a strikeout ended the frame.

OU batters tallied four hits and drew five walks in the game.

"We had some really quality at bats through the game," Johnson said. "Then all of a sudden, Peyton comes up and gets a big hit. It kind of freed us up a little bit. That's what's going to happen on opening day. The anxiety is out of the way and it's just time to go out and play. I'm really proud of them today."

Oklahoma has now won four of its last five contests against SEC opponents, dating back to last season, and is 6-2 against the league since the start of the 2020 campaign.

The shutout victory was Oklahoma's first on opening day since 1994, when the Sooners beat Missouri Southern 14-0. OU is now 40-21 in season openers since 1962.

The Sooners continue in the College Baseball Showdown Saturday against Arizona. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
                                                              Something else pretty groovy happened in 1994 too. Omen?

Comment

Yes. Last season they were 45-18/21-9 and made it to Omaha for the CWS. We faced them twice last season & lost both 20-13 & 12-1.

Comment

Comment

Comment

https://twitter.com/FloBaseball/status/

Comment

Comment

Comment

I like that line up. Let’s see what they can do. Thanks for all of the posts.

Comment

#39

I like that line up. Let’s see what they can do. Thanks for all of the posts.
                                                                              Anytime:)

Comment

#40

Comment

#41

Thanks for all of the posts.
                                                                                  I'd like to second that...I use SoonernVolved as my Sooner Info Wire quite a bit...it's appreciated.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    T3

Oklahoma 0
                                                                                    Arizona 0

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Squires struck out swinging
                                                                                      Pettis struck out looking
                                                                                      Graham flied out to CF on a full count.

M3. #15 Arizona up to bat.

Comment

#44

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Caulfield singled to CF
                                                                                          McClaughery singled to LF

Arizona with two on & no outs

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Bingham tripled to right center.

#15 Arizona 2
                                                                                            Oklahoma 0

Wildcats with a runner on third & no outs, leading 2-0.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Susac walked. Runners on the corners.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                O’Tremba tripled, scores two more runs.

#15 Arizona 4
                                                                                                Oklahoma 0

Runner on third.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Davis SAC fly to CF scores another run.

#15 Arizona 5
                                                                                                  Oklahoma 0

Bases clear with 1 out.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Another runner on third from a single,(looks like an error helped).

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                    X
                                                                                                    UA-124223861-1