First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OU T & F

OU has a national champion in Vernon Turner who cleared 7" 7 1/4 to win the NCAA Indoor High Jump championship.
    Probably OU's 1st #1 in T & F nationals in many years. Turner was a star as a FR, had a couple of lean years but is back in stride.
    We seem to have a few standouts in T & F this year with a national runner up last season in the 400 outdoor hurdles and a lady PV who was 4th
    in the recent indoor meet.

Originally posted by 61Sooner View Post
    OU has a national champion in Vernon Turner who cleared 7" 7 1/4 to win the NCAA Indoor High Jump championship.
    Probably OU's 1st #1 in T & F nationals in many years. Turner was a star as a FR, had a couple of lean years but is back in stride.
    We seem to have a few standouts in T & F this year with a national runner up last season in the 400 outdoor hurdles and a lady PV who was 4th
    in the recent indoor meet.
    Turner transferred to Arkansas and then transferred back to OU. I never knew what that was all about.

Comment

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/3...-champion.aspx

Track and FieldMarch 12, 2022TURNER CROWNED NATIONAL CHAMPION

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Redshirt junior Vernon Turner wrapped up a dominating OU indoor career as a high jump national champion Saturday at the 2022 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Birmingham CrossPlex.

"I'm so proud of our team's performance at nationals," said head coach Tim Langford. Vernon Turner's win in the high jump left everyone on an emotional high. The entire arena was electrified by his 7'7 clearance. To have Olivia Lueking show up and perform as a freshman shows absolute promise for the future of our program. Payden Montana did a phenomenal job to score in one of the most competitive shot put finals in history. All in all, it's an amazing accomplishment just to make the indoor national championship. It's the most elite meet in the world and our Sooners showed up and showed out!"
      "Our athletes displayed the fighting spirit needed to be called All-Americans." - Tim Langford
      Turner highlighted Oklahoma's run at the indoor nationals, clearing a season-best at 7-7.25 (2.32m) on his second attempt to claim the title. With the first-place finish, Turner became the first high jump NCAA indoor champion in Oklahoma history.

"I think to come out here and finally win a national championship kind of makes it all worth it," said Turner. "All the adversity I've gone through has definitely been worth it. To be able to go 2.32 meters again after my freshman year definitely means I'm back to where I should've been. Hopefully, I can take a shot at the collegiate record soon."

Freshman Olivia Lueking made her NCAA Indoor Championships debut by snatching a first-team All-America honor with a fourth-place finish in pole vault, clearing 14-5.50 (4.41m).

In women's shot put, junior Payden Montanaearned first team All-America honors. Her best mark came from her fourth attempt at 56-7.25 (17.25m), securing sixth place.

Junior Mikeisha Welcome was named a second team All-American in women's triple jump with a leap of 41-8 (12.70m).
      UP NEXT

The Sooners will travel to Fort Worth, Texas for their outdoor season opener at the TCU Invitational on March 18-19.

For updates and more information on Oklahoma track and field, follow the Sooners on Twitter and Instagram (@OU_Track) and like Oklahoma Sooners Track & Field and Cross Country on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonernVolved View Post
        https://soonersports.com/news/2022/3...-champion.aspx

Turner became the first high jump NCAA indoor champion in Oklahoma history.
        This comment was curious in that it intimates that OU has had an outdoor high jump champion.

So I looked it up. Sure enough, Parker Shelby won the NCAA outdoor in 1929 with a jump of 6' 3".

Comment

Vernon Turner jumped 7-6.50 at the Texas relays. OU outdoor record. Leads the NCAA in 2022. Tied for first in the world for outdoor currently.

Olympic champions are usually 7-8 to 7-10. So he is getting close to those guys.
          Last edited by Ruprecht; 03-31-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Livingston was 2nd in the 440H in the NCAAs in 2021 so he and Turner place some points here and there will give OU a shot at maybe in the top 15 in the outdoors meet.
            If this team had a few more top quality athletes in say sprints and distances they could make a run at a top 10 finish.
            Certainly should finish in a higher position than the wrestling team.

Comment

Vernon Turner placed 2nd in the High Jump at the US Nationals over this past weekend at 7' 3 1/2". Had the same height as the winner but an additional miss at a lower bar level.
              Turner will represent the USA in the World T & F meet later this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by 61Sooner View Post
                Vernon Turner placed 2nd in the High Jump at the US Nationals over this past weekend at 7' 3 1/2". Had the same height as the winner but an additional miss at a lower bar level.
                Turner will represent the USA in the World T & F meet later this summer.
                7'3" and 1/2" is pretty good. I think Sly is the only guy on the board who has ever jumped that high.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                X
                UA-124223861-1