Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always and I mean always take anything you read on surly about OU commits with a huge drink of burnt orange kool- aid. Sometimes they actually have legitimate info on OU commits, but more often than not it’s simply wishful thinking. Some of the more recent ones include CD Lamb wasn’t going to qualify and J.Crawford was going to be in trouble for sending nudes of a high school classmate. Those ball sniffers aren’t above making shit up. You can add Jase to this as well imo. He’s not looking at UT the way their 9.95ers act like he is. Grinch hit on plan A guys in the DB portion of this class. He damn sure is going to have to fight to keep them with OU’s current defensive reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by camel at sea View Post

The good news on this front is that it's within our reach to improve 40-50 spots in all kinds of defensive metrics before we even reach what anyone would consider a "good defense." It shouldn't be hard to create momentum on that side.
      Yeah, he doesn’t have to have a good defense. Just progress that he can sell. The schedule will allow it. Basically survive D’Eriq King the first week and then don’t get wrecked by Alan Bowman and Collin Johnson.

Comment

The Raym commitment video should be dropping sometime between now & Friday... Scoop is also saying Manning seems like a lamb situation.. He wants to take visits without disrespecting OU, with the way OU has handled this before, they expect him to come back to the good guys, eventually...

Comment

Bedenbauce

Comment

Take that Kirby! We can go in your backyard anytime we want but you think you can come in our backyard? Oh no no no. Boomer!

Comment

FUUGA.

Comment

Comment

Can we get a flowchart with eyeballs known and unknown? Haha

Comment

Originally posted by MJSooner View Post
                    New phone, who dis?

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post
                      Can we get a flowchart with eyeballs known and unknown? Haha
                      Should be two sets of eyes now. One them being Conyers.

Comment

Comment

That would be a shocker. I thought for sure he'd stay in Tennessee..

Comment

Originally posted by Northspeter View Post
                            That would be a shocker. I thought for sure he'd stay in Tennessee..
                            Might be between us and another not Tenn. I sure wouldn't rule them out though.

Comment

Bryson Washington's been committed a week and he's out there doing everything he can to pull a Rivals 250 defensive lineman out of Knoxville. If only everyone in the class recruited like that.

Comment

the names i keep seeing/hearing to round out this class are...

offense:
                                ol - jonah monheim

defense:
                                de - tyler baron
                                edge - noah arinze
                                db - jacobe covington
                                db - dontae manning

i'm no dean blevins so i have no idea what the percentages are on those guys committing (or re-committing in the case of manning).

ou needs another wr or db depending on what position they want dj graham to fill (i've heard he's a db, so they probably need another wr).

if they can pull those guys in, this class should be floating around #10 in the country. probably just outside the top 10 on rivals and just inside the top 10 on 247, and that's pretty impressive with a complete coaching overhaul on the defense and taking only 21. obviously if any high end targets want to commit, they'll make room at any position, or if the right ol or dl comes along (thus pushing up their class ranking), but that's probably what we're looking at for this year.

anybody see/hear anything different?

Comment

Originally posted by p23570 View Post

offense:
                                  ol - jonah monheim

defense:
                                  de - tyler baron
                                  edge - noah arinze
                                  db - jacobe covington
                                  db - dontae manning

i'm no dean blevins so i have no idea what the percentages are on those guys committing (or re-committing in the case of manning).

ou needs another wr or db depending on what position they want dj graham to fill (i've heard he's a db, so they probably need another wr).

if they can pull those guys in, this class should be floating around #10 in the country. probably just outside the top 10 on rivals and just inside the top 10 on 247, and that's pretty impressive with a complete coaching overhaul on the defense and taking only 21. obviously if any high end targets want to commit, they'll make room at any position, or if the right ol or dl comes along (thus pushing up their class ranking), but that's probably what we're looking at for this year.

I have no inside info, but I would think that we’ll end up with another DL or two given our recent attrition and the overall change in scheme.

Comment

offense:
                                    ol - jonah monheim

defense:
                                    de - tyler baron
                                    edge - noah arinze
                                    db - jacobe covington
                                    db - dontae manning

I'd take those but I keep seeing were gonna end up with 24 in the class, so pick a couple more... :)

Comment

offense:
                                      ol - jonah monheim

defense:
                                      de - tyler baron
                                      edge - noah arinze
                                      db - jacobe covington
                                      db - dontae manning

FWIW, Even with the number 1 OG and number 2 TE pick ups this weekend, I expect the actual team ranking to go up and close out top 5. A few of our verbals have not had much exposure and are assured to be reevaluated

Comment

Originally posted by AquariumDrinker View Post

I have no inside info, but I would think that we’ll end up with another DL or two given our recent attrition and the overall change in scheme.
                                        With the other positions we have singed and have commited ... the interior DL positions / rotation is the biggest remaining obstacle in building an OU team that could win a national title..

Even if they need a more than normal amount of development before playing, taking 2 more seems like a wise move.

Comment

Originally posted by AquariumDrinker View Post

personally, i would like to see ou sign all the aforementioned as well as another ol (no such thing as too many linemen), a hs dt (don’t want a hole they need to fill later), de (not enough talent on the roster beyond the starters to just take one), edge (good pass rushers are hard to come by and arinze isn’t really considered elite), and ilb (this position at ou has been garbage for so long that they should oversign every year until they have quality starters AND depth). they could always sign a 6th (or 7th) db, but that seems like overkill unless they are able to get a truly elite db.

Comment

We have 1 remaining set of eyes unaccounted for & that is supposedly going to be revealed soon... Then we get into the champu bbq, when we can start seeing more sets of eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Northspeter View Post
                                              We have 1 remaining set of eyes unaccounted for & that is supposedly going to be revealed soon... Then we get into the champu bbq, when we can start seeing more sets of eyes...
                                              rumors that i’ve seen are the outstanding eyes are for the de from knoxville, baron.

Comment

rumors that i’ve seen are the outstanding eyes are for the de from knoxville, baron.
                                                That would be HUGE

Comment

Don’t tease me,

Comment

Washington was after him and claimed he “got one” with eyes of his own. It makes a lot of sense. Unbelievable but it adds up.

Comment

db - jacobe covington

Comment

personally, i would like to see ou sign all the aforementioned as well as another ol (no such thing as too many linemen), a hs dt (don’t want a hole they need to fill later), de (not enough talent on the roster beyond the starters to just take one), edge (good pass rushers are hard to come by and arinze isn’t really considered elite), and ilb (this position at ou has been garbage for so long that they should oversign every year until they have quality starters AND depth). they could always sign a 6th (or 7th) db, but that seems like overkill unless they are able to get a truly elite db.
                                                        My guess is that they are probably expecting multiple DBs to hit the transfer portal in the next year. We have a crap ton of DBs who have probably been sticking it out this spring/summer to see if they stack up differently with the new D coaching staff. At some point, a bunch of those guys are going to get the hint that they're never going to play here and transfer.

S Baldwin, M Edwards, Norwood, J Parker, Bookie, Sylvie, Barnes, Broiles

I could see 4-5 of these guys transferring sometime before the next signing period, easily. I kind of think that the DB room is holding their breath to see how things shake out, and then once the pecking order gets settled I think we'll see a lot of DBs leave....cause they know that if they're not starting this year they're probably not going to ever get much PT.

Comment

Originally posted by ResidentEvil View Post

My guess is that they are probably expecting multiple DBs to hit the transfer portal in the next year. We have a crap ton of DBs who have probably been sticking it out this spring/summer to see if they stack up differently with the new D coaching staff. At some point, a bunch of those guys are going to get the hint that they're never going to play here and transfer.

I could see 4-5 of these guys transferring sometime before the next signing period, easily. I kind of think that the DB room is holding their breath to see how things shake out, and then once the pecking order gets settled I think we'll see a lot of DBs leave....cause they know that if they're not starting this year they're probably not going to ever get much PT.
                                                          valid. i would like to see ou go after a few juco dbs on top of the 5 they will likely sign this year. but signing more than 5 hs dbs seems like a waste.

Comment

Or we can wait to see what they can do with a little quality coaching...

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post
                                                              Or we can wait to see what they can do with a little quality coaching...
                                                              i'm guessing not many fit the scheme quite right, and if that's the case, then they sure better be starters this year or else they'll get passed over for guys that do fit the scheme.

Comment

I understand having a preference for tall corners etc., but there are great players at the position at all sizes. If you eliminate a whole group of prospects based on size, it obviously shrinks you're pool of targets. Remember when we had a system that preferred 6'4 plus QB's. Can you imagine if we said there are these 2 QB's out of Texas, but they don't fit the system. When I see all this stuff about recruit A doesn't fit the system because he's 5'10 instead of 6'1, it kind of drives me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
                                                                  I understand having a preference for tall corners etc., but there are great players at the position at all sizes. If you eliminate a whole group of prospects based on size, it obviously shrinks you're pool of targets. Remember when we had a system that preferred 6'4 plus QB's. Can you imagine if we said there are these 2 QB's out of Texas, but they don't fit the system. When I see all this stuff about recruit A doesn't fit the system because he's 5'10 instead of 6'1, it kind of drives me crazy.
                                                                  It's kind of a catch 22. As a rule, the tall guys are usually better on ball defenders and the short guys are better at staying with their man. Being taller and having length doesn't do you any good if you are three yards behind the receiver. Sticking to a guy like glue doesn't do you any good if the CB is 5'8" and the receiver is 6'6".

Comment

How many passes have gone just past a DB’s outstretched hands the last few years, or bounced off fingertips for a PBU instead of a pick? Grinch is a guy who will change the whole recruiting process to convert one of those per game. I think he values turnovers that much. Size for CBs is also about being able to press once in a while. Doesn’t sound like that will be Grinch’s default but he wants it in his toolbox, and Mike didn’t. Helping against runs and screens is also part of the game. Having some size and length matters there too.

When we look at longer guys maybe we’re too traumatized by Norvell’s WR classes. Grinch isn’t recruiting the CB equivalents of (sorry) Jeff Mead and Dallis Todd who are going to get burned by 10 yards on every deep route. These guys can move at their size.

Comment

Baldwin and Edwards can stay. We haven't even seen them on the field. The rest....

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                                                        How many passes have gone just past a DB’s outstretched hands the last few years, or bounced off fingertips for a PBU instead of a pick? Grinch is a guy who will change the whole recruiting process to convert one of those per game. I think he values turnovers that much. Size for CBs is also about being able to press once in a while. Doesn’t sound like that will be Grinch’s default but he wants it in his toolbox, and Mike didn’t. Helping against runs and screens is also part of the game. Having some size and length matters there too.

When we look at longer guys maybe we’re too traumatized by Norvell’s WR classes. Grinch isn’t recruiting the CB equivalents of (sorry) Jeff Mead and Dallis Todd who are going to get burned by 10 yards on every deep route. These guys can move at their size.
                                                                        I understand that size can be an asset, but being able to play the position seems more important to me. I looked at Alabama and Clemson depth charts Clemson has a 6'0 and a 5'10 corner as starters. Bama has guys from 5'10 to 6'2, but most are 5'10 to 6'0. I understand not wanting a whole roster of 5'7 corners but seems like you should recruit all the good ballplayers you can.

Comment

Originally posted by OUVarsityXV View Post

Baldwin and Edwards can stay. We haven't even seen them on the field. The rest....
                                                                          I hope broiles stays. He’s a physical playmaker. Dude can play.

Comment

Maybe I'm alone here, but I saw potential in Tre Brown.

So did Ehlinger when Tre dropped his nuts on the poor guy's chin.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

Brown wasn't on the list I was referring to. Brown of course stays. A bright spot in the secondary. Here was the list of possible transfer candidates:

I've seen PLENTY of Parker/Barnes/Sylvie. Broiles is OK. Norwood is OK. Probably need to see what Bookie has in store this year before we can really make a final judgement.

Comment

Brown wasn't on the list I was referring to. Brown of course stays. A bright spot in the secondary. Here was the list of possible transfer candidates:

I've seen PLENTY of Parker/Barnes/Sylvie. Broiles is OK. Norwood is OK. Probably need to see what Bookie has in store this year before we can really make a final judgement.
                                                                                Parker is a Junior this year. Make or break year for a 5 star guy coming out of HS. Broiles will be a RS Sophomore...jury is still out.

And wasn't Sylvie out most of last year? He's a RS Jr this year...hard to say we've seen plenty of him when last year is a wash for the kid.

I don't disagree that we've busted / wasted talent, but I'm also optimistic that at least 4 of the 8 guys listed above become meaningful contributors over the next 2-3 seasons.

Comment

Underrated all time glorious moment in the OU vs tx rivalry. Somehow, we conjured Superman on the Ellinger safety.

Will never forget the bug eyed, manic faces of the fans jumping around me in the stands at Jerrah World that day.

Absolute shock, hysteria, pandemonium and relief all in the same breath.

Comment

Originally posted by smusooner View Post

I'm also optimistic that at least 4 of the 8 guys listed above become meaningful contributors over the next 2-3 seasons.
                                                                                    The law of averages would seem to favor that.....^

But this helps shows why higher quality staff evaluations are required than the reliance on recruiting services and the star system that doesn't always do a very good job of measuring future work ethic, personal character, heart and desire when the pressure is on to preform.

We had this same problem at times under Switzer, Gibbs and Stoops.
                                                                                    They need to be the right players... no matter the star ranking...With better defensive recruiters / developers I think we are on the right path.

Comment

You get this, but I wasn't saying that all those players suck, or that they were for sure going to leave.

My point is that probably half of those players are unlikely to see the field much at all this year, they'll get a much clearer picture of where they stand in the program during this season. I expect many of them to find out that they've been recruited over and aren't likely to see the field in any meaningful way for OU.

We basically have 5 DB spots open. We know that Brown is going to be at 1 corner spot, and probably for the next two years. That leaves 6 players battling for one starting corner spot. We dont know much about the 3 safety positions (I'm including Nickel), but there are 11 players on the roster listed at DB or S. Even if you figure the two deep will all stay in place, thats around 17 players for 10 spots...not even factoring in the recruits coming in this class (Watts, Washington, etc).

Motley is our only Sr, and you have to assume that at least one or more of those 4 open spots is going to be locked down during this upcoming season. So next year you are looking at 18 or so players fighting for maybe 2? maybe 3? spots. I dont see any way that OU doesn't lose at least 2, if not up to 4-5, DBs between now and the next signing day.

Imagine if Pat Fields and DTY both lock up safety positions this year, they're both sophomores. We have players like Criddell and Morris, one of which should be a really good player for us; and we have guys like Watts/Washington potentially coming in. In that scenario, there is really no reason for Barnes, Broiles, Parker, or Sylvie to stick around. Injuries aside, they couldn't beat out younger guys when they had the chance; they're not likely to do it AFTER this year. There is no reason for them to stick around.

I think that we will end up losing 1-2 DBs to transfer before school starts, and then we will lose another 1-2 by the end of the season.

Comment

You get this, but I wasn't saying that all those players suck, or that they were for sure going to leave.

My point is that probably half of those players are unlikely to see the field much at all this year, they'll get a much clearer picture of where they stand in the program during this season. I expect many of them to find out that they've been recruited over and aren't likely to see the field in any meaningful way for OU.

We basically have 5 DB spots open. We know that Brown is going to be at 1 corner spot, and probably for the next two years. That leaves 6 players battling for one starting corner spot. We dont know much about the 3 safety positions (I'm including Nickel), but there are 11 players on the roster listed at DB or S. Even if you figure the two deep will all stay in place, thats around 17 players for 10 spots...not even factoring in the recruits coming in this class (Watts, Washington, etc).

Motley is our only Sr, and you have to assume that at least one or more of those 4 open spots is going to be locked down during this upcoming season. So next year you are looking at 18 or so players fighting for maybe 2? maybe 3? spots. I dont see any way that OU doesn't lose at least 2, if not up to 4-5, DBs between now and the next signing day.

Imagine if Pat Fields and DTY both lock up safety positions this year, they're both sophomores. We have players like Criddell and Morris, one of which should be a really good player for us; and we have guys like Watts/Washington potentially coming in. In that scenario, there is really no reason for Barnes, Broiles, Parker, or Sylvie to stick around. Injuries aside, they couldn't beat out younger guys when they had the chance; they're not likely to do it AFTER this year. There is no reason for them to stick around.

I think that we will end up losing 1-2 DBs to transfer before school starts, and then we will lose another 1-2 by the end of the season.
                                                                                        Theres more like 7-8 DB spots. In an ideal world, you rotate 3 CBs and 3 Safety’s based on “tiredness”. You can rotate 2 nickels if they’re in the base defense, but you most likely would only use only use one. I can see some people transferring, but not all 8. Especially since I think Bookie and Barnes (if he’s still alive) will play quite bit. My over under number would between 2.5 and 3.5 on transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentsniper1516 View Post

Theres more like 7-8 DB spots. In an ideal world, you rotate 3 CBs and 3 Safety’s based on “tiredness”. You can rotate 2 nickels if they’re in the base defense, but you most likely would only use only use one. I can see some people transferring, but not all 8. Especially since I think Bookie and Barnes (if he’s still alive) will play quite bit. My over under number would between 2.5 and 3.5 on transfers.
                                                                                          I mentioned more than 5 spots when I talked about the two deep.

And I only listed those 8 as potential guys who may transfer. For example, I wouldn't expect all of Sylvie, Barnes, Parker and Broiles to transfer this year....as I expect one or two of those guys will be on the two deep and will get decent playing time. If Broiles and Barnes are on the two deep, but the other two aren't.....why would they stay? They can't wait for Barnes/Broiles to graduate as they're older. There are several very talented younger guys on roster or coming in. If they aren't getting good PT this year, it's likely that they'll never see the field in a meaningful way for OU.

My prediction is that 3-4 of those 8 will not be at OU come spring ball 2020, leaving room to take more DBs either in this class or the next.

Comment

I mentioned more than 5 spots when I talked about the two deep.

And I only listed those 8 as potential guys who may transfer. For example, I wouldn't expect all of Sylvie, Barnes, Parker and Broiles to transfer this year....as I expect one or two of those guys will be on the two deep and will get decent playing time. If Broiles and Barnes are on the two deep, but the other two aren't.....why would they stay? They can't wait for Barnes/Broiles to graduate as they're older. There are several very talented younger guys on roster or coming in. If they aren't getting good PT this year, it's likely that they'll never see the field in a meaningful way for OU.

My prediction is that 3-4 of those 8 will not be at OU come spring ball 2020, leaving room to take more DBs either in this class or the next.
                                                                                            Yeah, the portal is going to light up. Right now Grinch has made clear every job is open, so nobody is bailing out. But if the season ends and you’ve now failed to win a job under two different DCs, the writing is on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post

Yeah, the portal is going to light up. Right now Grinch has made clear every job is open, so nobody is bailing out. But if the season ends and you’ve now failed to win a job under two different DCs, the writing is on the wall.
                                                                                              Yes but remember the portal giveth as well. If our defense shows marked improvement we could pick up a couple of guys who want to play for Grinch.

Comment

I’m reading Ryan Watts might be opening his recruitment back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdawg88 View Post
                                                                                                  I’m reading Ryan Watts might be opening his recruitment back up.
                                                                                                  It's to be expected. OU won't realistically be able to cement anything until we see some improvement this season. How much improvement we see may open doors up to even more recruits who don't currently have us on their radar. I'd much rather it happen now, than later.

Comment

It's to be expected. OU won't realistically be able to cement anything until we see some improvement this season. How much improvement we see may open doors up to even more recruits who don't currently have us on their radar. I'd much rather it happen now, than later.
                                                                                                    When our DB commits visit another school the UT, TX TECH, oSu and WVa. games from 2018 play on a loop in the background.

Comment

Can we keep anyone from decommiting?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1