• Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/riv...ts-to-oklahoma

Rivals250 QB Jackson Arnold commits to Oklahoma

Sam Spiegelman • Rivals.com
    National Recruiting Analyst
    @samspiegs
    Texas' top-ranked junior quarterback is off the board.

Jackson Arnold, a Rivals250 passer out of Denton (Texas) Guyer, committed to Oklahoma on Monday. A top-10 quarterback in the 2023 class, Arnold is the first splash on the recruiting trail for first-year Sooners head coach Brent Venables. Offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby, who spearheaded Arnold's recruitment at Ole Miss last year, also figured prominently into the equation.

The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Arnold picks Oklahoma over aforementioned Ole Miss, TCU and Notre Dame. He joins
    DeAndre Moore and
    Joshua Bates in the Sooners' haul

Arnold admittedly grew up with a fondness for the Sooners, but previous coach Lincoln Riley secured an early commitment from five-star California quarterback
    Malachi Nelson over the summer. With Riley now at USC, Nelson shortly followed suit to play for the local powerhouse.

That opened the door for Arnold to do the same in Norman. Here's more on his decision:

NATL
    ST
    POS
    JACKSON
    ARNOLD

VERBAL COMMIT
    1/24/2022
    OKLAHOMA
    6'2" | 195 LBS | PRO QB | 2023
    GUYER
    DENTON, TX
    5.8IN HIS OWN WORDS

On his commitment: "The thing about Oklahoma -- before they even offered I had interest. My friends are Oklahoma fans and they wanted me at Oklahoma, but it was a completely different staff and they had a quarterback (committed). Coach (Lincoln) Riley left and Coach (Jeff) Lebby and Coach (Brent) Venables came in. I had a strong connection with Coach Lebby at Ole Miss and it was one of my top schools."

On Lebby's offense: "His offense operates a lot like our (Guyer) offense now with wide splits, the RPO game, twist routes and Coach Lebby is a great coach and a great guy. He's always making jokes and he's fun to be around. Sure, all coaches are nice but he keeps it real. I'm gonna learn a lot under him and he has a lot to teach me, so I'm excited."

On Venables: "What Coach Venables had to say when I was down there ... I have a lot of trust in him. As he says, 'Defend the standard.' We're gonna keep Oklahoma as a powerhouse. He's a very optimistic person. He has only good things to say about the program, about Clemson. He came from a bad background and that's what built him up, and I think he's perfect for Oklahoma. He's high-energy, optimistic and demands the best of you."

On his January visit to Oklahoma: "The facilities are obviously impressive, but most people know that. It wasn't necessarily a huge factor for me, but it was super nice and the architecture is really cool. The whole campus is pretty -- and that was without leaves on the trees - so I'm sure it'll look even better in the fall, and the stadium and everything was impressive."

On winding up at Oklahoma: "People in my area are some of the biggest Oklahoma fans ... my best friends, their moms and dads, and that's kind of where my interest came from. That put Oklahoma on the map for me -- watching the games and as I watched the games, my interest just grew."
    RIVALS REACTION

Arnold became a household name in the Metroplex after stepping in for an injured Eli Stowers two years ago and drawing his first start against Austin Westlake in the Class 6A state title game. Now entrenched as the QB1, Arnold was the area Player of the Year after throwing for 3,931 yards and 34 touchdowns compared to five interceptions. He tacked on another 659 yards n the ground and 12 more scores.

A highly proficient game operator, Arnold completed better than 66-percent of his throws a season ago leading Guyer back to the state championship game. He's a playmaker with his ability to make plays with his arm and legs and is wildly efficient at the helm of the Guyer offense. Arnold flashed the ability to make throws from the pocket and on the run under duress -- with a high level of success -- and consistently keeps his eyes glued downfield and finds holes in the offense.

Arnold made a major leap as a junior and elevated his game throughout the season. He's the clear-cut QB1 in the Lone Star State in the 2023 cycle with a very impressive body of work and all the tools to thrive in a familiar Lebby offense.

Comment

*5 athlete Nyckolas Harbor who has crystal balls to Oklahoma 100% ran a 20.74 indoor 200m this past weekend.. his time ranks #4 All Time for high school we sign this kid and put him at safety we will officially have a no fly zone in the secondary
      BOOMER!

Comment

Presumably, the Jackson Arnold commit takes us out of the Manning sweepstakes. Not complaining at all, just observing.

Comment

Originally posted by IKE93 View Post
          *5 athlete Nyckolas Harbor who has crystal balls to Oklahoma 100% ran a 20.74 indoor 200m this past weekend.. his time ranks #4 All Time for high school we sign this kid and put him at safety we will officially have a no fly zone in the secondary
          BOOMER!
          He is 6'5" and 225 lbs. I doubt we are recruiting him as a safety. Maybe a Kyle Pitts type?

Comment

BOOMER!
            Isn't he and CW buddies?

Comment

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ope...y-january-25th

Recruiting Weekend
              -James Hale – Posted on: January 24, 2022

***OU didn’t have a ton of prospects in this week, but they had a talent-laden weekend of visitors. OU feels they have a shot at all of them, and before he left, safety Jamarrien Burt (6’1 175) of Ocala (Forest), Florida told OU he was committing to them. Then he called them back and said he was going to Missouri this weekend, but he was still committed to OU.

Sounds like Coach Venables doesn’t work that way and feels if a player is committed, he would rather him not be taking any other visits. I know that sounds old school, but Coach Venables is old school to a certain extent and let him know that if he takes that visit to Missouri, OU would not consider him committed and they would keep recruiting safeties.

The rub is that Missouri is telling Burt that they will take his brother, a D-11 at best prospect. OU countered that knowledge by letting him know that Missouri would not take his brother and that OU was not going to take him either unless he wanted to walk on.

It’s is up in the air whether Burt will take that official to Missouri or not.

***OU felt that they had a great weekend with four-star defensive lineman Gracen Halton (6’3, 270) of San Diego (st. Augustine), California, three-star Ahmad Moten (6’3, 290) of Fort Lauderdale (Cardinal Gibbons), Florida, and three-star edge rusher R. Mason Thomas (6’2, 215) of Fort Lauderdale (Cardinal Gibbons) all having a great time. Thomas and Moten still plan to visit Miami, and Halton has already been there. Halton is still committed to Oregon, but he had a great time at OU this weekend and that could change that.

***OU will be in Denton, Texas Monday, to follow up visits this weekend from 2023 four-star quarterback Jackson Arnold (6’1, 195) of Denton (Guyer), Texas, and four-star safety Peyton Bowen (6’0, 185) of the same school. OU is close to getting a verbal from Arnold, and he and Bowen are very good friends and would like to play college ball together. Bowen is currently committed to Notre Dame, but his quarterback is probably going to OU, and Bowen really likes BHall and Jay Valai, and if Arnold commits to OU soon, then Bowen is certainly a possibility to follow.

***OU Defensive Coordinator Ted Roof will be in Denton as well tomorrow to follow 2023 up with top linebacker Anthony Hill (6’2, 225) of Denton (Ryan), Texas, who had a great visit in Norman this weekend. Hill and Coach Roof hit it off, and Coach Venables is a big-time player with Hill as well.

Hill likes Norman as he was there last summer and went to a game last year. Now, he is getting to know the new staff, and by all indications, he hit it off with Roof and Venables. Hill’s father also likes OU, and the new staff is off to a good start with the 2023 top linebacker in the country.

Update on the Locks from January 23rd
              – Charlie S – Posted on: January 24, 2022

I don’t expect you will hear anything on either of the 2 locks from last night until signing day on February 2nd when they officially punch in. As we said, both of the players in question are in the class of ’22.

Spoke to one of the commits and he mentioned he will not be going public until signing day and touched base around the other commit and we don’t expect an announcement from him.

Lot’s of speculation on the names, but I hope you all did not miss James’ note this morning about how the New Staff views recruits who say they are committed.

I will clarify this note on our signing day chat for sure, but just saying, the hints are there, and remember, it is a New Staff.

“NIL” Dollars are too big to Ignore | Sourced
              – Super K – Posted on: January 24, 2022

***First, let’s be clear, what’s currently happening in CFB recruiting can hardly be called NIL deals. Plain and simple, this is boosters inducing players to go to school. And while some of that stuff happened before, under the table, it was nothing like what it is now.

***I spoke with a coach late last week and he told me that while he’s been on the road, he has high school coaches now asking for a share of “NIL” money.

***I spoke with a source with some direct knowledge of NIL deals and I wanted to pass some of that along to you.

***Was told that a particular transfer QB from a P5 program had a multiple P5 transfer opportunities. He ended up at a G5 program. Source told me said QB was offered close to seven figures after a booster or two from said G5 got involved. The family simply couldn’t turn that kind of money down.

***There are high school players being offered 400K plus.

***I was told that Texas outbid Tennessee for Wyoming WR transfer, Isaiah Neyor. I don’t know exactly what was offered but was told by a solid source on this that Tennessee had offered him a deal worth 250K and whatever Texas offered couldn’t be countered by Tennessee.

***Now, I do believe that there are major regulations coming. The sense I’m getting is that a federal bill is in the works. But…

***For now, I bring this up to say that you have to suspend some of your previous understanding of recruitment, especially as it relates to transfers.

***The reality is, you can have a player trending in your direction but you have no idea what’s going to be offered the next day. One coach told me, “I can recruit a kid and land him, wake up in the morning and find out I lost him to the money”.

***We don’t know who is being offered what at all times and that is the point.

***And I will add that it does sound like OU is playing the game but they’re a lot more discreet with it and it’s happening a lot less. In other words, I don’t get the feeling OU has a couple of guys coming in and saying, “you want that kid? Here’s a half a million bucks”. But it does sound like that is very much happening elsewhere.

Comment

spoke with a coach late last week and he told me that while he’s been on the road, he has high school coaches now asking for a share of “NIL” money.
                WTF! This is getting downright ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post

He is 6'5" and 225 lbs. I doubt we are recruiting him as a safety. Maybe a Kyle Pitts type?
                  Edge or rush LB

Comment

Wow, a TFB note with some real behind the scenes info, awesome.

Couple takeaways:
                    1. The no visits if you're committed rule is high risk, high reward. I know it wasn't working for Bob at the end, but Venables deserves to try his own way.
                    2. Love that brothers still have to get in on their own accord. If we didn't do it for Shettron, we're definitely not playing that game with a three star.
                    3. The way the locks thing was worded makes me feel like one of them is Gentry Williams (no complaints from me)

Comment

As far as the 4 star Safety from Ocala who gave OU his commitment but then told OU he wants to visit Missouri, BV showed him he plays hardball. "If you visit Missouri, you aren't really committed and I'm looking for another Safety". After seeing CW, MW, and Hazewood-all 5 stars, enter the portal, BV didn't waste any time in finding replacements.

Either the recruit joins OU and beomes a champion or he takes a chance of losing his OU spot to become a loser at Mizzou. If I were that kid, I know what I'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post
                        As far as the 4 star Safety from Ocala who gave OU his commitment but then told OU he wants to visit Missouri, BV showed him he plays hardball. "If you visit Missouri, you aren't really committed and I'm looking for another Safety". After seeing CW, MW, and Hazewood-all 5 stars, enter the portal, BV didn't waste any time in finding replacements.

Either the recruit joins OU and beomes a champion or he takes a chance of losing his OU spot to become a loser at Mizzou. If I were that kid, I know what I'd do.
                        Not saying playing hardball is wrong if BV is doing that, but the kids will do as they want without second thought at the time

Comment

Originally posted by EatLeadCommie View Post

I’m thinking more the Sean Taylor type
                          BOOMER!

Comment

I’m thinking more the Sean Taylor type
                            BOOMER!
                            Sean Taylor was 6'2". This guy would dwarf every single player in the secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

Not saying playing hardball is wrong if BV is doing that, but the kids will do as they want without second thought at the time
                              You can't fix stupid. If they don't learn what commitment means now they never will.
                              Last edited by sOUltrain; 01-25-2022, 09:13 PM.

Comment

inaccurate title: SIX defenders

Comment

I can't wait to see Kanak and Stutsman tearing people up. Although isn't he a 2022 guy, not 2023?

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

Brent said once they offer and a guy commits, they are done recruiting for that spot. No more losing guys' at the 11th hour because they want to flirt a little more. Brent is committed to them and he expects the same in return.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

Brent said once they offer and a guy commits, they are done recruiting for that spot. No more losing guys' at the 11th hour because they want to flirt a little more. Brent is committed to them and he expects the same in return.
                                      That's the way it should be IMO. This business of committing to a school but continuing to visit other places has never sounded like much of a commitment. I have no issue with a player enjoying the whole recruiting experience. Definitely take advantage of that but don't commit while you continue to look for something better. Wait until you know.

Comment

At 6’4” & 315 or so pounds currently, he’s a big young man lol.

https://twitter.com/CharlieS_TFB/status/

https://247sports.com/Player/Xzavier-McLeod-46100066/
                                        https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...-mcleod-262521
                                        https://www.on3.com/db/xzavier-mcleod-122267/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13000097/Xzavier-Mcleod

Comment

https://twitter.com/getrightderrick/status/

https://247sports.com/player/derrick-leblanc-46098673/
                                          https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...leblanc-257615
                                          https://www.on3.com/db/derrick-leblanc-35112/

Comment

OU will lose guys if they can’t take visits while committed. Taking official visits is a pretty big perk of being a P5 recruit. I would say recruits can call their commitment status whatever they want, just with the understanding that we don’t stop looking until they shut it down. If being publicly “committed” doesn’t mean you’ll sign your NLI with us, then it doesn’t mean we’ll fax you one. I’d be fine with OU being the first to take a PR hit for recruiting over a “commit” who kept shopping.

With whatever supposed package of NIL regulations is coming down the pike needs to come an end to NSD and “commitments.” You should be able to sign your NLI at any time after some set age/grade, and it should be binding unless your head coach, coordinator, or position coach leaves, or unless you want to use your one free transfer before starting school. Then it’s simple for everyone: if you’re really committed, sign on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                                              OU will lose guys if they can’t take visits while committed. Taking official visits is a pretty big perk of being a P5 recruit. I would say recruits can call their commitment status whatever they want, just with the understanding that we don’t stop looking until they shut it down. If being publicly “committed” doesn’t mean you’ll sign your NLI with us, then it doesn’t mean we’ll fax you one. I’d be fine with OU being the first to take a PR hit for recruiting over a “commit” who kept shopping.

With whatever supposed package of NIL regulations is coming down the pike needs to come an end to NSD and “commitments.” You should be able to sign your NLI at any time after some set age/grade, and it should be binding unless your head coach, coordinator, or position coach leaves, or unless you want to use your one free transfer before starting school. Then it’s simple for everyone: if you’re really committed, sign on the line.
                                              That ship has sailed.

With the current portal, I barely watch recruting

Comment

They may lose guys over it but I’m still on board with BV’s approach. You commit to OU then I’m gonna stop recruiting but if you keep visiting then YOU run the risk of losing the offer. Simple. I want you here and you claim you wanna be here but if I see ya out flirting around then that’s on you when you get left behind.

Comment

Here's the thing though, if a recruit keeps taking visits while committed then he was never really committed. Therefore there is nothing to lose. Said recruit was simply holding a spot or using it as leverage for other offers, not 'committed'.

Comment

From OU 247, OU has landed a commit for the ‘23 class. Will be coming out shortly! Boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Empire View Post
                                                      From OU 247, OU has landed a commit for the ‘23 class. Will be coming out shortly! Boom.
                                                      Ashton Cozart? He had a crystal ball or two yesterday, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post

Ashton Cozart? He had a crystal ball or two yesterday, I think.
                                                        Got Fong’d to us just now; 6/10.

Comment

Eric Mccarty just committed to Oklahoma.

Comment

His film is pretty good, but he’s not super highly regarded by the sites. Not sure what position he’ll play at OU.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

His film is pretty good, but he’s not super highly regarded by the sites. Not sure what position he’ll play at OU.
                                                                Unfortunately for the kid being recognized, some of it depends on how families ability to get him to camps, get him exposed (no pun Trey) and to have a coach from HS that has connections.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

Unfortunately for the kid being recognized, some of it depends on how families ability to get him to camps, get him exposed (no pun Trey) and to have a coach from HS that has connections.
                                                                  Now that he's committed to a big-name school, it will attract the interest of other schools and the pay site guys.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

I wouldn’t worry about the “sites”. He’s a big, strong, fast, elite athlete. He’ll probably play safety unless he grows into a LB.

Comment

Hopefully he doesn’t have a baby momma.

Comment

Tre Wisner's mom after his visit

Comment

Comment

Now that he's committed to a big-name school, it will attract the interest of other schools and the pay site guys.
                                                                            When OU makes a good evaluation and gets an early commitment way under the radar, the guy shoots up the rankings and the bagman cometh. When OU gets a commitment from a guy who’s already highly ranked, he drops like a rock. That’s how this works

Comment

Some crystal balls rolling in for this kid, Dylan Edwards. What I can tell: Kansas player of the year; K-State legacy (his old man played for Snyder); little guy who put up big stats; has a lot of solid but not elite offers; hopefully will become what Raleek Brown was supposed to be.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Edwards-46111508/

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ashton_Cozart25/status/

Comment

Some crystal balls rolling in for this kid, Dylan Edwards. What I can tell: Kansas player of the year; K-State legacy (his old man played for Snyder); little guy who put up big stats; has a lot of solid but not elite offers; hopefully will become what Raleek Brown was supposed to be.

Lebby has had two smaller backs already that he can show him film of. Otis Anderson at UCF(RIP) and Jerron Ealy at Ole Miss. This kid won’t stay a 3 star for long though. 12.5 yards per carry in 6A Kansas football. I imagine OU wants him as the utility back, Wisner as a true 3 down back, and a heavy kid as the bruising back. Lebby likes to use 3-4 RBs every game. Those two would be a hella of start at the position. Both have home run speed.
                                                                                  Last edited by TheJaffe; 01-30-2022, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I'd be surprised if he isn't looked at as KR/PR and slot

4.3 40 elusive fast. If you are averaging ten years a touch for over 400 touches, you have something going on

Comment

4.3 40 elusive fast. If you are averaging ten years a touch for over 400 touches, you have something going on
                                                                                      Does he really have legit 4.3 speed? Kansas HS football is very weak with little D1 talent.

Comment

Sweet Jesus. 10 years a touch? How old is this dude?

Comment

Originally posted by BMW View Post

Sweet Jesus. 10 years a touch? How old is this dude?
                                                                                          Lol

He ages people as he flies by them.

Comment

Looks like DeAndre Moore decommitted.

Comment

Noticed Matayo Uiagalelei doesn’t have an offer from OU. Is this Brent being “nice” and not recruiting a kid who was recruited while he was at Clemson? There’s obviously a family connection with the starting QB at Clemson, but dude has offers from Bama and other heavy hitters. I searched for Matayo on here and came up with nada.

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Sand View Post
                                                                                                It doesn't matter, we're in it for the culture. Or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJaffe View Post

Lebby has had two smaller backs already that he can show him film of. Otis Anderson at UCF(RIP) and Jerron Ealy at Ole Miss. This kid won’t stay a 3 star for long though. 12.5 yards per carry in 6A Kansas football. I imagine OU wants him as the utility back, Wisner as a true 3 down back, and a heavy kid as the bruising back. Lebby likes to use 3-4 RBs every game. Those two would be a hella of start at the position. Both have home run speed.
                                                                                                  Wow! He averages 12.5 yards per carry. That means he picks up five first downs for every four times he carries the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by RIP CLAYBOURNE View Post

It doesn't matter, we're in it for the culture. Or something like that.
                                                                                                    He didn’t have a very good year.

Comment

Originally posted by Quik Sand View Post
                                                                                                      I’ve been wanting to go to Oklahoma since the 7th grade. I don’t know how many people know that but it has always been my dream school and it was never about the coaching staff for me. I liked coach Riley, don’t get me wrong. I was looking forward to playing for him but that was more the cherry on top for me. I was going to Oklahoma because I love the school, and that’s still the case for me.
                                                                                                      “I’ve known him (DeMarco) since my freshman year, he’s a great person and a great coach, and I hope the next head coach decides to keep him,” Moore said. “I talked to him the day Riley left for USC, just to let him know I was still a Sooner and wasn’t going anywhere. There’s nothing like having a coach that comes from where you come from and has experienced everything you want to achieve in life, and that’s what I have with DeMarco.”
                                                                                                      That's what he told 247 just last month. This is why I never get too worked up over recruiting.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1