Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

We are.

But as with Wisner, we are in on the top 5 position kids.

It's very competitive
    Wisner to Horns.

Comment

I don’t buy Wisner ends up a longhorn in December.. This commit is coming off a post-visit high. Once the Horns self destruct like they always do, he’ll back off his commit.

Comment

Not being a dick. Just in case you didn't know

Go to 24/7 and look at Sooners and 2023 or 2024 commits.

Tab down to "offers" or "prospects" not sure which one and they are categorized by position.

I think we had offers out on the #2, #3 and Blogs RB in the US.

DEEP into SEC / old Clemson recruiting grounds.
        Offers don’t mean we’re “in” on anyone. I don’t see any top 5 RB in ‘23 that we have a legit shot at, and wisner wasn’t top 5 either.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

Offers don’t mean we’re “in” on anyone. I don’t see any top 5 RB in ‘23 that we have a legit shot at, and wisner wasn’t top 5 either.
          And you have determined this exactly how?

Comment

And you have determined this exactly how?
            I get what you’re saying but I’ve heard this before. I guess we’ll see. This is not worth arguing about anyway.

Comment

Venables came out and said we're not pressuring kids to commit until they are ready to shut it down, and people are surprised we don't have a crap ton of commits?

This is part of the process. Better this than push for an early commit that keeps you guessing whether or not they'll stay all the way to signing day.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
                Venables came out and said we're not pressuring kids to commit until they are ready to shut it down, and people are surprised we don't have a crap ton of commits?

This is part of the process. Better this than push for an early commit that keeps you guessing whether or not they'll stay all the way to signing day.
                I dunno if that will work or not, some/most of the recruits will move on to other options. Bottom line is and some may not like to hear it but..OU needs those recruits more than the recruits need OU...

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonOberon View Post

As a coach I would encourage player to explore all options and get as much bag money as possible (keeping it is legal) then come sign here and win a championship.

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

I dunno if that will work or not, some/most of the recruits will move on to other options. Bottom line is and some may not like to hear it but..OU needs those recruits more than the recruits need OU...
                    Orrrrrrrr you keep recruiting the shit outta the kids until they sign. I’m not 100% sure how it’s going to all play out but if a kid commits at the spring game but takes officials elsewhere I wouldn’t consider it a particularly solid commitment. It may be semantics but if we aren’t turning up the heat until closer to signing day while still being a force along the way it may just work.

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

LOL. BV has always been able to recruit. The staff he has assembled has a proven track record of elite recruiting. I’m confident BV will get the players we need to win it all.

The previous staff had numerous decommits, which is normal in todays world. I’m confident the end result for OU will be better with BV staff than we’ve seen around here in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

F stars. OUr coaches want winners.

Comment

None of these “commitments” matter til they sign…. And nowadays it doesn’t even fucking matter then!!
                          Vennie has a good approach. Take your visits… make sure OU is what you want and come back.
                          How committed was McClellen??? Not very…

Comment

Originally posted by Dagnorbert View Post
                            None of these “commitments” matter til they sign…. And nowadays it doesn’t even fucking matter then!!
                            Vennie has a good approach. Take your visits… make sure OU is what you want and come back.
                            It will be interesting to see how this approach works compared to getting the commitment and hanging on to dear life afterwards. My only concern about it is that players tend to like what they see last better than what they saw sixth months ago. Getting them to commit after stuff like the Champ BBQ may counteract that to some degree.

We will see how this all works out. From my perspective we are going to need to have a lot of in season visits doing it the way we are doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post

F stars. OUr coaches want winners.
                              [Insert Mike Singletary. Gif]

Comment

Originally posted by Dagnorbert View Post
                                If they don’t regulate the portal, it’s going to get even crazier. Guys will be moving from aTm to OU to texas, etc. every year.

Comment

Kaleb Spencer poised for some type of announcement

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprecht View Post

It will be interesting to see how this approach works compared to getting the commitment and hanging on to dear life afterwards.
                                    The way it's been working is we get a commitment and then have to worry all the way to signing day if it's going to stick. This method is about wondering what's going on and trusting that Brent knows what he's doing and is accurately gauging what the recruits are doing. I'm not sure which is better. The first one makes you feel better in general but there's always that thought that Bama is going to swoop in at the last minute and then we're really screwed at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post

The way it's been working is we get a commitment and then have to worry all the way to signing day if it's going to stick. This method is about wondering what's going on and trusting that Brent knows what he's doing and is accurately gauging what the recruits are doing. I'm not sure which is better. The first one makes you feel better in general but there's always that thought that Bama is going to swoop in at the last minute and then we're really screwed at that position.
                                      We will know in a few months. I would have been 100% behind the Venables method at any point over the last 20 years until now. NIL and the portal have completely changed the game and our staff has to adapt.

I will give it until the end of September to see the fruits of their labor. I suspect most of our prime targets are waiting to see how we look a few games into the season before they buy in, as I am myself.

Comment

Landed Kaleb Spencer today, 3* DB out of Virginia. He’s not super highly regarded by the services and doesn’t have a great offer list, but he’s certainly got good size. He’s a big man.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post
                                          Landed Kaleb Spencer today, 3* DB out of Virginia. He’s not super highly regarded by the services and doesn’t have a great offer list, but he’s certainly got good size. He’s a big man.
                                          LSU and Penn State offered. That’s enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJaffe View Post

LSU and Penn State offered. That’s enough for me.
                                            Those are solid offers, but I always get extra excited about a recruit when he has an offer from one of the big four, Alabama, Clemson, tOSU, and Georgia.

His film is the real deal, though. I bet he gets one of those offers before it’s all said and done. We’re going to have to fight to keep him.

Comment

I don't care if Spencer is a zero star - his film makes him look like the Waterboy

Comment

His film is legit. Reminds me a lot of Keenan Clayton.

Comment

As Kaleb Spencer walked around campus and took in Oklahoma's spring game, it became clear he found his home.

The Chester (Va.) Life Christian hybrid safety prospect knew for a while he would be a Sooner, and the 6-foot-3, 200-pound hard-hitting prospect made it official Monday by announcing his commitment to Oklahoma.

"I loved the atmosphere there and everything coach (Brent) Venables brought back to the program," Spencer said. "It really stood out to me that they came back out to show love like that for coach Venables, so I knew that program would be good for me

Comment

After watching his film, I’ll be interested to see if Spencer flies up the recruiting rankings the way Robert Spears-Jennings did last year.

Comment

After watching his film, I’ll be interested to see if Spencer flies up the recruiting rankings the way Robert Spears-Jennings did last year.
                                                      Once he gets some exposure he should. It looks like very few visits or camps.

Comment

Once he gets some exposure he should. It looks like very few visits or camps.
                                                        Looks like perhaps a small private HS too with little exposure. Offers will probably start flying in and he will end up being a high 4 star. If Brent wants him this early in the game you know he is exactly what Brent is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post

Looks like perhaps a small private HS too with little exposure. Offers will probably start flying in and he will end up being a high 4 star. If Brent wants him this early in the game you know he is exactly what Brent is looking for.
                                                          Based on film, he is fast, agile, moves laterally in a blur, and hits like a tank. Real old school safety

Comment

Based on film, he is fast, agile, moves laterally in a blur, and hits like a tank. Real old school safety
                                                            I was really impressed with his highlight video, he’s very physical near the line of scrimmage. He reminds me of Nic Harris.

Comment

My friend with a Rivals subscription told me that Reid Mikeska is visiting Norman this weekend. He’s a 4* TE who’s currently committed to Clemson. He has offers from two of the big four. I’m a little surprised BV is hosting a kid who’s already committed to his former employer.

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                                "I loved the atmosphere there and everything coach (Brent) Venables brought back to the program," Spencer said.
                                                                I like this kid.

Comment

My friend with a Rivals subscription told me that Reid Mikeska is visiting Norman this weekend. He’s a 4* TE who’s currently committed to Clemson. He has offers from two of the big four. I’m a little surprised BV is hosting a kid who’s already committed to his former employer.
                                                                  Hopefully, that promise was only for the first year. Dabo can't expect Brent to extend that courtesy permanently.

Comment

Mikeska formally decommitted from Clemson tonight. A lot of the recruiting sites are forecasting him to us. Would be a nice flip.

Comment

Mikeska formally decommitted from Clemson tonight. A lot of the recruiting sites are forecasting him to us. Would be a nice flip.
                                                                      To be fair, the kid is a Houston product and we offered him only 2 months after Clemson.

And FTW, according to 247 it shows Parker Thune CB'ed him to OU. The timeline shows he was Fong'ed

Comment

To be fair, the kid is a Houston product and we offered him only 2 months after Clemson.

And FTW, according to 247 it shows Parker Thune CB'ed him to OU. The timeline shows he was Fong'ed
                                                                        Big frame. Why so little star love? Is this one of those kids that will move up in the “expert” rankings this year?

Comment

4* LB out of PA, Phil Picciotti, released his top 4 today. We’re in it along with Nebraska, Michigan, and Auburn. He was long considered to be a Penn State lock, but the hometown favorites didn’t even make the cut. I’m sure we’ll pursue hard cause there’s nothing on earth Brent Venables loves more than a white LB.

Roger Steffen
                                                                          Rocky Calmus
                                                                          Teddy Lehman
                                                                          Ryan Reynolds
                                                                          Austin Box
                                                                          B-randon Crow
                                                                          Jayden Bird
                                                                          Tom Wort
                                                                          Jaren Kanak
                                                                          TD Roof

I forget anyone?
                                                                          Last edited by soonerbms; 05-13-2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

4* LB out of PA, Phil Picciotti, released his top 4 today. We’re in it along with Nebraska, Michigan, and Auburn. He was long considered to be a Penn State lock, but the hometown favorites didn’t even make the cut. I’m sure we’ll pursue hard cause there’s nothing on earth Brent Venables loves more than a white LB.

Roger Steffen
                                                                            Rocky Calmus
                                                                            Teddy Lehman
                                                                            Ryan Reynolds
                                                                            Austin Box
                                                                            B-randon Crow
                                                                            Jayden Bird
                                                                            Tom Wort
                                                                            Jaren Kanak
                                                                            TD Roof

I forget anyone?
                                                                            Yes, you forgot the non-white LBs he’s coached and recruited. What a bizarre post, even for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
                                                                              Yes, you forgot the non-white LBs he’s coached and recruited. What a bizarre post, even for you.
                                                                              Wasn’t that bizarre. Just pointing out that he has a type at linebacker. When he was here the first time, we had all these white LBs. Once he left, we didn’t recruit any other than Stutsman. Now that he’s back, we’re pursuing him again. I’m not assigning any motivation to it. Just a funny observation.
                                                                              Last edited by soonerbms; 05-13-2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Roger Steffen
                                                                                Rocky Calmus
                                                                                Teddy Lehman
                                                                                Ryan Reynolds
                                                                                Austin Box
                                                                                B-randon Crow
                                                                                Jayden Bird
                                                                                Tom Wort
                                                                                Jaren Kanak
                                                                                TD Roof

I forget anyone?
                                                                                So you have 6 examples of white linebackers that he recruited when he was here for 10 years? I would have thought it would have been more.

Comment

Originally posted by OUMick View Post

So you have 6 examples of white linebackers that he recruited when he was here for 10 years? I would have thought it would have been more.
                                                                                  I’m sure I forgot a couple. There was a kid from Georgia named Franklin or something. Again, it was just an observation.

Comment

There were more. Gabe Toomey, Dane Zaslaw, Russell Dennison, Gus Jones as well as the Daniel Franklin guy he mentioned in a later post.

No matter what color you are play recognition is more important than anything for a linebacker.

I know we aren't big fans of Pat Jones but he had a great line about this.

He said that the last thing he needed was to have his linebackers running around like "unchained idiots".

Comment

Originally posted by smusooner View Post

Big frame. Why so little star love? Is this one of those kids that will move up in the “expert” rankings this year?
                                                                                      Who knows.

I can't keep up anymore TBH. With the portal I have all but given up trying.

Comment

Who knows.

I can't keep up anymore TBH. With the portal I have all but given up trying.
                                                                                        Yeah same here. At least we got that part of our lives back ;)

Comment

There were more. Gabe Toomey, Dane Zaslaw, Russell Dennison, Gus Jones as well as the Daniel Franklin guy he mentioned in a later post.

No matter what color you are play recognition is more important than anything for a linebacker.

He said that the last thing he needed was to have his linebackers running around like "unchained idiots".
                                                                                          I heard Stoops say after a in an interiew a long time ago it doesn't matter if the linebacker runs a 4.3 if he isn't going the right way he's getting farther away from the play faster.

I knew there were more but even that number doesn't really show a preference for "white" linebackers over a decade of recruiting.

Comment

1. Instinctive play recognition
                                                                                            2. Pursuit through traffic
                                                                                            3. Lateral movement

On #2, my old position coach told me a sign of a great linebacker is if opposing offenses tend to run the ball right at him rather than away from him. A great LB will blow up plays that he pursues from accross the field. Calmus was exceptional at pursuit.

Comment

Originally posted by BirtDurglar View Post

1. Instinctive play recognition
                                                                                              2. Pursuit through traffic
                                                                                              3. Lateral movement

On #2, my old position coach told me a sign of a great linebacker is if opposing offenses tend to run the ball right at him rather than away from him. A great LB will blow up plays that he pursues from accross the field. Calmus was exceptional at pursuit.
                                                                                              Spot on.

Kaleb Spencer is coming as a safety. But at 6'3 and 200, he is likely a few sessions with Schmitty away from LB status. if he can keep that lateral speed - a nose for the play that is difficult to teach - watch out.

Comment

Spot on.

Kaleb Spencer is coming as a safety. But at 6'3 and 200, he is likely a few sessions with Schmitty away from LB status. if he can keep that lateral speed - a nose for the play that is difficult to teach - watch out.
                                                                                                Watching his film, I thought they may fatten him up and play him at linebacker. He hits like one.

Comment

Watching his film, I thought they may fatten him up and play him at linebacker. He hits like one.
                                                                                                  I said it before, but I think Keenan Clayton is the best comparison.

Comment

A Caucasian linebacker named Phil Piccioti who plays at Pennridge HS in Perkasie, Pennsylvania doesn’t end up at Penn State?

What alternate reality am I living in?

Comment

I said it before, but I think Keenan Clayton is the best comparison.
                                                                                                      That's fair

https://youtu.be/cYJQpP6_Mi8

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1