First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Empire View Post
    A Caucasian linebacker named Phil Piccioti who plays at Pennridge HS in Perkasie, Pennsylvania doesn’t end up at Penn State?

What alternate reality am I living in?
    He’s headed to play for the white LB whisperer.

Comment

Tap the top line

Comment

So if he commits, I assume that means he's shutting down his recruitment given Venables's policy on verbal commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by Widescreen View Post
          So if he commits, I assume that means he's shutting down his recruitment given Venables's policy on verbal commitments.
          Damn right. Nobody asks a girl to marry him and set the date for next October and then say, "just to make sure we are right for each other, I'm going to take that girl over there out on a date."

Comment

So I guess Cozart is the first to put the policy to the test. Is he decommitted or are we really going to look at the WR situation and tell him to pound sand?

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
              So I guess Cozart is the first to put the policy to the test. Is he decommitted or are we really going to look at the WR situation and tell him to pound sand?
              I assume he’s already told the staff he’s decommiting. If so, fuck him. At first, I was very skeptical of Venables policy, but I like the tone it sets honestly. OU is a special place and commits need to be serious about coming to play for this program.

Comment

Originally posted by AppySooner View Post
                I’m not gonna ever worry about us and WR. Either way, we’ll be fine. Great WR are a dime a dozen.

Comment

You all should hold off on the bad-mouthing until you know the facts. BV never said kids couldn't ask the staff if they could take visits. If he asks, permission is given and he decommits, he was going to de-commit anyways.

Comment

Not sure I like this policy. Does Clemson use it?

Comment

Originally posted by R.D. Mercer View Post
                      Not sure I like this policy. Does Clemson use it?
                      From what I have seen, yes they do.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post
                          You all should hold off on the bad-mouthing until you know the facts. BV never said kids couldn't ask the staff if they could take visits. If he asks, permission is given and he decommits, he was going to de-commit anyways.
                          2 crystal balls for Cozart to Oregon and he hasn’t decommitted officially.

This policy is fucking dumb and pointless

The positive was supposed to be that kids won’t keep searching around after they commit, but it’s evident that they are going to anyways… and if a kid is honest about still wanting to go on visits, we won’t let them commit which is undoubtably a negative because once someone commits to a school there is definitely more pressure to stick with a commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkansooner View Post

The positive was supposed to be that kids won’t keep searching around after they commit, but it’s evident that they are going to anyways… and if a kid is honest about still wanting to go on visits, we won’t let them commit which is undoubtably a negative because once someone commits to a school there is definitely more pressure to stick with a commitment.
                            Money talks... "honor, character, becoming a great man" walks.

Comment

Sounds like OU parted ways with Ashton Cozart. If Oregon wants to waste tons of NIL money on a 5.7 3-Star WR, they can have him. No position group has a bigger bust rate than Wide Receivers. They’re dime a dozen.

Comment

We’ll see how the policy looks in December. Until then no bitching from me.

Comment

Just relax. No need to get your panties in a wad over a WR. BV knows what he’s doing.

Comment

Why did he commit in the first place? Are we suppose to hold spots for guys who aren't sure they want to be here?

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerHank View Post

Just relax. No need to get your panties in a wad over a WR. BV knows what he’s doing.
                                      Exactly. Venables just picked up two 4 star wrs with three years of eligibility left.

Comment

BV definitely deserves at least a year or two of latitude to try it his way, but there is a reason Bob had to move away from a similar policy.

Comment

Originally posted by AdonijahAijalon View Post

Exactly. Venables just picked up two 4 star wrs with three years of eligibility left.
                                          That's probably why Oregon sounded like a good idea. Didn't want to compete.

Comment

This situation may be the reason the 2nd one is coming.

Comment

Maybe why Cozart is drifting..

Comment

Originally posted by OUMick View Post

This situation may be the reason the 2nd one is coming.
                                                Or maybe we’re in this situation because one of these is the 2nd coming

Comment

Are we suppose to hold spots for guys who aren't sure they want to be here?
                                                  That’s a better statement of the policy. If you’re still looking around, we’re still looking around. It’s supposed to come off better if it’s wrapped in principles and the meaning of commitment but I’m not sure it does. Schools don’t hold all the power anymore and there shouldn’t be anything wrong with them protecting themselves against being left at the altar a year after they cut off communication with plan B and plan C.

Comment

Cozart officially flipped to Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post
                                                      I wish him well. They only have one other WR commit for 2023, so it makes cents for him.

SPOILER What is that?? LISTED NIL VALUES ?

Comment

OU pulled his scholarship after him and venables spoke last Wednesday.

Comment

I kind of got the feeling that something wasn't right. Cozart sounded pretty defensive in his comments.

Comment

Hope they paid him enough to buy a nice big screen TV so he can enjoy watching us play for NCs.

Comment

I stand behind Venables on this policy. He's stated many times a recruit should take all the visits he wants. He's not forcing recruits to commit on the spot.

Comment

I stand behind Venables on this policy. He's stated many times a recruit should take all the visits he wants. He's not forcing recruits to commit on the spot.
                                                                Obvioulsy the commitment wasn't going to stick no matter what the policy is. The policy of being committed didn't cause this kid to go to Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by OUMick View Post

Obvioulsy the commitment wasn't going to stick no matter what the policy is. The policy of being committed didn't cause this kid to go to Oregon.
                                                                  I wonder if the estimated $150k NIL deal has anything to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post

I wonder if the estimated $150k NIL deal has anything to do with it
                                                                    No it's all Venables policy's fault.

Comment

I agree. I also think that BV will recruit the right kind of players for OU. The previous staff would take a lot of guys that were questionable and many of them washed out. How many WR did we have that washed out? How many were drafted?

I think we can give BV the benefit of the doubt and let this play out.

Comment

His recruiting philosophy will either work and we will all be rejoicing, won't work and he will adjust in the next couple of years, or not work and he will be a bust. My guess is we finish where we always do between 7 and 12. Better than most but not good enough to beat the elite of the elite.

Comment

OU offered Cole Adams today.

Comment

I don't see the big deal on the policy. He isn't asking kids to commit when they visit OU. He's just saying if you commit, stay committed and act like it. If that means you have to hold off on your commit or visit OU last, so be it. Nobody made Cozart pull the trigger early. He did that himself and he apparently wasn't ready to do that.

Comment

David hicks is visiting this weekend with his Katy/Paetow teammates.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
                                                                                  His recruiting philosophy will either work and we will all be rejoicing, won't work and he will adjust in the next couple of years, or not work and he will be a bust. My guess is we finish where we always do between 7 and 12. Better than most but not good enough to beat the elite of the elite.
                                                                                  I think you're right. Then again, Clemson was never dominant in the recruiting rankings. It built a lot of its teams through findings hidden gems and developing them. Of course, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence helped some.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

I think you're right. Then again, Clemson was never dominant in the recruiting rankings. It built a lot of its teams through findings hidden gems and developing them. Of course, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence helped some.
                                                                                    Clemson did a few things extremely well: they got top QBs, as you mentioned, and also loaded up on elite defensive line recruits. BV is obviously shooting for the same formula here. OU is competing for d-line recruits that we would have had no shot at in the past, from places where we've never really been a factor. If he starts landing some of those guys then OU will be a factor in the SEC.

Comment

Clemson did a few things extremely well: they got top QBs, as you mentioned, and also loaded up on elite defensive line recruits. BV is obviously shooting for the same formula here. OU is competing for d-line recruits that we would have had no shot at in the past, from places where we've never really been a factor. If he starts landing some of those guys then OU will be a factor in the SEC.
                                                                                      What’s crazy is that we actually had some DL last year who were good enough to play at one of the Big 4. Problem is the previous staff absolutely wasted them.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

Clemson recruited SEC level talent for years. They had elite DL/OL and they slowly started recruiting elite skill position players. Their recruiting classes were low balled. Meanwhile, places like texas were overstated and given extra stars.

Clemson has recruited very well for the last 15 years or more, regardless of what their ranking has been. Prior to Saban arriving, Bama had elite level DL/OL but poor skill position players. When franphony was at Bama they still had elite lines but lacked skill position talent. Saban took them to the next level, much like Dabo did with Clemson.

Comment

One time Sooner commit (and staff holdover for a few months) Deandre Moore committed to...Louisville?

Comment

Originally posted by notlaxtothemax12 View Post
                                                                                            One time Sooner commit (and staff holdover for a few months) Deandre Moore committed to...Louisville?
                                                                                            Sometimes that grass isn't always greener

Comment

Originally posted by notlaxtothemax12 View Post
                                                                                              A lot of teams(OU included) backed off of Moore due to Injuries/lack of production last year. He did not have a strong junior year at all.

He was definitely over-hyped by the previous staff(Linc and Co.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post

Sometimes that grass isn't always greener
                                                                                                You saying they gave him free grass?

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner Schooner View Post

You saying they gave him free grass?
                                                                                                  blue grass, perhaps?

Comment

Since I don't see any top 10 or 15 QBs showing much interest in OU is it a new formula, get QBs who can run the new system and just be a good manager on the field?

Comment

Originally posted by 61Sooner View Post
                                                                                                      Since I don't see any top 10 or 15 QBs showing much interest in OU is it a new formula, get QBs who can run the new system and just be a good manager on the field?
                                                                                                      OU already has a top-6 QB committed for 2023.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                                                      X
                                                                                                      UA-124223861-1