Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cole Adams of Owasso - Why Aren't We Recruiting Him?

Collapse

First Unread Thread Button

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cole Adams of Owasso - Why Aren't We Recruiting Him?

Bill Haisten: As OU and OSU drag their feet, Alabama dazzles Owasso's Cole Adams

OWASSO — When Bill Blankenship was the University of Tulsa’s first-year head football coach in 2011, Holman Wiggins was a staff member.

Currently, Wiggins is Alabama’s receivers coach and Nick Saban’s assistant head coach of offense.

Blankenship has been the Owasso head man since 2017, and on Wednesday he had a visitor. It was Holman, who traveled to Oklahoma to spend some time with a Crimson Tide recruiting target: Rams wide receiver Cole Adams, a freakishly athletic and fast Class of 2023 prospect who has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, LSU and Texas A&M of the SEC, but, weirdly enough, not from SEC-bound Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.

Scholarship offers have come from 18 schools. The University of Tulsa offered. So did Iowa State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Mississippi State and Tennessee.

But not OU or Oklahoma State. Not yet.

I get stuck on the OU-and-OSU part of this story because it makes no sense. Why would a four-star Oklahoma athlete like Adams not be a high-priority figure at each of the OU/OSU schools?

If you’re familiar with OU’s personnel but haven’t seen Adams play, he is built like Drake Stoops was built during his high school run at Norman North.

Adams is 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds. Too small, you might say? Adams is taller than either of Bixby’s Presley brothers — the last two Oklahoma players of the year. Adams is the same size today that Odell Beckham Jr. was as a high school athlete.

Stoops is an outstanding receiver with nice football speed. Adams is a brilliant player with phenomenal hands, unteachable instincts and track speed.

The next three months will be eventful. In May, Adams competes in postseason track meets and participates in spring football. After that, he’ll take five official recruiting visits. He has not decided on the five destinations.

Preseason football practice begins in early August. Owasso opens the season with a blockbuster — a late August home clash against Bixby.

At some point before the Bixby game, Adams intends to announce his commitment. He plans to graduate from Owasso High School in December, be on a college campus in January and run on Power Five turf during 2023 spring practice.

In January, Adams recalls, “I got a text from Bill Blankenship saying that (two Alabama staff members) were going to start hitting me up. I prayed about it. I thanked God for it. When I heard about that, I was just blown away.

“I had some big offers before that ... but when Alabama hit me up — Nick Saban and those guys are legends down there.”

Adams recited a stat: Within Alabama’s past nine graduating classes, each player left with a national championship ring.

“I’m loving the recruiting process,” Adams said. “It’s new to me and my family. (There are) a lot of mentors around me and coaches helping me through the process.”

This week, Adams did make an unofficial visit to OU and posed for photos while wearing Sooner colors. Still, there has been no official offer from Brent Venables.

“This upcoming spring ball,” Adams reported, “(OU) is coming out to watch me, as well as Alabama, Arkansas and those other schools.”

Cole Adams is the younger brother of former Rams star Dawson Adams and the twin brother of Jake Adams, Owasso’s kicker. Their mom is Kristi Adams, a former Webster athlete who now teaches in the Owasso school system.

Their dad is Mike Adams, a former football and track star at Memorial and at Northeastern State in Tahlequah. Mike was an undrafted rookie defensive back with the 1988 Dallas Cowboys (the final Tom Landry-coached Cowboys team). On a daily basis, Adams’ coverage assignment was to shadow another Cowboy rookie — wide receiver Michael Irvin. Mike Adams played in two preseason games and survived the first two cuts during that training camp, but not the third.

During the 2022 season, there won’t be any diminishing of the star power that defined Tulsa-area high school football during the past decade.

Booker T. Washington’s Micah Tease is a fantastic two-way performer. As Bixby shifts to Class 6AI after having been the seven-time 6AII champion, twin brothers Luke and Dylan Hasz are still on the Spartans’ roster. As a ninth-grader last season, Shaker Reisig quarterbacked Jenks to the 6AI championship.

Cole Adams’ talent can be explained pretty easily: An Alabama assistant spent his Wednesday in Owasso, and Adams was 100% of the reason why.

The versatile Adams is a Dillon Stoner type who impacts winning in every possible way. He has scored touchdowns on receptions, on run plays, on kickoff returns and on punt returns. As a lefty with a nice release, he has thrown a touchdown pass.

As the holder on extra-point kicks, Adams has collected the snap and rolled to either side for two-point conversions. He has blocked a punt. During the fourth quarter of a close game, he’s in the defensive backfield.

In Owasso’s 41-40 upset loss at Broken Arrow in a 6AI quarterfinal last season, Adams’ stunning performance included two kickoff-return touchdowns and a 42-yard TD reception. He also popped a 75-yard punt return, but that play was wiped out because of a penalty.

For the Rams’ track program, Adams runs the 100 meters (with a 10.65-second personal best) and the 200. He is a member of the 4-by-100 and 4-by-200 relay teams. An athlete’s speed isn’t considered elite unless there’s been a sub-seven-second sprint in the 60 meters, and Adams has done that.

Blankenship’s assessment: “Cole is definitely in the conversation of the best I’ve coached (at the high school level).”

Why would OU and OSU coaches allow Alabama to outwork them for an in-state playmaker who has a 3.63 grade point average and serves as a mentor for Special Olympics athletes?

I consider Cole Adams a can’t-miss guy at the next level, but don’t take my word for it. Arkansas’ Sam Pittman and Alabama’s Nick Saban seem anxious to coach him.

By dragging their feet, the Sooners and Cowboys seem to have given Alabama a head start in the relationship game.

He was in Norman, on campus three days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoots View Post
      He was in Norman, on campus three days ago.
      NOT an official visit though.

Comment

Not that it matters that much but Blankenship isn't what one would call a huge OU fan

Comment

Originally posted by soonergrad View Post

NOT an official visit though.
          So what is your point? Each recruit is only allowed to take only up to 5 official visits, total. And he has not taken a single official visit to any university. He has no official visits scheduled to any university. Lots of recruits visit OU on unofficial visits. That shows their genuine interest as the travel, meals, lodging-if needed, are paid by recruit.

Comment

Ran 10.65 100M as a sophomore. That’s flying for a kid that age.

Comment

Originally posted by MichSooner View Post

So what is your point? Each recruit is only allowed to take only up to 5 official visits, total. And he has not taken a single official visit to any university. He has no official visits scheduled to any university. Lots of recruits visit OU on unofficial visits. That shows their genuine interest as the travel, meals, lodging-if needed, are paid by recruit.
              Venebles NOR anyone on the OU staff has even been to VISIT him...

Comment

Well clearly Venables and his staff are already making plans to head west to take Chip Kelley’s place at UCLA in January so they are blowing off this season and are only interested in recruiting kids who will be happy to follow them to Westwood.

Comment

So????? First, they just got here. Had to recruit the current roster to remain on the team. Do you have a list of people they HAVE personally visited? Do you have a list of people on the upcoming list of personal visits? Do you have a list of every recruit in America because their are thousands that have not received a visit from the OU staff as of yet.
                  The player might be someone to consider. I saw Owasso play last season and did not notice him. And I do recall vividly how Dominque Franks, Rocky Calmus, and Austin Box and others that dominated the high school football field when I saw them playing, in the day.
                  Last edited by MichSooner; 04-23-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

They just got here. They have to evaluate every player on scholarship and then evaluate all the recruiting prospects they aren’t familiar with previously.

Maybe you should apply for an analyst position on BV staff so you can keep him advised.

Comment

So this kid is gonna visit Bama. Well, that’ll need to labeled “Cole’s day in hell.”

Comment

So I see we are playing the “current head coach of OU is never wrong” game again…. I remember when TBOW was never wrong too…

Comment

So I see we are playing the “current head coach of OU is never wrong” game again…. I remember when TBOW was never wrong too…
                          No, no, no. We are saying YOU are wrong. And it is not a game we are playing. It is the real deal.

Comment

No, no, no. We are saying YOU are wrong. And it is not a game we are playing. It is the real deal.
                            Yeah, just like I was “wrong” about TBOW

Comment

Yeah, just like I was “wrong” about TBOW
                              Looking for validation from the people you troll?

Good luck with that.

Comment

I only seem Cole once and the Presley guy few times...Adams kid is good but not near as much as Presley

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post
                                  I only seem Cole once and the Presley guy few times...Adams kid is good but not near as much as Presley
                                  Back for this momentous occasion and once again find you throwing shade on an attendee and possible OU recruit.

Straight from the 'really' playbook with the prevarications and feint praise.

Comment

I will give Venables the benefit of the doubt on the local players until he doesn't recruit or misses on about five future D1 All Americans like Riley did.

Comment

Originally posted by OU Minister Of Culture View Post

Back for this momentous occasion and once again find you throwing shade on an attendee and possible OU recruit.

Straight from the 'really' playbook with the prevarications and feint praise.
                                      Darren is back and brought his big mouth with him...how in the hell do I even see your post, had you blocked most of last year

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post

Darren is back and brought his big mouth with him...how in the hell do I even see your post, had you blocked most of last year
                                        A contrite apology from you would have been enough but no.

When are you going to change? When are you going to stop with the constant digs and back handed compliments?

You made a declarative statement that "Adams kid is good but not near as much as Presley". You presented this as a statement of fact. Would you like to share with the board how you made this evaluation between a RB/ATH and a more traditional WR? What metrics did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by OU Minister Of Culture View Post

A contrite apology from you would have been enough but no.

When are you going to change? When are you going to stop with the constant digs and back handed compliments?

You made a declarative statement that "Adams kid is good but not near as much as Presley". You presented this as a statement of fact. Would you like to share with the board how you made this evaluation between a RB/ATH and a more traditional WR? What metrics did you use?
                                          He's just one of a ridiculous band of trolling cocksuckers. They should all fucking die.

Comment

I mean, Signing Day isn’t until December, right? The staff will
                                            evaluate him and eventually offer if they like what they see. What’s the hurry?

Comment

Wondering if Soonergrad had any clue about him before Haisten's column?

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post
                                                I mean, Signing Day isn’t until December, right? The staff will
                                                evaluate him and eventually offer if they like what they see. What’s the hurry?
                                                If your question is genuine, then one answer is that another school builds a relationship with him early and often which ou (or any other school late to the party) can't outsell.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Aged Man View Post

If your question is genuine, then one answer is that another school builds a relationship with him early and often which ou (or any other school late to the party) can't outsell.
                                                  It was genuine. I get your point with regards to avoiding another Josh Jacobs situation, but this staff seems pretty deliberate in its evaluation process and will make the offer in the summer if he’s going to receive one.

Also, there may be other factors in ply at. For example, last year, none of us could figure out why OU wouldn’t pursue that 4* DE out of Choctaw. Turns out it’s cause he killed someone. Not saying this kid has done anything bad, but we have to give the new staff some benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Wondering if Soonergrad had any clue about him before Haisten's column?
                                                    Yes. Have seen him play a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by soonerbms View Post

It was genuine. I get your point with regards to avoiding another Josh Jacobs situation, but this staff seems pretty deliberate in its evaluation process and will make the offer in the summer if he’s going to receive one.

Also, there may be other factors in ply at. For example, last year, none of us could figure out why OU wouldn’t pursue that 4* DE out of Choctaw. Turns out it’s cause he killed someone. Not saying this kid has done anything bad, but we have to give the new staff some benefit of the doubt.
                                                      I agree that staff needs some time. Getting to this point in the calendar has been a 24/7 deal for them, I am sure. Seems like a good kid with good parents, so I would be shocked if he's got skeletons.

Comment

Got his OU offer today!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagnorbert View Post
                                                          Got his OU offer today!
                                                          About time. Wonder what took us so long now that he has a close relationship with Saban and Alabama as well as with LSU.

Comment

Probably because Cozart left the class. Glad it happened whatever the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by novasooner View Post
                                                              Probably because Cozart left the class. Glad it happened whatever the reason.
                                                              Yeah the timing would suggest that. I agree…that boy can play! Definitely has legit speed. I was watching his Soph highlight tape…it was all TDs lol.

He kinda reminds me of Gavin Freeman who we just stole from Tech. Not tall but can move. Another Okie WR. Hope we land him

Comment

About time. Wonder what took us so long now that he has a close relationship with Saban and Alabama as well as with LSU.
                                                                I would think that would make you giddy.

Comment

Any relation to uncle Fester?

Comment

Originally posted by OUrage View Post
                                                                    Any relation to uncle Fester?

Comment

Can't believe we lost this guy in our own backyard.

Comment

Can't believe we lost this guy in our own backyard.
                                                                        You didn't.

Comment

What you mean “we” paleface?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Go To Top

Collapse

Working...
                                                                          X
                                                                          UA-124223861-1